“Excelente servicio en el hotel gran velas”

Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Ranked #3 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Francisco, California
“Excelente servicio en el hotel gran velas”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

It's great grand candles in all the facilities a comment for zen lobby buttons that are very good especially a guy called Gustavo is very friendly and attentive and prompt And also

Merry Christmas to all charm us be with us much charm you with all my heart THANKS

Room Tip: The rooms are super comfortable and quiet and sleep well
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
GVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
And a special thank you to you Chris. May your Christmas have all the charm that you have demonstrated towards us at Grand Velas. I will send a special greeting to our bellman Gustavo on your behalf. Happy Holidays Chris.
FERNANDO GARCIA ROSSETTI
fgarciarm@velasresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (781)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 6 December 2013

"If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes". Grand Velas Riviera Maya sets the bar high. From the moment you arrive, you can tell this is going to be something special. We were seated on the lobby couches, and presented with iced drinks and cold towels. The concierge sat with us and reviewed our reservation. Off we went to our room in the Zen section in the jungle part of the resort. We walked past the gym (really nice) and over a thatched roof walking bridge. The doors to the room were impressive oversized wood. Almost like gates. Our suite had been upgraded with a "dipping pool" on the terrace. It was nice to look at but wouldn't pay exra for it. We never set foot in it. Our room was on the first floor and on the waterway. There were plenty of fish and several turtles of all sizes swimming among the lillies. We were very happy with the room and the Zen section. We went to the beach and pool every day, so I was happy to get to enjoy two different types of experiences. Not to mention it was significantly cheaper than the Grand and Ambassador sections.

Transportation was a breeze. We never waited more than a minute or two at the most for the shuttle. And the shuttle trip to to other sections was only a coule of minutes as well.

The property is big and beautiful. I did not feel it was too big or too difficult to maneuver. From our room to the shuttle at the spa or lobby was only a 3-4 minute walk.

It rained the week before our arrival. But we never had a mosquitoe problem. I don't think I saw more that one or two at most. But we were suprised by several racoons, who liked to tip over trash cans looking for snacks. One started to walk toward my room, and I had to close the door quickly. I guess I should have been quicker taking the little guy's picture.

Now the good stuff. The service levels are through the roof. You can't walk for more than a minute without seeing an employee dusting, cleaning, painting, landscaping...well, you get the picture. But more than that, everyone always greeted you with a smile.

The staff at the restaurants was the best I have ever experienced. You always felt like everyone really cared about giving you a remarkable dining experience. It didn't matter if you were at the breakfast or lunch buffet, and a staff member would take your plate to your table for you. Or to let you know that there was only 10 minutes remaining until the buffet switched from breakfast to lunch. The dinners were very "high end". Beautifule dining rooms, 5 star service, and of course excellent food. I had read the reviews and had very high expectations. And they did not disappoint.

Granted, not everyone will like the food, but if you don't like something, order something else. OR order two main courses, or extra appetizers. We typically ordered extra desserts and appetizers.

But the service levels were the main draw for me. It wasn't snooty or high brow. But rather a sincere interest in making you happy.

Next the pools and beach. The pools were gorgeous and plenty of lounge chairs to go around. Plenty of staff to hand you towels and set up your chairs. And we were always asked if we wanted drinks or food.

We always had bottled water in ice buckets on hand. And of course we had our share of beer and icy drinks like margueritas and mudslides. We were even suprised when our servers brought us cold, wet towels and popsicles in the middle of the afternoon.

We ordered grilled chicken, grilled shrimp, and nachos from our lounge chairs on the beach. And the beaches were big, and the white sand, silky soft. You could tell that they were cleaned every day. The ocean did have lots of rocks. But that didn't bother us. But if you have kids, I could see how that could be a bit of a hassle.

We did walk to the property next door, and there was a huge difference. THEY had a tiny beach with lot's of algae. The differences in quality were readily apparent. Unwanted vendors, crowded public areas, etc. I was happy to return to the Grand Velas beach area.

Back to my review.

Let me say that we never felt pressure to tip, although I always wanted to. I'm not sure what the protocol is, but we usually gave 5-10 US dollars when we were leaving the beach for the day. We also tipped at all the restaurants, even the buffet. I would suggest that you leave whatever you are comfortable with. I always tipped in cash, which made checkout a breeze.

Now onto the spa. it was a memorable experience. If you are on the fence, let me help you. Get a massage. My wife, daughter and I had different treatments. And each of us really enjoyed our selection. Get there early for the "water journey". I can't argue with their top 10 world ranking. It was a heavenly experience. I won't go into all the details, but suffice to say we were all impressed.

Now a couple of negatives so you know this review is real.

We made a dinner reservation the day before our arrival on the internet, for our first night, and even got a confirmation number. After checking in the property, we our concierge checked, and the restaurant didn't have our reservation. Our room safe was broken when we got to our room. And although there were three of us in our room, there were only two bathrobes, two sets of slippers, two coffee cups. The short of it is we had to call our concierge three times to get most everything corrected. We went to the beach, and when we came back from to the room, we still didn't have our dinner reservation. So another phone call to the concierge. But that too was finally resolved. The first night turndown service, only two chocolates...

But by day two, things were running smoothly.

Only major gripe was the lack of entertainment on the property. There was a Karaoke bar and piano bar, but they closed early, and did nothing to draw people in. You didn't even know they played music until you were right in front of the entrance. A pool DJ would have been a nice touch.

In closing, we had concerns about picking a destination after reading reviews from various resorts that were all over the board . But if you want a quality experience (property, food, and service), you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for different pillows from the pillow menu.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Larry W
GVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Thank you Larry for taking the time to express your delight in staying with us. Your pleasant description of our Zen ambience is right on the mark. Sharing in the wonders of nature, while residing in a luxurious setting. I am pleased that you felt that our level of service was “through the roof”. You may not have realized it during your stay Larry, but there were 1,200 dedicated staff working directly and indirectly for your comfort and pleasure.

All of us are instilled with the philosophy of dedicated service that the founders of Grand Velas have lent us, and we find it to be our pleasure in exceeding your expectations, as we were able to do in your dining experiences. I do however apologize for the oversights that you experienced on your first day. Errors such as those are not indicative of our level of service, but you can be rest assured that we are excelling in keeping them to a minimum.

Concerning the lack of night life that you felt; it is with great pleasure to announce that not only are we hearing and acting on your comments, but by mid February we will have our evening lounge in operation in our Zen ambience. It will be a special setting where our guests can continue their vacation experience in the good company of others with casual entertainment. I believe that when you return to Grand Velas, we will have addressed that need that was lacking on your first trip.

Larry, I am certainly glad that you chose our resort based on the reviews that you read, and I am even more pleased that we were able to leave a memorable impression on you and your family. Thank you again and Happy Holidays.
Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Just returned from 5 days at Grand Velas and couldn't be more enthusiastic! Both the property and the service were truly first rate. Of all the five star all-inclusives that I have visited, this one is the best and I will be returning.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Larkin191
GVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you for your review on your vacation experience with us. Your feeling of our property and service as being first rate makes us proud and motivated, especially when you consider us the best of all 5 star, all-inclusive hotels that you have visited.

We look forward to hosting you again when you have the opportunity, and it will be our desire to equal or better this first experience that you enjoyed. Thank you again.
Cheshire
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This is a stunning resort in terms of the hotel itself and the location. The hotel manages to harness the natural beauty of the area and become part of it. The pools, beach and grounds are breath-taking. The rooms are exceptionally good (we had a beach suite with pool). The staff are generally very good, especially in Azul where they look after you extremely well, and my wife tells me the spa is astonishing. I would say that the one slightly disappointing aspect is the a la carte restaurants - the food is a bit too fussy / pretentious. The simpler food though such as breakfast, lunch and the buffet in Azul (especially the desserts) is all wonderful. Genuine 5 star hotel overall, very impressive indeed.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank LBEEOV
Thank you for your kind comments on your stay with us at Grand Velas. I enjoyed reading your observation of the natural beauty and surroundings melding nicely with the hotel itself. When planning the shared harmony of the resort with nature it was an intricate theme that was always discussed and eventually implemented in a way where tourism certainly can live hand in hand with the environment and all its splendor. It is an accomplishment that we are most proud of, and a permanent benefit for all of our cherished guests.

I am pleased that you enjoyed most of our culinary options. Our dining selections do provide a gourmet, or grandiose experience. It is our goal that our guests enjoy the savoriness and visual delicacies that our menus provide, as we attempt to have a range of variety for everyone.

Thank you for choosing Grand Velas as your holiday choice, and I am happy that you were very impressed with your overall experience. Take care.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

POSITIVES:

Surroundings: THIS IS PARADISE ON EARTH - weather aside, there are no two questions about this. An all-inclusive with pure class.

Food: A choice of 6 evening restaurents - french/italian/asian/international a la carte/ moleculer (pretentious 8 course dining with average food)/mexican fine dining in addition to 2 brilliant breakfast restaurents and lunchtime places. Food was outstanding overall. Restaurents were variable in service and quality of food etc.. but very good overall.

Service: The queen of england has nothing on this place! Roberto as well as the other concierge staff treated us like we were gods and made it al happend! At the smallest sign of a problem e.g. air con broken or bed bugs - he managed to go above and beyond to not only solve these problems but to also make up for any inconveneince encoutered. The service did drop as the place got busier but that is to be expected. Pool and beach concierges were faultless.

Activities: Countless beach activities on offer. Beach was faultless. Pools were amazing. Tried the Jet skis and the Para-sailing that were amazing. Got bored on second week so did lots of trips to fill the time. Playa Del Carmen was down the road and the hotel provided complementary taxis one way. Jose our Virgin rep met us to plan these and he did a wonderful job with that.

NEGATIVES:

Internet: It was a bugbear of ours that such a world class resort would charge you extortionate prices for internet, when much lesser hotels offer them as complimentary. Paying USD $79 a week is ridiculous after shelling out the amount you do to stay in such a resort. They should just add it onto the upfront charges if they are that bothered about the extra charge!.

Entertainment: Having stayed in several all-inclusives in the past, the hotel does appear to be light on evening entertainment as compared to other hotels. There are NO shows and aside from the bar or empty karaoke rooms, there is little else to do. Luckily we were on honeymoon so we could fill our time with other activities ;)

Overall: Excellent trip - The positives HUGELY outweight the negatives. I would return to this hotel again without question. I would like to thank the staff for making the trip so special for ua.

Room Tip: Always book Grand Class - next to beach and all restaurents.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Sr. Neil, I highly appreciate your balanced view on your recent trip with us. Your descriptions are on the mark in the areas that you mentioned concerning our food, service and activities.

Our wish is to cover even the smallest of details in order to create that “paradise on earth” feeling that you experienced. It is important for me to stress the importance of our valued clients and their satisfaction.

Grand Velas along with the other three resorts in the Group are listening to your feedback and being proactive to your suggestions and needs. As of this week, basic wifi service will be available at no charge throughout Grand Velas, providing a much needed plus for our guests. Also Sr. Neil, as I am right now responding to your splendid review, work is in progress in creating an evening lounge that will provide of course music, dancing and TV sporting events. We plan that this exciting area will be open and in operation in February.

These are just two large areas that we are taking steps in while addressing the comments of our guests. We do this for your ultimate comfort and pleasure, in the hope that our product will be even more complete for you, resulting in more loyal clients of Grand Velas for years to come.

Sr. Neil, congratulations on your recent wedding and now you can be assured that when you say “the positives hugely outweigh the negatives”, that the two negatives mentioned are now converted to positives. Thank you again sir, and our greetings to London.

Lake Bluff, Illinois
Reviewed 29 November 2013

My family just retuned from a one week stay at Grand Velas. I must say it was probably one of our best family vacations. I was leary of an all-inclusive, fearing that the service and food would be sub par but can honestly say this was not the case. I tend to be a hotel snob and love the Four Seasons so have pretty high expectations. The hospitality at this hotel was the best I have ever experienced. The staff is everywhere waiting to great you and is thinking ahead about what you may need. One morning we headed to the nature walk and the concierge came running over with mosquito spray. The pool staff couldn't wait to greet us each morning to make us as comfortable as possible. The restaurants were all excellent. Our favorite was the Mexican cuisine (Freida). There were always chairs at the pool and nice towels. They had activities for the kids and the pool and beach were beautiful. The facility was well maintained. My one suggestion is to provide a mirror in the room above the wet bar so families can all get ready easily, but a very minor detail. The spa was incredible, although the pool with the massage fountains could have been a little warmer. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a perfect vacation.

Room Tip: all rooms face the ocean, if you want quiet as for something away from the pool area. We had a nei...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you Sue for selecting Grand Velas for your family vacation. I am very pleased that you consider this trip one of the best, especially after arriving with some doubts concerning the service and product of an all inclusive resort. I am also happy tha you felt that we exceeded your pretty high expectations as you put it.

You are an experienced traveler to various high end properties and to have highly satisfied you is a tremendous motivator for our employees. You can be assured Sue, that your review will be posted for all of us to see first hand, the results of our teamwork and dedication. I am also glad that you and your family were able to partake in many of the services that are offered and also for your recommendation “to anyone looking for a perfect vacation”.

We look forward to perhaps hosting you again in the future, and equaling or bettering the success of this first trip. We thank you very much.

Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

The best hospitality ever. Beautiful scenery. Beaches were a little disappointing. Last time I came to Mexico the water was crystal clear. Not so much On this trip. We were waited on hand and foot. Great weather. Rained one day. The shopping on 5th was very convienant and surprisingly decent and very safe. Wonderful trip.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Wendy B
Thank you Wendy for your contribution to TripAdvisor and in expressing how wonderful your trip was. We strive to provide you and all our valued guests the best in hospitality and service. You should not be concerned about the clarity of the ocean water.

At the time you were here the wind and rain conditions made it not very clear, but normally it is as crystal clear as you remember it. But rain or shine, I hope that your next stay will be as wonderful as this one. Thank you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#33 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!