“Incredible place to stay”

Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Ranked #3 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I made a reservation for the Zen location. It has an incredible and peaceful swimming pool.
It was not crowded by the time I've been there with my wife and daughter.
There are some restaurants that you cannot go with kids. I went to the Mexican, excellent, the Italian, very good, the Thai one, wonderful and the one in the beach that at night is not cool.
I loved the hotel, the amenities, the spa, etc.
Room is perfect.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
GVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your pleasure on your recent family vacation with us. I am very pleased that our Zen ambience was the perfect location for your family. It certainly is a peaceful and natural setting when wishing to enjoy some tranquil time together. Of course if at any time your desire is to be closer to the ocean you can relax and play on our beach and Ambassador pools with your young daughter.

I am glad that our restaurant Frida was your favorite culinary option and that just about everything that you experienced during your vacation was to your great satisfaction. I hope to have the opportunity in hosting you and your young family again in the future and to ensure that the long trip from Buenos Aires is worth it.

Thank you again for your kind comments and for selecting Grand Velas. On behalf of the 1,200 employees that serve you, I wish you all the best for 2014 and send you special greetings to beautiful Argentina. Take care.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I took my family to the Grand Velas Riveria Maya in February. It was a quick decision based off of a recommendation from a friend whom I love & trust as we have the same taste and expectation for hospitality, hotel quality and food. We hadn’t done a family vacation in quite some time and with 2 little girls (2 & 4) and 2 big girls (21 & 16) meeting everyone’s needs can be challenging.
From the moment I booked our trip (with Arron Romero in L.A. you can access him via the 866#) until the day we left when we were overwhelmed with sadness to leave such a beautiful place and our host Roberto; our expectations (all 6 of us) were ridiculously exceeded!!!
My little ones were stimulated all day with activities, or super content hanging at the incredibly safe kids pool or amazing beach. And to my surprise while the hotel was completely sold out it didn’t feel crowded at all.
My big girls and I took advantage of the gorgeous SPA and indulged in the hydrotherapy pools and sauna experience. Which I have to say was by far the most beautiful SPA I have ever been to (and I have been to a lot)! You cannot go to the Grand Velas without experiencing the SPA!
The Food was awesome, each restaurant was better than the next and my 4 picky girls loved them all!!! My husband and I got to enjoy a date night at one of the adult restaurants (the hotel offers an adult section) and it was wonderful, we felt like we had been far removed from our family vacation for an evening.
Finally, we took advantage of the “free” (until you purchase photos/DVD) DREAMART Photography photo shoot (L022214AM3). We had done this several times before in NY and have beautiful family photos. Therefore I wasn’t expecting much nor was I going to purchase a lot of photos. Boy was a wrong…our photographer Andrei was super talented and even got my husband to smile in almost every picture! And every photo was stunning. I could not choose or narrow it down to the 20 I had allowed myself…of course we purchased more! What was even more pleasing , was once I got home and got to review them again I noticed a few things in 4 photos that needed to be photo shopped…I emailed DREAMART and within 8 hours I had a new batch of pictures free of any hair out of place or hose in the grass. They were beyond accommodating… and the photos were worth every penny!
I am home 3 weeks now and have recommended The Grand Velas to at least 5 people, families & couples. I have also been begging my husband to rebook for next February as I cannot wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: Ask for an true Ocean View...not POOL/partial ocean
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ERIKA T

Erika it pleases us immensely to have provoked such a warm and thoughtful review from you and also some plentiful smiles from your husband. To travel and vacation at a resort with such a wide range of family members can present some logistical obstacles in the daily order of events. But I am very glad that your family members of all ages found enjoyment in all aspects that they experienced.

The culinary options being plentiful as they are, allowed you to snack and dine at your leisure including the special “date night” that you got to enjoy with your husband one evening. I am happy that our spa was to the great liking of you and your big girls. It is possible that we may have raised your expectations in terms of future spa experiences elsewhere, but I am pleased that you found our spa to be gorgeous and satisfying.

I do hope that your husband cedes to your wishes on returning to Grand Velas next year in order for all of you to relive the memorable times that you came to enjoy as a close family. Thank you Erika for recommending us to friends and for sharing your lovely thoughts on your family vacation with all. Take care and we send a big hug for the whole family in New York City.

See you in February I hope.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I'm not sure why it took me so long to write this review! My husband and I went for our honeymoon in Nov 2013. Where should I start... if you are thinking about going here and comparing this resort to others, I suggest you spend the extra money and go to Grand Velas! We stayed in the Grand Class and it's worth every penny. The room is gorgeous, the view is amazing and the bathroom and shower are to die for. We loved our balcony with the plunge pool and we actually used it just about every day. The service was beyond our expectations. Every little detail is in place and nothing is overlooked. Everyone remembers your name, the turndown service is a perfect touch and the service at dinner is far beyond any other restaurant we have been to. Speaking about food; I was a little worried about this part of it, but we were extremely impressed. The food is by far 5 star as well. Out favorite was the 8 course tasting menu. I felt like I was dining in NYC. We utilized room service a lot as well. Breakfast in our room was perfect. The beach is really beautiful - no rocks like others have said. We are originally from FL and we have seen some of the most beautiful beaches. The beach here ranks right up there. If you walk down to some of the other resorts (which is definitely a longer walk) you will see just how much better it is a Grand Velas. The service on the beach is also phenomenal. The servers come right over, make sure you everything you need, they leave cool towels and waters and then bring you any drinks or food you want. The SPA - pretty much the most amazing spa I have ever seen! Spend the money and get something done just to experience the water journey. You won't want to leave. Grand Velas is truly heaven on earth. As we start to plan our 1 year anniversary trip, we have found they are sold out of the Grand Class for our week in Nov. I'm guessing people are starting to realize this is the best all inclusive out there! Any suggestions for anywhere else is appreciated. I am just so afraid we will be disappointed!

Room Tip: Grand Class!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank neaner01

Thank you for having chosen us as your special honeymoon destination last November and also for remembering us for your 1st anniversary celebration. We do know that a honeymoon is considered a once in a lifetime event and I am so happy that we left you with such pleasing memories.

It is good that you were able to try almost everything during your romantic stay. We are very proud of our culinary product and to have your great approval makes us even more proud. Your experiences in our Spa were to your great amazement and our hydrothermal ritual was one of the many highlights that you enjoyed. As for your November reservation, it would really be my honor to repeat and even better the wonderful experiences that you describe. As our Grand Class suites are fully booked for the dates in question, I can assure you that our Ambassador and Zen ambiences are quite luxurious and unique in their own special ways. And please keep in mind that as adults you can relax and enjoy the Grand Class pools and amenities just as if you were residing there. When you confirm your reservation with us I would like that you contact me so that I can personally monitor your suite assignation and have you feel again a sense of “heaven on earth” as you so kindly put it. Thank you for sharing your happiness with all and I especially look forward to having you celebrate your anniversary here where it all started.

Take care and special regards to Laredo TX.

Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Not only the riviera is one of mexico's best features, the Grand Velas held up to the highest standards I've experienced in my life.

The good:

1. The hotel: Exceptional. Natural beauty perfectly maintained, buildings and accommodations of incredible design, landscaping taken to the next level.

2. The food: not once I didn't finish my meals... Not once. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and everything you eat in between meals will prove to be exquisite. It's many restaurants can easily be award winning in food and service (specially the cocina de autor).

3. Cleanliness: impeccable

The bad:

1. Everyone expects to be tipped and you can feel it: this is a very expensive hotel, when making your reservation you are told tips are included, but even though you are constantly invited to tip (we even asked our concierge and he told us that eventhough tips are included you are invited to tip since people are making their "extra effort"... Yes, we really really appreciate the excelent service, but I believe this is included in the hotels high fees) ... We were even (politely) asked to tip in cash at the pool several times (the waiter would say that they were out of checks implying you can tip with cash). I don't think this aspect is coherent with the hotels standards.

Overall I would love to go back to the grand Velas. Would Love love love love to go back!!!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank DarkChocolateandWine
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts and impressions on your winter stay with us. To have demonstrated “the highest standards that you have experienced in your life” makes us highly proud of the planning that went into our product and the execution that brings it all together.

One of the cornerstones of our resort is the culinary tour which you so finely praise. We do understand the sophistication of our clientele and our desire is to be number one in the world in guest satisfaction. I appreciate your observation concerning the “feeling” of having to tip extra. As director I am particularly against any innuendos on the part of my staff encouraging or soliciting extra gratuities and I will do all that I can in order to calm over that practice whenever it is detected.

I do believe however that your desire, or love to return to Grand Velas proves that overall we performed to your expectations and perhaps more. I truly thank you for your comments and for your patronage and I look forward to hosting you again in order to relive these first pleasantries. Best regards to Monterrey and all the best to you. Take care.

RODOLFO GONZALEZ
rgonzalezgvrm@velasresorts.com

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Prior to our vacation I scoured the reviews of GV extensively. I have to say that all of the good truly was real and not exaggerated at all so I'm going to try not to reiterate all of that here. Instead, I'm going to note the less commonly discussed things that really made our trip wonderful.

Rooms:
We stayed in the Zen "jungle" area. Initially, we thought that this was going to be a compromise on our part since it wasn't on the water and required a short shuttle ride to the main beach area. Couldn't be further from the truth. We vastly preferred this area to the Ambassador section that was on the beach. This section of the resort was quiet and LOVELY. in my humble opinion, the pools in the Zen area were far better than the main pools as they were heated and surrounded by lush jungle that made you feel as though you were swimming in a tropical river. The service at these pools was also excellent. In particular, Bautista and Fabiana literally waited on us hand and foot and would do things such as refill our water/ice bucket, shift the umbrella to give better shade throughout the day and bring refreshed drinks without being asked. Kudos to both of them for being such hard workers yet unflappable during very busy times. The Ambassador and Grand Class sections were beautiful, no doubt, but the balconies and patios were in full view of the pool and beach areas and gave little to no privacy. I love to enjoy reading quietly on the patio/balcony at night in my PJ's and this wouldn't have been possible in either of the other sections. The suite itself was perfectly appointed. The room was incredible spacious and the shower was a delight. Your suite concierge is, essentially, your butler for the trip. She/he will take care of your reservations, stock your bar with whatever you'd like for that particular day, assist with adjustments to your stay etc etc. Luis worked with us and was really, really great. For instance, on one occasion I ran into him as I was heading back to my room from the pool and he noticed my hat. He asked if we were missing one like it. I said I wasn't sure b/c my husband and I had similar versions. He stopped by our room later on with the hat to check and once my husband confirmed it was his, gave it right back. Had he not noticed, we definitely wouldn't have ever seen it again (and it was one of his favorites)! That attention to detail really sets this service apart.

Beach: The beach here really stands apart from other resorts in the area (Mayakoba being the closest) as there are rock breakers that have been placed offshore to prevent erosion, keep the waves to a reasonable level and to prevent trash from washing up on shore. My husband walked up and down the beach and the other resorts without this feature had extremely narrow and crowded beaches. GV's was probably 2/3's wider and MUCH cleaner. Victor is the beach and pool manager and he went out of his way to chat with us for quite some time and share his expertise in everything from Tequilla to excursions. We heard from another couple we met that when their snorkeling got postponed, Victor dropped everything to take them himself in kayaks to a great reef area and got in the water with them to take underwater action shots of the family and fish. Above and beyond.

Food/Drinks: This has been written about extensively. Let me just say that our expectations were both met and surpassed at all of the restaurants but, in particular at Frida (we went twice and had two of the best steaks EVER) and Cocina de Autor (the tasting menu was such that I would expect in Napa or NYC). Something that I really had much lower expectations for was the wine. I was thrilled that both the reds, whites and sparking wines on the all-inclusive lists were excellent. We were fully prepared to buy bottles that were a bit nicer, if needed, and honestly never had to do that once. The cocktails were also truly top shelf i.e. Grey Goose, Don Julio...you name it. If its premium brand-they have it. Note: Don't bother asking for Patron. According to my sources (Victor), Mexicans don't like it and don't serve it. The white Don Julio is better anyways.

Spa: This was one area where I'm going to differ with the majority of reviews a bit. I actually did not love the hydrotherapy at all. It was a one sized fits all experience and you weren't asked your preferences in advance. For instance, I have difficulty breathing in extreme heat so while I enjoy a steam or sauna here and there, I don't like to spend much time in either. During the HT experience, you were sort of forced into these rooms and told sternly to stay put for 5 mins. I couldn't do that so I ended up waiting outside the various rooms for a good 4 minutes before someone came along to escort me to the next area. I went to the spa twice and skipped the HT the second time. I would never pay the $60 for it that it costs as a stand alone service without another treatment. Let me just point out, though, that my husband 100% disagrees with me and thought it was fantastic. To each his own. Both treatments that we received were very nice but grossly overpriced. We were given a 50$ per day, per person discount on the treatments but that brought our 50 minute treatments to 150$ and 80 minute treatments to 250$. Absurd. We went with it in the moment but not sure I would spend that much again.

Overall: Ok, after all of that positive feedback, you may be wondering why I am only giving GV 4 stars. It absolutely would have received 5 if not for this one thing......Corporate incentive groups. GV has a conference center and this was not something that I noticed during my research of the property. Now that I know this, I guess it makes sense that there were several groups there but it made it no less annoying to the paying guests. The first two groups that were there during our stay were on the smaller side and had isolated events that were relatively easy to avoid. The last group was an ENTIRE company of 400+ ppl who just absolutely overtook the resort with obnoxious signage (um, they know where they work, get the signs off the freaking beach), music (techno on the beach....seriously??) and behavior (absolute mayhem and drunken behavior at the pools and on the beach from dawn to dusk and beyond). My husband and I specifically chose GV b/c it wasn't supposed to be any of that. It is a classy, mellow, sophisticated version of the all-inclusive (think an all-inclusive St. Regis) but this really ruined it and marred my impression. Obviously these groups are highly profitable for the resort but if they can't be monitored and maybe limited to certain areas so as not to disrupt the peace and quiet of guests, I would likely go to smaller resort in the area on my next trip like Maroma, Viceroy or Rosewood.

All in all a great trip and wonderful resort but beware of they potentially invasive corporate groups. Maybe call and ask what's booked for that week and what the numbers and events will be so that you can make an educated decision.

Room Tip: Zen was a wonderful and quiet choice!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Megan L

Thank you very much Megan for your detailed descriptions of your experiences and for your personal perceptions.

I am very pleased that your title mentions the word “perfection”. The “significant exception” I really wish to address and I thank you for bringing it to light in this forum. First I deeply apologize for the disruption that it had caused and for not reaching absolute perfection for you. The few groups that we do host are normally on a smaller scale and are generally better behaved considering the extremely high rates that they pay.

I am disappointed that we were not “on top” of that particular group but it is something that is within my reach to correct and to ensure for future groups. As you mention Megan, groups and conventions are an important source of revenue for all resorts when they are signed and paid in full, sometimes months in advance. However, I do not lose sight of the individual vacationer that has believed in us and has supported us all these years, making us the success that we are today. And for that I apologize for not taking better control at your time of residence. You are right in saying that we do have a convention center to help facilitate as an event /meeting venue whenever possible and I will do all that is possible to minimize any future disturbances caused by groups and maintain a healthy harmony within the resort for all travelers. I also sincerely thank you for letting me know your displeasure on this front and please be assured that alternative planning is being considered.

I do hope Megan that you return to Grand Velas sometime in order to give us the opportunity to reach the attainable goal of perfection that we almost achieved with you. Thank you again and special regards to North Andover, MA.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

My husband and I traveled to Grand Velas in September and I regret not writing this review sooner when my mind was more fresh from our trip- but the first thing that comes to mind is - AMAZING. We cannot stop talking to our friends about how awesome this place is. Is it expensive, yes- but it's worth every single penny. Simply have not stayed at a better all inclusive in Mexico than Grand Velas- and we have stayed in many such as The Royal Hideaway, Excellence, etc.- none compare to Grand Velas. We also previously stayed at Grand Velas in Riviera Nayrait- but this one is much better by being much newer and having a lot more options for dining and activities. We stayed in an Ambassador Class room, which was great since it was right in the middle of the hotel, very close to everything. The rooms are beautiful with a great view. We were a little leery about not staying in the Grand Class section as we wanted an adults only vacation- but you can use the adults only pool at the Grand Class- so it's not really necessary to stay in those rooms. I definitely would recommend the Ambassador section over the Zen section as it is closest most of the restaurants and the adults only pool. The service was beyond any all inclusive we have stayed in - comparable to a Four Seasons or Ritz. Whatever you want, they will get for you. The food was also amazing- the restaurants are comparable with restaurants in big cities like Chicago and New York. Not only does the food taste amazing- but the décor in the restaurants is beautiful as well. We really enjoyed every meal we had- particularly the Asian restaurant and the French. In regards to drinks/alcohol- all top shelf all the way. Day's were spent by the beach and pool, and evenings at long lengthy delicious dinners and drinks. The only downside I would say is that if you are looking for nightlife- this probably isn't your place- we shut down the karaoke bar every night- and sometimes we were the only people in it all night. The spa was great- very good massage and the water circuit can't be beat. The gym was very good- good equipment and usually very open. Don't think about it- just go! You won't regret it! We are counting down the days until we can go back!

Room Tip: Do the Ambassador Class or Grand Class over the Zen. You will have to take a shuttle from the Zen t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Angela S

Thank you Angela for keeping the memories fresh from you successful stay with us last September. It pleases me tremendously to have left such a positive impression on you and your husband. With your vacation experience throughout Mexico we are proud to be considered the best all around vacation option.

Saying that, I can see why we are unforgettable and for all the right reasons. Comparing our culinary tour to some of the best dining options in Chicago and New York will definitely leave a grateful smile on my executive chef when he receives a copy of your kind compliments. There are many aspects that come to mind when reading your splendid review but the service that you encountered is one of the more impacting statements.

To be considered on the level in which you describe is one of the more prized compliments that can be bestowed. As an all inclusive resort it is really a pleasure for us to make sure that you feel very pampered and that there is no want for anything. I am glad however that you mentioned the lack of night life that you found on your September visit. Because based on the comments of our valued guests we have constructed and now have in operation “Koi”. It is the nightclub that you were lacking on your previous trip. It is one with DJ, dance floor, television monitors and is open until 3am each morning.

I believe with that taken care of you will not be lacking much more except for perhaps more vacation time to be with us. Angela, thank you again for your motivating review and of course we look forward to creating many more unforgettable visits for you. Take care and all the best to you and yours in St. Louis.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

This was a great all-inclusive resort, and loved the "in the pool bar", only issue is people stand around so you cannot actually swim. If you have teenagers, check out the Teen Room, just incredible! Only downer is the mini-bar just had beer and soft drinks, no spirits :(

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

It always impresses me when guests travel from so far in order to vacation with us at Grand Velas.

The trust that your investment and time that you put on us as an organization is very appreciated and we certainly wish to leave our valued guests with a great feeling of satisfaction when having completed their holiday. I am very happy that you found your time with us to be very relaxing and that you feel that you “just have to come back”. Very motivating words especially from a TripAdvisor “Top Contributor” such as yourself.

As for our mini bar we do find it very difficult to stock all the various spirit options in your suite. With 22 different products including tequila and restocked on a daily basis there would be no room for much else. But please be assured that our Suite Service department has great ability in preparing and sending drinks when the moment calls for it.

I do wish to personally thank you for your vacation preference and it would be my honor to be your host again for when you decide to return to Grand Velas. Take care and special regards to Sydney.