“Beautiful holiday - excellent service”

Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Ranked #2 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful holiday - excellent service”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

My husband, daughter (aged 12) and I have just returned after a fantastic 10 days at Grand Velas. We cannot recommend this hotel enough and have already decided to return in the near future.
From the moment you arrive at the entrance, you know you are somewhere special.
We chose to stay in the Ambassador section and are very pleased we did as (for us) the Zen section on the jungle side is too far from the beach - although there is a very good shuttle service between hotel sections.
We were greeted quickly and taken to our sea view room on the second floor. The rooms are bigger than average and there was plenty of space for 3 of us. The bathrooms are huge and the balconies are also a good size overlooking the sea (and part pool in our case). It is absolutely breathtaking looking out to sea and well worth the extra money.
Each room has their own concierge and this was an absolute godsend to us. Dinorah was fantastic - so friendly and professional. Nothing was ever too much trouble to arrange for us - whether restaurant bookings, airport transfers, advice on local things to do and dealing with minor issues. All were solved or arranged swiftly and she would even come and find us on the beach with any updates. We can't thank her enough for making our stay so relaxed and organised! She is a real asset to the hotel and one of the key reasons we would go back.
There are 7 restaurants at the hotel and all cook to a very high standard. It should be noted however that some restaurants do not allow children under 12, so this could be an issue for some families who are not aware of this as mealtimes could be restricted. We were fortunate that we could go and thoroughly enjoyed The Bistro (only one with outside tables), Le Piaf, Lucca and Azul. It is certainly fine dining and there is a good selection of wines available on the All inclusive package.
There were always sunbeds available either at the beach or pool, even when the hotel was at capacity. The pool and beach staff were all helpful and friendly - particularly Santiago and Pedro who attended to our every need the last few days on the beach. It is worth giving tips to experience the best of the best service, although even without tips it is very good anyway.

If you are from the UK, don't bother taking a hair dryer as the voltage will make your own one very pathetic. The hotel one is pretty good!

If I had any gripes about the hotel, they were minor and ones the hotel could rectify quickly. The rooms could do with a washing line to dry clothes and I would recommend supplying the small bottles of wine in the mini bar. The current policy allows one small bottle per stay (!) - although you can get glasses of wine on room service for free anyway. There were several evenings my husband and I would have liked to have a glass of wine on the balcony whilst our daughter slept, but we had to ring room service which then disturbs sleeping child. It would be so much easier to just have it in the room as it is free anyway.

Overall, we had a fantastic time and would recommend the hotel to any family for a peaceful and luxurious holiday.

Room Tip: If your priority is location and you like sea views, go for Ambassador or Grand Class.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for your kind observations and recommendations.
I am pleased that the ambassador ambience was the perfect fit for your family. If your dream is to see the ocean from the tranquil comfort of your suite then that is where you should be. I am also glad that the size of the suites was to your great satisfaction. The ambience that we try to promote throughout the entire resort is one of openness. A special recognition will be sent to Dinorah for her splendid work in organizing your holiday and assisting you with any needs and questions during your stay.
Thank you for pointing out the age requirements for some of our gourmet dining venues such as Cocina de Autor, Piaf and Bistro that require diners to be 12 years and older. We do this to provide a more intimate ambience for our adult guests. It is always recommended to consult our web page for more specific dining selections and information. I like that our guests are able to relax with a bottle of wine while relaxing in the luxury of their suites and of course we provide a bottle of red and white along with a bottle of special tequila as part of their mini bar selection.
Thank you for traveling all the way from London to enjoy the beaches of Mexico with us and I am proud that because of this visit that you have already decided on returning in the future. Take care and special regards to you and your family in beautiful London.

rgonzalezgvrm@velasresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (817)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Our family of 5 (daughters: 17,15,12) just returned from a 6 night/5 day vacation at the Grand Velas. We typically stay at luxury resorts so are expectations tend to be high. I was a little concerned at fist because I read the resort was large but since trip advisor gave it such high marks I decided to book it, and oh what a good decision that turned out to be.

The resort is very large, however, it really didn't feel that way. We stayed in 2 suites in the Zen section which was surrounded by lush vegetation and charming thatched covered walkways. The suites were adjoining and were both spacious and inviting. Our butler, Alejandrino did everything he could to make sure we were comfortable and well cared for. In fact, the service everywhere at this resort was fantastic. I have never been anywhere where each and every employee treated us so well. I was told there were roughly 1000 employees who work there and everyone we encountered greeted us warmly with eye contact and a smile. They truly know about customer service and it doesn't go unnoticed.

The food was some of the best resort food we have had on vacation. Every restaurant had a different theme and was beautifully designed. I also need to mention how well the resort grounds are kept. Every area is pristine including the white sand beaches. The only negative is that the water is a bit rocky but if you wear water shoes you will be fine. At the beach the attendants bring whatever you need including a bucket of ice with cold bottled water.

The entertainment by the pool and at the beach was great too. We all enjoyed watching the cirque type performers as well as the Mayan dancers. I also was impressed with all the activities they had poolside for the kids. The activities were for everyone, not just the kids club. They had a giant hamster ball in the water, basketball, bungee bounce, soccer and blow up slides. If my kids were a little younger they would have loved playing with everything. Alas, I have teenagers now who were happy basking in the sun poolside and at the beach.

Our trip overlapped two weeks. The first week we arrived on Thursday, before the big Easter break crowds arrived. Up until Monday the resort was quiet and it really didn't matter which section you stayed in. Once the Easter crowd arrived it was hard to get chairs at the ambassador pool and/or umbrellas on the beach. That's when I would have preferred moving to the grand class area. In fact, if we were to return, which I hope we will, I would probably opt to stay in the grand class section for its ocean front rooms and quiet beachside pool. The ambassador section seemed to be the most crowded with lots of young kids. We enjoyed staying at Zen away from the ambassador crowds the second week. My kids really loved the pool there and kept asking to go there.

Lastly the spa! It was the best I have ever been to and I have been to a lot of very nice spas. It's voted one of the best in the world and number 1 in Latin America. There is no doubt they deserve that honor and the spa is not to be missed.

Grand Velas is a fabulous all inclusive resort. Anyone who is lucky enough to stay there will be happy they did.

5 Thank SpecialePlaces
DirectorGVRM, General Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
“Far beyond expectations” is truly the expression that we strive for when our valued guests approach the end of their vacation at Grand Velas, as we like to feel that all of our guests receive an impressive return on their investment. And we focus on the many details that culminate to achieve expressions such as yours and the 1,300 dedicated employees of the resort are aware of that mission that we strive for. I am sure that your children thanked you many times for your decision to reserve with us and I thank you for taking the time to carefully investigate the destination and vacation reviews here on this forum. Now your experience will be useful in helping other potential travelers find a resort that is tailored their needs. I am very pleased that our spa left long lasting memories for you. And you are correct in saying that we are the now the number one spa in Latin America. We were just voted the “Best Luxury Resort Spa” in March by The World Luxury Spa Association. And your seal of approval that you just described is the icing on the cake for that award. I thank you very much for selecting us as your family vacation resort and please be assured that your review will be circulated throughout our entire staff as a motivator and proof that indeed their actions count. From all of us we wish you a fantastic summer in Annapolis, Maryland and we will be warmly waiting for you on your next visit. Take care.

Frankfurt
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I have been to Mexico 5 times and this all inclusive resort had the best service, food, and included wine selection. It also never seemed overcrowded even though I think the resort was almost 100% booked. I could always get a beach or pool chair. Service at the bars, pool, and restaurants was excellent.
We stayed in the Zen area and the shuttles were always there to take you where ever you wanted.
Even though there were kids at the resort we didn't notice it. It wasn't like there were the normal kids group activities going on that I have witnessed at other resorts.
There does seem to be a lot of corporate groups that book the location for company retreats.

Room Tip: Zen is fine but if you want a beach view stay in the other area.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jahman8991
As a team we are all very pleased that you felt that you received the best service, food and wines in all of your Mexican vacation experiences. We do like to consider that our service and product is extraordinary and eye opening. The feeling of not being overly crowded even at 100% capacity is due mainly to the size and distribution of the property. It is spread out generously with more than enough loungers and seating for every guest and the feedback has been very positive in terms of comfort. Even when we do host groups we have an abundance of space for everybody and we also take necessary measures in order that their feeling of presence is minimal. I feel that the “awesome” holiday that you spent with us made the trip all the way from Frankfurt well worth it. And I hope we left such a memorable impression on the both of you that you would gladly make that flight again. Thank you for sharing your happiness with everybody on TripAdvisor and we send you kind greetings to Germany. Danke.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We have just returned from the most amazing 2 weeks we could ask for! We have 2 young children, 4 Years and a 14 week old baby.
We stayed in the Zen side of the hotel; it was wonderful, so quiet, peaceful and perfect. If you are looking for more lively atmosphere then stay in the ambassador side of the hotel.
This was our babies first holiday; Grand Velas couldn't have done enough for us and our children! Chloe loved the kids club, we couldn't get her out of there, the staff were so good with her and she did so many different activities. Our butler Hazus greeted us with, Baby Bouncer, Dummies, Bottles, Toy's and if you need a pushchair or steriliser they can also provide this for you. They treated Charlie like a little prince. Hazus was brilliant, anything we asked for he done within minutes.
Our days spent round by the Zen Pool were just wonderful, Bautista was the best pool worker you could have asked for, he brought us our drinks and snacks before we even had to ask, he ran around all day making sure everyone was happy, Carlos, Oscar and Gerardo also were brilliant!
I could go on and on all day, Grand Velas is one of the best holidays we have ever had, the small touches made this hotel one of the best we have ever stayed in. All the Grand Velas staff were lovely and friendly.
Can’t wait to go back!!
Thank you Grand Velas was a truly wonderful and amazing holiday 
Kate Quaintance-Blackford

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
And thank you Kate for honoring us in deciding to spend your family holiday time with us. It is truly special when a family with little ones can vacation for two weeks and feel that everything was “truly wonderful”. I am glad that Chloe loved the kid´s club so much. I am sure that she made some really good pals with her favorite staff just as you did with Jesus your butler. He really does have great feeling when anticipating a guest´s needs and I am glad that he helped in making this holiday a success for you. I will see to it that the wait team in the Zen pools receive notice of your congratulatory comments and I am sure that they will remember you right away. I wish to thank you Kate for taking the time in expressing your happiness with everybody and also a special thanks for traveling from so far with two little ones in order to be with us. We sincerely appreciate your patronage. I send you and your lovely family kind greetings to London and we hope to see the kids as they continue to grow. Take care.

Springdale, Arkansas
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We have stayed at several different all - inclusive with a business group every year. Grand Velas is the prettiest place with outstanding staff, pools and beach. All of the reviews don't do justice to the beauty and peacefulness of the place, especially the Zen section , although I wish they had a walking path to the beach and remaining 2 sections of the resort. It's about a mile away and they run a shuttle service -not very environmentally friendly and the road they travel is too narrow to walk safely.

I do want to warn people about the food. This resort tries to be upscale fancy at the restaurants. While they do have buffets for breakfast and lunch, dinner is reservations only , sit down 3 hour !!! events and they make you wait longer to then sign a bill. ( WHY?) Food is gourmet - pretty to look out with unique different combos, mostly overwhelming the flavor. Think the Food Network show " Chopped" gone bad. When we are on a tropical vacation, the last thing I want to do is watch a clock for my 'reservation' and then sit inside for 3 + hour dinner. They serve small, minced portions at al meals, , which again looks pretty, but when raw food ( fruit, fish, vegetables) is handled as much as what goes into thin, little slices, it leaves more chance to food poisoning. The beach dinner party food was not able to be kept warm for when it was served, once again giving more opportunity for bacteria to grow. I wish Grand Velas would offer simple buffets and casual dining for all meals, and have the famous chef restaurant as one alternative. At least, I can say I was 3 days at an all inclusive and didn't gain a pound. :)

Room Tip: First floor in the Zen section are wonderfully quiet. Your patio has a small canal with tropical fis...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Arkansascouple31931
DirectorGVRM, Propietario at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for your comments and observations on your recent business event at Grand Velas. I am very pleased that you found the facilities and staff to be pretty and outstanding respectively. The reason that we do not have a walking path from the Zen ambience to the beach is because of being “environmentally friendly”. The mangrove that inhabits much of the area is a protected habitat that cannot be cleared or used for personal use and must stay just the way it is according to Mexican law and just because it is the right thing to do, to protect nature. Our chauffeurs are very keen on how to drive along the available stretches in order not to inconvenience any person walking. I would love to have a walking trail, but for the reasons mentioned it will remain the same. I understand that food preference and taste is very personal and subjective and I do respect your opinion. We do try to maintain everybody´s taste buds and dining experiences at a superior level. However, you are right, there were some days that the service was not up to standards and I apologize to you and any of our guests for not meeting your expectations in our culinary tour.
We are actively working with all chefs to ensure a more agile service without losing the quality of dish. By the end of this month there will be a very important change in this regard. I will take this opportunity though to introduce Angel Sarmiento who is my new food and beverage manager. He brings with him a fine line of experience from within the organization and knows very well our guest-friendly philosophy at Grand Velas. I must make it clear though that his inception to our family was not based on your review but there it is.
I thank you again for your comments and I wish you well in your business endeavors.
Take care and fine regards to Springdale, Arkansas.

ING. JUAN VELA RUIZ
VICEPRESIDENT
VELAS RESORTS
jvelavr@velasresorts.com
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We just returned from an awesome week's trip to Grand Velas All inclusive, Riviera Maya with our 2 boys, 3 and 1.

Pros:
1.Excellent Hospitality and service - Fernandez was great - My kid still says I miss Fernandez
2.Awesome pools - All of them are connected - You can swim in the deep one while watching your kid in the not-so-deep one.
3.Kids Clubs for the kids to hang out - So many options with the movies, games and other kids to play with.
4.Room cleaning service - With my two messy boys I think they cleaned atleast 3 times a day.
5.You don't ever have to look for food. I used to order to the room so my elder one can get breakfast and also go to the restaurant and eat again.
6.Great pictures from dream art photography
7.Excellent spa - one of the best I have been to. Hydrotherapy followed a massage.. aaaahh
8.We stayed in the Zen and never had to wait for more than 2 min to get to the ambassador/beach.
9. Feeding the fishes was not only my kids fav time pass but mine as well. There is some good feeling about it.

Cons:
1. It would have been better if there was a small tot lot/water park kind of for the kids. This place is ideal for families with kids 4 and above.
2. Even though my elder is close to 4 and very good with following direction they denied to watch him.
3. Please take cash - Though we chose the all inclusive(which says tips included) some people expect tips. They charge you 6% if you need cash and charge to your room.
4. Food at the restaurants could have been a little better. Frida was our favourite. I loved the ambience, presentation and the crowd.. just like a 5 star hotel. But the food compared to the food we had in playa del carmen city is okay.

All in all I give this place a 5/5 and would definetely consider going back.. but after the kids are a little grwon up.

Room Tip: We had an option to choose from either first floor or ground but we chose ground since it was easy w...
1 Thank Kranthi K
Thank you for taking the time in detailing your experiences and thoughts on your recent vacation with us in April. I am glad that you felt that the resort was luxurious and that your selection to stay in the Zen ambience was the correct one for you. There certainly is a tranquil pleasure throughout that area and I am happy that your family really enjoyed feeling the subtleties of nature. The ease in transiting between ambiences is a priority for us and as you said the wait time for a shuttle is really a non-factor. As for our kids club, we do prefer to host and entertain little ones starting at four years of age because of the amount of personalized attention that each one requires. However I will look into ways to see if it is possible to receive and entertain the younger kids while maintaining a high level of service for all. I am concerned that you felt that our cuisine could have been a little bit better. We take great strides to ensure that everybody’s taste buds are aroused in a most pleasing way. I will of course revise our menus, processes and ingredients with my executive chef in order to detect an area for improvement. We do put a lot of emphasis in our culinary tour and our goal is to be recognized as the best all inclusive option that one will find. Thank you for your valuable observations and I would be honored to be able to host you and your family again when the opportunity arises. Take care and all the best for 2014.

rgonzalezgvrn@velasresorts.com
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

First time at an all-inclusive. Well traveled, foodies. We spent 10 days here and cannot say enough about the employees and their level of service. Wow, we felt so pampered. From the pool attendants putting down towels for you and putting up umbrellas to shade you, to the ones bringing drinks & food, to the ones trying to engage you in a game of volleyball...these employees have a great attitude and love their job (or at least act like they do). So friendly & always happy, they really were the icing on the cake. They make this resort what it is. Other highlights-the pools were GORGEOUS, especially the Ambassador. The Zen was so peaceful as well. Beautiful wide, white sand beach, plenty of chairs, not ever over crowded. Water a little rocky but we found some clear areas as well. Restaurants were good...I would not say out of this world though. Breakfasts were great, a lot of variety and I have never seen so many kinds of fresh juices at one time. Perfect. Shuttle service to & from Zen was very convenient and quick. Rooms were very spacious with very nice bathrooms...huge walk-in shower and jacuzzi tub. Loved the layout, private deck, very comfortable beds, excellent! The teen club was AWESOME! Our 13 year old girls LOVED it as much as we did! ;) So fun and the BEST employee was our man Rafael! He makes that teen club what it is. What a caring, genuine person. A couple more shout outs to Jesus our concierge, Israel the shuttle driver, Angel (Azul) & Irving (pool bar)! Thank you all for making our experience a memorable one. One word of warning-if you are going to do a photo session with DreamArt & want to actually buy the photos, be prepared...extremely pricey. We loved the photos but did not end up getting them because we had already spent so much on the trip, we could not justify adding another $1500 on. Eeek! Very disappointing.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank LAMCHOP7
Thank you very much for choosing us for your ten day relaxing vacation. I am very pleased that the level of service really caught your attention and that you felt so pampered. Each and every employee really appreciates that you and our other valued guests decide to holiday at Grand Velas and their eagerness to please and to be one step in front is demonstrated with your fine comments. I hope that you will give us the opportunity again to make you feel pampered in the future. Thank you again and take care.