My husband, daughter (aged 12) and I have just returned after a fantastic 10 days at Grand Velas. We cannot recommend this hotel enough and have already decided to return in the near future.
From the moment you arrive at the entrance, you know you are somewhere special.
We chose to stay in the Ambassador section and are very pleased we did as (for us) the Zen section on the jungle side is too far from the beach - although there is a very good shuttle service between hotel sections.
We were greeted quickly and taken to our sea view room on the second floor. The rooms are bigger than average and there was plenty of space for 3 of us. The bathrooms are huge and the balconies are also a good size overlooking the sea (and part pool in our case). It is absolutely breathtaking looking out to sea and well worth the extra money.
Each room has their own concierge and this was an absolute godsend to us. Dinorah was fantastic - so friendly and professional. Nothing was ever too much trouble to arrange for us - whether restaurant bookings, airport transfers, advice on local things to do and dealing with minor issues. All were solved or arranged swiftly and she would even come and find us on the beach with any updates. We can't thank her enough for making our stay so relaxed and organised! She is a real asset to the hotel and one of the key reasons we would go back.
There are 7 restaurants at the hotel and all cook to a very high standard. It should be noted however that some restaurants do not allow children under 12, so this could be an issue for some families who are not aware of this as mealtimes could be restricted. We were fortunate that we could go and thoroughly enjoyed The Bistro (only one with outside tables), Le Piaf, Lucca and Azul. It is certainly fine dining and there is a good selection of wines available on the All inclusive package.
There were always sunbeds available either at the beach or pool, even when the hotel was at capacity. The pool and beach staff were all helpful and friendly - particularly Santiago and Pedro who attended to our every need the last few days on the beach. It is worth giving tips to experience the best of the best service, although even without tips it is very good anyway.
If you are from the UK, don't bother taking a hair dryer as the voltage will make your own one very pathetic. The hotel one is pretty good!
If I had any gripes about the hotel, they were minor and ones the hotel could rectify quickly. The rooms could do with a washing line to dry clothes and I would recommend supplying the small bottles of wine in the mini bar. The current policy allows one small bottle per stay (!) - although you can get glasses of wine on room service for free anyway. There were several evenings my husband and I would have liked to have a glass of wine on the balcony whilst our daughter slept, but we had to ring room service which then disturbs sleeping child. It would be so much easier to just have it in the room as it is free anyway.
Overall, we had a fantastic time and would recommend the hotel to any family for a peaceful and luxurious holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Velas Riviera Maya is one of the newest resorts to distinguish Riviera Maya as a premier vacation destination. The uniquely Mexican world-class hospitality we provide is "Beyond All Inclusive, Beyond All Compare", and we are proud to be the only family-friendly All Inclusive resort in the Mexican Caribbean to have been rated Five Diamonds by the AAA. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Prestigia, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com and Agoda so you can book your Grand Velas Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Velas All Suites & Spa Resort, Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Velas All Suites And Spa Resort, Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas Hotel Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas Riviera Maya Mexico - Playa Del Carmen