“Exceeded Expectations” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago, Illinois
“Exceeded Expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Grand Velas, keep doing what you are doing, because you are doing it well.

The service was outstanding. I was hesitant to stay in the Zen suites since it is family oriented and I pictured lots of kids running around. But it was not like that and you did have a sense of privacy.

My butler in the Zen Suites was exceptional, thoughtful, friendly and kept things clean. Now I don't want to go gushing about this place, then have others disappointed by amped up expectations.

But I will say, if you want a luxury experience, it is there if you choose to use it. Here's the key to getting the 5 star experience: ask and you shall receive. The staff was very friendly throughout the resort and always available to help.

Sometimes, they seem to come out of nowhere when I needed them. Look, they aren't going to run up to you and kiss your feet, but hey will try to fulfill your reasonable requests when asked. And they have a subtle way to ask if you want help when they see you wandering around looking lost as I did often. I received typed notes from my butler reminding me about reservations and a nightly report about the weather for the next day. Turn down service was done really well, again top notch on every level.

The room was immaculate, spacious, everything spotless. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom spacious. The whirlpool tub was fantastic. I don't typically use the tubs at hotels, but this one was super clean and came with really nice bubble bath products. The amenities were L'Occitane products and they thought of everything that you could need in the bathroom. The mini bar was well stocked, wine, beer, water, soft drinks and snacks, and room service was as good as the restaurants and it was nice to have that option. There was a beach basket in every room for use which came in handy.

I tried two restaurants while there, Azul and Bistro. I liked them both. Azul for breakfast wit fresh made to order stations and a generous hot and cold breakfast buffet. Bistro for lunch and dinner, the menu was quite similar for both meals and it seemed that the portions were a little smaller for dinner.

The food on the beach was just ok and it took a while for things to get to the beach side chairs, but I've found that to be an issue at every resort hotel I've stayed at. Overall, the beach service was good for chairs, water, towels and taking orders. I have a lots of respect for those who have to spend all day in the sun running back forth in the sand with drinks, towels, etc.

The resort is huge and I liked the high ceilings everywhere. I never waited more than 5 minutes for the shuttle between the Zen suite and the Ambassador. Koi was also a fun option for late night drinks and dancing.

The pool areas were really nice and those in my group that used them spoke highly of them. I preferred the cabanas on the beach.

Some things that were just OK: the beach is pretty and there is an adult only side, but it is rocky in parts of the water, but it was nice to be able to take a long stroll along the beach. We also couldn't figure out how to take advantage of the paddle boards and free scuba diving lessons, but again I could have asked. I called to have my room service tray removed one night and no one showed up. The omelets in the room service and the Azul can be a bit undercooked, but that's minor and easily fixed.

Overall, it was a great experience and I'm trying to find a time to return soon. It just may be one of the few places I do repeat visits to if they keep up this level of quality and service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank K H
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for your kind and detailed comments on your recent friends’ getaway. We as a team are very pleased to have exceeded your lofty expectations, especially for such an experienced and savvy traveler such as yourself. I appreciate your seal of approval on the service and product that we provide and in the way that we administer them on a personal basis. Everything from the smallest detail such as the weather report and turn down service right up to the comfort of your suite and your gastronomic experience, we were able to demonstrate that as a team we really can synchronize together and provide our valued guests a superior return on their investment. Your review will be translated and distributed amongst our staff as a form of motivation for a job well done. And let me assure that once we solve the mystery of our room service trays we will be that much closer to the perfection that we are seeking. I thank you once again for your fine comments and we look forward to hosting you and your friends again in Grand Velas.
Take care and special regards to Chicago, Illinois.

rgonzalezgvrm@velasresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (736)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Ambler, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Our family of 4 returned last night from this fantastic retreat. We just cannot stop thinking about it, the friendly staff, sugar sand beach, lush vegetation, fine dining...We've already starting looking at possible future dates to return.
Our second floor Zen suite in the Ceido section was perfect, 2 queen beds and a roll away bed easily accommodated my wife, 19 yr old son, 13 yr old daughter, and me. We were not on top of each other in our suite, the bathroom is very modern, the air conditioning powerful, comfortable beds and pillows, and dark, quiet sleeping conditions. The shuttle to the beach area/better restaurants was usually waiting for us, we never waited longer than a few minutes, and the air conditioned ride is only a few minutes. Head directly to the Grand Class section, walk to the beach, turn right, and grab a couple of cabanas attended by Donato. Donato is very attentive, pleasant, and helpful. Look out at the turquoise water, gentle waves breaking onto the sugar white sands while sipping the beverage of your choice. Hungry? Have a snack or light meal delivered to your beach location. Hot? Take a dip in the Caribbean(caution-bring water shoes as it can be rocky on the bottom in places) or walk a minute to the adult only pool with the swim up bar. For a more formal meal, breakfast and lunch at Bistro is excellent (try the catch of the day--I had some incredibly fresh Grouper). We generally didn't leave this beach area until around 5. We'd then return to Zen's pool area for another hour and a golden margarita.
At night, we thoroughly enjoyed our meals at Piaf(especially the onion soup, duck, and filet mignon), Frida(rib eye was outrageous), and Cocina de Autor. Portions are generally not large but we are fans of quality over quantity.
Following dinner, we usually returned to Zen and the Koi lounge. Fortunately, the NHL or NBA playoffs were on practically every night and Koi has the largest projection tv screen I've ever seen. Please ask for Diana to be your server at Koi--when she tells you it is her pleasure to serve you, she truly means it.
Another option for breakfast or lunch is Chaka in Zen. Their authentic Mexican dishes are delicious and service impeccable. Antonio is a rock star.
My wife and daughter each enjoyed a spa treatment and raved. It was the first for my 13 yr old daughter and she came back from the hydrotherapy asking if we could buy a "bubble bed" for our house.
One last applause for beautiful Jimena, a private concierge. She spent a lot of time making sure our private shuttle arrangements to return to the airport were confirmed correctly and our boarding passes were printed and delivered to me.
This is my 10th time in Mexico, 5th in the Cancun/Riviera Maya area, and by far, this was the best vacation and all around nicest resort I have experienced here. Well worth its price!

Room Tip: Why spend an extra $500/night on Grand Class when Zen is available? Save the money and still enjoy e...
2 Thank RECohenesq
It pleases me immensely that you cannot stop thinking about your family vacation time that you very recently spent with us. To have left such a positive impact really delights us and makes us all the more proud of a job well done. I am glad that your accommodations in our Zen ambience were to your great satisfaction. The space, amenities and the quality of your suite left you wanting for nothing. That is the benefit of our spacious suites. Larger families can spend quality family time together instead of being in separate rooms. I also like that your family was able to enjoy many of our recreational areas, restaurant venues and bars. You certainly made the most of your days and evenings with the maximum of variety and scenery.

Thank you for your special applauses for the various employees that helped to make this a memorable visit. Donato, Diana, Antonio and Jimena will be commended for their valuable and personal attention to you and your family. Your kind words to them along with the knowledge that you felt that “this was the best vacation and all around nicest resort that I have experienced here” makes all of us as a team extremely proud and we would be delighted to have your family back in the near future.
Thank you again and from our family to yours; have an excellent summer in Ambler, Pennsylvania. Take care

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We haven't been to an all-inclusive for 12 years, the last being Vatulele Island in Fiji.

I was skeptical I would be happy here because an all inclusive is tough to do right, especially given the size of this place. Happily all of my fears of experiencing something like a big cruise ship did not bear fruit.

Let me break it down:

The good

1. Grounds are well kept and views are stunning.
2. Rooms are ultra-clean every day. Kudos to the maids.
3. Personal concierge is the real deal, not just a name. They work their tail off for you even though you just want something mundane.
4. Kids/teen clubs are loaded with real activities and Rafael in teen club is amazing. A true friend to kids, not just a sitter.
5. Wait staff at Azul their base restaurant were polite and helpful. My 8 year old often went to breakfast by himself and the staff repeatedly carried his plate through the buffet and cut his waffles for him at the table.
6. Base restaurant Azul had a a great mix of food and quality was excellent.
7. Beach was immaculate and groomed every morning and beach service was polite and quick.
8. I live in a warm climate and have a large resort style pool at home so I dislike being by pools at hotels. Not here. Very unique, HUGE, beautiful pool with waiters always ready to serve.
9. Upscale restaurants were unique and clean. I think they overemphasize presentation and their base restaurant AZUL is so good, why get dressed up?
10. Great for kids of all ages without feeling like you are on a Disney cruise. The resort really finds a balance between sophistication and kid-friendliness.

The not so good (keep in mind I am making return reservations for almost 2 weeks in 2015)

1. Ocean is a bit rocky, but that's just the nature of the Yucatan shoreline and I like to bodyboard.
2. Swim up bar is huge and has great menu, but is uncharacteristically stark and cheap as opposed to the detail in all other areas of the hotel. The sound system at the bar is cheap and sounds poor. Exposed wires just run across the wall. They need a tile design backsplash or something to make it look a bit more sophisticated. When I sat at the pool bar I felt like I had been transported to Tijuana.
3. They really need to implement a pay-for cooking class. They have a unique opportunity with all those Mexican chefs on staff and huge kitchens to teach others the art of classic Mexican cooking. I would pay alot to learn how to prepare a few of the items off their Azul/Frida.

Nice, clean, sophisticated resort. Well done all-inclusive. You wont find one in the area any better. Never expected the consistent level of great service that helps one sink into vacation. See you for at least 10 days in 2015.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pboltonmd
San Antonio, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Just got back from a 4 day/3 night getaway to the Grand Velas Riviera Maya for our anniversary. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we had superb service, outstanding food and perfect weather (really can't give the resort credit for that, though :) ). We were met by our personal concierage, Yocelyn, who attended to every detail to make our visit memorable, including arranging for flowers and a rose-petal jacuzzi bath for us after our anniversary dinner.
We ate at Piaf, Autor and Bistro for our dinners, and the food and service were on par with the very best. In each of the restaurants, the wait staff acknowledged our anniversary and made special items to help celebrate the event. We especially loved Autor, both for the food and the service. We did room service, buffet at Azul and a la carte at Bistro for breakfasts and lunch, and all were very good. The only issue we had was on the first day at the beach on Saturday, where the beach concierge was obviously overwhelmed by the number of people wanting drinks and food (but he always had a friendly attitude and did his best to take care of us as best as possible being short-staffed).
We stayed at the Grand class section, and the view was incredible! We also had a couples massage and did the hyrotherapy, which were amazing. Hated leaving! We are already plotting and planning a return visit!

Room Tip: Request a room on the 3rd or 4th floors of the Grand class for the best views
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda D
Linda, thank you for selecting Grand Velas for your anniversary celebration. I am happy that Joceyn and the rest of my staff were instrumental in making this special visit a memorable one. You describe many personalized details that you came across and received throughout your mini stay. We truly appreciate when our valued guests consider our resort for that special occasion and we do that “little extra” in appreciation for reserving with us. It really pleases me that our culinary tour was to your great liking and thank you also for noting that we had to make an adjustment to the service on the beach after your first day. We detect areas that need improvement and act on them for the betterment of the guest´s overall vacation experience. Linda, thank you for sharing the happiness of your anniversary and we would just love to be your Mexican hosts for many more special occasions.
Take care and kind wishes to you and your husband in San Antonio, Texas.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I always wondered what the difference was between a 4 star resort and 5 star. Now I know! The difference was huge! This is by far one of the best places I have ever stayed at. The service was outstanding in every way. The food was incredible at all the resturants however my favorites were the Italian and the Molecular! The spa was absolutley the best I have ever been in as well. I attended this resort on a company event however I would definitily come back on my own.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Zen section of the resort. Our room had a view of the jungle and a cenote.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aspiemom15
Thank you for your resounding seal of approval over our 5 star hotel rating. It pleases me immensely that you felt that Grand Velas “is by far one of the best places that you have ever stayed at” and that you found all of our services and products to be outstanding. I certainly hope as well that you can revisit and experience once again the newfound luxury that you enjoyed so much.

Thank you again and best wishes to you and your family this summer. Take care.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

I am writing this review on the eve of our return from a wonderful week in the Riviera Maya. We have been here before (several times), so our perspective is swayed by past experiences. (fyi) We are a family of 4 - 2 adults and children ages 8 and 9. We are able to get direct flights to Cancun from our home so it's an easy destination for us. 4 plus hours and we are in Mexico. Can't beat that! We always book a private transfer to the resort (a must for us but realize a splurge for others)...but it sets the stage for a relaxing and stress-free week of fun. Our arrival to the Grand Velas was very positive - greeted with a smile and a cold glass of juice plus a cold towel scented with an amazing perfume. Loved it all! Our family stayed in the Zen section of Grand Velas. Before we booked, we read reviews for both the Zen and Ambassador sections and decided that it was not worth the extra $$ to stay at the Ambassador (even though we do love the ocean!!). We did upgrade to a plunge pool suite - very nice but not sure it was worth it b/c our kids only "dipped" in the pool once. ha!
THE ROOM: Our room was really large, with 2 queen beds and a sofa. Please note that these are suites but more of a studio style. The "living" space is open to the bedroom space. We have stayed at resorts in the past with separate spaces for living & sleeping. We do prefer that arrangement but we were pleased with the size of the room. The bathroom was spacious and the shower (rain shower head) was amazing! Plenty of space for a family of 4. Since we upgraded to the plunge pool suite, we also had access to the lush tropical jungle setting and a "pond" with fish, turtles, etc. Each morning, the kids fed the turtles and fish. Very fun!
THE PROPERTY: We spent the majority of time in the Zen section - the pool(s) at Zen are serene and relaxing. We were typically the only few at that pool so received amazing service from the pool staff there. Our kids were happy there so we just stayed & hung out there most days. Kudos to Jacob, Carlos, etc. for amazing service at the pool. The drinks were cold, the food was good - what more could you ask for?!? The Ambassador section of the resort was very nice as well. We did venture to that area so we could enjoy the beach and larger pool area. The kids loved the swim up bar there (Zen has one too!) and the larger pool meant more splashing and more swimming. It definitely was busier there so didn't receive the level of service and attention we were used to at Zen - but understood. The beach is great - soft sand and you could walk for miles each way. Love that!!! But as other reviewers mention, the water can be rough (was rough each day we were there) and the floor of the ocean is rocky. Our family loves to swim in the ocean so that was a bummer to us. As a whole, this resort is so beautiful. Even though we stayed at Zen, we felt it was easy (very frequent and NICE shuttle buses take you back & forth) to get to Ambassador to experience the entire resort. We didn't spend much time at the adult-only section but I'm sure it was beautiful.
THE FOOD: Grand Velas probably has the best food we have ever experienced before at an all-inclusive (if not at all resorts we have been to) resort. With that being said, it was almost too good for our taste. We are not "foodies" at all but do love a good meal. Our kids are super picky eaters and were usually a-ok with most of the food we found at the restaurants. And if not, room service came to our rescue. Our best dinner was at Sen Lin (Asian), our best breakfast was at the buffet at Chakka and our best lunches were actually at the Zen pool. The tacos trios were delicious! At times, our meals were a little too "artsy" for us. But we still enjoyed and ate plenty...so it's all good. :)
OUR NEGATIVES:
Over the past 12 years, we have been to quite a few all-inclusives. Grand Velas is probably one of the over all nicest resorts that we have stayed at. With that being said, there was one major negative in our opinion. This negative really bothered us to the point that we probably would not come back to the property. Grand Velas advertises that they are all-inclusive but that is not entirely true. With each meal (buffet too), you receive a "check" and a review card. At the bottom of the check, you see a total (in pesos) of your order. There is a line under the total for additional tips. While we received exceptional service (see below), we felt pressured to tip each & every time we had a meal (breakfast, lunch & dinner - and some just "drinks" too). This made us feel uncomfortable and towards the end of the week, very frustrated. The reason we pay for all-inclusive (and a very $$$ all inclusive resort such as Grand Velas) is that we want to pay a high price up front but don't want to spend any $$ during the stay. We have always tipped at past resorts but never came away from an all inclusive week spending more than $500+ in tips like we did this time. We recognize hard work and exceptional service but felt compelled to tip each and every time b/c we felt bad. Also, each restaurant had the prices on the menus. Why? For an all-inclusive - this was unnecessary. For this reason, we will most likely try another resort or go back to a past resort we have enjoyed.
**** Hopefully you have read past this negative part b/c the staff is beyond amazing. A big shout out to the kids club staff at Zen. Our kids NEVER want to go to any of the kids clubs at past resorts but they loved it here. The girls in there are super sweet and really got to know our kids. So THANK YOU! Also, our concierge Jesus was AMAZING. He orchestrated a wonderful birthday celebration for our daughter, complete with balloons, cake, singing, streamers, etc. He was so wonderful to us and we truly appreciate his attention to detail on her special day. This resort hires amazing staff who are happy to be working at Grand Velas. They are attentive, polite, hard working and just amazing to be around.
Thank you Grand Velas for a wonderful week in Mexico!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank WalFam170
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for having selected Grand Velas this time for your family holiday. It is very convenient to be able to be at this vacation destination in such short time thanks to the increase of flights arriving in Cancun. Once here it is our job to cater to your needs and to make you feel that your selection of hotels and flight was more than worth it. I am glad that you felt that we are a “top notch resort” and that “Grand Velas is probably overall one of the nicest resorts that you have ever stayed at”. However, I do apologize if you felt compelled to leave tips.
The cheques are just an internal way of ensuring that the correct order goes to the correct guest and we do provide prices on the menus because on occasion non guests ask for reservations in our culinary venues and they will pay the listed price. It is important to note however that every single employee receives a weekly stipend directly from your reservation payment and any extra that a valued guest decides to leave is totally optional.
You will encounter the same professional service and warm smiles either way because we really take care of our loyal employees. Just as friendly and warm as our girls that administer the kids club. I am pleased that this feature really left a great impression on your little ones. They are very good at keeping the children entertained and fascinated by all the activities and the new friendships that are made.

I hope that you may reconsider a return visit, as from reading your review the positive aspects by far outweigh the negative. But I truly thank you for sharing your impressions on your recent trip and on behalf of the 1,300 Grand Velas employees I wish you and the children an excellent summer in Boston.
Take care.
Snohomish, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

From the moment we arrived you could tell this resort was a cut above. We just returned from a week long (short) family vacation with our daughter, son-in law and one year old grand daughter and never felt the stress normally associated with taking a toddler. Arendy Ortega took excellent care of us almost anticipating our needs and continuously following up with us to ensure our expectations were exceeded. I would also like thank Miguel at the pool and Alejandra at the spa for their personal and attentive service. We stayed in the Ambassador section with a pool and ocean view and it was spacious, clean and well thought out. The grounds and food were amazing and we look forward to returning soon. Normally after week we are ready to return but this time we all agreed we wish could have stayed longer. If you are considering an all-inclusive, the Grand Velas Riviera Maya is well worth the premium over less expensive alternatives.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you David for your kind comments and recommendation. As you referred to, Grand Velas is a more lucrative vacation investment and I am pleased that you consider us “a cut above”. With our unique series of ambiences, varied culinary options and personalized yet professional service, one can come away from a visit thinking that they made the correct choice in luxury resorts. And it pleases me immensely to know that you and your family felt: “we wish we could have stayed longer”. Your personal salute to Arendy, Miguel and Alejandra will be passed along to demonstrate to them firsthand that their fine efforts culminated in a very satisfied family.
Thank you again David and a special hello to you and the three generations of your lovely family in Snohomish, WA. Take care.