“Grand Velas Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Grand Velas Hotel”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a beautiful hotel with amazing rooms, pools and ocean view. The bar service at the pools was a little short staffed and a little forgetful and slow occasionally. The food was pretty good at the restaurants but the buffet was small and didn't offer much of a selection.

Room Tip: If you like being in the jungle stay at the Zen hotel if you want ocean front and no children stay a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LeighAnn J
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you LeighAnn for visiting us at Grand Velas and for bringing to my attention your observations on our pool service and buffet. We are always looking for those special areas of opportunity to improve our product and thanks to your comments I will certainly see to it that these areas are better covered and continually monitored. Overall I am glad that you consider Grand Velas a beautiful hotel with amazing rooms and pools, but it is my duty to see to it that all aspects of your stay are to your expectations.
Thank you again LeighAnn and I hope you find the opportunity to revisit us and see that we are listening to you and to all our guests.

Take care and have a great summer.
rgonzalezgvrm@velasresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (806)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

This resort is truly a first rate experience. The rooms are beautiful. The food is excellent. Our favorite restaurant was Cocina us autor. The shrimp ceviche by the pool was ordered every day. The only lacking area in service was by the pool. The pool attendants were not as prompt or responsive as we would have expected and it was not a function of capacity.

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you very much for sharing some of the details of your “first rate experience” at Grand Velas. One of the great and unique aspects of our product is our culinary tour. It pleases me that you found Cocina de Autor to be your personal favorite dining venue. It is truly a refined experience amongst our eight culinary options and to enjoy it more than once is a special treat. I will definitely look into the lack of attention of our pool service, as this is the second observation of this nature this week to come to my attention and I will see to it that corrective measures will be taken so that our guests have the best of service and are without any want or need.
Thank you again for your comments and observations and I truly hope to see you return to enjoy the shrimp ceviche on a daily basis again at our pools.
Take care and special regards to Baltimore, Maryland.

Ridgefield, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed during week of Easter break with my family. I stayed at The Ambassador Section our room was on ground level and steps from the pool. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we had superb service that we received from our personal concierge Alexis who attended to every detail to make our visit memorable and relaxing. We ate all the restaurants and the food and service were on par with the very best. At the beach concierge Raul. H and Marco made sure I always had what I needed… Hated leaving! Would definitely recommend and would go back again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AcostaFam
Thank you Sres. Acosta for recommending us to others and for sharing your glowing review with everybody. I take great pride in hearing that everything during your stay was superb and to Alexis, Raul and Marco I will personally thank them on your behalf for making your vacation a truly memorable one.
I am glad that you consider our culinary tour to be on par with the very best, as that is what we aspire to be, if not better. I hope that on your return trip we can continue to eclipse your expectations again resulting in even more long term memories.

Thank you again and fond greetings to you and your kind family in Ridgefield, New Jersey.
Take care.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Grand Velas, keep doing what you are doing, because you are doing it well.

The service was outstanding. I was hesitant to stay in the Zen suites since it is family oriented and I pictured lots of kids running around. But it was not like that and you did have a sense of privacy.

My butler in the Zen Suites was exceptional, thoughtful, friendly and kept things clean. Now I don't want to go gushing about this place, then have others disappointed by amped up expectations.

But I will say, if you want a luxury experience, it is there if you choose to use it. Here's the key to getting the 5 star experience: ask and you shall receive. The staff was very friendly throughout the resort and always available to help.

Sometimes, they seem to come out of nowhere when I needed them. Look, they aren't going to run up to you and kiss your feet, but hey will try to fulfill your reasonable requests when asked. And they have a subtle way to ask if you want help when they see you wandering around looking lost as I did often. I received typed notes from my butler reminding me about reservations and a nightly report about the weather for the next day. Turn down service was done really well, again top notch on every level.

The room was immaculate, spacious, everything spotless. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom spacious. The whirlpool tub was fantastic. I don't typically use the tubs at hotels, but this one was super clean and came with really nice bubble bath products. The amenities were L'Occitane products and they thought of everything that you could need in the bathroom. The mini bar was well stocked, wine, beer, water, soft drinks and snacks, and room service was as good as the restaurants and it was nice to have that option. There was a beach basket in every room for use which came in handy.

I tried two restaurants while there, Azul and Bistro. I liked them both. Azul for breakfast wit fresh made to order stations and a generous hot and cold breakfast buffet. Bistro for lunch and dinner, the menu was quite similar for both meals and it seemed that the portions were a little smaller for dinner.

The food on the beach was just ok and it took a while for things to get to the beach side chairs, but I've found that to be an issue at every resort hotel I've stayed at. Overall, the beach service was good for chairs, water, towels and taking orders. I have a lots of respect for those who have to spend all day in the sun running back forth in the sand with drinks, towels, etc.

The resort is huge and I liked the high ceilings everywhere. I never waited more than 5 minutes for the shuttle between the Zen suite and the Ambassador. Koi was also a fun option for late night drinks and dancing.

The pool areas were really nice and those in my group that used them spoke highly of them. I preferred the cabanas on the beach.

Some things that were just OK: the beach is pretty and there is an adult only side, but it is rocky in parts of the water, but it was nice to be able to take a long stroll along the beach. We also couldn't figure out how to take advantage of the paddle boards and free scuba diving lessons, but again I could have asked. I called to have my room service tray removed one night and no one showed up. The omelets in the room service and the Azul can be a bit undercooked, but that's minor and easily fixed.

Overall, it was a great experience and I'm trying to find a time to return soon. It just may be one of the few places I do repeat visits to if they keep up this level of quality and service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank kh214
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for your kind and detailed comments on your recent friends’ getaway. We as a team are very pleased to have exceeded your lofty expectations, especially for such an experienced and savvy traveler such as yourself. I appreciate your seal of approval on the service and product that we provide and in the way that we administer them on a personal basis. Everything from the smallest detail such as the weather report and turn down service right up to the comfort of your suite and your gastronomic experience, we were able to demonstrate that as a team we really can synchronize together and provide our valued guests a superior return on their investment. Your review will be translated and distributed amongst our staff as a form of motivation for a job well done. And let me assure that once we solve the mystery of our room service trays we will be that much closer to the perfection that we are seeking. I thank you once again for your fine comments and we look forward to hosting you and your friends again in Grand Velas.
Take care and special regards to Chicago, Illinois.

Ambler, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Our family of 4 returned last night from this fantastic retreat. We just cannot stop thinking about it, the friendly staff, sugar sand beach, lush vegetation, fine dining...We've already starting looking at possible future dates to return.
Our second floor Zen suite in the Ceido section was perfect, 2 queen beds and a roll away bed easily accommodated my wife, 19 yr old son, 13 yr old daughter, and me. We were not on top of each other in our suite, the bathroom is very modern, the air conditioning powerful, comfortable beds and pillows, and dark, quiet sleeping conditions. The shuttle to the beach area/better restaurants was usually waiting for us, we never waited longer than a few minutes, and the air conditioned ride is only a few minutes. Head directly to the Grand Class section, walk to the beach, turn right, and grab a couple of cabanas attended by Donato. Donato is very attentive, pleasant, and helpful. Look out at the turquoise water, gentle waves breaking onto the sugar white sands while sipping the beverage of your choice. Hungry? Have a snack or light meal delivered to your beach location. Hot? Take a dip in the Caribbean(caution-bring water shoes as it can be rocky on the bottom in places) or walk a minute to the adult only pool with the swim up bar. For a more formal meal, breakfast and lunch at Bistro is excellent (try the catch of the day--I had some incredibly fresh Grouper). We generally didn't leave this beach area until around 5. We'd then return to Zen's pool area for another hour and a golden margarita.
At night, we thoroughly enjoyed our meals at Piaf(especially the onion soup, duck, and filet mignon), Frida(rib eye was outrageous), and Cocina de Autor. Portions are generally not large but we are fans of quality over quantity.
Following dinner, we usually returned to Zen and the Koi lounge. Fortunately, the NHL or NBA playoffs were on practically every night and Koi has the largest projection tv screen I've ever seen. Please ask for Diana to be your server at Koi--when she tells you it is her pleasure to serve you, she truly means it.
Another option for breakfast or lunch is Chaka in Zen. Their authentic Mexican dishes are delicious and service impeccable. Antonio is a rock star.
My wife and daughter each enjoyed a spa treatment and raved. It was the first for my 13 yr old daughter and she came back from the hydrotherapy asking if we could buy a "bubble bed" for our house.
One last applause for beautiful Jimena, a private concierge. She spent a lot of time making sure our private shuttle arrangements to return to the airport were confirmed correctly and our boarding passes were printed and delivered to me.
This is my 10th time in Mexico, 5th in the Cancun/Riviera Maya area, and by far, this was the best vacation and all around nicest resort I have experienced here. Well worth its price!

Room Tip: Why spend an extra $500/night on Grand Class when Zen is available? Save the money and still enjoy e...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank RECohenesq
It pleases me immensely that you cannot stop thinking about your family vacation time that you very recently spent with us. To have left such a positive impact really delights us and makes us all the more proud of a job well done. I am glad that your accommodations in our Zen ambience were to your great satisfaction. The space, amenities and the quality of your suite left you wanting for nothing. That is the benefit of our spacious suites. Larger families can spend quality family time together instead of being in separate rooms. I also like that your family was able to enjoy many of our recreational areas, restaurant venues and bars. You certainly made the most of your days and evenings with the maximum of variety and scenery.

Thank you for your special applauses for the various employees that helped to make this a memorable visit. Donato, Diana, Antonio and Jimena will be commended for their valuable and personal attention to you and your family. Your kind words to them along with the knowledge that you felt that “this was the best vacation and all around nicest resort that I have experienced here” makes all of us as a team extremely proud and we would be delighted to have your family back in the near future.
Thank you again and from our family to yours; have an excellent summer in Ambler, Pennsylvania. Take care

Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We haven't been to an all-inclusive for 12 years, the last being Vatulele Island in Fiji.

I was skeptical I would be happy here because an all inclusive is tough to do right, especially given the size of this place. Happily all of my fears of experiencing something like a big cruise ship did not bear fruit.

Let me break it down:

The good

1. Grounds are well kept and views are stunning.
2. Rooms are ultra-clean every day. Kudos to the maids.
3. Personal concierge is the real deal, not just a name. They work their tail off for you even though you just want something mundane.
4. Kids/teen clubs are loaded with real activities and Rafael in teen club is amazing. A true friend to kids, not just a sitter.
5. Wait staff at Azul their base restaurant were polite and helpful. My 8 year old often went to breakfast by himself and the staff repeatedly carried his plate through the buffet and cut his waffles for him at the table.
6. Base restaurant Azul had a a great mix of food and quality was excellent.
7. Beach was immaculate and groomed every morning and beach service was polite and quick.
8. I live in a warm climate and have a large resort style pool at home so I dislike being by pools at hotels. Not here. Very unique, HUGE, beautiful pool with waiters always ready to serve.
9. Upscale restaurants were unique and clean. I think they overemphasize presentation and their base restaurant AZUL is so good, why get dressed up?
10. Great for kids of all ages without feeling like you are on a Disney cruise. The resort really finds a balance between sophistication and kid-friendliness.

The not so good (keep in mind I am making return reservations for almost 2 weeks in 2015)

1. Ocean is a bit rocky, but that's just the nature of the Yucatan shoreline and I like to bodyboard.
2. Swim up bar is huge and has great menu, but is uncharacteristically stark and cheap as opposed to the detail in all other areas of the hotel. The sound system at the bar is cheap and sounds poor. Exposed wires just run across the wall. They need a tile design backsplash or something to make it look a bit more sophisticated. When I sat at the pool bar I felt like I had been transported to Tijuana.
3. They really need to implement a pay-for cooking class. They have a unique opportunity with all those Mexican chefs on staff and huge kitchens to teach others the art of classic Mexican cooking. I would pay alot to learn how to prepare a few of the items off their Azul/Frida.

Nice, clean, sophisticated resort. Well done all-inclusive. You wont find one in the area any better. Never expected the consistent level of great service that helps one sink into vacation. See you for at least 10 days in 2015.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pboltonmd
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Just got back from a 4 day/3 night getaway to the Grand Velas Riviera Maya for our anniversary. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we had superb service, outstanding food and perfect weather (really can't give the resort credit for that, though :) ). We were met by our personal concierage, Yocelyn, who attended to every detail to make our visit memorable, including arranging for flowers and a rose-petal jacuzzi bath for us after our anniversary dinner.
We ate at Piaf, Autor and Bistro for our dinners, and the food and service were on par with the very best. In each of the restaurants, the wait staff acknowledged our anniversary and made special items to help celebrate the event. We especially loved Autor, both for the food and the service. We did room service, buffet at Azul and a la carte at Bistro for breakfasts and lunch, and all were very good. The only issue we had was on the first day at the beach on Saturday, where the beach concierge was obviously overwhelmed by the number of people wanting drinks and food (but he always had a friendly attitude and did his best to take care of us as best as possible being short-staffed).
We stayed at the Grand class section, and the view was incredible! We also had a couples massage and did the hyrotherapy, which were amazing. Hated leaving! We are already plotting and planning a return visit!

Room Tip: Request a room on the 3rd or 4th floors of the Grand class for the best views
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda D
Linda, thank you for selecting Grand Velas for your anniversary celebration. I am happy that Joceyn and the rest of my staff were instrumental in making this special visit a memorable one. You describe many personalized details that you came across and received throughout your mini stay. We truly appreciate when our valued guests consider our resort for that special occasion and we do that “little extra” in appreciation for reserving with us. It really pleases me that our culinary tour was to your great liking and thank you also for noting that we had to make an adjustment to the service on the beach after your first day. We detect areas that need improvement and act on them for the betterment of the guest´s overall vacation experience. Linda, thank you for sharing the happiness of your anniversary and we would just love to be your Mexican hosts for many more special occasions.
Take care and kind wishes to you and your husband in San Antonio, Texas.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Car...
#23 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!