“We go every year, but there are improvements to be made”

Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Ranked #3 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Oak View, California
“We go every year, but there are improvements to be made”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We love the service, the pools, the food, the rooms. We'll continue to go, but over the years they have been cutting back on special touches. They used to provide a wonderful lavender spray for the linens--no more. The mouthwash is terrible---don't try it. The toilet paper is rough and obviously the cheapest brand.
Worst change: they CHARGE for internet usage. Guests cannot use the business center (for even 10 minutes) without a hefty charge. They need to take a clue from Marriott and other resorts. They should not charge this much for a vacation and have this insulting charge added on. We would rate them Excellent if it weren't for this terrible policy. All the guests discuss it and find it to be very bad form.

Concierge services are the best ever and we look forward to seeing them every year!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Candice L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (773)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Ferndale, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Great resort. Amazing restaurants- some of the best food I've ever had. Not a place for those seeking night life - pretty low-key after sunset. Pool was one of the best I've ever seen. Spa amazing - treat your wife! Service - concierge for you hallway - was amazing. Absolutely first class all the way.

Minus a star for charging for internet service. For the all-inclusive premium you pay, you should not be charged for wifi in my opinion.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Brian P
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My mother, my sister in law and I spent a wonderful week at Grand Velas Riviera Maya. The resort was extremely well run and well kept. The rooms were very clean and the hotel staff was very courteous and catered to our every need. We stayed in the Grand class and each room had its own private plunge pool. We would return and stay in the same area. The food was excellent at all of the restaurants on the property. Marco was also an excellent server at the pool in the Grand Class. We would highly recommend finding Marco to serve you!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I cannot say enough about how wonderful this resort is! From the very first moment we arrived, we were treated like royalty, and this continued for the entire week that we were there. We stayed in the Grand Class section (adults only) and would highly recommend splurging for the ocean views and quiet atmosphere. The concierge staff were always so helpful in answering any questions we had or giving recommendations. Ana and Claudia were especially kind and helpful. They truly made our vacation amazing and unforgettable! Everyone throughout the resort has a smile on their face!

The food at Grand Velas is fabulous. We tried every restaurant except for Cocina de Autor and loved every experience. The food presentation was beautiful and the quality of food excellent.

We especially loved the atmosphere at the Grand Class infinity pool. We spent most of our afternoons enjoying the perfect views, relaxing pool, and great service (special thank you to Carlos for this). The beach is also beautiful and clean. Grand Velas works very hard to keep it that way. I walked up and down the beach and found that nearby resorts were full of seaweed and people had to wait in lines for food/drinks. Not us! We were well taken care of and had the best beach by far. I also enjoyed the free kayak rentals...nothing quite like it!

This was truly a trip of a lifetime. It may be more expensive than other resorts, but the experience is worth EVERY PENNY! I am already saving up to visit again! Thank you Grand Velas, for a beautiful experience!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

The lush vegetation, gorgeous entrance, the grand lobby with breathtaking views. If that's not enough for you, the delectable cuisine and superb service are just one of the many reasons why Grand Velas riviera Maya is above the rest, on a class on its own. From the moment you enter the property, you will be treated as if you are the only guest at the hotel. The accommodations are way above standard, and please don't leave without visiting the Spa.

• Stayed May 2014
New York, NY
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I stayed from June 23rd – July 1st on our honeymoon. I labored a lot on the best hotel so this review will include the information I look for when researching.

First Impression: AMAZING! The entrance is grand and it takes two minutes to get to the Zen Lobby. You’re surrounded by plush immaculately manicured jungle. I was concerned that the Zen area wouldn’t have the “wow” factor since it was cheaper than the other two sections (Still expensive for an average traveler), but I was pleasantly surprised and preferred these quarters compared to the other two hotels.

Transportation – I emailed the hotel a few times to find out about the transportation, but never received a response. There was a bit of a hiccup with the alternative transportation we planned, but when I called the hotel at the airport, G, which picked us up shortly. I was a little annoyed, but they upgraded our Zen property to a room with a pool. The hotel shuttle is $75USD one way. We took a cab when we checked out, which was $67USD.

Check-In – We arrived around 1:00pm and were escorted to our room within 10 minutes. Check-in is a breeze. The concierge comes to you and explains your package the amenities, etc. all while you drink their delicious tea and cool off with a cold towel. My husband and I appreciated not having to wait until check-in.

Room – It’s huge, more than enough room for two people. Very clean with cute slipper and his and her robes. I was concerned the room wouldn’t be cool enough, but some nights we had to lower it. In fact, our glasses would fog up as we left for the day given the difference of temperature between our rooms and outside. The pond is lovely, but I don’t think the extra $125 a night is worth it for a pond and a very small plunge pool, nevertheless, my husband and I appreciated the upgrade for our honeymoon.

Pools – In order of preference. By far, the Ambassador is where it’s at. The pool is amazing!! Service is great and it’s next to Azul, the buffet restaurant for breakfast and lunch. The beach is a few steps away. Because we were there during the off season, it felt very empty, which we liked. The Zen Pool is lovely, surrounded by plush jungle. My only complaint is there were leaves because of the foliage, but really, lovely and quite. Grand Class was a smaller, infinity layout and also by the beach. I didn’t have a desire to swim in this pool, but I learned that you can order from Bistro and eat it poolside, which is definitely a plus.

Beach - Soft white sand, but a little rocky.

Transportation throughout the Resort – The resort is not really walkable expect from Ambassador to Grand Class. They have 12 prompt Nilsson and Mercedes shuttles; traveling from one part to another shouldn’t be an issue.

Food – 6 out of the 8 restaurants are gourmet, which means, if you’re a picky eater you may find the menus limiting. Here is my breakdown in order of preference.
Frida’s - Ate here twice. Fine Mexican cuisine, no tacos, guacamole or burritos on this menu. Food is simply amazing. Gilberto was our waiter twice and made our experience. The poblano soup was delish and the rib eye outstanding. Churros were divine.
Lucca – Ate here twice. Italian fine dining. Very very good.
Bistro – Ate here twice for lunch. Simple Mediterranean cuisine. Catch of the day was outstanding.
Chackka – Ate here for breakfast and lunch. Fine
Azul – Buffet breakfast and lunch. Okay, nothing amazing.
Cocina Artur – For the foodie or Adventurous kind. You are served an 8 course tasting menu of the Chef’s choosing. Some of the items were out there and although I wouldn’t eat here again, I’m glad I had the experience.
Zen Lin - Hated it. Nothing on the menu appealed to me. This is what we ate the first night and I was nervous this would be our whole dining experience.

Tipping – It’s all inclusive so you don’t have to, but I feel they work very hard so what is a few dollars. My advice would be to have a $100USD in singles on hand and tip at your discretion. The staff gratefully accepted tips, which may be frowned upon in other chains.

Overall Impression – You will be in the lap of luxury. The staff is amazing and willing to make your trip unforgettable. I thought 8-days may be too long, but we really didn’t want to leave. There is not much nightlife or nearby cultural institutes, but we still had a wonderful time.

Tips for the Traveler: This is the information I will take with me next time we go.
- Stop at Walmart to buy toiletries and snorkel gear, and inflatable rafts for the pool / beach.
- Rent a car if you’re going to frequent town as a cab will cost you $23USD one way.
- Tour to Telum and Xel-ha was great, but very long. I would have liked to swim in the ocean, but we didn’t have enough time and I didn’t want to get back on the bus wet. We we arrived at Xel-ha at 11:30 and weren’t picked up until 6pm. For me this was way too long. Next time I would drive to both.
- Use sunblock. I tan, but burned a bit here. Don’t worry about the weather reports. Our forecast was cloudy and rainy all week and didn’t rain once.

Tips for the Hotel: Our stay was perfect, but here are some things that would make it even better
- Provide a shuttle into town every few hours, perhaps 9, 12, 3, 6, and 8pm
- Allow your guests to shower in the spa if they have a late flight home or create a partially enclosed shower on the beach.
- Better guacamole. There was only a mild version, which was very disappointing

Room Tip: Zen Suite is It’s huge, more than enough room for two people. Very clean with cute slipper and his a...