“Nice property - just overpriced for the value”

Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Ranked #3 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Nice property - just overpriced for the value”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We went at the end of July (hot and very humid) and stayed in the Grand Class section. I am 6'4", 255 lbs., and an engineer by trade.

Very nice property. 4.5 out of 5 stars overall.

The person to person service is above any other MX resort (or SoCal resort - The Del, The Montage, etc.) we've stayed at. In fact, their greetings and personal attention are so good it borders on annoying (sometimes you just wanna walk around without having to respond to anyone). If you're an extravert, you'll like it. An intravert? Probably not as much.

If you're able, have Gabriela, one of the concierge ladies, assigned to you. She speaks VERY proper English. She is very attentive as well.

The grounds are immaculate. They couldn't be better cared for. Perhaps some of the palm trees' branches may be trimmed back, but very nice overall. We've stayed at the Cozumel Iberostar, the Playacar Iberostar Tucan, the Iberostar Paraiso Beach and a couple other Riviera Maya resorts.

The suite's A/C and ceiling fan are a must, and they worked WELL. I'm used to 20% humidity, and in July in PDC, the humidity is 75%+. Most of the room was well cleaned and nice.

Food: the food tastes about equivalent to very good cruise ship food. For instance, I ordered spaghetti and meatballs at The Lucca (Italian). The wife ordered their lasagna. Olive Garden's spaghetti and lasagna are definitely better.

In all 3 restaurants we ate in (French (excellent violinist BTW!!!), Mexican and Italian), men have to wear LONG pants - even in freakin', 80% humidified July! This was particularly frustrating. Women, of course, bounce around in their scantily-clad short dresses. If I'm paying the bill for the food, I should at least be able to wear Bermuda shorts. After 2 separate requests in separate restaurants to get them to reduce the a/c temperature to 68-72 deg F, I gave up and resorted to sweating while eating, in a warm stuffy room - YUCH! I love seeing sweat bead up on my arms with sweat running down my ear lobes, while I'm trying to ingest food.

The Azul restaurant had the same comfort/air conditioning problem, on 2 separate mornings.

Again Senor Eduardo Vela RUIZ: it's my vacation, I'm paying the bill (an expensive one, mind you) - I should at least be comfortable while eating. Reduce the air temperature and let me dress presentable and comfortably.

Be prepared for a quick stare if you request ice with your water or drink. The concept of ice and cold air is mostly lost on Mexicans - even though it's a resource they can dispense. They prefer to sweat - I prefer to be comfortable on my vacation.

WiFi is included in the rooms and throughout the resort, but it is slow and sometimes unavailable (can't connect). I noticed the white Cisco wireless boxes on 10 ft poles around the area. Standing 15 feet from a couple of them did not improve the signal quality.

As advertised, the resort is all-inclusive (food included). The swimming pools are nice, as well are the lounge chairs and areas around them. The lagoon the resort has artificially created with concrete barriers is well-protected and really calms the waves - nice job adding that to keep the beach from eroding.

The shuttle vans between the main beach complex and the convention center/spa work well and run frequently (and their a/c's work well!).

Oh - the signage around the property is lacking. If you're trying to find the Azul while in the Grand Class, be prepared for an adventure. Same goes for finding the Mexican restaurant and Piaf. The signage on MX Hwy 307 is better. You'll probably have to ask 2 diff people in order to arrive at the correct dining destination. For some reason we could never get the elevator for the Mexican rest. to work correctly to go up - it has NO up button on its operation panel. Weird.

In all, you'll be impressed with the person-to-person interactions; they do notice you. If going in a Summer month, be aware you might be uncomfortable indoors of any restaurant (but not your room). For the value, I'd price a night at $700-850. $1000+ is too much.

Room Tip: Ambassador section is the curved part of the hotel, where most families stay. It's mid-priced of...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mark w
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you Mark for taking the time to bring to light some concerns that needed addressing and also for pointing out some of the positive aspects of your stay with us. We have of course maintained various styles of dress codes particularly in our gourmet dining venues in order to help create and add to the formal and exquisite culinary experience. We feel that we have to be stringent to a degree in terms of no shorts because there will inevitably be the debate of which shorts are acceptable and which are not. It would in all fairness turn into a subjective discussion into the definition of “nice shorts”.

So I believe Mark and with all respect that we will continue using the existing codes of attire. However, this certainly puts the onus on us at the same time to provide a comfortable ambient within our culinary venues. As this summer has been an exceptionally warm one I have already made the investment to update and install more air conditioning units in all of our restaurants. I do this in order to provide the best to our valued guests and I do understand that your feelings on this matter are valid ones. One constant that we are very proud of and that you praise, is the level of service that one receives while residing with us. Gabriela and all of our 1,300 employees do strive to be personable in a professional manner and always pro active to the needs and wants of our guests as you have personally seen. With the improvements that are taking place, together with our already high level of product, our goal is to provide you the best option in an all inclusive in Mexico.

Mark, thank you again for your helpful insights and I hope that you can return in the future to witness and feel that we are listening to your comments. Take care and fine regards to you in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

rgonzalezgvrm@velasresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (773)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I took our children to Hard Rock Riviera Maya in June. It was a disappointment. I had planned a surprise trip for my husbands 50th birthday to Grand Velas. I was concerned about going back in July even though I had read all the reviews!

Let me tell you it exceeded all my expectations and more! I would recommend spending the extra money. It is well worth it! Every detail from check-in to check-out is excellant! Our butler Gabba Flores made our vacation perfect. She was the prize jewel you never expect to meet!!

The only thing I disagreed with... On our last night there was a large Edward Jones seminar that had been there that week. We saw them have private dinner etc on the beach. My husband and I stayed in the Grand Class. It is mostly adults and children over 12 are allowed on certain floors to stay. Also, the restaurants in that area are adults only. The resort shut down one of the restaurants in the Grand Class which has outdoor seating by the pool. They made some guest get out of the pool and shut down the pool bar where we would have drinks by the beach and with one of our favorite bartenders Oscar. We could not do that on our last night. Not to mention there was alot of children at the dinner.

I feel the resort should have only had private dinners at the Ambassador side where families stay with small children. You should not close things when guest pay high dollar to vacation.

But aside from that, perfect vacation wish I was on my way back!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sonja A
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you Sonja for the confidence that you showed in returning to Riviera Maya and for ultimately selecting Grand Velas for your husband’s 50th surprise birthday trip. I am glad that all the details were well taken care of during your stay and that your “prized jewel” Gaby Flores was instrumental in ensuring a work free celebration. As you well know and have experienced firsthand Sonja we, as well as all resorts on this coast do cater to corporate groups and functions. They are an important segment for hotels especially in low season months.

However, we do not lose sight of the importance of our individual guests as we do our utmost to isolate as little area as possible and with the minimum of time needed to carry out a dinner or event. As with the group residing there during the same week we were successful in staging their previous events with little or no impact on the rest of our valued guests. However, I do sincerely apologize to you Sonja on the inconvenience that you felt on your last night and please believe me when I say that we have improved very much over the last six months in this regard. That is perhaps why you mentioned “perfect vacation, wish I was on my way back!”

Thank you again Sonja for your preference in our resort and I hope that every one of your birthdays can be celebrated here on the shores of Grand Velas. Thank you and please pass along a hearty congratulation to your husband. Take care.

Carmel, New York
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We went to Grand Velas for a family celebration of milestone birthdays and anniversarys. Included were my wife and I, our two daughters, their husbands, and our five grandchildren, ages 6 through 11. Everyone enjoyed themselves immensely. The most significant aspects of his hotel were the friendliness of the entire staff, extraordinary service, and beautiful, well maintained grounds. The masseuses at the spa were excellent. Most notable, however, was the poolside service by Santiago. This extraordinary gentleman attended to our family group of eleven with unparalleled service, providing us with lounges, towels, food and exotic drinks and doing so with genuine pleasure. He's the man you want at poolside.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the Karaoke room, located just off the lobby on the first floor, which can b...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Art L
Art, I cannot tell you what a pleasure it was to host the three generations of your loving and united family. To organize travel and accommodations to Riviera Maya in order to celebrate such milestones is a great endeavor on your family’s part, but once you are with us the commitment of great times falls on us. We really like to organize celebrations like yours as it gives a warm pleasure to see the happiness of everyone come together and to know that we helped by being a part of it. The service which you experienced is very genuine and proactive as witnessed by you. Our staff, as well as Santiago gets to know your wants and preferences so they can provide a more efficient service along with perhaps a few nice surprises.
Art I would like to personally extend my congratulations to all of your family in Carmel, New York and please know that you also left some great memories amongst our staff.

Thank you and all the best!
Carmel, New York
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel was beautiful with something going on all the time for all ages. The service and friendliest of all the staff was above the norm. Especially Santiago our pool attendant. He always had a smile on his face and could not have been more helpful and caring of all our needs even when the kids would order a mud slide and he would come back with four of them and then another child would want to order one too! Sebastian our Concierge at the Ambassdor was very helpful making dinner reservations and checking on us.
We enjoyed going to all the different restaurants each with their unique decor.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sharon L
Why thank you Sharon for also sharing your happiness with everyone on TripAdvisor. I say also because I just had the pleasure of responding to your husband’s review as it really demonstrates the love and unity that you both share as you do these types of things together. Please be assured Sharon that Santiago and Sebastian will be recognized by me for their fine contributions toward the success and enjoyment of your birthday and anniversary celebrations that the three generations of your lovely family experienced with us. I am sure that many in Carmel, New York are also with you in congratulating you on your milestones.
It was a pleasure to get to know you all and it would be such an honor to host you and the family again for when the opportunity allows.
Thank you again Sharon and all the best to you and your family this summer. Take care.

Miami, FL
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Best service we have experienced in the Cancun-Riviera Maya-Playa del Carmen area. We have stayed at different resorts every time and this was our sixth visit to the area. With very few exceptions, you see staff working hard and still very nice to guests. Even the staff who don't work with guests directly greet you with a smile every time. Eventhough it was full, it didn't look crowded. In any case, you always have options, a pool in each of the three areas, two kids clubs, different restaurants, spa, beach. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Our concierge Rodolfo and Paco were nice and accomodating. The beach is not the best in the area unfortunately but it is good enough and it was not crowded at any time. Luis at the beach area was great. Food can be very good. Our favorite was Cocina de Autor. A must. Hats off to the chef! French and Asian restaurants were very good too. Frida was not our favorite. Not a pools lover but have to accept that this is the best I have been to so far. The girls in the kids club in the Zen area are nice. Didn't feel the push to tip like other reviews say.

Cons: I'd have liked to have more basic food.Still food is great.Didn't like that restaurants are dark at night, not comfy with kids.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for pointing out the exceptional service that we trying to consistently provide to our valued guests. Courtesy and hospitality are very pleasing gestures to extend and our staff really knows that and demonstrates their personal friendliness to all. They also know that a warm smile and greeting are priceless and what is not to be happy about while working on the shores of the Riviera Maya? Their happiness is passed along to our guests and that really adds to the already luxurious and tropical ambience.
The openness of the resort that you felt, even though we were at 100% occupancy is really due to the expansive layout of the premises which is comprised of three different ambiences as well as mangrove areas. We had designed the entire complex with your comfort in mind and I believe that you enjoyed that aspect of freedom. Thank you for that. I am also glad that you enjoyed our culinary tour and that the large variety of dining venues that allowed you to try different themes and dishes. You now have your favorites in mind so that when you return you will know what your preferences are.

Thank you again for your valuable comments on you “great stay” and we wish you and your family a wonderful summer in beautiful Miami, Fl. Take care.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

It’s amazing the impact that one person, Bautista at the Zen pool, can have on your experience. With the resort at 100% (see Crowds below), Bautista made us feel like we were the only ones at the resort. There were others who gave us special service (Felix at Chaka, Alfredo and Franciso at Luca), but Bautista lifts it to another level. Seek him out.

I read new reviews daily once we booked, so this review will target (for the most part) the areas with questions that I still had after reading reviews.

Zen pool - The Zen pool pictures puzzled me in its configuration. Why are there so many sections? Each section is a different depth, so the kids’ pool has sections appropriate from toddler to teenager. This design allows you to feel like you have your own personal pool. It’s genius design. The Zen section is something I’ve never encountered before. You can book countless beach resorts, but something like the Zen combined with the beach is unique. We’ll stay at the Zen when we come back.

Snorkeling – Most reviews say it’s not worth snorkeling here. My husband and son found plenty to entertain them. Hopefully, I can add some pictures. Swim around the barriers and you’ll find good enough snorkeling to try it.

Crowds – We were there at the same time as the Edward Jones group you’ll read about in other reviews in July. The resort was at full capacity with this group and also with many large families. They handle crowds well here as it never felt too crowded. Having said that, it was frustrating to watch the fuss being made over Edward Jones and the large families. That’s why staff like Bautista make a difference here. We were told that the resort would be much less crowded in a few weeks. I’d love to be here when the resort is wide open.

Tipping - We had both pesos and dollars for tipping. We asked once we ran out of pesos and were told by the staff that dollars were fine and even preferable.

Reservations - You can make reservations on the site before you go. Turns out that if we hadn't we would have eaten at 10:30 each night. Our concierge had already linked up my restaurant reservation to our room by the time we got there.

Wifi - Wifi was included, but if you needed hi-speed, there was an extra charge. Wifi worked fine for us. I’m guessing that management had been reading the Tripadvisor reviews!
Umbrellas - With the resort at capacity, there weren’t umbrellas on the beach when we first walked up. We were told 30 minutes which I doubted would happen. But in about 15 minutes, we had an umbrella.

If you have kids, pack a ball to toss in the pool. You’ll have hours of fun with something that takes up little space in the suitcase.

Some have mentioned that the mosquitoes are bad, but the flies are worse. There are biting flies that get you around the pool. The worst for us was the shuttle and then walking around at the Ambassador. My son and husband didn't get bitten once, lucky dogs.

Eat Mexican food while you’re here. Drink Mexican beer (which is every bit as good as American beer!). Do tequila shots. You’re in Mexico and should enjoy the benefits of being in a different place. The chilaquiles at breakfast are incredible!

We were upgraded to a suite with a plunge pool which was on the bottom floor. We could hear every foot step above us. My insurance industry husband explained that’s because of the construction they have to use for hurricanes. Hearing noise above me normally bothers me, but this was tolerable.

We loved Cocina de Autor. This would be a $400/couple dining experience at home, but here it was included. Keep an open mind and trust that the chef knows what he’s doing because you don’t normally get a chance to eat a place like this.

Our shuttle picked others up after us. Those resorts were on my final list of resorts. My husband and I agreed that we'd made the right choice. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Request a top floor room if you are sensitive to noise overhead
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank catherp
DirectorGVRM, General Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
When enjoying your vacation time at Grand Velas practically everything that you see, touch, feel and taste is very much due to the teamwork of the owners and their 1,300 employees. But as you mention Kath, it just takes one person to change a terrific vacation experience into a truly unforgettable one. And your hero of the vacation is Primitivo Bautista. This gentleman has been with us only since February, but his positive attitude and warm human relation has made him an excellent example for his peers to emulate. He is such an important ingredient to the Zen ambience and perhaps he is one of the main reasons that you will reserve there on your next visit. I am especially pleased that you noticed and pointed out the minimal effect that groups are having on our individual guests. Because of the comments received earlier this year we have taken constructive steps in making group functions less intrusive and the positive results are showing. And in speaking of reviews, you are correct in saying that it was the overall voice of our clients that made us feel compelled to offer a free basic wifi service, which we have been doing since December of 2013. I am pleased Kath that after much research on TripAdvisor you have come full circle and you are now contributing your own expressions to the Grand Velas experience in order for others to read and make their own careful decisions. And let me point out that your review will have its very own impact, as Bautista will be recognized personally by me based on your wonderful impressions of him. As you mention Kath that you will be back, I hope that perhaps we can share a dinner with your family in your favorite restaurant Cocina de Autor and enjoy the new creations presented by my executive chef Eric Maeyer. Thank you very much Kath for selecting Grand Velas and of course for your splendid review of the experience. Take care and warm regards to the family in Atlanta, Georgia. P.S. Thank you also for sharing your wonderful photos…..

Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We went to Grand Velas in the off-season (November) because we knew the prices would be lower. We were expecting a very nice resort, but this was beyond our expectations. The grounds were immaculate and every meal was first-class dining. The restaurants were equivalent to 5-star restaurants and the food was amazing. We have been on several trips and this trumped all of the other all-inclusives we have been to. I would recommend this to couples or families with older children, however. Our kids were 10, 7, and 3 and there wasn't a lot to do with younger kids on the resort. The kids' and teen clubs were amazing, but our kids were a little young to leave alone. The youngest had to be at least 4 or 5 to stay in the kids' club without an adult present. This sort of a put a damper on our adult dining and fun, but we still enjoyed everything about this resort! Staff was excellent- polite, attentive, nice, etc.

Room Tip: We booked a room that had a big balcony with an outdoor "bed" that you could actually lay...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank downetime
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
It is very satisfying for us to know that we were able to eclipse your expectations on your vacation experience and that you found our culinary tour to be “first class”. To have “trumped” all your other all-inclusive holidays says a lot about your family´s happiness toward your stay. We do provide a wide array of activities and entertainment for the little ones, however we are looking into ways to provide the best attention for three year olds and younger as they certainly do require personal care.
I hope that since your visit last November your now four year old will be a little more independent allowing the both of you to finally enjoy some time together over a romantic dinner. I hope soon you can all return to where you can now say “expected luxury”, since you now know the quality that is provided by my resort.
Thank you for your kind words and we extend many warm wishes to you and your family in Des Moines, Iowa. Take care.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,720 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,754 reviews
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#9 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,377 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#23 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,148 reviews
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#75 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,831 reviews

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!