“Perfect Family Vacation”

Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Ranked #4 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 20 August 2014

When I booked our family vacation initially I stayed clear of all-inclusives because I thought the food was sub par, the drinks were watered down and the service was non existent. Well for those who felt the same as I please let me assure you that I was totally wrong. My wife and I have been to Mexico for over 10 years now and have been to some of the best resorts such as Las Ventanas, One & Only, Capella Pedregal to name a few and even though Velas didn't hit on all marks they gave all the resorts named a run for their money. First off the food was excellent except by pool side - I suggest you skip it and if you want lunch go the Bistro or Azul, the food and especially the drinks are excellent. Oh by the way book your RESERVATIONS BEFORE YOU DEPART FOR YOUR VACATION FOR DINNER, please thrust me if not you will be out of luck for the ones you want to go to. The rooms were spacious and comfortable even to roll away beds for the kids, the mini bar was filled every day( my kids loved it ). But most of all the service was excellent except for the first two days by the pool once we moved to Jose's location we were well taken care. By the way I read several reviews about tipping regardless what your opinion is these people work their butts off because the salary they receive from the resort is laughable ( look up Mexico's minimum wage ) I do not hesitate for a moment to tip these hard working men and women because they made the stay at Velas special. So in terms of value and service its to beat this resort and rest assured that this all-inclusive is special.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank fionakeira
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Fiona, thank you very much for your kind words and for also taking a chance on us as your first all inclusive. I am proud to have been able to demonstrate to you and your family that we are not the stereotypical all inclusive. We have brought our product to amazing heights in terms of facilities, service and of course cuisine. I am also glad that you consider us as being “special” and that you found that it will be hard for the competition to beat us. As a team, our goal is to be the best at what we do and the best at what we provide to our valued guests. I hope Fiona that in the future you will consider us again for your luxurious and stress free vacation when deciding where to go in Mexico. In the meantime have a great summer in incredible New York and just to let you know, Jose sends you his greetings. Take care.

rgonzalezgvrm@velasresorts.com

Write a ReviewReviews (3,373)

Reviewed 20 August 2014

This was a "true vacation"! We spent 7 nights at the resort the end of July and couldn't have been happier. We were a group of 11 ranging in age from 6-74, the resort was perfect for all ages. We stayed in the Ambassador, rooms were beautiful, spacious, and very clean. We received fresh towels in the morning and turndown service which was fantastic. Sebastian was a great concierge who always checked on us, made our dinner reservations and helped get us a doctor when my daughter had swimmers ear. A doctor was in our room in 45minutes and a RX delivered to the pool by Sebastian within an hour. The children (6, 8, 9, 10, and 11 years) were always busy at kids club, playing water polo, beach volleyball, etc. They loved checking into kids club especially in the evening and the 6 adults could have dinner alone and one of the adult only restaurants. The restaurant decor was stunning and the food was very good, definitely a lot of places to choose from on property. We absolutely loved the Spa, definitely the best spa experience I ever had, and I love spas. All the staff always had a smile on their face and were very friendly. What truly made our vacation was SANTIAGO at the pool, he was amazing! He always had a smile on his face and greeted us in the morning with a mimosa and a bucket of ice cold waters. He was such a gentlemen and always there asking if we needed anything. He knew which drinks we liked and took care of us throughout the day. As a mom of 3 kids who always need something it was so nice to have someone getting me something!!! The beach was beautiful the nicest white sand, the ocean was pretty but very rocky so unfortunately as gorgeous as it was we didn't get to spend time in it, that was the only negative. I highly recommend this resort, especially if you are looking to go away with other families or friends.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kim C
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you very much Kim for expressing the happiness that you felt on your family vacation. It is an honor for us to host your three generations of family and to provide the perfect setting and element that allows fun, enjoyment and relaxation for all of you. I am pleased that you took the moment to recognize some of the staff that really stood out and helped to contribute to your successful vacation. Persons such as Sebastian and Santiago understand that no service is too little and that no gesture is too insignificant to carry out. The culmination of the “little things” really complements the larger things such as your beautiful suites, recreation time, culinary enjoyment and the ultimate in pampering in our spa. As it team it certainly pleases us to know that the resort was perfect for all ages and that everyone in your group couldn´t have been happier.
Emotions such as those are precisely what we wish to accomplish from the moment that you make your reservation with us. Kim, again please accept our heartfelt thanks to you for your kind words and also for selecting Grand Velas for your cherished family reunion. Take care and warm greetings to all in Boston, Massachusetts.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed in the Zen section during our stay. The room was large and well-appointed. The view could’ve been better as we had a direct line of site right to a satellite/cell phone tower, but we weren’t in the room very much so it wasn’t a big deal to us.

My husband and I are foodies which is why we chose this resort. Almost every resort in Mexico or the Caribbean has a nice pool near the turquoise colored ocean. We feel the differentiating factor between the resorts is the food quality so I’m going to spend most of my review on this part. We had dinner at all five restaurants during our stay, and we dined at all the buffets and had lunches at Bistro. The breakfast buffets were nice, but I’ve admittedly had a better selection of items at other resorts. Chaka is much quieter and not quite as hectic as Azul. Service is also significantly better. We also went to Chaka for lunch one day. The food was decent although not memorable. We had breakfast one day at Bistro and had quite a few lunches there. Bistro is very good. I especially liked their tuna and salmon tartar appetizer. It was delicious. Additionally, their hen entrée is very good. For the most part, we had good experiences at all their dinner restaurants except for one which I will explain more a little bit later. Sen Lin was good, but we felt some of their other restaurants were a lot better. Another couple we met at the resort regarded Sen Lin as their favorite restaurant so it could be a matter of taste. I expected to like Piaf more than I did since the reviews on TripAdvisor were favorable. While I found it to be very good, I wasn’t blown away by any of the meals I had there. The cheese bread there is simply delicious, though. The two restaurants where we had an amazing dining experiences were Autor and Frida. The food at Frida was so good and creative. Autor was our absolute favorite. We want to go back to Grand Velas just so we can dine there again! It was probably one of the best meals I’ve ever had. This is coming from someone who has dined at restaurants in Chicago, Las Vegas and NYC with Michelin stars. I truly think Autor compares to them. The food was innovative and simply divine. We thought about cancelling our reservations that we had a Lucca one night so that we could go back to Autor since we had heard mixed reviews about Lucca. We opted not to….which we later realized was a bad idea. Our meal at Lucca was not good. Other than one dish that I would describe just as ok, the others ranged from not good to inedible, including the shrimp and calamari where a few pieces of shrimp were not at all fresh. Our filets that we ordered medium were sent out charred. We showed our server who simply shrugged and laughed while saying, “Well, what can you do?” Since it was an all-inclusive, we felt weird about sending it back. We certainly would have had this been a restaurant where we had been given an actual bill at the end of the evening. We ate maybe a quarter of the filet. Also, don’t order the cannoli expecting it to be anything like a cannoli you’d find in an Italian restaurant in the US. Their cannoli is different in every way – look and taste – and not in a good way. We were overall disappointed with our meal there, but nothing could have prepared us for what happened later. My husband and I both woke up in the middle of the night with gastric issues. We are 99.9% it was our meal since this issue hit us both at the same time after having had food that didn’t seem fresh. I was very sick. The next day I could only eat a few bites of food at a time because I was nauseous. While my husband recovered much quicker than I did, I was sick for several days. I even had to go to a doctor when I returned to the US. We had overheard a couple talking at the pool that day about how they had been sick from the resort’s food and mentioned this to their concierge who insisted that it was a virus because “the hotel has regular inspections from the health department.” After hearing this, we opted not to say anything. We said something to our travel agent when we returned who did tell the hotel. I will say that the hotel management did seem concerned that this happened to us and ensured that they would take action so this wouldn’t happen again. In hindsight, we probably shouldn’t have been scared off by the other couple’s experience since hotel management seemed to be effective in mitigating these situations. As another note, I will say that consistency is an issue at all the restaurants. For instance, we had a negative experience at Lucca along with another couple we spoke with. On the other hand, another couple mentioned to us that their experience at Lucca was so wonderful one night that they went back only to be disappointed by their meal the second time (and they ordered the same meal they ordered on the first night). We noticed the same thing at Bistro – a dish we ordered repeatedly would be completely different (albeit good) every time we ordered it. The hallmark of a good restaurant is making sure a dish is the same from one day to the next. It’s something I would suggest to the executive chef to try to do better at controlling.

On to service. We felt that it was good, but other than a handful of experiences it wasn’t what we were expecting. The hotel was at capacity due to the Edward Jones conference. I think many of the staff were overwhelmed, and the hotel certainly could’ve used more hands on deck. Drinks by the pool would take 40 minutes or more to arrive so we eventually starting going directly to the bar ourselves. Our concierge was never around and dropped the ball on something really big (the hotel already knows about this so I’m not going to rehash it since it still boils me up). We did have stand-out service at Sen Lin, Autor, Frida, the Zen pool and the Zen pool bar. If I had to rate the hotel overall on the service from the places I just listed, I’d give them over five stars. While service was friendly everywhere else, it had a tendency to be a bit slow and impersonal at times. Once again, this could have been because of the large group that essentially took over the whole hotel, but I think management needs to bring in more staff at those times so that these large groups don’t impede on other guests’ vacation experiences.

Overall, we had a good time there other than the unfortunate illness on the last two days of our trip.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mnk2406

Thank you very much for bringing to my attention your valuable insights concerning your recent July vacation with us. As New York City “foodies” I feel that it is wise to take into account your various observations on our ample and diverse culinary tour. I appreciate your kind accolades on much of our dining options and especially for your great delight in Cocina de Autor. To be recognized in the same light as some of the most renowned and prestigious restaurants in the U.S. is an honor that we take very highly. On the other hand I respect your constructive opinions on really two other aspects that you mention of our cuisine. I have already instructed my executive chef Eric Maeyer to re examine his dishes in restaurant Lucca in particular the shrimp, calamari and cannelloni selections. In a resort that has eight dining venues there will be of course some more enjoyable than others depending on each guest´s tastes and experiences. But I took you at your culinary wisdom and decided to call for the total audit of the Italian menu which is now changed with the necessary updates.

The other facet that we are always striving for is the consistency of each plate. As you so correctly pointed out, the excellence of a once established dish must be consistent in every one of its aspects in order to maintain the popularity of its appealing effects. Now the quality of each plate certainly goes hand in hand with the hygiene which is used to prepare it. As a hotel director for 20 years I have had experience and instances with guests feeling ill for varying causes.
However as the term “guest” implies, “as a guest in my home, house or hotel”, I must, as an honored host see to your well being and comfort while you are in my home, house or hotel. And that starts with ensuring our valued guests that our food quality and handling processes are strictly adhered to from the selection of the ingredients all the way to your table. Furthermore when a guest is reporting symptoms of stomach discomfort for whatever reason or cause we will conduct a hygiene audit based on the dining experiences of the particular guest and also my housekeeping staff will be advised to take the proper steps in disinfecting the delicate areas of the suite such as the restroom, door handles and linens. As a resort, it is vitally important for us to recognize that there may be obstacles that confront us, but this hotel will work with the guest in order to continue to meet and exceed the expectations of each one, especially in extraordinary circumstances. Señora you have my great appreciation for sharing your culinary insights with us and for the patience and understanding that you demonstrated during the last days of your vacation.

I really look forward to being your honored host again in the future.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

(We actually stayed in Feb 2013, not Sep 2013, but Feb 2013 is not an option anymore.)

Just wanted to write a short notice about our third trip to this fantastic resort, that took place in Feb 2013.

I don't really have that much to add, since I have already written long reviews for our stays in Feb 2010 and Feb 2011, but:

After having stayed at Grand Velas RM in 2010 and 2011, we wanted to do something else, and in 2012 we went instead to Turk & Caicos. We stayed for one week at The Veranda, and one week at Beaches.

And although the Veranda was said to be the similar in standard to Grand Velas, and although it was nice and we enjoyed our stay there, we could not help but compare it to Grand Velas - and it just could not compete. At Grand Velas the food is much better, choise of restaurants/menues much better, service very much better, and the whole property is so much better kept. The only thing better at The Veranda, was that you could get multiple room suites/apartment of different sizes, and in Grand Velas you mainly get 1-room suites.

Beaches is of course a different kind of property to Grand Velas completely and we expected that - so that we were fine with the food/service not being as good there as in Grand Velas. What Beaches had to offer in terms of activities etc for the children made up for that, so we enjoyed our stay there, too.

We've always had Ambassadors Suites in Grand Velas, first time with ocean view, second and third time with pool view. During our stay in 2013 we were shown some larger suites that they have in the part to the left (facing the beach) - i.e close to the breakfast restaurant at Ambassador. These were really, really nice (if very expensive), so that we have decided that sometime we will stay in one of these. We will for sure go back again in a couple of years!

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the beach/walking distance, you cannot choose Jungle Section, since you w...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lillekitte
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Thank you very much for your continued interest and appreciation of Grand Velas. To compare us to your subsequent travels over the years really means that we have left quite a positive impression on you, almost as if we are now your benchmark for a quality and fulfilling holiday and I am impressed with your memory and attention to detail. I have always said that we are very fortunate to host some very detail minded clients and that is why our own internal standards are placed very high. We do that so you and many other valuable guests continue on with unforgettable memories of a truly special place. We look forward to hosting you again for when the opportunity presents itself and please know that everyone here recognizes and appreciates your loyalty to the resort. Thank you again and warm regards to you and your family in beautiful Stockholm, Sverige. Ses snart min van.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed at the Grand Velas with 3 other couples for a friend's birthday. From check in to check out you're treated as if they really want to please. We stayed in Grand Class for adults only. The rooms were spacious and very well appointed. Our concierge made us always feel welcome and met every need. The pool and beach service was always there offering food and drinks. The service in the restaurants and bars was always great and on time.

The ladies used one of the exorcise classes and had a great time. I used the gym twice and found it in good shape, clean and good equipment.

We would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

What a very pleasant way to celebrate a friend’s birthday than to do so on the shores of Riviera Maya. And it gives me great pleasure that you and your close group chose Grand Velas to be the host for your good times. Our Grand Class suites are very large and open giving you that feeling of freedom while facing straight out to the Caribbean. Actually all of our well appointed suites would be considered Presidential or Governor Suites in many hotels just based on the sheer size along with the luxury amenities that come standard. To complement your accommodations our dedicated staff was always on hand to provide the eight of you with enough fine service to help make your dining and get-togethers relaxed and entertaining. I hope that you will think of us in the future when that heartbeat urges you to take your next vacation. Thank you for your patronage and for sharing your happy times with everybody. Take care and special regards to all in Arizona.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

My recent holiday at Grand Velas was simply Perfect! This was my first experience in the Mayan Riviera and staying at Grand Velas has certainly set the bar extremely high. The hotel facilities were beautiful, clean, spacious and very luxurious. The service was impeccable....from Jose on the beach to Gabriel at Bistro. The culinary treats that I experienced each day left me satiated and wanting for nothing. Eric, the executive chef ensured that each meal was true perfection. What more can I say.....except Grand Velas was most definitely the best hotel I have ever stayed in and certainly worth the distance that I traveled from Singapore. I plan to be back soon....very soon!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

It is a very nice feeling as I sit and go through the comments of our valuable guests to know that the great majority are very pleased with their experiences and your delightful descriptions really made my Saturday afternoon. It is such a pleasure for us to represent Mexico and The Riviera Maya region to first timers. And to actually have the honor to be your host is a privilege that I hold high. Please note that what we wish to provide our guests is a confidence in our consistency, so that when you do return to Grand Velas you can be sure that the high bar that you set will be met and eclipsed thanks to the genius creativity of my executive chef Eric. Thank you so much for selecting us for your first taste of Riviera Maya and also for taking the effort of travelling from half a world away to enjoy our cuisine and hospitality. Take care and kind greetings to you and your friends in beautiful Singapore.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

From the moment you arrive, you will understand the reason people say it is a step above. Truly grand in every way.

The rooms...All the rooms are spectacular. You truly can not go wrong. The entry level suite is over 1100 square ft. with beautiful decor; the Zen suites are in the jungle just a few minute shuttle ride from the beach. The shuttle is 24 hours a day. next up is the Ambassador at just over 1200 square ft. This is an infinity pool/ocean view. The first two are family resorts. The third is an adult section allowing 12 and up to stay.

So much to love at this place. The food is out of this world. We ate appetizers at Frida and I has escamoles (ant caviar). Weird but delicious. Piaf was so romantic. A man in a black tuxedo played a violin. The food was delicious. The ulitimate in cuisine was at Cocina De Autor and what a treat we had. they said 8 course meal but it felt like ten. Amazing, truly a gift from the food gods.
We have 4 videos about this resort as it was extra special. Three show the rooms and one about a free kayak ride to the reef where we snorkeled along with a life guard as our guide.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Zen suites. I preferred it because it was truly amazing and the beach was a short...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

I thank you very much for your personal descriptions of the experiences that you most certainly enjoyed while residing with us. Your accolades express very well the personal luxuries that our guests enjoy as well as the savory delights that adorn the menus of our eight culinary options. Options and variety: that is precisely what you convey and what we designed for Grand Velas in its planning and pre construction stages. Three lifestyle ambiences which you so nicely point out and its size. Our suites are quite large compared to other luxury hotels and having a front door that is 1.4 meters wide really justifies the size of our units especially when one first arrives. Some of the dining venues and dishes that you referred to really offer a great variety for even the most distinguished palate. That is why we do not make reference to a “food and beverage program”. But we refer to it as a culinary tour, which is exactly what it is because of the variety that is provided. And I am truly delighted that you delved into some of the specific creations of our chef and most importantly I am pleased that it was all to your great liking. To be considered “the grandest” and “a step above” is testament that we truly have raised the bar on high end all-inclusive resorts. I thank you again for your wonderful praises, for your preference and also for the great videos and photos that you provide. I hope that we can share a table some evening in Cocina de Autor and enjoy the culinary experience together with your family. Take care and all the best for you both in glorious Nashville, TN.