“Almost Heavenly!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Germantown, Maryland
“Almost Heavenly!”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

After researching the resort for about six months, and reading the reviews and perusing their website almost daily up until our travel date, I must say that we were anxious to arrive. Like all, we thought the resort was beautiful. We arrived to an "open air" resort which I wasn't exactly expecting! We stayed in the zen section. The staff were attentive and quickly welcomed and attended to us. Allergy sufferers and asthmatics BEWARE!! As we got closer to our room, I could smell the mold and mildew which was much worst in the room! So much so that it was in our clothes and I had to take meds the entire vacation and could barely breathe ( I would suggest to the hotel use dehumidifiers). But if you don't have allergy or breathing problems the zen section is tranquil, quiet, relaxing and beautiful. Wifi was free but slow. The shuttle ride was not a problem and ran constantly. We felt like we were the only ones at the resort being in the zen section! The staff were incredible everywhere and the spa is first class, amazing and not to be missed. I would suggest that you make dinner arrangements prior to arrival if you want specific restaurants and times or you may not get what you want. Cocina is their best and we also thoroughly enjoyed Frida and Sen Lin. Be prepared the public spaces are very warm as we were sweating each night at dinner even with very light clothing on but the spaces are well designed, decorated and breathe taking. The ambassador pool was amazing the zen pool and service is a must do and experience also! We found the beach beautiful but a little too rocky. Overall, beautiful resort and first class staff and I would highly recommend the resort!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Monica T
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Thank you Monica for having taken the time to investigate your true preference for your vacation site and also for selecting Grand Velas based on that vigorous research. In writing your review after your return home and feeling that you would highly recommend us to others, it makes us feel honored to have impressed you so much. I do understand the need to make every guest´s stay with us a truly unforgettable one and that includes the conditions of your suite and the area that surrounds it.

We are in the midst of a renovation to our Zen ambience and much of the focus to that remodelation is to eliminate the stuffiness that can be found in our area of the jungle. We are adapting the air conditioning units of our Zen suites with a system of filters to eliminate any slight musty odor that may come from outside as well as having the front doors sealed tighter to keep the cool, fresh air inside the accommodations. We are 50% advanced on these works and we expect to have the entire Zen ambient refitted and remodeled by mid September. The investment is the same for newer air conditioning units in our enclosed restaurants.

We also felt the need to address that issue and that has been rectified to a great degree. I feel that as you invested much time in us Monica, that we must reciprocate and address your needs and concerns, as well as those of our other valuable guests. I am very glad that our culinary tour was to your great liking and that the service received was “incredible”. I certainly hope that we will have the honor in hosting you again in the future so you can experience firsthand the improvements that we have undertaken and that your next review will just be titled “Heavenly”. Thank you again Monica and kind greetings to you and everyone in Germantown, Maryland. Take care.

rgonzalezgvrm@velasresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (781)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 27 August 2014

All inclusive resorts are a dime a dozen in Yucatan. What isn't so common are all inclusive resorts who have delicious food, great service, lovely facilities, and a good atmosphere. More often than not, you'll be managing trade-offs - Nice place, mediocre food (this is the standard!). At the Grand Velas, they've really managed to check off all the boxes. Their restaurants are first class (seriously delicious, and lots of vegetarian/vegan flexibility!), their facility is clean, beautiful, and luxurious. The rooms range from very nice and comfortable to ridiculously huge and wonderful. Most of the rooms even have a small pool on the private patio, which is perfect for a quick dip or late night soak. Everything is included here, no wrist-bands or service levels or any gimmicks. Everyone gets top shelf liquor, everybody gets 24/7 room service.

In general the grounds are lovely - they've paid a lot of attention to design, plus it never feels like the place is full (unlike many other resorts that often feel slam packed). That lends to real relaxing. Add in the superb service, and you can't go wrong with this place. It's well worth it's slightly higher price point. Honestly, I didn't know what I'd been missing until I came here, and it's ruined me for other all inclusives!

Room Tip: Grand Clas rooms are for adults only (12 and up), while the Ambassador and Zen are for everyone. Onl...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank decomouse
Thank you very much for sharing your insights on the perception of all-inclusive resorts and for distinguishing Grand Velas as a provider of excellence in this field. As you mentioned: first class cuisine, luxurious suites, beautifully designed facilities and superb service all add up to a first class product. As our clientele market is that of the distinguished traveler we cannot afford to be mediocre in any of our aspects. As you say: our pricing is slightly above the rest, so we definitely have to deliver in order to justify our guests vacation investment and I certainly believe that in reading the great majority of the reviews and in personal conversations with our valued guests here on site that we have taken all inclusive vacationing to a higher level. I can continue on by listing the international awards that have been bestowed upon Grand Velas, but the real seal of approval is your kind comments and those of many of our other greatly satisfied guests.

I am glad that in your case we were able to open up your mind to what is a true luxury all-inclusive and raised the bar quite a bit on any future resorts that you may visit. In saying that, I hope that you can return to Grand Velas and pamper yourself again with an experience that has changed your perception forever. On behalf of all Grand Velas employees I thank you for your preference and recommendations and we send you our sincerest greetings all the way to beautiful Rome, Italy. Grazie.

Lansdale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This resort has it all! Our accommodations were in the Zen Section. While it is advertised as being "family friendly", it was just perfect for our honeymoon as well. The suites are spacious, immaculate, and very comfortable. The private Zen garden just outside our terrace was a perfect spot for morning coffee, and a relaxing glass of wine prior to heading out to dinner. Our concierge was very helpful in securing dinner reservations each evening and we were never disappointed with a meal. While they were all terrific, our favorites were Piaf and Frida. We spent most of our time on the beach and our beach attendants were very attentive. They were constantly on the run and no request was too much. The beach was gorgeous and we never got tired of the view. There was a very large group at the hotel during our stay and they took up the majority of spaces at the Ambassador pool, but the Zen pool was nice and quiet with plenty of pool chairs and attendants. We always chose to end our day there, as it was so relaxing. All in all it was a lovely experience and we definately plan on returning.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Zen and Grand Sections are much quieter. I would choose the Ambassador Section if we h...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 492lisan
Thank you Lisa for selecting Grand Velas for your honeymoon retreat. It really means a lot to us to be given the honor of hosting you and your husband on such a special occasion. I believe that our Zen ambience was just the perfect backdrop for you in which to relax and concentrate on one another and the love that you are sharing.

It is pleasing to know that our culinary tour was terrific and was able to complement the romantic feeling that was this occasion and that overall you considered your honeymoon at Grand Velas “a lovely experience”. Lisa, on behalf of the 1,300 employees of Grand Velas I congratulate you on your young matrimony and I would be most honored in having you return to celebrate many anniversaries to come. Take care and all the best for both of you in Lansdale, Pennsylvania.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

The Grand Velas delivered one of the most relaxing vacations our family has ever been on.
The resort was beautiful, food was excellente (amazing variety of restaurants), and views as advertised. To top it off, pool attendants Rodrigo & Santiago did an amazing job keeping our large family well refreshed. As one reviewer commented, it is hot in Mexico but so is every other place south of Colorado in the summer. Oh, by the way, the spa was unbelievably nice with every attention to detail. Got kids? We have five and the younger ones actually asked to go to the kids club after the 1st day. That has never happened before - even on a Disney cruise!

Overall, just the trip our family needed!

Con: the only negative is the Cancun airport is a bit of a zoo.

Room Tip: For kids, ground level facing the pool was super convenient!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Will H
Thank you very much Will for sharing your splendid happiness on “the most relaxing vacation that your family has ever been on”. We are proud to have met your goals and even more so to have eclipsed the expectations of your five little ones. We know the importance of keeping them well entertained and our staff is enthusiastic in welcoming the kids to the club. I am glad that Rodrigo and Santiago were there to serve your family very well during your time at the pool and I hope that when the time comes when you need relaxation again that you will think of us as your spot to enjoy, frolic and be pampered during another beautiful and tranquil vacation along with some more “unbelievably nice” spa treatments.

Thank you again Will for your motivating comments and from our family to yours we wish you all a grand summer this year. Take care.

Texas
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My husband and I were really looking forward to coming here. I was on the resort's website daily looking at pictures for months leading up to our date of travel. It's what got me through a dreary, cold winter. My expectations may have been too high although I've stayed at plenty of 5 stars so I don't think I was too far off. For starters, the grout in the shower in our bathroom had mold. It was the kind that easily wiped off when I ran a washcloth over it so I knew their housekeeping obviously wasn't doing a good job at cleaning. Our concierge was never available nor helpful. He brought us to our room when we first arrived. He told us to "wait here" during the walk over to it. He ran over to a group of people who were checking out. No joke we stood there waiting awkwardly for 10 minutes in the heat while he chatted and gave hugs to this group. He finally came back over to us but with no apologies. Restaurant service was good for the most part but very slow. As another reviewer mentioned, I don't think they use AC in the restaurants. It was dreadfully hot. My poor husband was in log pants and was sweating. I was in a strapless dress and sweating. The resort's bread and butter are corporate events and large families. Other reviews have mentioned that the resort does a poor job of making sure large events don't intrude on the other guests' vacation. It's so true. We vacationed while Edward Jones and several big families were there. Grand Velas fawned over those guests while others were left in the cold. As an example, the beach servers spent all their time with a large family. I had to grab an umbrella myself and set it up while the servers stood around watching. Also, we had to order a drink four separate times before they finally remembered to bring it to us. The resort also turned a blind eye to bad behavior from the large groups such as blasting music from a boom box at the Grand Class pool or drunks in the restaurants. The resort should be ashamed of the food they served for the lunch beach buffet. It was gross. We paid a lot to come here. We left very disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
19 Thank Brownie3433
DirectorGVRM, Propietario at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
As vice president of Velas Resorts it always saddens me to know that one of my guests had a less than satisfying experience. I do try to put myself in your position as I read your comments and I must say that I feel your disappointment in various aspects of your stay. And from my position, I can see where my operation fell short of its goal by failures in both service and equipment. In the areas of concierge, housekeeping and pool wait service I do have the ability to correct these matters in a very short time. The focus and priority of a service carried out professionally and proactively will be the topic of many meetings over the course of these next days. I do this because I do not tolerate lackadaisical work ethics or shortcuts in my operational processes. As I have responded to an earlier guest, the addition and upgrading of a/c units in our enclosed dining venues are now complete, as this summer has presented this region with a hotter than normal climate. Unfortunately these works were not a quick fix per se, but we have addressed the issue. I do sincerely apologize to you and your husband for those shortcomings and I cannot stress enough that the term “second class citizen” is not part of our professional mindset when hosting any guest in my hotels. The service issues will be addressed in short time so that no guest will ever feel the perception of indifference in Grand Velas and that each and every valued client is just as important as their neighbor in the next suite. In terms of group functions, we really have come a long way since January in making them and their events less obtrusive and in reading recent comments I believe that we are on the right path for a healthy balance. I truly thank you for bringing your observations and feelings to my attention as corrective measures are taking place and it will continue to be my onus that Grand Velas is distinguished as the best product and service available in an all inclusive resort. Again, my sincerest apologies to you and your husband, truly valued guests of Grand Velas.

ING. JUAN VELA RUIZ
VICEPRESIDENT
VELAS RESORTS
jvelavr@velasresorts.com
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

A picture perfect beach coupled with a stunning resort, then throw in a heap full of warm Mexican hospitality = Grand Velas Riviera Maya. This place is like no other all inclusive I've heard or been to. Lovely accommodation and fabulous food, from the breakfast in the morning to all the fine dining options, we were enchanted by the culinary delights this resort had to offer. Rooms were all clean and spacious, We had an Ambassador Suite with a plunge pool on the balcony. Although we didn't like the first room they put us in on the ground floor, (sea view wasn't good) they happily changed us to the 3rd floor promptly, where we had a gorgeous view of the Caribbean Sea.
Our concierge Carolina looked after us very well, she would always make sure that we had everything we wanted for our day, and ask every morning if we were ok, if we need anything she was straight on it, she made sure everything went smoothly, as well as making all our evening dinner reservations, she dealt with us with warmth and kindness, such a lovely girl, we will miss her!! The dining experiences we had in all the restaurants were wonderful. We managed to dine in Piaf, Sen Lin, Lucca, Bistro & Frida, all offered an amazing menu. Breakfast and lunch at Azul was great, so much to choose from. The ambassador pool area is usually busy but comfortable, with pool activities at scheduled times and a lovely pool bar, Grand class which is for adults only has a more a quiet pool, we didn't manage to go to the Zen area's pool. All the pool attendants were super friendly. One down side is that the pool beds need to be more available as some people were saving beds by the pool early in the morning and wouldn't turn up until after 1pm..... not fair on other guests wanting to relax by the pool side! The beach area is less busy always beds available and had a very nice BBQ/buffet set up at lunch time. Kayaking and beach games etc....available daily were good.
Special Thank You to our concierge Carolina! Thanks also Juanita at Azul, Eric at the beach, Santiago at the ambassador pool......and to all the staff at GVRM for a pleasant memorable stay.
We're all feeling great and well rested.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank HappyChick7302
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you so much for making Grand Velas your option as your summer holiday destination this year. I am greatly pleased that we could provide the right ingredients in making this trip the “perfect family time” and that our culinary tour was to your great delight. It is especially helpful to our guests to have 75 concierges just like Carolina at your service to take care of your dining requirements and all other personal needs for the duration of your stay. To be able to enjoy dining in all of our culinary venues certainly makes for a complete all inclusive experience. An experience that you mention as being wonderful and enchanting. In terms of the reservation of pool and beach furniture we do our utmost to mitigate any disappointments in this area as we have more than enough loungers for all of our guests, but our pool and beach staff such as Juanita, Erik and Santiago are there to assist you with their expertise and magic at making things right and pleasant for everybody. It flatters us when you say: “this place is like no other all-inclusive that I´ve heard of, or been to” and I am truly glad that we have raised the bar quite a bit on your future holiday expectations.

Thank you again for your joyous praises and preference in our resort. From our Grand Velas family to yours we wish our new friends all the best this year in fascinating London, England. Take care.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 August 2014

When I booked our family vacation initially I stayed clear of all-inclusives because I thought the food was sub par, the drinks were watered down and the service was non existent. Well for those who felt the same as I please let me assure you that I was totally wrong. My wife and I have been to Mexico for over 10 years now and have been to some of the best resorts such as Las Ventanas, One & Only, Capella Pedregal to name a few and even though Velas didn't hit on all marks they gave all the resorts named a run for their money. First off the food was excellent except by pool side - I suggest you skip it and if you want lunch go the Bistro or Azul, the food and especially the drinks are excellent. Oh by the way book your RESERVATIONS BEFORE YOU DEPART FOR YOUR VACATION FOR DINNER, please thrust me if not you will be out of luck for the ones you want to go to. The rooms were spacious and comfortable even to roll away beds for the kids, the mini bar was filled every day( my kids loved it ). But most of all the service was excellent except for the first two days by the pool once we moved to Jose's location we were well taken care. By the way I read several reviews about tipping regardless what your opinion is these people work their butts off because the salary they receive from the resort is laughable ( look up Mexico's minimum wage ) I do not hesitate for a moment to tip these hard working men and women because they made the stay at Velas special. So in terms of value and service its to beat this resort and rest assured that this all-inclusive is special.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank fionakeira
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Fiona, thank you very much for your kind words and for also taking a chance on us as your first all inclusive. I am proud to have been able to demonstrate to you and your family that we are not the stereotypical all inclusive. We have brought our product to amazing heights in terms of facilities, service and of course cuisine. I am also glad that you consider us as being “special” and that you found that it will be hard for the competition to beat us. As a team, our goal is to be the best at what we do and the best at what we provide to our valued guests. I hope Fiona that in the future you will consider us again for your luxurious and stress free vacation when deciding where to go in Mexico. In the meantime have a great summer in incredible New York and just to let you know, Jose sends you his greetings. Take care.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#23 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#33 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!