“A must visit once in your lifetime”

Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Ranked #3 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Top quality from the minute your enter this beautiful resort! Amazing rooms , a pool to die for ! Staff were beautiful, so helpful! The spa was amazing! Food & drinks were first rate! I will be taking my husband next time! On my trip with my three best girlfriends ( we celebrated our fifty birthday with this trip!) we were spoilt rotten! Very safe , just the best experience every! Can't wait to return!!! I would & have recommended this resort to anyone that would listen!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Leanne C
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Thank you very much Leanne for your animated comments on your girls trip this past May. The four of you really seemed to have enjoyed each and every aspect of your vacation celebration and we as a team are certainly pleased that we were able to make you feel “spoiled rotten”. That is just one of the nice feelings that we wish to generate amongst our valued guests while residing in our resort. Having your needs and wants taken care of in a professional and personable manner and many times even without having to ask is really what is considered pampering. I am very pleased that the success of this vacation has prompted you to bring your husband on your next visit in order to demonstrate to him exactly what created that pleasant excitement that you arrived home with. Leanne, thank you again for sharing your happiness and for your ample recommendation of Grand Velas. Congratulations on your 50th as we send our finest wishes to you in Wantirna South, Victoria, Australia. All the best!

Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

We stayed at The Grand Velas for a 11 day perfect holiday. The first four days we had a room in "Zen" and for the remainder of our trip we stayed in "Grand Class". We chose to break the holiday up like this to experience the peace of "Zen" and then transfer to be on the seafront. Both rooms were fantastic. The hotel staff made the transfer effortless. The food was fabulous, staff so attentive at all times. The beach staff in particular would get our sun beds ready in the position they knew we liked them to be and once we had settled down they arrived with our favourite drinks. It was all first class. So much so we are going back next year and doing exactly the same with the rooms.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Melanie4474

Melanie, what a great idea that you came up with in order to feel and enjoy the different ambiences that Grand Velas has to offer. I am sure that in making plans like that, you studied a great amount in order to get the most out of your holiday. The natural and peaceful experience that you lived in the Zen, later to be complemented with an ocean front experience rounded out very well your entire trip. I am pleased that you felt that the service throughout your stay was fabulous and attentive at all times. That consistency is what we strive for when serving and pampering our valued guests. Melanie, I am very happy that we could set such a marvelous impression on you and you can be assured that your next year´s holiday with us will just be as “first class” or better now that you know us in person. Thank you very much for allowing us to be your gracious hosts and in the meantime we wish you and yours a terrific year in London, England. Cheers!

Reviewed 30 August 2014

For a second consecutive year, we vacationed at the GRAND VELAS RESORT. My wife, my granddaughter and I stayed in the "Grand Class " section of the resort during the second week of July versus our mid August stay of last year. I'm pleased to say we once again enjoyed a pleasant relaxing stay. The physical facility was well maintained, clean and on par with last year.
The food and dining experiences were excellent and were enhanced by the restaurant staff once they found out that we were returning vacationers. The captain of the wait staff was Senora Gabriela Flores who constantly circulated amongst all the diners , stopping at each table and making her presence known. No matter what restaurant we were in, she would stop to chat with us when she saw us , always wanting to know if there was anything else she or the waiters could do to make our dining experience more memorable. When we dined at Arturos restaurant, we were waited on by Andres but we were recognized by a wonderful waiter named Aparacicio who had served us last year. At the conclusion of our meal, Apararicio , along with Andreas, Senora Flores and several of the wait staff presented us with an elaborate desert tray that included sparklers, small wisps of smoke rising from dry ice and an assortment of mini desserts to knock your socks off. Quite a sight. The staff thanked us for coming back to vacation with them. Our granddaughter loved the fuss they made over her throughout the entire meal here as well as at the other restaurants where once again, Senora Flores would make her presence known to us in an extremely positive way. The next best restaurant for us was Sen Lin where Luis waited on us. Great waiter. Constant attention and very enthusiastic about giving everyone a great dining experience. The restaurant Azul, by the pool, was the only restaurant where we had a so-so experience.

A pleasant addition this year was the free Wi-Fi. Last year there was a modest charge. We used it continually and had no issues. One negative change from last year that I would note is that last year the hotel would pay your fare one way into town. Since the round-trip fare is $50.00 plus tip, the $25.00 one way token was a nice gesture. Since we spent a lot of money downtown on lunch, drinks and gifts, perhaps the hotel could encourage the downtown business community to reinstate the taxi reimbursement or run an occasional shuttle to all the nearby resorts.

Weather was perfect. Great for the pool where once again we were waited on hand and foot by the pool attendants. Most notable were Santiago and Rodrigo who took great care of us. Even when they were unusually busy with a large number of people around the pool area, they made sure to send over the newer pool attendants, Rafael, Ivan and Rigoberto. Couldn't have asked for better treatment from the pool staff and it was this way each and every day. We also have to mention the lifeguards Victor and Roman who lent us a hand whenever we had small issues with the kayak equipment or snorkeling. Guest safety and satisfaction seemed to be their constant concerns.

The trip wouldn't be complete without mentioning the concierge staff. Like last year, no request was too small for the staff to address and try to comply with. Our Concierge was Senorita Ana Resendiz. If she wasn't available, Sandra, Yacelyn, or Yasmine or Lourdes along with the two young ladies both named Gabriela took pretty good care of us.

Our sincere thanks to all for giving us another wonderful vacation.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank callfc

Thank you kindly for sharing your appreciation of those Grand Velas employees that contributed in their own special way to the success of your now second vacation with us. Many I know personally and I will make sure that they are specifically recognized on your behalf for their sensational efforts toward another successful family holiday. And a special recognition will made for Gabriela “Gaby” Flores for her tremendous commitment to the happiness and well-being of our valuable guests. Gaby is actually a concierge in our Grand Class ambience who has only eight months with the resort, but so far has demonstrated her service talents and dedication for the comfort of the guests by visiting them throughout different areas of the property including our culinary venues. It is this type of pro activeness that assures that our standards are fully met. I am glad that you appreciate one of the changes that we made since your last visit which was introducing free basic wifi in all areas for our guests. We of course listened to the overall needs of our clients and we felt loyally compelled to comply. However, we felt that as a cost balance we had to halt the payment of taxis for the few guests who ventured into Playa del Carmen and in exchange we instituted the free basic wifi for the benefit and enjoyment of all. Again sir, I greatly appreciate your fine comments and your on-going loyalty to Grand Velas and on behalf of Gaby, Aparicio and all of the dedicated staff we wish you and your family the best and may your subsequent vacations with us be even more splendid than the last. Take care and kind greetings to all in Philadelphia, PA.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

If you want to be pampered all day and the quality of the food and drinks is important to you this is the place to go. One of the biggest problems I have had in the past with all inclusive resorts is that the food is pretty much bar food (burgers, wings, ribs, pizza, steaks) and the drinks are made from commercial boxed juice or mixed with tons of sugar and cheap alcohol. In Grand Velas pool menu they don't even have chicken wings (don't worry they will make it for you if you ask) they have these great lamb or shrimp kabobs, great ceviches and the cocktails are made with fresh ingredients, my wife had cucumber martinis made with good quality vodka, I stay with straight tequila and they had both reposado and añejo. At Grand Velas you will find not only high quality international food but also great authentic mexican dishes specially from the Yucatan area (I had tongue tacos, oxtail tacos, huaraches pastor, etc.), and if it is not on the menu they will make it for you. I have to thank chef Aldo Castro who made Queso Relleno (Stuffed Cheese) for me with a cheese made in Yucatan and not Edam cheese which is the version you will find in some restaurants in the area because Edam is easier to find. Then you have the restaurants where you have to make reservations, I recommend making them online before you arrive, they can improve the online reservation system because is a little awkward to use. Some restaurants are for families and some for adults only. When we had to go to the adults only restaurant we ordered room service for the kids and I have to say this is one of the best food from room service we had, great variety of dishes, it did not take too long to get to the room and they tasted freshly made. From there we dropped the kids at the kids club where there are amazing girls taking care of the kids, with movies, video games, board games, etc. The kids and teen clubs are close to most of the restaurants. You can pick them up or they can take them to the restaurant or to you room. We usually don't like to be separated from the kids but in Grand Velas we felt we can trust them to take good care of them. They have many activities for them during the day (some are only during summer time). The service of everybody is top notch, from the moment you arrive at the lobby, the guys on the pool and beach, the ladies that made the room and specially the concierge (many thanks to Jesus). They pay attention to every little detail and try their best to get everything you ask. Well, the hotel has many excellent amenities but I also have to mentioned the good, the bad and the ugly. The beach is not the best you will find in riviera maya, it is very shallow with no waves because there is a man made barrier that doesn't allow the waves to come in and because of that you will also find some algae spots in their beach, they do keep the sand flat and very clean and it is very nice to walk on the sand. Anyway it is still very relaxing to be on the sand under the sun with a great quality drink and food.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank foodfirst101
DirectorGVRM, General Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2014

Thank you very much for bringing to light the high standard of quality and variety that we provide in our culinary tour. And I appreciate also that you described the glowing distinctions between us and the competition. You were able to witness personally our attention to detail with your encounters with Chef Aldo. As we like to say: if it is within our reach, consider it done. It is nice to read your kudos on our room service quality and the Kids Club. You were able to connect both of these normally separate functions, for when the need presents itself for mom and dad to enjoy a gourmet dinner together; either of these options will more than satisfy the dinner and entertainment needs of the little ones. And in speaking of dining options, I will have a look at our on-line dining reservation system along in my IT support in order to look for areas that we can make a little more user friendly. I am glad that you pointed out our”top notch” service. This is an area that I am very proud of because we have a team of 1,300 dedicated employees that is on the very same page when it comes to guest satisfaction and attention to detail. There is a lot of inter departmental communications regarding you and all of our guests and we realize that the flow and handling of each detail is paramount to the success of our guest´s vacation and we certainly have been very good at that. So now that you know the Grand Velas product it may be difficult to return to your resorts of the past. I hope that we can host you and your family again in the future and provide you the quality vacation that you deserve. Thank you for your warm comments and I wish all of you an excellent fall season up in NJ. Take care.

Reviewed 29 August 2014

This was the most wonderful Hotel we have ever been to. The quality in every single detail makes your experience out of this world!
We were really happy and greatly surprised with the service of the people who work there, the quality of the food is AMAZING!!! From breakfast to dinner, they have gorgeous restaurants with high quality gourmet food. Great chefs and a outstanding staff are just waiting for you to serve you. Not less important, I have to say, the rooms are beautiful, super clean and its decor is awesome, very modern and trendy.
Everything here makes you feel like you are the queen of this world. We had a great time and a super relaxing, lovely Vacation.

Room Tip: Every room has it own charm... they are all very nice!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank arianna m
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Arianna, it pleases me immensely to know that we were able to take your vacation experience to a higher level and make you feel like a queen. It is our goal to generate feelings of being special because really our guests are very special to each and every one of us. Your kind descriptions of the staff that you encountered, the amazing cuisine and the “awesome” suites make us feel that we provided you with an excellent level of service and product.

I wish that you and your family can return in the future in order to experience another “best vacation ever”. And I thank you for selecting us and for taking the time in sharing your delight with everybody on TripAdvisor. We send you our warm greetings all the way to Stewartsville, NJ. Take care.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We are staying at the Rosewood hotel and due to my food allergies (i have over 30) are limited to restaurants in which can serve me in the area. We asked our concierge to recommend to us the best Mexican food in a hotel and they told us about Fridas in the Grand Velas. We were expecting a casual Mexican restaurant with Tacos, Chips and Guacamole but we were not expecting the meal we had.

Frida's is an upscale Mexican Gastronomy. It is fine dining Mexican at it's best (I didn't know there was gourmet Mexican food until yesterday). It has all the Mexican flavor that you would want with the most beautiful plating and interesting combination of ingredients. It really was one of the best meals we have ever had. From the second we walked through the door, the staff was so friendly and attentive, from the welcome margarita bar at our table, to our water glasses never being empty, and the timing of our 7 COURSE MEAL was perfect thanks to Arturo our waiter and the other great staff members.

The quality of the food and the ingredients were incredible, we didnt left a bite of food on our plates and we are usually picky. We were shocked that this was the caliber of food served in an all inclusive hotel (be it a gorgeous 5 diamond resort). Victor Rascon the manager was so outstanding with us, he came over to ensure me that he would take care of my allergies and that could eat anything on the menu and the chef would just tailor it to my dietary needs. It was great to know I was in such capable hands.

Chef Ricardo De La Vega is a genius. He came out to our table at the end to introduce himself to us. Not only is he talented but extremely nice. When a chef makes the effort he did to cook a meal like that with my dietary restrictions, i am so appreciative as he made me feel like i had no restrictions at all.

The whole dining experience is one my husband and i will remember for our entire lives. It felt like a culinary experience in France. We highly recommend everyone to come in at Frida's in the Grand Velas even if staying elsewhere in Playa del Carmen!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lauren T

Lauren, I thank you so kindly for your very warm comments on your recent dining experience with us in our venue Frida. As a team it pleases all of us to know that we could eclipse your expectations in such a way that you would actually write your review while residing in another resort. Basically Lauren, what you just enjoyed is very indicative of our guest’s pleasant experiences in all eight of our culinary venues.

From the décor to the service to the actual cuisine we leave out no detail, including the detail of dietary restrictions. It is custom for us to know ahead of time any special requirements that must be taken into consideration for the true dining pleasure of our guests. My restaurant manager took it upon himself to inquire as to your needs as he had not had the pleasure in knowing about you beforehand and that is very standard in our restaurants. As you kindly noted our chefs are just as concerned for the happiness of their guests, not only inside the kitchen, but at the tables as well. I hope that you and your husband may find it in yourselves to actually vacation with us in the future in order to feel and enjoy the total Grand Velas culinary experience as well as the professional pampering that we pride ourselves on.

But in the meantime we wish you a very pleasurable stay in Playa del Carmen and we await you at your service in anything that we may provide for you. Thank you again and we wish you an excellent culinary future ahead. Take care.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

After researching the resort for about six months, and reading the reviews and perusing their website almost daily up until our travel date, I must say that we were anxious to arrive. Like all, we thought the resort was beautiful. We arrived to an "open air" resort which I wasn't exactly expecting! We stayed in the zen section. The staff were attentive and quickly welcomed and attended to us. Allergy sufferers and asthmatics BEWARE!! As we got closer to our room, I could smell the mold and mildew which was much worst in the room! So much so that it was in our clothes and I had to take meds the entire vacation and could barely breathe ( I would suggest to the hotel use dehumidifiers). But if you don't have allergy or breathing problems the zen section is tranquil, quiet, relaxing and beautiful. Wifi was free but slow. The shuttle ride was not a problem and ran constantly. We felt like we were the only ones at the resort being in the zen section! The staff were incredible everywhere and the spa is first class, amazing and not to be missed. I would suggest that you make dinner arrangements prior to arrival if you want specific restaurants and times or you may not get what you want. Cocina is their best and we also thoroughly enjoyed Frida and Sen Lin. Be prepared the public spaces are very warm as we were sweating each night at dinner even with very light clothing on but the spaces are well designed, decorated and breathe taking. The ambassador pool was amazing the zen pool and service is a must do and experience also! We found the beach beautiful but a little too rocky. Overall, beautiful resort and first class staff and I would highly recommend the resort!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank READYTOGO82010

Thank you Monica for having taken the time to investigate your true preference for your vacation site and also for selecting Grand Velas based on that vigorous research. In writing your review after your return home and feeling that you would highly recommend us to others, it makes us feel honored to have impressed you so much. I do understand the need to make every guest´s stay with us a truly unforgettable one and that includes the conditions of your suite and the area that surrounds it.

We are in the midst of a renovation to our Zen ambience and much of the focus to that remodelation is to eliminate the stuffiness that can be found in our area of the jungle. We are adapting the air conditioning units of our Zen suites with a system of filters to eliminate any slight musty odor that may come from outside as well as having the front doors sealed tighter to keep the cool, fresh air inside the accommodations. We are 50% advanced on these works and we expect to have the entire Zen ambient refitted and remodeled by mid September. The investment is the same for newer air conditioning units in our enclosed restaurants.

We also felt the need to address that issue and that has been rectified to a great degree. I feel that as you invested much time in us Monica, that we must reciprocate and address your needs and concerns, as well as those of our other valuable guests. I am very glad that our culinary tour was to your great liking and that the service received was “incredible”. I certainly hope that we will have the honor in hosting you again in the future so you can experience firsthand the improvements that we have undertaken and that your next review will just be titled “Heavenly”. Thank you again Monica and kind greetings to you and everyone in Germantown, Maryland. Take care.