“Nice Resort”

Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Ranked #3 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 29 July 2010

We stayed July 21-28th and the resort is very nice. A storm arrived on the 25th and unfortunately damaged the restaurant Azul by the pool and shut it down for repairs. Apparently there is a strange flu like virus going around. On day 3 wife came down with flu like virus and I came down with bacterial ear infections. Resort and employees are fabulous and do what they can to make your trip very nice. We had to call in a doctor who came onsite, noticed the doctor was at the resort the next day for others.

1  Thank RockwallBoy

Reviewed 26 July 2010

My parents, frequent travelers and posters on this site, brought me, me three children, me sister, and her husband for a week long family adventure. We were struck by so many things, from the spacious suites to the lilly pads blooming outside them, but the sheer number of humans dedicated to perfecting our experience is the most remarkable. If there is one image that sticks with me it is the older gentleman stationed on one of the boardwalks constantly hand polishing the tree rinks that serve as pillars to suspend the thatched roof. To be fair he also hand-polishes the tree-branch hand rails and buffs the smooth hewn floor boards. I have to assume that as these structure wind in places through the jungle canopy they would soon be covered in spider webs and stray leaves were they deprived of his attention. His younger colleagues take on the tasks of grooming the lilly ponds and netting unsightly leaves from the cenote so we can better appreciate their natural beauty.

I was perhaps most surprised when I strapped on my running shoes to take a jog on foot around the property, hoping to see some or the wildlife that flees from the ubiquitous passenger vans that shuttle us back and forth. As I stretched and set my GPS watch by the spa entrance a concierge stopped me and confirmed my intent to run. "You must await your escort," he said. Really? Seriously? Oh, yeah. "For your safety, sir." And so it was I ran my 5K through the property five to ten yards ahead of a pleasant young man on an ATV who handed me a water bottle and a towel when I looked on the verge of heat stroke. He even radioed ahead to the Ambassador bell station so that a bellman stepped forward with water as I rounded the driveway. It was like being the front runner at a marathon, but just me. The driver even fell back so I could try to run up on a family of coati mundi crossing the path.

As a single dad I'm finding the Kids' Club critical to my mental health Nd my Children's continued survival. The staff there is tremendously attentive, functioing in two languages to provide children up to youn teens with an array of crafts, movies, video games, and live shows that appeal to all. My three children, ages five, eight, and ten, are no quite up to our two-to-three hour multiple-course meals in the hushed international dining rooms. They much prefer to order room service and retire to the Kids' Club for the duration.

Were I to nit-pick I would have to do so with the eye of a chronic ingrate. The wireless phones in the room seem not to work. The food quality in some o the restaurants has been spotty, worse when the facilities were stressed last night by the arrival of a convention of computer manufacturers. But really I could not in good faith ask for a more holistically amazing experience, one which repeatedly leaves my children breathless with awe. From the endless breakfast buffet to the iguana-like lizards that take off running on their hind legs, the kids have found amazement everywhere they turn. Cookies and milk appear in the room each night, a newspaper hangs from the door each morning, and Manuel at breakfast brings three chocolate milks as soona s we sit down. We can only hope to be lucky enough to return next year.

4  Thank davhill1
GVRM, Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2010

Reviewed 21 July 2010

We recently spent 7 days at the Grand Velas and we were absolutely blown away with the experience. This was a special occasion family trip with our 3 kids, ages 14, 18 and 26, so we were hoping for the best vacation and the Grand Velas delivered. I will try to summarize as much as possible about the resort:

Buildings: There are 2 buildings, the Master Section and the Ambassador. The Master building is further from the beach but has its own special vibe and other advantages. The Ambassador is on the ocean and has a little more in terms of restaurants, the Grand Class section and the Piano and Karaoke bar. Master Section is a little less expensive and a great option. It is very easy to go between the buildings in air conditioned shuttle busses. We never had to wait for one. We stayed in the Ambassador building and booked 2 adjoining suites.

Suites: These are big suites, about 1200 square feet, with a huge balcony overlooking the pool and ocean. The bathroom has a whirlpool bath, separate toilet room and big walk in shower. The balcony is very large with an outdoor bed and small table with 2 chairs. The mini fridge is well stocked and there is a large selection of snacks. The room has Wifi and Ethernet, which is a little faster and reliable. There is a large wall mounted plasma TV with optional pay per view movies. There are not many English speaking channels but there are some. The maid service and turn down service in the room was exceptional. We did find it unusual that the room did not have a clock. The room door is huge, by far the biggest we have ever seen. Overall the suite was roomy and nicely decorated.

Pool: We spent almost all of our daylight hours at the Ambassador main pool. There is also an adult pool very close to the main pool with its own bar. The main pool had a nice size swim up bar. This is a very laid back atmosphere, do not expect a lot of organized activities. That is exactly what we wanted. The pool has comfortable, well padded loungers and tons of shaded areas and umbrellas. You don't need to worry about towels; they are on the lounger when you arrive.

Pool Service/Concierge: For us, the pool service really set apart the Grand Velas from other luxury resorts where we have stayed. In particular, the Pool Concierge staff were amazing. When you arrived at the pool, the concierge would set up your umbrellas, lay out your towels, move chairs around to accommodate your needs and than bring you a large bucket of bottled water on ice. They would continuously take away the bucket and replenish the ice and water. During the afternoons they would bring out ice cold face cloths and provide you with Evian spritzers. There was never a wait for anything as there is an abundance of very professional staff. The staff was very well managed and organized and they used head sets and microphones to communicate. Emmanuel and Marco were our favorites as well as a trainee named Anna. The pool side drinks keep coming and you need to order lunch poolside at least once. The food and presentation they served at your lounger were as good as the restaurants.

Beach: The first thing you notice about the beach is how soft the sand is, almost like talcum powder. They rake this up with a tractor each morning and use smaller machines throughout the day. The beach is relatively private, surrounded on both sides by mangroves. The closest resorts are probably 800 yards or more in both directions. They have erected man made barrier reefs off the shore line which helps keep the water nice and calm and gives it a much more blue/green appearance than its neighbors. There is not a lot of busy traffic from nearby resorts or from merchants. The beach is long and wide with plenty of loungers, umbrellas, and cabanas. The beach side service of drinks and food is just as efficient as the main pool. There is an area where you can take out kayaks or take paid excursions. Our kids rented wave runners one day and we went out on a snorkeling trip on a Catamaran.

Butler/Concierge: There was a Butler/Concierge assigned to our room. We were fortunate to have Ana, and she was at a different level than we have ever experienced. She helped us get set up with our room, help with our restaurant reservations and basically handle everything. She was so responsive and seemed to be everywhere. One morning I mentioned to her that I wanted to speak with her later in the day (about changing a dinner time). About an hour later we were at the furthest end of the resort on the beach when we heard her calling my name. Somehow she had found us so I thought it was an emergency. She was trying to find me because she was concerned that I was unhappy about something when I said I wanted to talk to her earlier. My kids started to affectionately refer to Ana as "Dads stalker". Unlike other Butlers and Concierges we have had in the past that were reactive, Ana was the first proactive Concierge we experienced. It was clear that our happiness and satisfaction was her only priority.

Food: There is a wide variety of food choices but they all share the same strengths of food quality, presentation and service. The following is a breakdown:

Breakfast: You have a choice of the buffet at Azul (Ambassador) or Chaka (Master) as well as a menu only option at Bistro. The buffets offer a ton of options including fresh, juices, fruit, omelet’s, and American and Mexican selections. We preferred Azul over Bistro since it was much quicker. You can also order breakfast from room service and it is very good and, most importantly, very quick. The wait staff was excellent.

Lunch: Similar options as breakfast, both Azul and Chaka, room service and pool side service. (our favorite). If you like ceviche, you will love both buffets. There were different kinds of ceviche each day, shrimp, octopus and even snail. Like breakfast, the wait staff was excellent.

Dinner: We ate at each restaurant in both buildings. Here are our thoughts on each:

Bistro (Ambassador): Outstanding food presentation, wait staff and food quality. Nice menu with both fancy and simple items. Menu is an international selection of choices.

Frida: (Ambassador): Beautiful interior and view along with live Music. They serve primarily Mexican inspired dishes. The steak was amazing. We all enjoyed it.

Piaf (Ambassador): This is their French restaurant and their decor and atmosphere is very fancy. Food presentation and wait staff was outstanding. Filet was outstanding as was the venison.

Lucca (Master): This is Chaka during the day and Lucca, their Italian, at night. It is very underrated and one of our favorites. We loved the flavored olive oils they offer and the food was terrific. The fettuccini alfredo was one of the best we have ever had. The wait staff at this restaurant was exceptional.

Sen Lin: (Master): Stunning interior, outstanding service and eclectic menu. I would highly recommend the tasting menu or Peking Duck.

Cocina De Autor (Ambassador): This was the only restaurant that we did not care for. The interior and wait staff was a little cool and indifferent, bordering on pretentious. They serve "fusion inspired" food which is always a risk that it can be either genius or just weird. We did not care for it.

Gyms: After eating so much all day, fitness comes to mind. Both buildings have beautiful facilities with a large number of treadmills, free weights and machines. The gym in the Master building is much larger. Both offer different fitness classes in the morning and evening including yoga and Pilates.

Gift shop: Located in both buildings but the one in the Master building is bigger with a much larger selection. They are expensive, especially for suntan lotion so bring plenty from home.

Excursions: There is an office in both lobby’s and offer the standard package tours. Our kids went on an ATV tour one day. The staff is professional and friendly.

Transportation: Guest at the Grand Velas can get a private taxi into Playa Del Carmen that is arranged and paid for by the hotel. You need to arrange and pay for your own return but it is a nice perk. We went into PDC one night and it was easy to find a cab for the return, which cost us $16 and took about 10-15 minutes.

Spa: Yes, it is very expensive. My wife, daughter and son all spent time at the spa and loved the staff and facility. The price includes the tip, they will not accept extra, and includes an additional one hour "Water Journey" prior to the massage. They all thought it was outstanding.

Tips: They are not required but we always tip and the service here makes you want to.

This might have been the first resort we have been to in Mexico where the staff spoke English as well as the guests. The hotel attracts a lot of Mexican business owners and families and it was a pleasure to have them as our fellow guests.

We absolutely loved our experience and my wife and I plan on returning to the Grand Velas and hopefully staying in the Grand Class as soon as we can. It is very mellow with limited activities for children but if you are looking to just lie out all day in the sun, eat at great restaurants and be pampered, this is the place for you. I can not say enough about how much we enjoyed our trip and how impressed we are with the service and management of this resort.

If anyone is considering the Grand Velas, I would highly recommend you visit their web site. It is comprehensive and includes the restaurant menus, virtual tours, spa menu and any other information you could possibly want.

7  Thank bobbyct
GVRM, Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2010

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for sharing these wonderful comments about your stay with other travelers. We are very pleased to receive such a positive feedback. Comments as yours motivate us to constantly do our best not only to maintain the quality of the service we provide, but also to go beyond our guests’ expectations.
We will certainly share your review with our employees and especially Ana, Emmanuel and Marco.
Again, thanks for your comments and we hope to be able to host you again very soon.
The Management team

Reviewed 19 July 2010

What an awesome experience! Food, service, rooms, and spa all exceeded expectations. The kids club staff was excellent and our two boys (13, 11) enjoyed the activities and could play a video game or two if they tired of the sun.

Stayed in the Master suites section, was hesitant at first but it was like having two vacations in one.....go to the busy beach and Ambassador pool area in the morning and return to the serenity and calm of the jungle in the afternoon. It was the ultimate place to relax by the pool with a good book and drink. On many days we had the Master suites pool to ourselves, very nice!

Our next all-inclusive vacation will definately be to a Velas Resort....I can't imagine a better trip.

1  Thank panther_fan_034

Dear Guest,
Thank you for having chosen our resort for your recent vacation. We are pleased to learn that your stay at Grand Velas met your expectations and hope to be able to host you many more times in the future.

Reviewed 14 July 2010

We just got home from a week away at this resort, and I have to say this was the best resort I have ever stayed at. All the great reviews were correct. Not one detail was left out. The staff was very attentive, the facility was beautiful, and the food.... outstanding. Totally blew the diet, but I don't care. Our butler/concierge was always there to take care of us, and everyone at the hotel was constantly checking to see what we needed. I'm sure this was due in part to the fact that the resort was not at all crowded; at busier times, I'm sure there isn't as much personal attention, but that is understandable. The spa was a little piece of heaven. Do not miss this experience, best massage I've ever gotten, and the water journey was a nice touch, although I'm not sure if I totally understood the purpose, but it was a nice touch. Only thing I would add is a little nighttime entertainment. Once dinner is over, there's nothing to do except go to the bar, which is not an option when you have kids. The kids play area is fine for younger kids, but my 11 year old wouldn't go anywhere near it. So, it was early bedtime for all of us. Also, the only employees that were not so friendly were those in the gift shop. Don't know if they are just bored because there's nobody shopping there, which isn't surprising ($29 USD for a bottle of sunscreen!), or what, but I noticed a definite lack of interest on the help in both locations.

2  Thank Kathy W

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions and suggestions about our resort, it’s great to learn that you had such a wonderful time with us and we hope to be able to host you many more times in the future. Corrective measures have been already taken regarding the service in the gift shop.

Reviewed 12 July 2010

As stated by many others before me, the resort is absolutely gorgeous. We have been to many all inclusives and by far this is the best. Service is impeccable throughout. I was addressed by name the whole trip and everyone was eager to please. The spa is to die for and should be tried by everyone. We knew going there that it was a resort mainly to relax but we did see a lot of families and some type of nightly entertainment would have been wonderful. My active teenagers were bored at night and I must say my husband and I would have enjoyed something to do at night also. Unless you are going with a group that have other teenagers this resort might be best suited for adults looking to relax or families with younger children.
Alejandro in charge of activities tried his best to organize games like volleyball and soccer by the beach. They did set up some type of teen room with table games like foosball, air hockey and x box but not too many teens went there.
Service by the pool was outstanding, we always had something to eat mid afternoon and some of the waiters like Sergio and Henry made us feel special the whole week. Room service was great and it followed the same high standards as the restaurants. Our favorite restaurant was Bistro followed by Lucca and Frida. Tipping was not necessary but everyone tried so hard that we wanted to tip and did so gratefully. In talking to other guest many would have liked to have some nightly entertainment. Loved Grand Velas!!!

1  Thank totonito
GVRM, Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2010

Dear Guest,

We are glad to learn that we met your expectations and that you had such a great time in our Resort. We will certainly share your comments with our employees, especially Alejandro, Sergio and Henry. Our purpose is to provide the most wonderful relaxing experience, thanks to our personalized service and our variety and quality of the restaurants. For this reason, we are not a night life orientated hotel. For who especially enjoys night life, Playa del Carmen and its discos and bars are just 10 minutes away from the resort. Anyway, we will certainly consider your valuable suggestion and we look forward to give you again the good service you already know.

Reviewed 9 July 2010

This resort is located about 40 minutes south of the Cancun airport and about 10 minutes north of Playa del Carmen.

We have been searching for a resort that offered outstanding service at a similar level to that offered by the Ritz-Carlton Resort at Rose Hall (Jamiaca). We finally found one! The service offered by the complete and entire staff here at the Grand Velas was unbelievably outstanding - from your very own Butler Concierge (made dinner reservations and changes, found a shoulder bag to use for an outing, made confirmation phone calls with our shuttle and tour companies, etc.) to the poolside staff, to the restaurant staff (top of the line), to the Spa staff......shuttle drivers....everyone! We were greeted by name all the time. Even the room service and housekeeping staffs were excellent.

The resort has 3 "sections" - 2 on the beach and one "inland" (approx. 2 minute shuttle drive). We stayed at the "Master" location (inland, "jungle/forest" oriented rooms and pools). It was beautiful!! Each suite has its own "private" balcony area (ground floors have a "moat" and an optional plunge pool (extra pay)). The rooms are immaculate. The air conditioning in the suites works better/more consistent than any resort we've visited in Mexico or the Carribean.

The restaurants are completely outstanding! Except for one restaurant dinner experience, they were all kept at comfortable temperatures considering the long pants requirement for men. The servings are small (as is with most high quality food restaurants) but it allows you to order more than one appetizer and still get dessert too :).

The shuttle service on the resort is second to none. We took the shuttle almost every morning to the breakfast buffet, located at the beach, as well as to numerous dinner reservations, the sea-side pools (all infinity pools) and the beach. We were there for 9 nights - and never, once, did we wait more than 1-2 minutes for a shuttle. Most of the time they were "right around the corner" as we arrived at the pick-up locations (5 different spots on the resort).

If you're a fine food and wine lover, this would be "extra-expensive" if you decided to "pay as you go" rather than using the all-inclusive package.

The SPA - oh my gosh, the SPA. It IS expensive. At first, we weren't going to pay for massages as we normally do when visiting a resort but then we talked to another couple who had used the spa. After hearing about the 90-minute "water journey" PRIOR to the 80-minute massage therapy (and included in the higher-than-normal cost), we decided to try it.

IT WAS AWESOME! Three hours of splendid relaxation and pampering. It was worth every penny (ALL of them....).

We suggest that you stay at the Master section of the resort. It's a little less expensive, but it's quieter, the pools (all infinity pools) are not buffeted by the sometimes rough ocean winds, and it just seems a little more relaxed than the neighboring beach accommodations.

Fave restaurants? Frida (awesome lamb chops) and Piaf (amazing venison dish) - (Mexican and French, respectively)

Have a blast! We did.

What DIDN'T we like? Wow....ummm...these are minor, but something that we discussed....

1) if you're looking for "nightlife" ON the resort, there doesn't seem to be any, other than the great restaurants, a small piano bar (never actually heard one playing) and a Karaoke bar (except for the very first night, never actually saw someone performing Karaoke); last year, in Punta Cana, we had fireworks on the beach celebrating July 4th. This year? Not even a hint that it existed. Maybe it's because it's Mexico and not the Dominican Republic?

2) there is no daily "resort newsletter" describing the activities available for the day, nor did we actually SEE an activities "board", and was not even made aware of the availability of resort activities, until the very last morning we were there.

3) there is no PRINTED list of the wines that are inclusive with the meals; we don't like to choose our wines by the color (red or white) but prefer to look at labels and the kinds of wines that are available. This was made MORE difficult by not having a list from which to choose;

4) this is REALLY picky, but....for as great as the restaurant food is, the bread actually is not very good at all...with ONE exception - the awesome "stuffed" dinner rolls at Piaf that had Roquefort (bleu) cheese and walnuts baked inside the rolls;

That all being said? We'd go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank wlahr
GVRM, Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2010

Dear Guest,

We will certainly consider your valuable suggestions. Again, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to host you many more times in the near future.