“It is the best.”

Banyan Tree Mayakoba
Ranked #2 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 20 April 2011

This is our first trip to Banyan Tree and the Riviera Maya. Several employees made our visit and outstanding one. There were Manuel and Alejandro at the bar, Manuel, Francisco, Felipe at breakfast and the Sands. Ivan, Carlos and Emmanuel at the beach club. Their smiles were so warm and we immediately felt welcome.

A tip is to rent bikes to get to and from the beach. $5 a day. What a fun way to see the property, which was immaculate. Every single person we saw on our daily ride greeted us with smiles. Another tip is to get extra key cards to use for the a/c while you are out of your villa. Our unit did not cool down fast enough in the evenings without the key card in place all day. Pack your sunblock and the sun is intense! it is $26 a bottle at the gift shop. Change money to offer as tips and pay for smaller items.

Our villa was a garden villa. We did not have a hot tub or bigger casita. We did not need one! We used the pool daily. The temperature was perfect. The hammock was key for naps. Bottles of water, fresh fruit and delicious coffee were in our villa every single day. The bed and linens were top notch. The rain shower felt heavenly on my sunburned skin.

The Beach Club and Sands has the only lunch option outside of room service. I enjoyed every single dish I tried. Breakfast, which is included, was the biggest and best buffet. Even had sushi! And if you did not see something you wanted, they would find it for you. Saffron was our only choice for dinner. And it did not disappoint. We had the filet and pad thai, several appetizers and wine. We sat outside and watched huge fish swim by the dock. A very romantic setting.

We went off campus to the Fairmont and Grand Velas. Both hotels were beautiful. But not to the level of The Banyan Tree. We played El Cameleon Golf Course twice and saw crocodiles and tons of iguanas. We went to Playa Del Carmen twice by taxi. It is a $20 ride and so much fun. I felt very safe the entire time I was there. Whether I was at the Banyan Tree or if we were downtown.

Although we saw several children enjoying their vacation, I would not bring my little kids until they were old enough to enjoy the luxury of this hotel. The majority of the visitors paid a lot of money to enjoy the peace and serenity. I would not want to disturb their vacation.

And now to the spa. Heaven inside the Banyan Tree. We had a couples massage and enjoyed a scrub, a shower, and then the massage. It is a must do at this hotel. It will spoil every massage you have after your visit.

We were sad to leave. The week flew by and we were incredibly relaxed. I cannot wait to return. Thank you Banyan Tree staff for a remarkable vacation.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Coloradotmom
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2011

Dear Colorado,

We are all pleased, and honored with comments like yours. We really wish to thank you for your complimentary comments about our hotel facilities, and associates. Thank you for highlighting the professional service you received during your stay, and your comments are shared with all the staff

It is very gratifying for the Banyan Tree Mayakoba team to know that we could meet your expectations.

Thank you for choosing Banyan Tree Mayakoba and for taking the time to share your comments with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

Reviewed 18 April 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba for 5 days in March. We selected the hotel mainly because of all the good reviews in Tripadvisor, and it was really very , very good. When we arrived, the Villa wasn't ready yet, but they took us to the beachclub to have lunch and picked us up an hour later. We were upgraded to a Spa Villa, very beautiful and spacious. The garden is very secluded, the pool amazing. The first evening we had in room dining, it came within half an hour after ordering and was really nice. The people that work at the Banyan are very, very nice. They knew us by name after one day.
We didn't leave the property other than one meal at the Rosewood, just to check that out, and although that looks very nice at night, it seems to be much larger than the Banyan. A The Saffron is a good restaurant and especially their tasting meal is very good. Be aware that only breakfast is included (also one of the best we've ever had in a hotel!) and all the prices are New York standard and sometimes more. But it's absolutely one of the best hotels we've ever stayed at, and we've seen quite a lot...

Dear CT1230,

On behalf of the Banyan Tree Mayakoba, I wish to thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us.

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I appreciate your positive notes about the hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the villa, the pool, and other facilities.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with others, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 22 March 2011

The best hotel I will probably ever stay at.
The service is second to none.

The place is just amazing... It was my second stay, and I can not wait to go back.
The place is perfect if you prefer relaxation and tranquitlity, more so than adventure an excitement. My wife and I had a villa with a hot tub and private pool, and we pretty much stayed in most of the time, since the beach was windier and we had everything we needed in the villa.

The Rooms:
- Huge Villa, Cozy, Comfortable, Clean

Food:
- Breakfasts are excellent.
- For dinner feel free to try some other restaurants on the Mayakoba Grounds - We really liked our dinner at the Rosewood Mexican Restaurant.
- For dinner or an afternoon snack I ordered in-room service ceviche, which I just loved.

Overall:
I can't quite put my finger on it, but I stayed there last year, and somethings did not seem quite as nice as my initial visit, but that might just because I was in awe during my first visit. All in all, the Banayan Tree Mayakoba may be my most favorite place in the world.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2011

I don't want to spoil it fro you. You just have to go and see for yourself. All I can say that we enjoyed every second of our vacation at Banyan tree. Have tons of pictures and surely going to come back.
One advise: Take the boat tour around the Mayakoba canals...you won't regret it.

KR

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2011

We stayed at the Banyan Tree a While ago but I wanted to write a good review as I just became a member here at tripadvisor.com.

This property is great if you're looking for a romantic getaway that entails real privacy. We stayed in a two bedroom villa with another couple (relatives). The villa had two spacious and luxuriously appointed bedrooms and it also had a separate structure that served as a dining room where we could all order room service and hang out.

The rooms were well appointed with clock radios that had built in iPod chargers which was really great. A nice large closet with a safe. A beautiful large bathroom with a great shower and a private toilet stall. We even had an outdoor shower and tub which was very private and romantic. The suite also had its own private pool overlooking a small river which was really fantastic.

The hotel provides bicycles at a nominal charge per day. We loved being able to bike around the property whether it was to the dining hall for breakfast or to the spa for a massage or to the excellent fitness center they have. The pools were also nice but the beach was a real experience. They bring out FULL SIZE BEDS for you to relax on the beach watching the ocean. I could literally stay there all day long!

The staff was warm and personable and no request went unanswered. We actually keep kosher so there wasn't much we could eat but when the staff saw we weren't eating much they inquired if there was anything they could purchase for us to make things easier. The next day they had a full buffet of kosher yogurts and cereals and kosher milk. I was astounded! I could not believe they had gone to all that trouble just to please us. Truly legendary service.

We actually ran in to a famous celebrity who was staying at the hotel when we were there which I though was really cool.

Thank you Banyan Tree.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sif18
Reviewed 12 March 2011

In a nutshell - Location, grounds, common areas, pools and service were all outstanding. The villa/room was lacking only due to minor repair issues, outside areas in need of painting and fabric tears. Room layout (or rather TV placement required you to lay in bed to view TV or move furniture so that you could sit. I would expect this in a hotel room but not a villa. The private villa pool is simply unusable in March since the water is cold. The pool should be heated. Probably a good thing since the circulating pump is on a timer which allows for insects and debris to build up while not operating. The breakfast buffet is the best eats at the Banyan. We tried the 3 remaining restaurants and found the food to be average at best and seriously overpriced. As noted in the rating the hotel is a solid 3 to 4 Star. I would recommend with these deficits in mind.

1  Thank 60763Tgg
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2011

Dear 60763Tgg,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor about your experience regarding your recent visit to Banyan Tree Mayakoba, and also for the good comments about our service and hotel facilities.

Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve both our service and our product.

In regards to the villa, I would like to comment that we are maintaining the same on permanent works to ensure that a high standard in guaranteed for every guest.

Your comments regarding the food in our restaurants have been discussed with the Food and Beverage Director for his review.

We look forward to your return to Banyan Tree Mayakoba and to having the privilege of being of service to you again soon.

Reviewed 6 March 2011

This was our third visit to Banyan Tree-Mayakoba in the past two years (first visit was the week that they opened (March 2009), and the second was March 2010)).

Rooms: Awesome rooms...every year we've had the villa with a bedroom and separate pavilion. Each suite has a private pool and jacuzzi...and an outdoor bathtub (some have outdoor showers in addition to the indoor shower). Bathrooms are massive...lotsa space to explode your luggage.

Restaurants: We ate at Oriente every morning for breakfast (full buffet included in room rate), and typically went to Saffron, their signature Thai restaurant for the dinners where we ate out. Saffron's manager started out as a waiter at Banyan Tree-Phuket, so it was gratifying to see that the Banyan Tree corporation is promoting from within and offering opportunities abroad for their talented staff. Great Thai food, by the way.

Bellmen: Awesome. These folks are the backbone of the resort. They're empowered to cater to their guests' needs, and follow-thru with any and all requests.

Check-in/Check-out: A pain point for our visit. We had a $14US room service charge that we were overcharged and brought it to the check-out staff's attention the night prior to leaving. The follow-up that was committed was never completed. The next morning, when we went to settle our bill, the day staff at check-out weren't aware of the issue, nor did they seem to be empowered to make the decision to adjust our bill. This has been a consistent issue with each of our visits. It was a minor charge, but wasn't the best way to end our vacation.

Beach/pool staff: Excellent. The folks there recognized us from our previous visits, and were extremely attentive. We were able to leave our children at the kids' club one morning and they had a great time. One thing we did notice on this trip was that there was a bit more trash on the beach compared to last year.

Room Service: We had room service dinner for five of the seven nights we were there...par for the course if you've got young children. Room service dinners were as nice as eating at the restaurants, especially if you have dinner set up in the pavilions.

Follow-up: Resort hosts were there for the check-in, but when we contacted them about activities or special requests, the follow-thru didn't seem to be there...we had to call them back to get a response. Suggestion: In-room checkout...by the resort hosts. This may smooth out the check-out process issues that we've had.

One comment about the breakfast staff..actually more of a commentary about the other guests: Even though breakfast was included in the room rate, we tipped the staff $5-$10 each morning. This seemed to not be the norm, and mid-way thru our visit, we were noticing that the waitstaff were EXTRA attentive to our family. These folks were working very diligently to ensure that breakfast was running smoothly, plates were being cleared, etc. We got the impression that the other guests weren't tipping them at all.

Service was already very good in 2009, excellent in 2010, but we feel that it may have dropped a small notch this year.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Hoosier_Daddy95
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2011

Dear Hoosier,

Thank you for your valuable feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Banyan Tree Mayakoba. We appreciate the detailed report.

We appreciate your positive comments about the hotel, and have also taken note of your more critical feedback especially with regard to the service received from our Resort Host. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that you suffered. These matters have been discussed with the Rooms Division Director for his review, action and corrective measures have been put in place as required.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Best Regards,