Banyan Tree Mayakoba is a 5 star resort all the way. Service at this all-villa resort is top notch. Each villa has a swimming pool. The staff is very attentive. The grounds are huge and for those who enjoy walking or running, it's a great place to stretch your legs. There is a buggy service on request for those who don't like to walk. They arrive within minutes. Most of the villas are located in the jungle side of the resort along the Mayakoba river and golf course, which is about 1km from the beach. Beach access is a a few minutes by buggy, 10 minute jog, 15 minute walk, or 12 minutes via river boat.
When you're in the jungle villas, you have more of a jungle feel than a beach feel. We took a townhouse villa on the jungle side which has 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, a spacious living room, dining room and kitchenette and pool in the roofdeck. It felt like a mini apartment.
The beach is beautiful, white sands, turquoise waters. There is a beach club with a pool and restauarnt and the staff is extremely attentive passing out water and cold towels. There is a childrens play area with DVDs, games to play and activities. They have kayaks and paddle boards free to use on the beach with someone to assist if you need help. We were there in August and the sea was very choppy so hard for the kids or even adults to swim. We mostly stayed in the pool that overlooked the sea.
There is a golf course and tennis court in the Mayakoba complex and 2 other hotels (Rosewood and Fairmont). There was a shuttle service to the Rosewood and Fairmont for those who wanted to dine there. We ate at Rosewood for dinner one night. For lunch there is one restaurant option, Sands, the restaurant in the beach club. For dinner there are two options, Saffron, a Thai restaurant, which was pretty authentic and you can go with kids and Tamarin, a continental restaurant for adults only. The food at Tamarind was delicious. The only draw back was the limited choice for dinner for a family with kids staying for more than a few days. The breakfast at the Banyan Tree is amazing. They serve continental food as well as Mexican dishes and the freshest fruit from the area. They even make their own granola!
There is free WIFI in all the rooms and public areas of the resort. There is also a gym and a spa. All treatment rooms in the spa are in mini villas.
All in all it was a great experience. The only other thing is that since the villas were not on the beach, it was not a completely beach feeling vacation, you could not hear the waves or see the water. But it was a beautiful resort, very tranquil ambiance and had great service.
I suggest renting a car at Cancun airport to do activities outside the hotel such as visiting Tulum or the water parks in the area - Explor, Xcaret, Xel-Ha. It is easy to get around without GPS. There is one main road and the signage is good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba is a site of almost mythical beauty. It flawlessly blends elegance and nature, taking the Caribbean lifestyle to an unprecedented new height. A breathtaking getaway for relaxation, rejuvenation, romance and world-class dining, it is also the region's most sustainable five-star resort. With its revitalized culinary concepts, Thai-inspired therapies at the Banyan Tree Spa, 14 event-venues and the Greg Norman signature 18- hole El Camaleon golf course, home to the PGA Tour Mayakoba Classic, the resort raises the bar for premium leisure options and event planning. Perfect for private getaways, family trips and group events, the Banyan Tree Mayakoba offers 118 villas, ranging from romantic Bliss and Serenity Pool Villas to Family Residences and Ocean Front Villas. All include outdoor areas with private pools and terraces. Inspired by the interior courtyards of houses in the Far East, each villa is discreetly built to blend with the landscape, integrating the interiors and their idyllic surroundings. East meets West in every subtle detail, from the fragrance of flowers encircling your villa, to the softness of a kimono, fine linens and essential oils on your skin. Here, even world-weary guests discover the eloquence of tranquility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Destinology, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Holiday Gems, Ebookers, Odigeo, Travelbag, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Banyan Tree Mayakoba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen