“My favorite place in the world!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Banyan Tree Mayakoba
Ranked #3 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“My favorite place in the world!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2012

I cannot rave about this resort enough! The stunning villas with private pools and outdoor bathtubs, the perfect white sand beach, the friendliness of the staff, the incredible service, the lush landscaping, the architectural details, the over-the-top brunches.... Our hosts, Priscilla and Francisco, were both extraordinary, and took care of our every need. I have been to Banyan Tree 3 times and plan to return soon!

1 Thank 2014alice
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, 3 October 2012
Dear Viajero de BanyanTree.com

On behalf of Banyan Tree Mayakoba, I would like to thank you for visiting us again. Your nice notes have been shared with our staff, thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back for a fourth stay to our resort and we will make sure your stay is nothing else but a amazing experience again.

Wit Best Wishes,

Area General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

i was told about the beauty of the hotel , but it overcome my expectations
the privacy of the villa is so good, the kindness of people, the beach, the services, i dont have any complaint . is simple amazing

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear viajero de BanyanTree.com

On behalf of the Banyan Tree Mayakoba, I would like to thank you for letting us know that we have exceeded your expectations.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to our resort.

With best Regards,

London, U.K.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

We as a family enjoyed a 5 day vacation at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba. The standards of accommodation and service were of the highest standard and in addition the staff always managed to personalise thir approach which added to the overall experience.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank RobertLondon00
Dear RobertLondon00

Thank you very much for coming with your family to Banyan Tree Mayakoba and for writing on Trip Advisor about your great experience.

It is nice to know that you have enjoyed our service and the hotel facilities.

We all are looking forward to welcome you soon again,
With best regards

Max Lennkh
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

Amazing! Great rooms, great service. Delicious breakfast, lunch and dinner. We really enjoyed our stay here, also the spa was incredible. Highly recommended for a quick getaway and honeymoon style trip, even if you go with other couples. There is time to be alone and to be with friends if you want.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear viajero de Banyan Tree.com

It is of great satisfaction for me to know that you have really enjoyed your time at Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

Thank you for your recommendations for other guests.

I hope we will be able to welcome you again soon,

With best Regards

Area general Manager
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

This property is absolut paradise, Banyan Tree knows how to treat their guests. As soon as you enter the hotel, the staff is very nice. The room is beautifully decorated in a thai chic style, the pool is heated and the villa is private. Can you ask for more?
The pool near the beach is amazing and the view is breathtaking. The breakfast buffet was delicious!! the restaurants for dinner were a little expensive, but worthy.
Definitely the BEST anniversary ever!! Can't hardly wait to come back :)

2 Thank Alejandra G
Dear Alejandra G

Thank you for choosing the BanyanTree Mayakoba Hotel for celebrating your wedding anniversary. It is an honor to serve you during such a unique event and to know that we have made your stay a memorable experience.

Awaiting the moment of welcome you again,

Wishing you all the best,

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

This hotel is stunning in every way. As you enter the grounds, you know that this place is special. The building is beautiful and the check in process is quick and easy while you sit and wait on comfortable chairs.
We stayed in a garden room villa which was very well equipped. It had a lovely pool and the villa itself was roomy and decorated in a contemporary asian style. I really enjoy using the complementary products that they provide you with when you stay in Banyan Tree hotels. The bed was very large and comfortable and we slept well whilst we were there.

We had room service one evening and then ate at Saffron on our second night. The room service was quick and efficient but not cheap. A burger was $29 USD. The food at Saffron was amazing! I had the grouper and pineapple and my boyfriend had the beef curry. Both mains were delicious and the starter and deserts were also very good. I would definitely recommend the Mayan mojito which comes in a martini glass. The breakfast was the best I have seen in a large hotel. The selection was huge so we couldn't have asked for more.
William at the reflections pool bar is worth speaking to. He is so knowledgable about the area and different drinks. We had a real education with him on different spirits one afternoon. He also makes a great cocktail.

My one criticism: when I booked this hotel I had to give my credit card details which I believed was to cover the room rate for the stay and then any other extras would be paid for on departure. However, I was surprised on our last day that we had not been charged when I booked the villa and we had a huge bill for the entire stay to pay. This left me with a bitter taste in my mouth at the end of our stay which is a shame as our actual experience on Banyan Tree Mayakoba had otherwise been excellent. However discovering that I had in fact not paid for the hotel ruined my last day here which meant that I couldn't wait to leave. I think that the process needs to be made much clearer when guests are booking their rooms with a credit card that they aren't actually paying for the hotel at all.

On payment, be aware that several taxes are added to the bill including a government tax, VAT and a service tax/charge which amounts to an extra 29% on top of your quoted room rate. The hotel says that all of these charges are mandatory but neither of the 2 other accommodations that I stayed in whilst I was in Mexico added these on. This really makes a difference to the amount that you pay. I was not impressed. Maybe this isn't a problem in the other BT hotels. I stayed at the Bangkok Banyan Tree 2 years ago and they certainly didn't charge for these extras.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Twiggy84
Dear Twiggy84

Thank you very much for your feedback on Trip Advisor and for praising our bartender William, your nice comments were shared with all associates, and of course with William, and his supervisor.

We appreciate very much that you took the time to write your impressions on our hotel. In regards to the charges which were processed only on the last day, this is the normal and correct procedure, your credit card is only used before to guarantee the booking. The tax and other charges are communicated in writing to all guests from the very beginning and are also clearly spelled out on your reservation confirmation.

I sincerely do hope that we will be given the opportunity to welcome you back again.

I remain with best wishes,

Greenpoint, Brooklyn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

Banyan Tree Mayakoba has provided us with wonderful, memorable vacations two years in a row now. July 2011 we planned to spend six and extended a day because we didn't want to leave. For our visit this year, in the last week of August, we planned for seven days but extended to eight, pushing the bounds of good sense because it is absurd to think that anyone deserves to be treated this well for so many days in a row. My wife and I like to try different properties in different places. When we were planning our annual beach trip this year, we compared places we had visited - various Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons, etc. - to BT and we concluded that there was no place we preferred to be.

What sets BT Mayakoba apart is the service, the natural setting in which the resort was laid out, the beautiful beach, the spa and the food The service is remarkable. The staff at all levels that face the guests are bilingual and meet the standards one would expect in a leading hotel in any major city in the world. Many of the staff members were still at their posts during our second visit, which was thirteen months after our first visit. This consistency is very important for training purposes, which as in any organization - and yes, this is an organization - takes place not only as a formal matter but on-the-job by more senior employees. If you don't have senior employees, the service will always suffer. The lack of attrition has a direct impact on the quality of guests' experiences.

A few further observations regarding the staff. They are integrated. In fifteen days of residence there, I have never had a staff member tell me that I have to speak to someone else to have a matter addressed. Remarkable. If you make a request or inquiry of someone that is outside the scope of their responsibility, they speak into their little communication device and someone contacts you with a response or an answer. I can't get this kind of help in my field of work, in which I am supposed to be a big deal.

The staff strikes the right balance between attentiveness and suffocation. They are charming and engaging, do what you need, and then disappear. They understand, no doubt through training and management, the optimal level of interaction desired by the kinds of guests that visit properties like this.

The food is sensational. The ingredients are fresh and locally-sourced, preparation occurs at the time an order is placed, and the recipies are simple. The chefs are experts. These are not guys trained locally who have worked themselves up from the dish room. Even the Sands, the beachfront restaurant, prepares exceptional food. The wine selections are superb and we learned more from the sommellier last year than from anyone we have ever met.

The rooms deserve special mention. A picture is worth a thousand words, so I refer you to the property's web site for a view of these wonderfully conceived spaces.

The region is a medium-length flight from New York, and safe with more entertainment options than I anticipated having available on my first trip down. There are archeological sites, cheesy but fun shopping in nearby Playa del Carmen, trips to cenotes, diving, eco tours, and activity-oriented parks with zip lines and water slides. This property and this region has made the rest of Caribbean irrelevant to me for quite a while.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Orostein
Dear David G

We feel very honored to read your kind remarks in regards of your second visit to our hotel. On behalf of all the associates of the Banyan Tree Mayakoba, I want to express our appreciation for the time you took to write and describe your appreciations of the service we provide.

Thank you for staying with us already twice, and we look forward to be able to welcome you back for a third time.

With best regards,