“A Little Slice of Paradise”

Banyan Tree Mayakoba
Ranked #3 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
U.S.
“A Little Slice of Paradise”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We had a magical stay at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba two weeks before Christmas. We loved the interior design of the villa--the airy, spacious feeling of the high ceilings, the inviting bed, the mere steps it takes from the bed to the garden swimming pool through the sliding doors, the tranquil feeling of the private garden with the gazebo and hammock, and the huge, sunny bathroom with the private outdoor bathtub. The staff at the Banyan Tree were uniformly friendly and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. The private beach 15 minutes' walk away was a tranquil place to relax, while we were charmed by the wildlife, including the (I assume resident) crocodile in the river, on the property. The dining was absolutely superb in each of the property's restaurants. My only criticism, and it is a minor one, is that the villa inevitably had a musty, salty smell, which is probably exacerbated by recycled air through the air conditioning system. The smell is particularly acute when we are in the pool with the villa doors open, then you can really smell the mustiness coming out of the villa. However, I don't think you can avoid that in muggy tropic weather, and it was quite humid when we were there.

1 Thank drummingtosca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 24 December 2013

First off, this review is coming months too late (I visited in March of 2012) as my stay deserved the quickest and most enthusiastic review (except for a few very minor issues which I will address at the end of my review). What you should know about me is that I hate wasting money but I will spend quite a bit on something that is needed, is of high quality, and I can't get it at any other price. Banyan Tree Mayakoba is definitely something that fits this criteria of where your hard-earned money will be put to something well worth your time!

This review is broken up by each day that I stayed here, a brief shout out to one particular member of the staff, and an explanation of at the itty bitty issues I experienced.

DAY 1
So my then boyfriend, knowing I am not one to expect anything fancy, surprised me with a FANTASTIC vacation at this resort, which is EXACTLY what I would want in a DREAM vacation. I mean as soon as you get to the entrance of Banyan Tree, you are IMMEDIATELY taken over by this calming sense. I did not want to speak because I felt that I could not say anything to describe what I saw and how I felt. All I could do was walk to the center of the main "lobby" area and take it all in. I wish I had the ability to describe it and pictures are not going to ever capture that feeling I had walking in.

Right off the bat, the staff was beyond welcoming and wonderful. Throughout our whole stay in fact the staff was always smiling and eager to help. We felt like the only guests in that hotel and that the staff had no where else to be but to cater to our needs. Because of this, all the guests felt at ease and the staff only served to complement the resort's ambiance. The "check-in" process is not like any other resort I have ever been to. The bags were taken care of and we were told to sit down. It felt as if the front desk came to us. We were greeted with this refreshing green beverage (I want to know what is in that!) and given a brief overview of where the spa and restaurants were located. What also threw me off was that the woman checking us in did not mention where the rooms were. It was not until the golf cart drove us down to a brown door that I realized that we had out own VILLA!! You walk in and all you can do is just stare at it all...the views...the water....the fresh air....the sunlight....the most beautiful private pool I have seen in a villa.... everything! Of course the rest of the villa was just as amazing but i just could not wait to get in to that pool!

Later that evening, my boyfriend called a golf cart to take us to dinner. Instead of heading to the areas where dinner would be served, we were headed to the beach! After walking down to the beach following a path of tiki torches I saw a table for two sitting right on the beach overlooking the ocean. We had our own staff who quickly served us food and played romantic (albeit cheesy) music. It was not until the end that a chocolate box was served at our table that I realized that I was going to get proposed to! Of course the staff agreed to record the entire thing which was great! There was also fire works! (literally and figuratively)! After the proposal and enjoying newly-engaged bliss, I walked in to our villa completely done up with candles, rose petals everywhere, the outdoor bath filled and ready for us to dip in and a bottle of red wine. Of course these are like instant sedatives for me so I did not stay up for very long. If you are looking to relax maybe after a day of excursions, their special baths will do just the trick! I mean when else in your life are you going to take a relaxing bath under the stars??

DAY 2
My fiancé knows that I am all about the FOOD so he made sure I started my day off right. Well, he booked a private breakfast on a boat where we traveled down the property's lagoon. If you are a food person that loves nature, you will want to do this! While I do not know the price, apparently it was quite affordable. My fiancé apparently ordered every thing off the menu (do NOT do this) and everything was cooked fresh ON THE BOAT! Our seats were facing out towards the lagoon, the table area was covered so the sun wasn't constantly in our eyes, and there was a partition separating us from the staff. The food was amazing and fresh and just perfect! After eating like kings, we sat towards the front of the boat to take in the sun a little bit.

Later that day, I found out that my fiancé booked a dolphin experience which was off site. Banyan Tree made it easy for him by doing the booking for us even before we arrived. There was another couple that joined the shuttle with us. This shuttle was shared with other resorts. The experience was amazing and I wouldn't trade it for the world! I learned so much there!

For dinner we tried the Thai restaurant and reservations were also made ahead of time. Apparently this is highly suggested as you are making your reservations. it was here that we were able to see the highest concentration of guests. It felt a little more lively. Also, the staff was relaxed and welcoming as they were taking our orders. What I noticed as I looked around were guests who were in no rush to go anywhere and were easily chatting up about what to order with the table next to them. The atmosphere was anything but pretentious! All you saw were people happy to be at Banyan Tree and happy to be with their loved ones and even other guests. The food of course was amazing!

DAY 3
This was our last day and I was determined to take in as much of Banyan Tree as I could! We started out with the breakfast buffet where the food was just perfect! There was something there for everyone. Much like the restaurant from the night before, guests who sat near us were happy to discuss their experiences at the resort. Every single one of us chimed in with our own stories only illustrating how PERFECT the weekend was and how no one wanted to leave!

My fiancé and I headed back to our villa to lounge around in our pool until it was time for us to get ready to leave. Before we left, we decided to walk around the property and see parts we hadn't seen yet. We grabbed a drink by the pool and then headed to the airport. The private SUV that took us back was equipped with water and a friendly driver!

NOT SO MYSTERIOUS FEMALE STAFF
While I do not know her name, I would like to thank the woman who helped my fiancé plan the most perfect weekend of my entire life! You made his life easier and subsequently our trip went off smoothly! This woman, who I guess is assigned to help guests create a romantic weekend, deserves a raise and promotion! She went above and beyond what I would have thought anyone would do for two random guests. My fiancé told me how her availability and prompt responses to his MANY MANY questions helped ease his mind and feel confident that everything would go according to plan. At the last minute she was unable to make it to the actual proposal but she communicated with the rest of the staff so well that things were still perfect!! I think being able to clearly articulate the specific needs of the guest effectively to the rest of the staff is a sign of someone who knows how to do their job and how to do it well! Who ever is training the staff is setting the standard very high and I only wish that other resorts would follow your lead when it comes to this.

THE BAD:
Okay, let me preface this section by saying that these complaints are SMALL. For the most part they are things that can be easily changed, that could have bee caused by miscommunication (mainly with my fiancé acting as the liaison), and in no means would prevent me from visiting again.

First off, since my fiancé was proposing and it was a special moment in our lives, I wish that there was more than one option for photographers. Apparently the price of the one that was there was quite expensive. A simple photograph or two would have sufficed to capture the moment and I do not think that we should have been limited especially when it came to capturing that moment.

Another significant issue that could be easily altered is how DARK the place was at night even with all the lights on. This is a problem for any woman attempting to get ready in the evening. Perhaps putting brighter lights only in the bathroom would be helpful and could easily fix this problem.

We also had a small issue with the shuttle transporting us to and from the dolphin experience. By the time our experience ended many of the restaurants had closed and we were quite hungry. We had to wait for over an hour in wet, smelly bathing suits as temperatures began to drop. I wish there was at least an option offered or a better system with the shuttles. Also, I wish we were better prepared as far as what we should have packed. This is something that could have been vocalized more to guests going on the dolphin experience. It may also be helpful to offer little packages for these guests that include such things as extra beach towels, bottled water, and small snacks. This would have helped handle the long wait for the shuttle a little better.

This last minor issue is still an important one but it also lead to us having a funny story. Our first night my fiancé stayed up late and left all the sliding doors open in the "living room" area so he could enjoy the breeze. When I woke up and walked across our villa to make some tea, I noticed a huge mess of opened sugar packets every where, brown oat-like crumbs all over, and a half mangled mango on the floor. After finding out that my initial suspect (my fiancé) was innocent, closer inspection revealed that a visitor (We named him Ricardo the Raccoon) decided to have a little midnight snack and left his grimy paw prints all over!! He even stole a granola bar from the minibar (luckily we did not get charged for that since the staff understood). My complaint here is that I wish we were told when checking in what precautions we should take when it come to while animals. Another couple found an anteater in their villa. While I am all for preserving as much as natural wildlife as possible, guests should be better prepared about the possibility of animals visiting and what we should do if something happens. From what I heard, the staff quickly helps get the wile animal out of the villa. Even when we called the front desk about our little visitor (who quickly scattered away when I approached that part of the villa), the staff put our minds at ease and said that these are things that can be easily dealt with. I wish this was communicated while checking in so guests could remain calm and be confident that the staff would be able to help.

MAIN POINT
Despite some of the little issues, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest you find three free days in your schedule and book this resort NOW!! Yes, it is a little pricey but it is WORTH IT!! I am an average girl who loves to budget and I say that this is worth every penny. Also, I have seen more expensive villas and they do not look as nice as Banyan Tree. For the price you are getting a beautiful villa with an amazing staff who will do anything to make your stay comfortable and special. My fiancé and I saw other nearby resorts briefly during our trip. While they may have been cheaper, the guests staying there were talking about eating chicken wings and complaining about the loud kids running around. Also with other nearby resorts you do not get that feeling that you're at a special resort. At Banyan Tree you KNOW you are at an exclusive resort. The way the place looked, I thought the villa would have been over $1,000 a night! Although, I do hope that they keep the prices where they are at now since I think everyone should have the chance to experience a luxurious vacation at least once in their life.

So as you are sitting there on your computer thinking "oh, I don't know it's too expensive and isn't there another resort that is more affordable... blah blah blah," just STOP and do something for yourself! Just book a vacation that you will NEVER forget!!

My fiancé have officially planned to come here again to celebrate the anniversary of the engagement. Next time we do plan on staying on the property and taking in all its beautiful features!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sbw0211
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 21 December 2013

My wife and I stayed 5 nights and were delighted from beginning to end.
Villas were impeccably clean. Spotless. The daily turndown service with its combination of soft music, scented oils and the adjustment of lighting was very special and just wonderful.
The grounds are beautifully kept. Cobbled driveways adorned by manicured jungle. No litter, none. Not a match head can be found!
The service is exceptional. Full eye contact with a smile from everyone we passed whether walking the grounds or passing in a buggy out to the beach. Amazing people. Everyone seemed to know our names. Must be a technique of some kind. I can never remember names, Truly amazing.
My wife and I chose to participate in the breakfast buffet as part of our package and were very pleased with not only the fantastic selection but again, the service. We were actually escorted in early one morning to the buffet as it was being set up just before it opened to grab a "to go" box as we were in a hurry to catch a guided tour that morning. As I buckled my seat belt in the tour van one of the buffet staff Jessica was standing there with two coffee's. She had raced up the stairs behind us to offer them to us. Thank you Jessica.That's when I knew we had made the right choice with Banyan Tree Mayakoba.
The spa was incredible. Nina the spa manager actually sent one girl out to the hotel gift store to get us a little gift as we were celebrating our anniversary. Cute bag, beautiful Banyan Tree picture frame and some wonderful crèmes for my wife. Thank you Nina. Very thoughtful. Chandra and Sanja handled our couples massage to perfection. Thank you for that,
Alan made everything perfect for us during check in. He is very professional and mild mannered. Not pretentious. He made us feel welcome and at ease from the minute we arrived in the lobby. It was made clear that any concern we had would be addressed quickly and efficiently, and it was. Thank you Alan.
All the bell persons were attentive and friendly especially Aldo. Very nice young man . Thank you Aldo.
There are two waiters that stood out to us as providing exceptional service. They were both named Alberto. One worked in the Tamarind restaurant the other was working in the Orient restaurant breakfast buffet. Always looked for them for their friendly Knowledgably service. Thank you for that. By the way, the food was excellent as well.
Jesus the maintenance man fixed our lighting or should I admit instructed me how to set them properly. Quick, professional and courteous. Thank you Jesus!
One of our favorite memories will be of the Catholic mass we attended early Sunday morning. Local children sang while Father prepared the alter. My wife Joy was asked to read the second reading. It totally made her day! Very special.
Thank you Banyan Tree management for taking care of our spiritual needs as well. You really do think of everything.

Room Tip: No matter where you stay you will be treated like royalty so pick the cheaper rooms. They are all am...
Cornwall
Reviewed 21 December 2013

We have stayed at other Banyan Tree Resorts so we knew what to expect when we arrived at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba for a 9 night holiday. The resort is located some 45 minutes transfer from Cancun Airport. The Banyan Tree is surrounded by a combination of a mangrove jungle and a golf course in the privacy of the Mayakoba resort estate. This provides a beautiful natural setting.

Upon arrival, we were very efficiently welcomed and checked-in. The green juice and towel provided was a nice touch that you would expect of a 5-star hotel. The formalities were quickly completed and we were then given a conducted tour of the central complex and our Sanctuary Villa by one of the excellent Resort Hosts. The excellence of the Resort Hosts will be one of our memories of our stay. Indeed all the staff were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable - to the highest level.

Our villa was extremely comfortable. The air-con worked well but was noisy. We enjoyed the private pool and jacuzzi immensely and felt that the design and facilities of the villa were excellent as was the comfort of the bed. Our only criticisms were that the outdoor bath was unattractive and the tea and coffee making facilities were aimed at those who only require a single and very small cup each day.

There are three ways to get around the Banyan Tree - walk; take a golf buggy or relax aboard one of the boats that operate on the canal system between the BT and the beach or the other two hotels on the Mayakoba Resort. Walking is not a problem unless it is raining or you are carrying something heavy since the scenery around the BT is great. The Resort Hosts are quick and very responsive to getting a buggy to your villa or to collect you from a restaurant. But we loved the boat trips which gave us the opportunity to see the wildlife - crocodiles; ospreys, pelicans, snake birds, racoons, herons and many more fish and birds.

We also enjoyed the beach. Sands is a well-designed facility that provides a good base for those who want to spend the day on the relatively narrow beach. We enjoyed 7 days on the beach and appreciated the service to provide us with shade, towels, drinks and food by the staff at Sands.

We ate at the Banyan Tree every night and enjoyed the quality/quantity of the food and the service. We were however critical that during our stay in December only 50% of the restaurants were open on any night. The Oriente provided one of the best breakfast buffets that we have experienced anywhere in the world but was never open in the evening. The other restaurants are very good but do not have the depth in their menus that will provide the variety that we sought. The Saffron was excellent but had a limited number of starters and main courses.The food prices are expensive and greater variety should be provided for that cost. The La Copa bar provided some very interesting food. We enjoyed the selections of meats and cheeses one night and fell in love with the Chocolate Fondant.

We had two criticisms. Firstly on checking our bill we were overcharges by a sum greater than US$1200 and numerous billing mistakes should not be made in a 5-star hotel so check your bill carefully. Secondly we arranged two trips with the resident Amstar Tourist Desk. The first to Chitchen Itza with Cancun Passion required us to leave the hotel at 6:45 am [thereby missing breakfast] to await collection at the Fairmont where we were the only passengers collected before spending another 1 hour 45 minutes travelling in a van around neighbouring hotels before boarding our coach. Surely the hotel is able to organise a tour supplier who will collect their guests from the BT? Surely a tour provider can be found who does not take guests on a long meandering of local hotels? Our second trip to Tullum was excellent. We were collected by Cancun Sea Adventures from the BT.

We had a great holiday and enjoyed our stay at the Banyan Tree.

2 Thank LadyMolestrangler
Toronto, Ontaro
Reviewed 19 December 2013

This was my second time staying here and I'm happy to say that the resort continues to be excellent. My companion was blown away by the luxury and natural beauty of the place. The garden villa was amazing and we took full advantage of the private pool. Yes, the restaurant food is pricey but it is commensurate with the quality. Anyone that complains about portion size is nuts. If they want to gorge they can stay home and go to Applebees or go to an all inclusive up the beach. This is not the place for that.

My only complaint is with billing. You need to check your bill for accuracy. I was billed for transportation from the airport that failed to show up because my flight was delayed. There were also a number of other billing mistakes. They were fixed once I complained but the repetitive pattern was quite irritating.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 400s which are quite central yet still quiet
1 Thank TorontoBoy100
Mahwah, New Jersey, USA
Reviewed 16 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

We attended a wedding there and it was quite nice. The villas are spacious, private, and come with its own pool. Food was good as well. The only downside was that the beach was relatively narrow and unimpressive. The adjacent golf course was extremely challenging but fun to play.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeff R
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I have traveled many beautiful places all over the world and was in AWE of the natural beauty when I arrived in Banyan Tree last month. I did not expect to find such an amazing place so close to Cancun. Although I read reviews often, I am not one to spend time reviewing but this place needs to get the credit. It is a five star and if I could rate it higher I would! The food, the people, the villas/rooms, everything was amazing. This place is special so if you are wanting a private honeymoon and don't like all inclusives (like me) then look no further. If you want somewhere special to be with your family (like me) then look no further...its worth saving your money for and you will be saving the minute you get home to return soon!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com