“Great unique place”

Banyan Tree Mayakoba
Ranked #3 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Exceptional service. Rooms and grounds fabulous. Rooms a little far from the beach but really unique concept. Wish it was adult only. Food is a little expensive. Purchase breakfast buffer option, it was great. Had nice dinner at nearby Rosewood. Staff very accommodating at getting us there. Would return for the elegant experience

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank sluggo2014
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Guest:
Thank you for your wonderful review and highlighting our service and facilities. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your days with us and look forward to be welcoming you back, hopefully in the soon future.
Warm regards,
Michael Näther

Write a ReviewReviews (2,219)

Reviewed 12 July 2014

My husband and I just returned from a 4 night, 5 day trip in Banyan Tree, Mayakoba. We stayed in a luxury pool villa (aka standard room) close to the main building and I could not stop saying throught the entire stay that it is one of the best rooms I have stayed at. It has a big swimming pool (you can literally swim laps in it. I was used to the typical plunge pool, the size of a jacuzzi that you see in other hotel rooms for the same price) and a spacious terrace/ garden with a lounge area.

We were happy staying close to the main building with the spa, gym, lobby, swimming pool and some restaurants nearby, although it is far from the beach (7 mins golf cart ride approx). If you prefer to be by the beach, you will need to take a golf cart to get everywhere.

The spa was amazing. I am a true spa junkie and Banyan Tree continues to be one of the best. No matter which country you visit it in, you get the same amazing service and treatments.

There are 2 down sides to the hotel:
1) The food was not up to standards. Pool area food was pretty bad and a very limited (and greasy) menu. Tamarind was too sophisticated for the beach. Saffron was great, very pretty setting and really good thai food. We went there twice. The other nights we went for dinner at the next door Rosewood hotel (loved their sushi. Did not like their italian)
2) You do have to get around in the golf carts. The hotel is very big and the walk to the beach in that heat is just too long, but they also have nice gondolas that take you through the mangroves. (with limited operating hours though)

Do I recommend this place? Definitely. We had stayed before at the neighboring Fairmont Hotel and this is much more up-scale. Excellent service, absolutely beautiful rooms, and wonderful spa.

Room Tip: The luxury pool villa is amazing!!! They have bigger ones if you are travelling with kids. This one...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Leisurepax

Dear Guest:
Thank you for your candid and nice review. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the service provided by our people as well as our elegant and private facilities. Thank you also regarding your wonderful comments about our Spa and Saffron, our signature Thai restaurant.-
While we are happy to know that you had a pleasant stay, we have also noted your comments about the food at our Beach Restaurant and brought them to the attention of our Executive Chef and Restaurant Chef at Sands. They will carefully look into this and ensure that our true quality standards will always be met in a more consistent way. Thank you for bringing this point to our attention, as comments like your enable us to better monitor and improve.
We certainly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon. In the meantime, please receive my warmest regards,

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Exceptional facilities, beautifully appointed spacious villas, very clean and comfortable, excellent amenities (although a few minor maintenance issues). Bed and linens are luxurious, huge bathroom, beautiful talavera sinks, double vanity, nice walk-in closet, and huge very cool outdoor bathtub with candles, bubble bath, etc. Pool is large and garden areas are beautifully and meticulously landscaped. I stayed in a sanctuary villa with a separate "pavilion" or living area, which was nice, but a bit awkward in my opinion. I felt this was wasted space as it is separate from the more comfortable bedroom / bathroom area, with separate locking doors that close shut automatically. You will have to prop open the bedroom door or keep a key with you, which is awkward if you are enjoying the pool/patio area. I learned the hard way locking myself out late in the evening making tea in the living area. Amenities are plentiful, two extensive minibars and wine cellar (expensive), but lots of complimentary water, coffee/espresso, tea, and fresh fruit daily. Nice touches and attention to detail. Some maintenance issues (burnt out light bulbs, broken bathroom fixtures, temperamental espresso machine) were attended to promptly (although preventative measures would be expected at this level of a hotel).

I was a bit worried about being so far from the beach but I very much enjoyed the different environments, the lush tropical setting and mangroves of the villas are very serene, peaceful and relaxing, as long as you don't mind sharing and communing with nature (bugs, mosquitos, and all kinds of critters are abundant). In my opinion a refreshing option to the sterile settings typical of Cancun and other parts of the Riviera Maya. The separate beach area is actually very nice as is the pool and service at Sands, just not conveniently close to the villas.

The private pool at the villa is awesome, nice design alongside the bedroom, very spacious, and refreshing. Some villas have much more vegetation than others. Mine had lots of trees, vines, etc. which resulted in lots of shade as well as lots of leaves and floating debris in the pool, which I didn't mind at first, but after the third day it was excessive, as the pools aren't cleaned everyday (strange).

The real disappointment was the food. I was looking forward to the Thai cuisine, especially when I read that the chef was from Thailand (I think he needs to go back for a refresher course). The thai dishes, as well as most of the food was mediocre, lacking real flavor and inventiveness. A few things stood out, but hit and miss. The tuna tartar at Sands was delicious, but the hamburger was a big block of flavorless pre-formed meat patty. The red curry beef filet also lacked flavor (very expensive, at $50+), heavy curry sauce and mushy rice. The breakfast buffet was a huge disappointment. I travel for business extensively in Mexico and consider myself a connoisseur of Mexican breakfast buffets. Even at the most standard Mexican hotel chains you will find plentiful fresh authentic Mexican "guisos". Unfortunately the one day I tried the breakfast buffet, by 10:45am most of the hot food stations were empty, or near empty, and not being replenished. I do have to admit that the benefit of this was my special requests were quickly attended to resulting in freshly prepared hot food, but with a wait. I wanted to try the Thai coconut soup Tom Kha Gai (one of my all time favorites), but the waiter tried to give me the last bit of soup that remained on the buffet, absent of any chicken or mushrooms, just a few drops of lukewarm broth. Expressing my disappointment, they finally delivered a full bowl freshly prepared with delicious chunks of chicken and mushrooms. The way it should have been. The cold food selection was abundant, fresh fruit and juice was good, but pastries were stale and tasteless. For $49 USD per person, once again way overpriced for the mediocre quality.

Room service was hit or miss. The first night it was served promptly and hot. The second night was slow and the delivery person assumed my "privacy" light meant I didn't want my order, which was returned to the kitchen before they bothered to call me. Once I affirmed I indeed wanted my dinner, the result was a cold plate of pasta, and cold chicken (for $60 USD).

Beware that service is automatically included not just for room service, but also at all restaurants. I generously double tipped without realizing at the Sands restaurant.

Service in general was exceptional, warm, genuine and personal, always greeting me by name. However, there was an "issue" with my credit card following check-in, as I was later informed late the first evening. I was very worried, contacted my bank the next day, verified everything was in order and BT Mayakoba had successfully charged my card. I finally was told there wasn't really a problem, but rather the reception never made a copy of the card for their file, which resulted in unnecessary concern on my part overnight (supposed to be a relaxing vacation), as well as a needless visit to the reception desk the next day.

All in all, considering the special rate I received through Expedia and the complimentary room upgrade, I consider my stay at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba a good value, and despite the flaws, (depending on future rates) I will likely return in the future.

Room Tip: Villas are beautiful and very comfortable, although you are communing with nature. Some have more ve...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank Travel8286
BTMayakoba, General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Guest:
Thank you very much for your detailed feedback regarding your most recent stay at our resort. While we are happy to hear that you found our service to be “exceptional, warm, genuine and personal”, we carefully took note of the shortcomings you mention. I personally shared your comments with our Executive Chef, Food, Beverage Manager and Front Office Team to review their processes and quality levels, and make sure that these are aligned with our true standards. Please accept my apologies as in some aspects we obviously did not fully meet your expectations. I sincerely hope that eventually we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back and then provide you with a flawless experience.
Warmest regards,

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Banyan Tree brings all of the service for which Thailand is renowned closer to home on the Mexican Riviera. The resort is on a massive acreage comprising a PGA golf course, an expansive network of swamps with wildlife for eco exploration, a beautiful long stretch of beach and delightful villas with individual pool and jacuzzi. Service is first rate, there are several restaurants from which to choose, and the spa is staffed with experienced masseuses from Thailand.

You couldn't do much better than Bayan Tree Mayakoba for a terrific wellness experience!

Room Tip: Try to get a group together to share the cost of a 3 bedroom villa on the beach.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fly_d_Skies

Dear Guest:
We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your most recent stay at our beautiful resort. Thank you for your gracious comments, especially about our service.
Banyan Tree Mayakoba is proud to provide an experience that resembles a gentle blend of Thai ambiance and Mexican hospitality within a beautiful and natural environment. We are very happy that you carried away a pleasant and memorable experience and hope to get the opportunity to welcoming you back in the future.
Warmest regards,

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Banyan Tree Mayakoba is the last word in luxury and impeccable service. Staff are attentive, anticipatory and the resort itself is breathtaking. Everything is done with a sense of style, impeccable attention to detail and intended to relax you.

From the private pool in the villa to the luxurious spa to the beachside pool and many many restaurants, this was a trip of a lifetime. If you need to decompress and find your bliss this is the place for you where you can truly unplug and just let your cares drift away. Going again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jamesdotkelly
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Mr. Kelly:
It is our true pleasure to read that you truly enjoyed our beautiful resort. Thank you in particular for mentioning the attentiveness of our staff as they are our key factor in creating a most memorable experience within the natural beauty of our surroundings.
We certainly hope to able to welcoming you back soon and wend you our warmest regards,

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We went to the Banyan Tree for our honeymoon. It was a perfect experience and absolutely wonderful in every way. They really take the time to understand you and personalize their service to your preferences. My husband is an architect specializing in sustainability, and they even arranged for the social programs director to meet with my husband

Room Tip: We had a villa! It was spectacular! So beautiful!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com
1  Thank Allisonr1023 R

Dear Ms. Allison:
Thank you for your wonderful review and for mentioning the personalized service by our staff. It is wonderful to know that you truly enjoyed your visit and that your husband had the opportunity to meet Paola and learn more about our initiatives for sustainability and social engagement within the local community.
Hoping to be welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakobá soon, I send you my warmest regards,

Reviewed 28 June 2014

The resort was amazing, beautiful rooms, great food and restaurant choices, the best part was the flawless service, the staff were fabulous ... Mexico is generally very humid so when you enter your spotless cool room, it's so refreshing. The buggy system used for getting to and from everywhere in the resort was super efficient. This resort is set in a very 'green' environment, and the river and eco-tour were very good. Perfect resort for relaxation and wellness. Would definitely go back!

• Stayed: June 2014
BTMayakoba, Gerente at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Ms. Marielle A.:
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments, especially about our service and dedicated staff. We are very happy that you enjoyed the beauty of our resort as well as our restaurants and wellness offerings.
Please receive our warmest regards and we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.