“Amazing service! Beautiful facility!”

Banyan Tree Mayakoba
Ranked #3 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 22 January 2010

My husband and I are finishing our stay at Banyan Tree. We decided to book the round trip transportation which was a great start to our stay. Water and quiet music made the journey fly by (it only took us 35 minutes). Everyone goes out of their way to welcome you and to make sure all of your expectations are not only met, but exceeded. Today, I had two minor problems which were swiftly addressed and remedied to my complete satisfaction. I even received a follow up phone call from our "resort hostess" to apologize. Way to go Banyan Tree!

1  Thank bluehon
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, Vice President / Area General Manager Mexico at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2010

Dear Valued Guest

On behalf of Banyan Tree Mayakoba family we wish to express our deep gratitude for taking the time to share your experience with others.

We are very conscious that we have created a wonderful “Sanctuary for the Senses” and it could not be perfect without the professional team who is totally committed to deliver the finest service and most genuine care to our guest.

We are more than happy to know that your stay with us has been so enjoyable to deserve your preference and recommendation.

We look forward to hosting you soon at Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

pancho.llamas@banyantree.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,242)

Reviewed 22 January 2010

I am going to make this short and sweet!....I am so happy we picked this place for our honeymoon! I loved everything about this hotel.... great food, quiet, clean, modern, private,new,excellent service, great spa, easy access to airport. You will not go wrong.!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest

I would really like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others.

Banyan Tree Mayakoba vision is being a sanctuary for the senses to provide an environment of sensuality and romanticism for the couples; it is very satisfactory to know that we became the scenery of such a unique occasion in your life.

We look forward to celebrate with you your 1st anniversary, please contact me personally and we will arrange something special for your future getaway.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 22 January 2010

I was pretty sure I reviewed Banyan Tree Mayakoba, but can't seem to find it now. I am re-reviewing it mainly because I am trying to plan another getaway and can't seem to think Banyon Tree Mayakoba. The area is beautiful. Upon thinking of returning to Banyan Tree Mayakoba, I still can't get past the fact that most of the villas (which are lovely) are not near the beach. We hade to call a gulf cart half the time to go to the beach, pool, restaurants. we were on the "river", which was nice, but the gulf is better. We are beach people, the rocks at the beach were leathal! i have water shoes, but my husband found it dangerous and even as swimmers, we had to avoid rocks or concrete that were all over. the spa was fabulous, private rooms and excellent professional therapists. the service was attentive. i didn't want to be the complainer, but the rocky beach and distance the rooms were from the water will keep me from returning. had a few engineering calls (shower filling up, hot tub not hot), but they were responded to immediately. Would recommend to a friend who likes long walks TO the beach and doesn't care about swimming in the beach water!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us.

Our main commitment is to work very hard and be placed as one of the best hotels not just in the Riviera Maya, but in Mexico.

We are located in Mayakoba complex, which has one of the best beaches in the Caribbean. A few times during the year, due to strong ocean currents, storms or hurricanes, the ocean brings some shells and corals to the beach. Besides, currents remove part of the sand exposing the natural rocks, not concrete. After a few days, the sand returns to its original position.

Mayakoba – meaning “village of water” – was envisioned as an ecologically sensitive development, which would give protection to the dunes, jungle, and mangroves, which are protected in this area. This is the reason why international luxury hotel operators, such as Banyan Tree, along with Fairmont and Rosewood, chose to build our properties with a small footprint leading to the beach. Through careful architecture, we have built villas on the beach and other villas along the canals and mangroves, offering a rare view of nature at its best through the many flourishing fauna and flora right at your doorstep.

Regarding the long walks around the resort, the distance between the Lagoon Villas and the beach club is less than half a mile. You can ask for a bike, call a buggy or take the boat to move around the resort if you prefer.

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Banyan Tree Mayakoba on a future occasion.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 21 January 2010

We left Banyan Tree this morning after staying there 4 days - which wasn't nearly enough. It was our second time here. We came during the height of the Swine Flu scare last April - empty plane, quiet hotel. But we were, and are, simply enchanted with this resort.

First, the combination of the Asian/Mexican cultures translated into exquisite service and incredible warmth emanating from the staff. We stayed in a spa pool suite, which combined a separate building (pavilion) with a huge daybed, large flat screen TV. club table and chairs, and bar area. The bedroom in a separate building was beautiful, along with an incredible bathroom with double sinks, frosted glass large shower with steam, separate toilet, and an outside HUGE bathtub by a decorative rock wall with votive candles set in that the staff would light during turndown service. The turndown service was lovely. We came back to the room each night and the robes were laid out on the bed, fresh bottles of water by the bedside, a soothing spa-like CD on the Bose player. The bedding and pillows were lovely. In our compound, which included a jacuzzi, pool, and steam shower, there was an outdoor staircase that led to an area with 2 massage tables, an outdoor shower, a place to sit, and a sink. Our compound was completely private.

A buffet breakfast came with our stay, which was both delicious and huge with American, Mexican, and Asian dishes. Of course, there was a cook to make your huevos rancheros to order, or egg whites, scrambled eggs, omelettes. Since breakfast lasted until noon, we worked out in the small but well-equipped gym every morning, showered, and then ate.

The first day that we got there, we were by the pool waiting for our room to be ready, and asked if we could have guacamole with just avocados, lime juice, and salt. No problem. Grouper ceviche was on the menu, and we asked if they could make tuna ceviche - no problem. This pervasive willingness to please, and the over-riding warmth of the staff surpassed even the quiet luxury of Banyan Tree Mayakoba. The thousands of details in the beauty of the physical hotel from the lighting at night to the comfortable seating everywhere invites everyone to relax and luxuriate in its essence. In the past, I've been sad to leave a resort, but never like this. Back in Kansas City, my husband and I will need to rely on memories to keep us until our next Banyan Tree experience.

1  Thank codybosco

Dear Valued Guest

We are overjoyed to read the nice description you made about our villas and service. We are glad that our resort in general has pleased you.

I really appreciate your fine comments about our breakfast buffet, we are trying to improve it and make it even better. I am delighted to read that our staff surpassed to make a unique experience for you at Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

Besides the spectacular product we have, I am sure that it is our service and attention to details, what makes the difference with our competitors. Still, we will humbly work hard every day to try to deliver a perfect experience for all our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba very soon.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 21 January 2010

No doubt the hotel and the villas are among the best on Riviera Maya. But its the service that sets this hotel apart. The guest hosts are remarkable. If you need it, they will find it. This is an extremely expensive hotel on every level...but you do get what you pay for. A luxurious, completely serviced holiday.

1  Thank BillG333

Dear Valued Guest

It is always a great pleasure to read through notes such as yours, they are an inspiration to help us in our continued commitment to maintain the high standards you have experienced.

I look forward of hosting you again and provide you with a perfect stay in a near future in Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 19 January 2010

I must agree with previous reviews. This is a very impressive property. And it does have the best service I have experienced. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable. But do make sure you book the right room. If you want a jacuzzi and spacious rooms don't book the terrace suites. These rooms are smaller and darker than the ones in the villas. The pools are lovely but for us they were too cold to use. The website is very deceptive. Make sure you talk to the front desk and specify exactly what you want. I know they will do everything possible to accommodate any request. Don't miss the breakfast buffet,it is spectacular. We had a wonderful stay. Saffron and Sands were our favorite restaurants. Do go visit Coba with its wonderful ruins. Kudos to the Banyan Tree for their high standards and they way they make it seem effortless.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank IlViaggio

Dear Valued Guest

We wish to thank you for taking the time to share with us your gracious comments, which definitely allow us to improve our service.

Please accept our apology if the information posted at the Web regarding the heated pools seems confused. Due we are located at the Caribbean; our only heated pool is Reflections, our main pool next to Oriente.
At the same time, all our Courtyard Pool Villas, Spa Pool Villas, Two Bedroom and Three Bedroom Pool Villas, have heated whirlpools which you can also enjoy.

I am glad to know your stay with us was enjoyable.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba soon.

Reviewed 15 January 2010

I had extremely high expectations for Banyan Tree Mayakoba, based on the reviews it had received in Trip Advisor. For the most part, I think the high ratings other reviewers have given this resort are warranted. The accommodations are very nice, the food is delicious, the service is good. There are a few minor issues that merit mentioning but overall, I give it very high marks.

Every room is a private villa, with a pool, hot tub and separate pavilion. The rooms are nicely appointed and we were very pleased with the setting. One thing to remember-the pool, hot tub and deck are mostly, but not completely, private. Not really a big deal, as someone would have to be really trying to see you but something to remember if your expectations were for complete privacy. Also, don't be surprised to see workers in boats go by 1 or 2 times a day. We asked specifically when we checked in if any boats ever used the canal and were told no, only to see a boat go by twice the next day. Not a big deal but, again, be aware that it isn't complete and total privacy. If you really want that, book a spa villa with rooftop pool and lounge area and it won't be an issue. The bathrooms are great and very large. Ours had a very large shower, a (very private) outdoor bathtub (upon request, they staff will draw a bath for you and decorate your room with rose petals) and ample closet and dressing space.

The food and service at all of the restaurants was excellent. Waiters and managers remembered our names and our food preferences. One slight drawback-there is no breakfast room service but the breakfast buffet is served until 12 noon, which should give even the latest sleepers ample time to eat. Speaking of breakfast, its served in a huge buffet with plenty of food from which to choose. Mexican, Asian and traditional American breakfast food is available. We usually ate a large, late breakfast and skipped lunch or just snacked. Our other dining experiences were all great; you won't go wrong at any of the restaurants. The flagship restaurant, Saffron, is Thai so if that isn't your thing, any of the others will have plenty of good choices.

We spent most of our time laying by the pool in our villa and only occasionally ventured down the the beach. When we did, the service was good and we had no trouble getting towels, lounges and umbrellas. There was plenty of staff around and when we were ready for food or drink, they quickly accommodated us. We didn't visit the main pool but walked by it on our way to and from breakfast and it looked nice, clean and well staffed.

My wife and I each had a massage in the spa and everything, from the spa facilities, to our spa therapists, were great. Treatments were a little pricey but that's probably to be expected. My only complaint with the spa is that workers with leaf blowers were right outside my window for about 20 minutes.

Overall, we had a great time and can easily recommend Banyan Tree Mayakoba. Just a few things that I think merit a mention:
1) We were surprised at how many families we saw during our stay. For some reason, we expected that there would be more couples and fewer families. This isn't a knock against the hotel, just an observation.
2) When we checked in, our resort host told us all of the restaurants except the Beach Club were booked up that night. Turns out, that wasn't the case and I'm not sure if he was misinformed or just wanted us to eat at the Beach Club. I've seen this same issue addressed in other reviews. My suggestion is to make your dining arrangements for your first night in advance (try Tamarind) and make reservations for your remaining meals soon after you arrive. Don't wait until 5 pm and expect to get a reservation for that night.
3) The resort is laid out in such a way that every villa (or at least most of them) back up to a canal (with the exception of the 12 or so 3 bedroom villas actually at the beach). This means that you have to walk all the way around the villas in order to get anywhere. You can call for a golf cart to pick you up but that can take some time, especially during peak periods. You can also request bicycles but, as a number of other reviews have noted, you may or may not get any and when you do, it may be the night before you check out, as was the case with us. There is a charge for the bicycles, which I think is ridiculous. The resort would do well to buy more bikes and make them available for no charge.
4) Our resort host guided us through check in, took us to our room and after that, we never saw him again. We got along fine without him but during the check in process, he led us to believe that he would be available to us during the rest of our stay. The resort may want to re-think how they want the resort hosts to interact with the guests.

None of these issues ruined our stay nor would they make us not want to recommend the hotel to friends and family. I understand that its still a new property and some issues just take a while to work out. Overall, we had a great time and were treated very well. We will return to Banyan Tree Mayakoba soon and expect to again have a wonderful time.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TX99

Dear Valued Guest

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and wish to thank you very much for your gracious comments about our hotel services and associates.

Our main commitment is to maintain the high standards you have experienced through consistency training to our staff of whom we are very proud and believe is the finest in Riviera Maya.

Regarding your notes about breakfast in villa, it all depends on the category of your booking. Most of the rates include breakfast buffet in Oriente, however, there is always the choice to have breakfast in villa with an additional charge.

You are right about the privacy. We have 107 Pool Villas, not all of them are 100% private. Some of them have more view to the canals or to the beach, that means less privacy. Some others are fully private, but there is no view, so there are different options which you can choose from.

I have taken note of your observations regarding the wrong information our Resort Host gave you for your dinner reservation, be sure a follow up is taken on your notes.

Thank you for choosing Banyan Tree Mayakoba and for taking the time to share your comments with us.