“Best resort vacation experience Karen and I have ever had!”

Banyan Tree Mayakoba
Ranked #3 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 23 January 2010

Here is the letter that I sent to Mr. Llamas (VP / Area General Manager)

Dear Mr. Llamas,

Simply put: The Banyan Tree Mayakoba was the BEST RESORT VACATION EXPERIENCE KAREN AND I HAVE EVER HAD! I say "Experience" because it wasn't just the upgraded Villa / Accommodations that made our vacation special. It was your staff that "could not do enough" to please us that made this vacation #1! I'm not quite sure how to write this note because I am sure that I will miss important parts of our stay and I could not possibly point out all of the wonderful people that deserve kudos. I assure you that while it may seem impossible, I am not exaggerating one bit about the service we received.

Even prior to our arrival, Yvonne helped me plan all of the arrangements for a "Romantic Intimate Moment" and she made recommendations for dinner, ECO Boat Tour and the Spa. Once we arrived, Myra greeted us and made us feel at home during check in, even giving us a brief tour by boat prior to arriving at our room. Our Villa was exquisite and private with our own swimming pool and hot tub. The Villa itself was magnificent. My wife fell in love with the bathroom and island sinks. We loved both the steam and outside showers / bath. The first night we went for dinner at Tamarind. We met the manager, Christian Roth and told him that we wanted to go upstairs for a drink first. He actually escorted us to the bar. He bent over backwards for us when we returned for dinner. On Saturday we were signed up for the Eco Boat Tour. We actually went to the wrong place for the tour.......we missed it.......until Adrian gave us a private tour. Unreal! No one ever said, that something was too much trouble our entire trip! Adrian gave us the Eco Tour like we were a part of his family. On Saturday evening Yvonne had us set up for dinner at Saffron. We had the "Moonlight Table. It was there that we met Sompong, the manager. I have never met anyone who takes as much pleasure as Sompong does to make other's happy. He made recommendations for dinner and drinks. Initially, I had asked for a dirty martini with stuffed blue cheese olives. I was told that it would be "no problem." However, they would have to go to another restaurant to get the blue cheese and it would take about seven additional minutes. I responded by asking for Sompong for another suggestion. After Karen and I finished our drinks, the waiter came over with 2 new drinks......on the house......YES.....one was my dirty martini with stuffed blue cheese olives. Sompong then told us they he had a surprise for us. The next thing Karen and I knew we had a harp, clarinet and drum player directly in front of us playing THREE romantic songs. As this was happening Sompong Spielberg video tapped the "EXPERIENCE." Oh yes, the food was GREAT TOO! While we were out, Yvonne had our room decorated with rose petals leading up to and into our bed. In addition, the bath was poured with bubbles and salts included. The final touch was the chocolate and honey in covered dishes waiting for us on the tub along with a bottle of champagne.

Like I said, my words can't do your resort justice. I can describe the beautiful restaurants, accommodations, spa, bikes, buggy transportation and their drivers.......but it's the experience.....the Asian / Mexican influence that someone has to witness first hand to fully understand.

On Sunday we had a "In Villa Mexican Barbeque. It was something that once again I have never experienced. Ivan took care of all of the details. In addition to cooking for us, he brought the IPOD out from our room and created atmosphere using both music and his special personality.

Karen and I loved the Rainforest Experience at the Spa. Very relaxing and in a beautiful setting. In addition, I had 2 massages (1 couples massage). Both very relaxing and unique. I particularly liked my Thai Classic Massage given by a therapist from Thailand.

Finally, while I know that the service we received is what Banyan Tree is all about, it's really all a reflection of you because you manage and lead your team. I would be remiss, if I did not give you my ultimate compliment.

I am posting this letter on the Trip Advisor. I want to share our experience.

Rob Kofsky

2  Thank Flyerssignguy
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, Vice President - Area General Manager (Mexico) at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2010

Dear Mr. Kofsky

As I have emailed you privately, I really appreciate your comments.
It will be my pleasure to welcome you back.

Best regards,

Pancho

Write a ReviewReviews (2,220)

Reviewed 22 January 2010

My husband and I are finishing our stay at Banyan Tree. We decided to book the round trip transportation which was a great start to our stay. Water and quiet music made the journey fly by (it only took us 35 minutes). Everyone goes out of their way to welcome you and to make sure all of your expectations are not only met, but exceeded. Today, I had two minor problems which were swiftly addressed and remedied to my complete satisfaction. I even received a follow up phone call from our "resort hostess" to apologize. Way to go Banyan Tree!

1  Thank bluehon
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, Vice President / Area General Manager Mexico at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2010

Dear Valued Guest

On behalf of Banyan Tree Mayakoba family we wish to express our deep gratitude for taking the time to share your experience with others.

We are very conscious that we have created a wonderful “Sanctuary for the Senses” and it could not be perfect without the professional team who is totally committed to deliver the finest service and most genuine care to our guest.

We are more than happy to know that your stay with us has been so enjoyable to deserve your preference and recommendation.

We look forward to hosting you soon at Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 22 January 2010

I am going to make this short and sweet!....I am so happy we picked this place for our honeymoon! I loved everything about this hotel.... great food, quiet, clean, modern, private,new,excellent service, great spa, easy access to airport. You will not go wrong.!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest

I would really like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others.

Banyan Tree Mayakoba vision is being a sanctuary for the senses to provide an environment of sensuality and romanticism for the couples; it is very satisfactory to know that we became the scenery of such a unique occasion in your life.

We look forward to celebrate with you your 1st anniversary, please contact me personally and we will arrange something special for your future getaway.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 22 January 2010

I was pretty sure I reviewed Banyan Tree Mayakoba, but can't seem to find it now. I am re-reviewing it mainly because I am trying to plan another getaway and can't seem to think Banyon Tree Mayakoba. The area is beautiful. Upon thinking of returning to Banyan Tree Mayakoba, I still can't get past the fact that most of the villas (which are lovely) are not near the beach. We hade to call a gulf cart half the time to go to the beach, pool, restaurants. we were on the "river", which was nice, but the gulf is better. We are beach people, the rocks at the beach were leathal! i have water shoes, but my husband found it dangerous and even as swimmers, we had to avoid rocks or concrete that were all over. the spa was fabulous, private rooms and excellent professional therapists. the service was attentive. i didn't want to be the complainer, but the rocky beach and distance the rooms were from the water will keep me from returning. had a few engineering calls (shower filling up, hot tub not hot), but they were responded to immediately. Would recommend to a friend who likes long walks TO the beach and doesn't care about swimming in the beach water!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us.

Our main commitment is to work very hard and be placed as one of the best hotels not just in the Riviera Maya, but in Mexico.

We are located in Mayakoba complex, which has one of the best beaches in the Caribbean. A few times during the year, due to strong ocean currents, storms or hurricanes, the ocean brings some shells and corals to the beach. Besides, currents remove part of the sand exposing the natural rocks, not concrete. After a few days, the sand returns to its original position.

Mayakoba – meaning “village of water” – was envisioned as an ecologically sensitive development, which would give protection to the dunes, jungle, and mangroves, which are protected in this area. This is the reason why international luxury hotel operators, such as Banyan Tree, along with Fairmont and Rosewood, chose to build our properties with a small footprint leading to the beach. Through careful architecture, we have built villas on the beach and other villas along the canals and mangroves, offering a rare view of nature at its best through the many flourishing fauna and flora right at your doorstep.

Regarding the long walks around the resort, the distance between the Lagoon Villas and the beach club is less than half a mile. You can ask for a bike, call a buggy or take the boat to move around the resort if you prefer.

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Banyan Tree Mayakoba on a future occasion.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 21 January 2010

We left Banyan Tree this morning after staying there 4 days - which wasn't nearly enough. It was our second time here. We came during the height of the Swine Flu scare last April - empty plane, quiet hotel. But we were, and are, simply enchanted with this resort.

First, the combination of the Asian/Mexican cultures translated into exquisite service and incredible warmth emanating from the staff. We stayed in a spa pool suite, which combined a separate building (pavilion) with a huge daybed, large flat screen TV. club table and chairs, and bar area. The bedroom in a separate building was beautiful, along with an incredible bathroom with double sinks, frosted glass large shower with steam, separate toilet, and an outside HUGE bathtub by a decorative rock wall with votive candles set in that the staff would light during turndown service. The turndown service was lovely. We came back to the room each night and the robes were laid out on the bed, fresh bottles of water by the bedside, a soothing spa-like CD on the Bose player. The bedding and pillows were lovely. In our compound, which included a jacuzzi, pool, and steam shower, there was an outdoor staircase that led to an area with 2 massage tables, an outdoor shower, a place to sit, and a sink. Our compound was completely private.

A buffet breakfast came with our stay, which was both delicious and huge with American, Mexican, and Asian dishes. Of course, there was a cook to make your huevos rancheros to order, or egg whites, scrambled eggs, omelettes. Since breakfast lasted until noon, we worked out in the small but well-equipped gym every morning, showered, and then ate.

The first day that we got there, we were by the pool waiting for our room to be ready, and asked if we could have guacamole with just avocados, lime juice, and salt. No problem. Grouper ceviche was on the menu, and we asked if they could make tuna ceviche - no problem. This pervasive willingness to please, and the over-riding warmth of the staff surpassed even the quiet luxury of Banyan Tree Mayakoba. The thousands of details in the beauty of the physical hotel from the lighting at night to the comfortable seating everywhere invites everyone to relax and luxuriate in its essence. In the past, I've been sad to leave a resort, but never like this. Back in Kansas City, my husband and I will need to rely on memories to keep us until our next Banyan Tree experience.

1  Thank codybosco

Dear Valued Guest

We are overjoyed to read the nice description you made about our villas and service. We are glad that our resort in general has pleased you.

I really appreciate your fine comments about our breakfast buffet, we are trying to improve it and make it even better. I am delighted to read that our staff surpassed to make a unique experience for you at Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

Besides the spectacular product we have, I am sure that it is our service and attention to details, what makes the difference with our competitors. Still, we will humbly work hard every day to try to deliver a perfect experience for all our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba very soon.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 21 January 2010

No doubt the hotel and the villas are among the best on Riviera Maya. But its the service that sets this hotel apart. The guest hosts are remarkable. If you need it, they will find it. This is an extremely expensive hotel on every level...but you do get what you pay for. A luxurious, completely serviced holiday.

1  Thank BillG333

Dear Valued Guest

It is always a great pleasure to read through notes such as yours, they are an inspiration to help us in our continued commitment to maintain the high standards you have experienced.

I look forward of hosting you again and provide you with a perfect stay in a near future in Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 19 January 2010

I must agree with previous reviews. This is a very impressive property. And it does have the best service I have experienced. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable. But do make sure you book the right room. If you want a jacuzzi and spacious rooms don't book the terrace suites. These rooms are smaller and darker than the ones in the villas. The pools are lovely but for us they were too cold to use. The website is very deceptive. Make sure you talk to the front desk and specify exactly what you want. I know they will do everything possible to accommodate any request. Don't miss the breakfast buffet,it is spectacular. We had a wonderful stay. Saffron and Sands were our favorite restaurants. Do go visit Coba with its wonderful ruins. Kudos to the Banyan Tree for their high standards and they way they make it seem effortless.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank IlViaggio

Dear Valued Guest

We wish to thank you for taking the time to share with us your gracious comments, which definitely allow us to improve our service.

Please accept our apology if the information posted at the Web regarding the heated pools seems confused. Due we are located at the Caribbean; our only heated pool is Reflections, our main pool next to Oriente.
At the same time, all our Courtyard Pool Villas, Spa Pool Villas, Two Bedroom and Three Bedroom Pool Villas, have heated whirlpools which you can also enjoy.

I am glad to know your stay with us was enjoyable.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba soon.

Warm Regards,