“Great experience”

Banyan Tree Mayakoba
Ranked #3 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 5 February 2010

My family and I decided to travel to Banyan Tree Mayakoba after reading the comments we found in Trip Advisor. We wanted to know that singular place about everyone says beautiful things of and above all, verify that the service there is unbeatable.
I think all the comments I read have been unfair. People there are unrivalled. Every comment you do turns in a mission for them and they pay attention to you every moment. From the moment you arrive and the car door is open, they receive you with a big smile and they know who you are.
The Resort Host offered us a refreshing drink, showed us the lobby and explained to us all the thing we could do during our stay. Thanks a lot Yunita to take care of us with your nice smile and excellent good humor.
We enjoyed a lot the beach, the sun, the swimming pool and all the amenities.
Really is a very recommendable experience. Mi only suggestion is having a familiar environment in the restaurants, we were not able to enjoy the dinners because they did not accept children.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank ALABAMA05
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, Vice President / Area General Manager Mexico at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2010

Dear Valued Guest

It is very gratifying for the Banyan Tree Mayakoba family to read throughout your comments and realize that your stay with us was pleasant enough to spend your valuable time sharing the experience with others.

pancho.llamas@banyantree.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,247)

Reviewed 31 January 2010

As a big fan of the Banyon tree in Phuket, Thailand it was incredible that the Banyon Tree was able to duplicate a resort with incredible service in Mexico which is not know for great service.
The spa staffed with a staff from Thailand was every bit as good as their well know spa in Thailand except about 18 Hours closer to NY . The villas with their private seluded pools were amazing . And finally their food was really great as well as the great ambiance. I have already rebooked this great resort for a 3 day stay over Valentines day As a well experienced high end traveler i believe that this is truly one of the most comfortable destinations for the high end traveler

1  Thank stevennj

Dear Valued Guest

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other readers.

Banyan Tree Mayakoba team has made a big effort of making an Asian haven in the Americas. Now there is the choice to enjoy another “Sanctuary for the Senses” just a few hours from New York.

I am glad we have met the expectations of such a well experienced high end traveler like you; and very proud that working humbly and very hard, we can reach one of our goals, which is to make our guests, repeat guests.

I really appreciate your review and it will be an honor for us to welcome you back this weekend for Valentine´s.

Reviewed 31 January 2010

The Banyan Tree is a different world. Outstanding for couples, the ultimate in privacy. Each unit is its own villa with a courtyard, private pool, and outdoor, walled private bath, complete with candles in the wall. They've used trees, native plants, and walls to "hide" sightlines so that you cannot see into the courtyards of other units. Even the buildings themselves are partially hidden from the water by shrubs and trees, which makes the resort blend in with the surrounding landscape. Great for an anniversary or other special romantic celebration; we chose to celebrate our 25th anniversary there. Service was top notch; it's a great combination of the Mexican culture of hospitality and the Asian culture of unrelenting service and perfection. We are planning to return as soon as possible.

Mayakoba security is tight; we had no concerns about our safety. The Mayakoba development is a gated community with a system of canals, a golf course and two more hotels - the Rosewood and Fairmont. While we didn't stay at the Rosewood or the Fairmont, I did note that the Banyan Tree is much more private than the other two resorts. That's not to say anything against the other two resorts, but it did make me appreciate the feeling of utmost privacy that the Banyan Tree provides.

Here are some tips if you choose to stay at the Banyan Tree:
- Make your wishes known. The staff waits on you hand and foot, and they will make adjustments if you will make your desires known. For example, we noted that our villa had an unusual smell, and within 15 minutes the staff delivered a dehumidifier that took care of the issue.
- Use the tripadvisor website to find good deals on stays of three nights or more. We were able to find a stay three nights get two free deal with daily breakfast buffet, massage and $200 resort credit thrown in.
- Ask for a bike when you check in. It's a handy way to get around on the property.
- Food was superb, but very rich. My wife and I would each order an appetizer or salad and then split an entree. We would eat late morning and then in the evening, and we didn't get hungry. While as you might imagine the food is expensive, our breakfast was included in the package we bought, and sharing our entrees at dinner helped us manage our cost. Long story short, you get what you pay for, and we didn't mind paying for quality.
- When you find a good waiter or waitress at a particular restaurant, ask to be seated at their table when you return. They will learn your names and preferences and will be better able to make food recommendations and otherwise serve you.
- We enjoyed the boat tour, which they do twice a week. It's a good way to see the canals and wildlife and the other two resorts.
- When you want to experience a great end to a truly romantic evening, ask the staff to have your outside bath drawn while you are at dinner. There's nothing quite like returning from a sumptuous dinner only to soak in a warm bubble bath outside while you gaze at the stars with the one you love.
- Bring your vitamins; you'll need them!

1  Thank WalkingTree

Dear Valued Guest

We thank you immensely for taking the time to share your experience with others and for your gracious comments about our resort, service and associates.

In Banyan Tree Mayakoba, we tried to create an Asian atmosphere into the mysticism of the Mayan culture. Reading through your remarks, we can be positive that our efforts have been meaningful.

Thank you again for choosing Banyan Tree Mayakoba for such a unique occasion as your 25th Anniversary.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 28 January 2010

I just returned home from the Banyan Tree and have to say it was the best hotel experience that I have ever had. A friend of mine asked me what the difference was between your typical 5* hotel like a Ritz or Four Seasons and the Banyan Tree and the first thing that came to mind was that those 5* hotels are nice and luxurious places but the Banyan Tree is a total luxury experience.. The Villas, grounds, facilities and restaurants are all top notch but what truly makes this place special are the people that work there. Everyone we came into contact with could not help us enough us and they worked really hard to make us feel special. They all seemed to enjoy working at the Banyan Tree and seemed very genuine. I was impressed with hot the managers always seemd to be around and spent time talking to the guests and helping out their employees when they needed help. I wish I could remember all of the names of the people that we enjoyed talking to and provided great service from but there are too many names to remember like the sweet boy that drove us to the Fairmont and the guy that skippered the boat to the beach. A few names that I can remember that made our stay great include;
Alex and Jorge at the Beach/pool
Sara at the Beach Club
Ed in Food and Beverage
Otto at Oriente.

The Banyan Tree is a real gem and I can’t wait to return again.

1  Thank Chitown40

Dear Valued Guest

On behalf of Banyan Tree family, we wish to thank you for taking the time to share such gracious comments about your stay with us.

Thank you very much for placing Banyan Tree Mayakoba above such respectable competitors. We all work very hard to meet our guests´ expectations every day, and we will keep our efforts to provide a “luxury experience”.

I am sure Alex, Jorge, Sarah, Otto and Ed DiLuca will be pleased to read your comments, thank you on their behalf.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 23 January 2010

Here is the letter that I sent to Mr. Llamas (VP / Area General Manager)

Dear Mr. Llamas,

Simply put: The Banyan Tree Mayakoba was the BEST RESORT VACATION EXPERIENCE KAREN AND I HAVE EVER HAD! I say "Experience" because it wasn't just the upgraded Villa / Accommodations that made our vacation special. It was your staff that "could not do enough" to please us that made this vacation #1! I'm not quite sure how to write this note because I am sure that I will miss important parts of our stay and I could not possibly point out all of the wonderful people that deserve kudos. I assure you that while it may seem impossible, I am not exaggerating one bit about the service we received.

Even prior to our arrival, Yvonne helped me plan all of the arrangements for a "Romantic Intimate Moment" and she made recommendations for dinner, ECO Boat Tour and the Spa. Once we arrived, Myra greeted us and made us feel at home during check in, even giving us a brief tour by boat prior to arriving at our room. Our Villa was exquisite and private with our own swimming pool and hot tub. The Villa itself was magnificent. My wife fell in love with the bathroom and island sinks. We loved both the steam and outside showers / bath. The first night we went for dinner at Tamarind. We met the manager, Christian Roth and told him that we wanted to go upstairs for a drink first. He actually escorted us to the bar. He bent over backwards for us when we returned for dinner. On Saturday we were signed up for the Eco Boat Tour. We actually went to the wrong place for the tour.......we missed it.......until Adrian gave us a private tour. Unreal! No one ever said, that something was too much trouble our entire trip! Adrian gave us the Eco Tour like we were a part of his family. On Saturday evening Yvonne had us set up for dinner at Saffron. We had the "Moonlight Table. It was there that we met Sompong, the manager. I have never met anyone who takes as much pleasure as Sompong does to make other's happy. He made recommendations for dinner and drinks. Initially, I had asked for a dirty martini with stuffed blue cheese olives. I was told that it would be "no problem." However, they would have to go to another restaurant to get the blue cheese and it would take about seven additional minutes. I responded by asking for Sompong for another suggestion. After Karen and I finished our drinks, the waiter came over with 2 new drinks......on the house......YES.....one was my dirty martini with stuffed blue cheese olives. Sompong then told us they he had a surprise for us. The next thing Karen and I knew we had a harp, clarinet and drum player directly in front of us playing THREE romantic songs. As this was happening Sompong Spielberg video tapped the "EXPERIENCE." Oh yes, the food was GREAT TOO! While we were out, Yvonne had our room decorated with rose petals leading up to and into our bed. In addition, the bath was poured with bubbles and salts included. The final touch was the chocolate and honey in covered dishes waiting for us on the tub along with a bottle of champagne.

Like I said, my words can't do your resort justice. I can describe the beautiful restaurants, accommodations, spa, bikes, buggy transportation and their drivers.......but it's the experience.....the Asian / Mexican influence that someone has to witness first hand to fully understand.

On Sunday we had a "In Villa Mexican Barbeque. It was something that once again I have never experienced. Ivan took care of all of the details. In addition to cooking for us, he brought the IPOD out from our room and created atmosphere using both music and his special personality.

Karen and I loved the Rainforest Experience at the Spa. Very relaxing and in a beautiful setting. In addition, I had 2 massages (1 couples massage). Both very relaxing and unique. I particularly liked my Thai Classic Massage given by a therapist from Thailand.

Finally, while I know that the service we received is what Banyan Tree is all about, it's really all a reflection of you because you manage and lead your team. I would be remiss, if I did not give you my ultimate compliment.

I am posting this letter on the Trip Advisor. I want to share our experience.

Rob Kofsky

2  Thank Flyerssignguy
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, Vice President - Area General Manager (Mexico) at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2010

Dear Mr. Kofsky

As I have emailed you privately, I really appreciate your comments.
It will be my pleasure to welcome you back.

Best regards,

Pancho

Reviewed 22 January 2010

My husband and I are finishing our stay at Banyan Tree. We decided to book the round trip transportation which was a great start to our stay. Water and quiet music made the journey fly by (it only took us 35 minutes). Everyone goes out of their way to welcome you and to make sure all of your expectations are not only met, but exceeded. Today, I had two minor problems which were swiftly addressed and remedied to my complete satisfaction. I even received a follow up phone call from our "resort hostess" to apologize. Way to go Banyan Tree!

1  Thank bluehon

Dear Valued Guest

On behalf of Banyan Tree Mayakoba family we wish to express our deep gratitude for taking the time to share your experience with others.

We are very conscious that we have created a wonderful “Sanctuary for the Senses” and it could not be perfect without the professional team who is totally committed to deliver the finest service and most genuine care to our guest.

We are more than happy to know that your stay with us has been so enjoyable to deserve your preference and recommendation.

We look forward to hosting you soon at Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 22 January 2010

I am going to make this short and sweet!....I am so happy we picked this place for our honeymoon! I loved everything about this hotel.... great food, quiet, clean, modern, private,new,excellent service, great spa, easy access to airport. You will not go wrong.!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest

I would really like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others.

Banyan Tree Mayakoba vision is being a sanctuary for the senses to provide an environment of sensuality and romanticism for the couples; it is very satisfactory to know that we became the scenery of such a unique occasion in your life.

We look forward to celebrate with you your 1st anniversary, please contact me personally and we will arrange something special for your future getaway.

Best Regards,