Banyan Tree Mayakoba
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
  • Beachfront
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
2,306 results
All reviewsprivate poolrainforest experienceoutdoor bathtubeco toursaffron restaurantsands restaurantin villa diningla coparesort hostreflections poolsanctuary pool villabreakfast buffetvilla bbqbuggy driversbuggy servicegolf cartbeach club
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 April 2010

My partner and I stayed at the Banyan last November 2009 and stayed in the GARDEN POOL VILLA. The pictures on the website are exactly what you get! And the service from the second you drive into the resort is comparable to service you get at high end hotels in the USA (ie Ritz, Wynn Encore, Waldorf, W, etc) which after traveling Mexico, I know is hard to find, even when it's advertised......

GREETING-
Smooth, Relaxing, Great!
ROOM-
Cannot say enough! HUGE room with doors that open on all sides for views of the Lagoon or the Pool, your PRIVATE pool that you can dangle your feet in from the Bedroom, while sipping a Margarita...unheard of. Bathroom great! LARGE, HUGE walk in closet! and outdoor soaking tub with gorgeous stone wall fitted with candles. Like nothing I've ever seen before!
BEACH-
Great! People always complain about beach conditions etc as if it is the hotels fault, but that's mother nature kids! The beach here is beautiful and the service is amazing. Tell them where you want to sit and they set up beach chairs and towels for you , then bring over iced water and cold towels. Throughout the day, they would bring amuse-bouches out that were refreshing!!!!!!
FOOD-
Breakfast buffet....Amazing!
All restaurants were good, expensive, but good.
Saffron is the best, sitting out over lagoon cannot be beat!

We got bikes to get to and from the beach and it was great. A quick 5 minute ride over the bridge, through a jungle and there you are....in paradise at the beach!
The grounds are amazing, clean, well kept, modern.
Absolutely unbelievable!!!!!
SOOO good, that we are going back in June with friends and booked the 2 bedroom!
Twice in one year, that's how good it was!!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Spencejonesy
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2010

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Banyan Tree family, we wish to thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us.

I really appreciate your review and we are honored to be compared with such recognized hotels in the USA.

Our goal is to make our guests, repeat guests. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much that you have already booked a Two Bedroom Pool Villa for June. It will be an honor for us to welcome you back soon and hopefully very often.

Please contact me personally prior your arrival. We look forward to hosting you soon to Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

Pancho Llamas
Vice President
Area General Manager
pancho.llamas@banyantree.com

Reviewed 6 April 2010

There is no resort experience I have had to date (and I travel a lot) that comes anywhere close to that of the Banyan Tree. Everything about this place is amazing -- from the pickup at the airport (complete with scented, cold towels and chilled water) to the check in process where you sit on comfortable sofas, overlooking the lagoon, sipping a welcome drink, while your resort host gets your keys and escorts you to your room. The resort is beautiful -- clean, tranquil, amazingly lit at night and fun. The service is perfect. Every need is met before you ask for it and when you do ask for something they always respond with "my pleasure" and they mean it. Everyone knew my name and all of my children's names. Our "beds" were ready on the beach right where we wanted them every day and complimentary snacks, water and refreshing cold towels were abundant. We stayed in a three bedroom terrance residence. It couldn't have been nicer. We had beautiful views, fresh flowers were brought in and the space was always perfectly clean, well appointed and comfortable. Even my teenagers were happy to put aside their ipods and cell phones and take in the zen-like vacation experience. All restaurants were amazing -- fabulous breakfast buffet every day. Saffron -- the Tai restaurant was our favorite -- we went three times! Ambiance -- romantic and exotic -- food and beverage perfect, with Chef coming out to talk with us about how we would like items prepared and presenting us with several complimentary choices as a thank you. Spa experience was the best I had ever had (and I spa a lot). Again, a complimentary welcome spa drink, perfect services -- with lots of add-ons, such as foot bath, flowers, choice of balancing scents and music, relaxation time after service -- with tea and fruit. Try the unbelievable rainforest experience for only $38 US. I can't say enough about this resort, in fact, I almost didn't write a review because it is such a treasure I want to keep it all to myself, but that wouldn't be fair to all of those at Banyan Tree who work so hard to make this a luxurious, unforgettable experience. I booked for next year after the second day of my 10 day stay. If you crave unprecedented service, stunning views, and fun experiences that reconnect you with family (such as riding bikes or taking buggies and boats as transportation around the resort), this is the place for you. Take the free eco tour boat ride -- you will feel as if you are on the Amazon -- you see birds and crocodiles and cenotes and flowers. Golf great too. I can't say enough about this resort. It was a perfect, perfect, perfect experience in EVERY way.

2  Thank luvtogo4
Reviewed 5 April 2010

Villas: A
We stayed in a Courtyard Villa. I would recommend this as the minimum room category for anyone staying at BTM during the colder winter months. The villa pools are not heated and were too cold for swimming except for a brave and quick dip in the water, so the hot tub was a nice addition. There are no hot tubs in the base category room, the Garden Villa. The other way this room differs from the Garden Villa is the addition of the pavilion. We enjoyed having this space for being able to quietly make coffee in the morning, as I tend to wake up earlier than my husband. It was also useful for in-villa dining, because the messy dishes were not left in your bedroom area.

Food: B+
The breakfast buffet is amazing, and definitely on par with the one at the Ritz in Cancun. It's much larger than the buffet at the Rosewood Mayakoba, in terms of sheer quantity of selection. Other than breakfast at Oriente, we only ate at lunch and dinner at Sands, Saffron, or via in-villa dining. All of those places have plenty of vegetarian options, and I never got bored with the food even though we stayed for eight days.

Our main challenge in terms of food was that dinner options seemed too fussy and formal for us. We were typically exhausted after a full day in the sun and we didn't feel like sitting through a multi-course fine dining experience. We often wished that we could just order a light meal or snack at the lobby bar. Also, I know it's Mexico (and not Italy), but the pizza needs to be reconsidered. It quite honestly looked and tasted like Lean Cuisine pizza. The Ritz in Cancun has amazing wood fired pizzas, and although that might not be possible in the BTM kitchens, there is certainly some room for improvement.

Service: A
Overall the service was great and what you would expect, although nobody brought us dry towels or some of the other things that I have read here. As much as I would like anticipation of my needs, I certainly don't expect it. If a five star resort can more or less offer me what I want, when I want (within reason), then I am happy. If I could make the service even better, I would do so by adding butler service to the villas so that there was one person to contact for any request. We sometimes didn't take advantage of the activities at the hotel because it was unclear who to ask or how to go about making a reservation - and the sun was shining, and the beach was calling!

Quiet/Seclusion: C-
Yikes! I am barely exaggerating when I tell you that children under the age of three outnumbered adult guests at the resort. Yes, I understand that we visited during a time when it was likely to be spring break somewhere. What was surprising to me was the number of infants and toddlers. One late afternoon when we were at the main pool (the only one that was heated), I looked over at the swim up bar and counted nine kids. I said to my husband, "Look, it's Happy Hour for the under three feet tall crowd!" Even when we spent the day at our villa pool we could hear children yelling and playing in nearby villas. And in case you were wondering, yes there were also kids in the beach pool.

Breakfast was especially bad with kids running around, crying, yelling, and even one day - running through the restaurant with silverware in their hands! We often felt like we had to eat as fast as possible, because it was not a relaxing environment. Also, the one evening that we went to Saffron (which we adore - order a Ginger Lagoon - yum!) a table was seated near us with two kids young enough to need high chairs. For me, that was liking taking a baby to dinner at Top of the Hub, or whatever your town's "go to" romantic dining establishment might be.

I know that kids will be kids and I do love kids, but I was just a little surprised at the sheer number of them especially since the majority of them were under the age of three, couldn't swim, and were too young to ever be able to remember that they had vacationed in Mexico. I left wishing that Disney would open a five star resort so that these families would have somewhere age appropriate to vacation!

Summary
As you might be able to infer from this review we're not billionaires and we don't have kids. We love traveling and staying in five star resorts, especially beach destinations. We're 30-somethings that work hard and when we're on vacation we like to relax, eat delicious food, and experience excellent service. BTM fits our criteria perfectly, but I think we may have stayed there during an off week.

I would return to this resort, but probably only if we were traveling with a group of friends. If I was looking for a more quiet and intimate vacation I would probably choose a different resort. Of course, this is based only on my experience and it seems that our stay here was not typical.

Feel free to contact me with any questions!

Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank LuxuryTravelWorks
Reviewed 2 April 2010

We landed back in New York after a blissful week at Banyan Tree Mayakoba and miss it already.
We stayed in a 3-bedroom terrace villa, which was beautifully decorated with an Asian, Zen-style theme. A big living room on the middle floor, three bedrooms on the ground floor, a master with a king, an additional king and another with 2 twins, all with full bathrooms ensuite. On the top floor we had our smallish private pool, overlooking the golf course and a big lounging bed for sunbathing.
Service could not have been friendlier, all the staff tried incredibly hard to please and succeeded almost all the time.
The buffet breakfast was outstanding, perhaps the best I have ever had at a hotel, and the food at the 4 restaurants we tried was very good, albeit pretty fully priced.
The beach, reached via a 5 minute golf cart ride was gorgeous, with fantastically comfortable bed like beach loungers
The gym. though small, had great equipment and the spa services were great, with therapists from Thailand and Mexico. Although the spa service pricing was crazily high at over $200 including tax and service but before therapist's tip for a one hour massage - presented as 90 minutes as it includes 30 minutes relaxation with tea after the treatment.
All in all Banyan Tree Mayakoba now ranks as my favourite hotel in the world ahead of Amanpuri in Thailand, The Upper House in Hong Kong and Cliveden in England.

Reviewed 29 March 2010

Just got back from 4 nights and cannot say enough good things about this special resort. Lots more kids than I would have thought for a Banyan Tree which can be good or bad depending on what you are looking for. But given that every villa has a pool and there is plenty of privacy to be had on the beach, if kids are not your thing you can get away from them. Also the Tamarind restaurant is kid free for dinner.

Book the transportation from the airport through the hotel. Seamless and professional.

By far the biggest impression that my wife and I were left with was the genuine kindness of the staff. Everyone from maids to maintenance to waitstaff to pool attendants always had a smile and a yes to any request. From a baby gate to guard the stairs of the villa to a frying pan to warm the baby's food and everything in between. The Banyan Tree training must be amazing because I have never seen a staff this well trained and responsive in the Caribbean. Only thing even close is the Four Seasons in Costa Rica.

Food was consistently excellent. The Saffron thai restauraunt one of the best meals I can remember in a stunning outdoor setting. Imagine the bugs could get bad in summer so book one of the few inside tables in advance if bugs arent your thing. The beach restauraunt had a very interesting lunch menu and the Oriente breakfast buffet is fabulous with everything you could want for breakfast and then some very interesting mexican and thai additions. Tamarind for dinner was eclectic as advertised but overall a winner. I would eat at Saffron every night though.

Management was ever present and always stopping by to make sure everything was ok.

Only real beef I have with the whole stay is the 3 bed room villa. Like others have said there is a mustiness to the villa that may come from the limestone in the area but it is a nuisance that takes away from the experience. Also, the layout of the villa with all three bedrooms clustered downstairs makes it tough to have any privacy. Plus steep stairs are not very kid friendly and my pregnant wife struggled with them. No bathroom on the middle family room level is weird too. Upstairs pool area smaller than I imagined but my sister really enjoyed the privacy. Overall I think the 3 story villa is a good family option but you dont get the full benefit of the open pool centered layout of the other villas.

Biking around the property was fun but my bike was a bit beat up and could have used a tune up. I am sure if I had said something another bike would have been there in minutes.

Golf course was excellent. Only played front nine but conditioning was immaculate which again is very unusual for courses outside of the states.

My wife and sister raved about the spa. Apparently is set up without a central locker room so the whole experience is very private and intimate with no waiting around naked in a robe waiting for your name to be called. Both said their treatments and overall spa experience were best they have had.

Beach club is a bit of a ride from the main property but you get used to it. Buggies/carts are the price you pay at properties that dont just build vertically. Pool at beach small (as is main pool) but given that every room has its own pool it was never a problem getting a chair or service of any type. Great loungers at pool and on beach as comfortable as a bed. I walked down the beach and felt sorry for the folks at the Fairmont on crappy unpadded beach chairs.

Boat ride was cool. Driver very kind to my infant daughter and had her smiling the whole way. No one ever on the boat so it is like a private little cruise and the drivers will take you to their spots for wildlife if you request. Saw a baby croc that was pretty cool.

Overall very impressed and cannot wait to go back. This time with wife only though. Spent a lot of $$ so be prepared.

3  Thank goof87
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, Vice President / Area General Manager (Mexico) at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2010

Dear Valued Guest

We thank you immensely for taking the time to share your experience with others and for your gracious comments about our resort, food, spa, and associates.

I`m really overjoyed to read comments such as yours, where you state that you left our property “very impressed and cannot wait to go back”.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed all our restaurants, Tamarind, Saffron, Sands, and our famous breakfast at Oriente. Our Executive Chef, Matias Martinez, and our Food and Beverage Director, Ed Diluca, will be pleased to read your comments, thank you on their behalf.

Regarding your wife`s and sister`s remarks about our spa, I am glad they raved about it and they consider it the best experience they have had.

I`m looking forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba for a romantic getaway.

Pancho Llamas