“Perfection.......” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“Perfection.......”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

Needing to keep this review brief, it is difficult to do so. My husband and I had no true idea of what we would experience on our honeymoon. We travel extensively but don't stay in high-end 5-star resorts. But......it was our honeymoon so we decided to splurge.

In a nutshell, it was all we could desire and more. Our mouths dropped open as our private airport transport pulled onto the grounds. We had people greeting us right away - managing our check-in while sitting outside enjoying a delightful glass of juice. We were escorted to an electric buggy (golf-cart) and taken to our villa. It was magnificent!!!! Not to mention private. We were given a tour of the villa and amenities were pointed out. A newspaper would be available daily as well as a listing of the day's events on the resort.

From that point on, we enjoyed outstanding service (especially Alejandro at Oriente and Carlos at the beach and pool), beautiful surroundings and wonderful food! We sampled every restaurant on the premises (including In Villa Dining) and ate breakfast at Oriente every morning (their wide selection of fresh fruit was perfect each day). At no point did we feel alone, someone was always presenting themselves to offer help -- without ever being intrusive or crowding. All staff were pleasant and really seemed to enjoy their place of work. The grounds and villa were immaculate yet you never really ran into all the people you know were responsible for keeping it so. It was quiet and tranquil. We enjoyed the Rainforest and a few massages. The spa services were a well-rounded experience. The electric boatride through the canals to the beach was relaxing and beautiful.

It wasn't til toward the end of our week-long stay that we really started to uncover the philosophy behind Banyan Tree -- the investment in it's employees, local environment/culture and eco-friendliness. When we casually talked to some of the staff about it, all were eager to discuss and had glowing things to say. We felt even better spending our money in an area/to a business that was so conscious of the indigineous people and land.

All in all, it was an amazing experience that encompassed all the senses -- and soothed the mind. We have already been telling everyone we know about our honeymoon and how perfect it was! We defintely plan to return as well as visit other Banyan Tree establishments.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charlie12378

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2010

Hopefully, there will be more Banyan Trees in our future... we've been ruined. This was truly hospitality at it's finest. We stayed for 6 days at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba in August and were blown away by the staff, the place, and the amenities. From the moment we stepped out of the car, we knew that this place was special. Beautiful, airy, modern, romantic and luxe, we found our garden villa to me more than complete with it's private pool, swinging hammock, outdoor bathtub, view of the lagoon, and uber comfortable bed. We were steps from the fabulous breakfast at the Oriente (included in our reservation and generally one of the many highlights of our day) the quiet Reflections pool, and the top of the line spa. Whatever you do, try the rainforest walk!! When we were there, the spa was having a special- $20 per person for a 60 minute walk through. You go from rainforest shower, to sauna, to steam room, back to shower, to another sauna, to an ice rub... it was a bit like going through a human car wash, but so much fun!

We took advantage of most of the complimentary activities, all of which I would highly recommend, including the Mexican cooking class, the tequila tasting, the wine and tapas tasting (generous portions!), and the one hour long eco tour by boat through the lagoons with a naturalist guide. We did take two day trips- one to Cozumel for snorkeling, and another to Coba, the Mayan ruins, which included zip-lining, rappelling and swimming in a cenote. We enjoyed all of the activities, but it was always a little bit wistful to leave the Banyan Tree!

It was pretty amazing that most of the staff knew our names by the second day that we were there. From Zuleyka's friendly welcome and beautiful smile, to Alejandro, our waiter who bent over backwards to make our breakfasts phenomenal experiences every single day, to the attentiveness of Erik and Federico, the two managers at Tamarind and Oriente respectively, to Mariel's exquisite knowledge of tequilas, Rubi's gentle, sweet greeting as she watched me swim laps around the main pool before breakfast and Samuel's cheerful "whistle while you work attitude" as he transported us from one part of the resort to another, we felt like no stone had been left unturned. It wasn't just that these people are really good at what they do, it actually seemed like they loved it. In fact, Samuel actually told us that he will often take over the shifts of his colleagues because he loves work so much that he never wants to leave! I can't imagine never wanting to leave work. From all accounts, it does seem like the Banyan Tree Company treats it's employees well, providing good housing options, multiple meals a day, and training locals in the art of hospitality, so that they can develop skills and build careers. At the same time, we were impressed by all of the efforts the resort put into re-developing the surrounding nature preserve, educating it's staff in protecting the environment, and utilizing a green philosophy within the resort.

On the night of our anniversary, we had a delicious dinner at Tamarind, and returned to our villa to find candles aglow, rose petals strewn across the bed to spell "Happy Anniversary," and a bottle of Chilean wine chilling on ice! We don't even remember telling anyone that it was our anniversary. Just another example of how the staff here will go that extra mile.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank borabunny
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2010

My husband and I went to Banyan Tree to celebrate our 4 year anniversary in August (off season - very quiet, but extremely relaxing). We were there for 5 nights, which was a perfect get-away. We read all the reviews on TripAdvisor, and had high expectations. Banyan Tree certainly lived up to and surpassed the reviews we read online.

Transportation - we used cancunshuttle.com for transportation from the airport to the hotel. There are many options on the website, but we selected the VIP private car service. We drove in a very comfortable Suburan SUV, they provided bottled water, and drove very safely. Not sure the VIP upgrade was necessary, but it cost around $165 round trip (not bad!).

Take advantage of complimentary hotel activities - but sign up early. My husband took a tequila tasting class (I am pregnant so couldn't participate, but had a great time watching). We took a cooking class - and had a delicious lunch. We missed out on the wine and tapas, but heard it was great.

Spa - AMAZING! I had 2 spa treatments and they were out of this world - even if your treatment is 60 minutes - they provide an additional half hour of relaxation (but they're actually massaging you; so it's equivalent to a 90 minute treatment)! My husband did the rainforest walk and LOVED it (he's not typically a spa-goer).

Pools - besides our private pool (every villa has a private pool), we spent most of our time at the pool near the beach. My husband and I are "pool" people, but we like to be near the water - so this worked out perfectly for us. It's either a 10-15 minute walk from the lobby/breakfast, 5 minute golf car ride, 5 minute bike ride or 10 minute boat ride. After eating such large breakfasts every day - we opted to walk to the pool/beach.

Lunch - almost every day we had lunch by the pool/beach. There were lots of options, but I really like the veggie burger and fries (had it 2 times).

Dinners - we ate at all the Banyan Tree restaurants. They were all exceptional!! The food was fantastic and service was great. My husband and I didn't want to try Saffron (We like Thai food - but really wanted Mexican food since we were in Mexico). As a result - we saved Saffron for our last night, and we were both so happy we experienced it! We did the tasting menu - way too much food (only 1 person needs to get the tasting menu, the other person should order 1 entree). It looked like we barely touched a thing. I really wanted fajitas one night (at The Sands), and the chef was kind enough to make them for me (even though they weren't on the menu). Fantastic dinner! We also went to Rosewood one night, and had a delicious dinner at their casual pool restaurant (I think it's called Punta Bonita).

For future travelers - this hotel is highly recommended!

Thanks to everyone at Banyan Tree for making such a memorable vacation.

2 Thank MemorableVacations
Miami, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

We just came back from our visit to Banyan Tree Mayakoba to celebrate our 10th anniversary on August 12th and all I can say it was absolutely amazing. We spent the first 4 days at Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita in Puerto Morelos which is also incredibly nice and you can read our review of that hotel under that name. The good thing about spending time at both first class resorts is that it really allowed us to get good comparisons of both.

When we arrived at the Banyan Tree, we were totally floored of how beautiful and certainly how different it was from our previous resort. Upon arriving, we were shown a quick tour of the lobby area and quickly taken to our spa courtyard villa in one of the buggy’s, so basically we just had to sign a form in the lobby and that was the only check in process. We had seen man pictures of the rooms from the website/tripadvisor but it really didn’t compare to the beautiful view upon entering our villa. Everything was perfect, the bedroom, the wonderful and luxurioius bathroom, walk in closets (plus for my wife), the outdoor private tub. The kicker was the villa pool/hot tub and the attached living room/media room. There is no way to describe the whole villa arrangement and the vibe of the whole villa and resort. It was so tranquil and Zen-like, we felt at peace the moment we arrived. The beds were probably the most comfortable we have ever slept on, really they were that comfortable.

The breakfast buffet as many mention is incredibly delicious and totally first class. If you can’t find something to satisfy you here, then you simply weren’t meant to eat. The fruit, the pasteries, the eggs, the juices, the daily specialties, coffees and Mexican treats are unbelievably delicious and everything is super fresh. The only thing we didn’t try was the sushi but everything else was delicious. In addition, you can ask the waiter or the cooks to make you anything you could imagine and very likely you will have it on your table within 10 minutes.

The boat ride to the beach is simply beautiful and well worth it. While it takes 10 minutes longer than the Buggy to the beach, it is such a beautiful ride through the mangroves and such a special treat and part of the individuality of the resort, that I think you are missing a big part of the experience if you don’t try at least the boat ride once. We took it every time we wanted to go to the beach. The beach area is great, you come right onto the Sands building which like all other buildings at this resort is very Zen, beautiful and clean. The workers tend to you right away and set you up with beach chairs or pool chairs, whatever you prefert. The waiters will come by during the day with small free samples of the food at the Sands restaurant and the food there was fantastic. The Vuelve La Vida cocktail was the best I have ever had and my wife tried the fish tacos and the club sandwich during our stay which were also delicious. The pool is also very nice but we mostly laid out by the beach, there is some very good snorkeling about 200 meters out from the beach, I took the resorts kayak and the lifeguard told me where to go and had a beautiful snorkel session out there. Walking on the beach, you can see the other resorts such as the Starwood, Gran Velas, etc which all look fabulous as well. The beach and the sands here are incredibly soft and beautiful so I feel no beach connoisseur will be disappointed.

We also enjoyed one day at the upper pool by the lobby (forgot the name) which was really nice. This pool is much nicer/larger with plenty of little curves and alcoves to hang out in and also has a swim up bar. We were able to get chairs that are half in the pool and thoroughly enjoyed our day there, it was very quiet as only one other couple was there so we basically had this large area all to ourselves, with the bar tender and the pool help tending to us very nicely.

At dinner, we ate at Saffron and really enjoyed our meal, it was probably the best Thai we have ever eaten and the wine was really nice that they served us. The dessert was also great and although we ate outside and got bit a little by the bugs at the end, the outdoor ambiance and romantic lighting was truly a joy. However, hands down the highlight of our meals and of our stay was our in Villa Mexican Barbeque which we arranged for to celebrate our 10th Anniversary. Although there was a slight hiccup from the maids that day (which Banyan Tree made up for by comping us a bottle of wine for dinner) the whole set up was amazing. The lights in the Villa, the metal barbeque (hard to describe) the table set up, the complimentary cocktails, and specifically our waiter who both cooked the 5 course meal and also served us was amazing. We literally did nothing except walk into our villa at the appointed time and sat to have one of the best and most romantic dinners we have ever enjoyed. I STRONGLY recommend getting this in- villa dining experience, you will not be disappointed.

We also did a Spa session, my wife got the tender touch pregnancy massage and I had the Balinese massage, both in the same room and we both agreed it was the best massage we have ever had. The whole experience and set up was wonderful, but like other reviewers, I did miss a place to relax/hang out afterwards like other Spa’s seem to have. I would think they would allow you to enjoy a hot tub or steam/sauna but they don’t have this option, however we thoroughly enjoyed our spa and would definitely do it again.

We went into Playa del Carmen twice but sadly this is not the same Playa we have learned to love. It has officially been over commercialized and the small little delicious restaurants and high class Mexican souvenirs/art stores have sadly been replaced by tourist traps and stores selling mostly tourist junk. While we still enjoyed ourselves, I fear the Playa of old is long gone and the commercial reaches of Cancun have crept in.

Which actually made our stay in our Villa and at Banyan Tree even better, as we felt everytime we returned to our villa that we were returning to our sanctuary and used every bit of our villa. I cant say enough about the resort, the beauty, the villas. We were very satisfied with the Banyan Tree, will definatlely be recommending it to our friends and look forward to going back in the future.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank jfloMiami_FL
London,England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2010

I don't need to repeat what the majority of reviews say, it really is as good as that.
All you need to know is that I'm going back and bringing my teenage kids to show them how a hotel should be run,with great staff , wonderful location, outstanding rooms.
See you in December !

Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

We visited Banyan Tree August 8 -15. We were married on the 12th. It was the most fabulous vacation experience I have ever had. The staff was polite and courteous. Nothing seemed as if it was too much trouble. At the very least they tried to give you every thing you asked for if it was in reason. The villa's were amazing! We had a courtyard pool Villa ...The food was excellent... Our wedding was well executed and ran according to schedule. The decor was simple and tasteful ... not typical destination wedding decor. It was beautiful, almost like a "Platinum Wedding" for 6 people. The wedding here are a la carte. They have no wedding packages, everything is customizable. Which is great for picky girls like myself...The resort made a recommendation for the photographer; he was fun to work with, professional and I expect the pictures will come well. They anticipated our needs and gave us special surprises at dinner. They way they catered to our needs made us feel as if we were the only guests there. The customer service was outstanding. We are looking forward to returning to Banyan Tree for our anniversary!! I would highly recommend Banyan to those looking for personalized attention, luxury, relaxation, great food and spa. It's not a place to party hard and binge drink... I personally loved it and thought it was worth the money spent.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, 19 August 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

We really appreciate you took the time to write a review.

Hope your family enjoyed the wedding and the amazing sunset we had that day.

Our staff is always trying to create a memorable moments that will last forever and we are glad you could experience it on such an important day of your life.

We look forward to assist you during your 1st Anniversary at our Sanctuary for The Senses.

With kind regards,

Peter Hechler
Resident Manager
Bodrum
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

Amazing place to be. We had taken our time to visit the Banyan Tree in Mayakoba and we where stunned. We received a warm welcome at the entry of the Banyan Tree and received a personal guided tour by Mr. Peter Hechler, Hotel manager of the Banyan Tree. 2.5 hrs we spend at the Hotel. The Banyan Tree product is outstanding. Villas, Restaurants, Spa, etc. Our next vacation we will spend at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba for sure. If you are searching for a romantic hideaway, with a excellent product, this is the place to go. I would also recommend for Honeymooners and celebrities. This Banyan Tree is a secret hideaway.......:-))

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, 23 August 2010
Dear Mr. Thomas,

I really appreciate you took the time to write a review from the site inspection I hosted you a couple of weeks ago.
I am glad you liked our resort. Thank you for your recommendation.

I hope I can welcome you back as our guest in the near future.

With kind regards,