“breathe the open air, and re-charge”

Banyan Tree Mayakoba
Ranked #2 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 2 February 2011

This hotel is a budding star. The concept is brilliant. The Villas are huge and self contained. Outdoor bathtub, spa, pool, and great big lounge beds. Very clean. We were outside at all times - riding our bike to the ocean and sitting in our back yard, bathing in our outdoor tub. The messages and spa services are outstanding. The only drawback is the service - well intentioned but needs refinement. Responses to requests were usually really slow or flawed. All was done with the best intentions and a graceful smile - so it is hard to criticize them. I believe that with time, they will work out these kinks and this place is a winner. The food is adequate but could be better. Saffron is the only restaurant we really liked.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 February 2011

I would avoud this place like a plague, i had my room turned down the first night and as i left for dinner, i forgot something and when i walked back to my room i saw about 8-10 people in the bushes outside my balcony window and the turn down service inside.. They are all working together to clean out the rooms.
I had camera stolen and diving gear stolen. A watch and some other items.
The hotel takes guest to a fake police center that they control and help to cover up the crimes..
I would avoid this place even if you think it looks pretty and good.
Most of these other reviews are by their staff who post them..

• Stayed: September 2010
28  Thank Brockxerox
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2011

Dear Brockxerox,

Thank you for your posting but I do think that this is a misplaced comment as incident as described here has never happened.

Anybody bothered by this comments.

I would like to ask to get directly in contact with me.

Thank you.

Maximilian Lennkh
Vice President
Area General Manager
max.lennkh@banyantree.com

Reviewed 31 January 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights as a getaway from the kids. At first I was leery of staying in a villa that had no view of the ocean, but the vill was spacious, very well done and private - soon I realized I wasn't that bothered about the lack of an ocean view. The beds are super comfy with great linens. The bathrooms spacious and superbly appointed. The villa pool was beautiful, if cold (villa pools are not heated so in Dec., Jan., Feb. they can be quite chilly). And even the large outdoor space was very, very private. We stayed in a garden villa and it was great. I believe to be on the beach/have a beach view, you need to be in a 2 or 3 BR villa. Regardless, we loved the room. The short bike ride to the beach (along the golf course) was no problem - enjoyable, even.

The beach club seems a bit small for the property size, especially considering the large (and largely unused) pool by the main building. The staff at the beach club, as throughout the property, were great. In the mornings it was perfect: quiet and calm. In the afternoon, the pool area got a bit crowded, so we went down to the beach on some lounges and we were fine. Every so often, the staff would check on us and they were always available if you needed something.

The hotels in Mayakoba all have charging privileges with each other. One night we wanted seafood, so we took the complimentary shuttle to the Fairmont and had a nice meal outside on their patio. The breakfast buffet is very nice. And the staff there quickly learned our preferences.

We'll certainly go back. And we want to try the Acapulco property as well. After this first stay, consider us Banyan Tree fans.

The service was outstanding, always available, but never infringing.

Reviewed 29 January 2011

First of all, it is cold in December and January in the Riviera Maya. Be aware that if you are visiting at this time. you should pack accordingly. There are no heaters in the outdoor restaurants which make for a chilly evening if you brave the elements. This is also important to keep in mind regarding the pools in the villas----they are cold!

That said, the rooms are excellent. They are truly top notch although you have to accept that they have no view of the beach. They are very private and spacious which is the main attraction.

I liked the resort but have two important complaints. The first is that the dining options for dinner are too limited. I realize that Saffron is the BT signature restaurant but I don't want Thai food on my beach vacation, I want seafood! We had to go to the Fairmont one night just to get seafood. We ate at Tamarind one night and were underwhelmed. There were no other options at night which was disappointing. If I come to the beach it would be nice to be able to dine somewhere with an ocean view (and heaters in the cold weather).

My second complaint concerns the beach club. It is simply too small. During our stay, the hotel was 50% full and the beach club was packed. The tiny pool was full of babies and groups---nothing tranquil or relaxing about it. There is no excuse for not utilizing more of the precious beachfront for a larger beach club. Given that the rooms have no beach access/view whatsoever, the beach club is the only option to enjoy the beach. It is not open for dinner so the fact that it is overcrowded and overrun during the day is evidence of poor planning.

This was a great long weekend for us but it isn't perfect. If you fully understand the shortcoming going in, you will enjoy your stay. Otherwise you may be disappointed.

3  Thank SdlT
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2011

Dear SdIT,

I wish to thank you very much your feedback in regards to your experience with us over the recent days.

I am very sorry that the dining options here did not find your approval and that you found them limited.

The great advantage however in the development of Mayakoba is that it is an integrated resort where we have 3 hotels, to which we provide free dinner shuttle service, and where you can charge your bill to the hotel room where you are staying. So in the end we offer within the Mayakoba development more dining options than any other hotel.

The beach club is a little bit set back from the beach and is designed in such a way that we maintain a maximum of natural beach area, as most clients do come for the beach. We also try to be as little as possible invasive to the nature and it is our aim to maintain and preserve as much as possible a natural environment.

I am very sorry that you did not find our facilities to your expectations and I do hope that our other services where up to your satisfaction.

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable Banyan Tree experience.

Best Regards,

Maximilian Lennkh
Vice President
Area General Manager
max.lennkh@banyantree.com

Reviewed 26 January 2011

My new husband and I were married in Riviera Maya earlier this month. At the last minute, we decided to extend our stay in Mexico and head to a different resort after the big day. We chose the Banyan Tree mainly because of the appeal of a more private, relaxing type of environment than the larger resort we chose for our wedding.

From the minute we arrived, the service was impeccable. Yunita greeted us with cool towels and refreshments as we checked in. As we arrived earlier than check-in time, she escorted us to the beach to relax until our villa was ready. We were there just long enough to enjoy a cocktail and enjoy some sunshine when we were notified that our villa was ready.

THE VILLAS
We chose a Courtyard Villa for our three day stay. It was beautiful. Wonderfully appointed with a lounge area separate from the master bedroom. Private pool and jacuzzi as well. With the amazing room service, there was absolutely no need to leave our villa.

THE SPA
Very accommodating - fantastic, relaxing, a must do. We did not experience it firsthand, but The Rainforest was unlike anything I had ever seen before. We chose the Thai Detox Treatment and it was phenomenal!

OVERALL
The food, the service, the staff - everything was impeccable. I would recommend this for anyone looking for a quiet and relaxing private getaway.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 January 2011

We went with small children and they were very relaxed at the kids club. The pool at the beach is 90 and the kids loved it. The breakfast buffet is amazing and you should include it in package. Saffron is a very good thai restaurant. Seemed like most went to Playa at night.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I am not going to write a long review for this resort as other reviewers have covered most aspects in detail; I will honestly just say- book it! It is a slice of Asian luxury in Mexico, and it works perfectly! My husband and I visited during Thanksgiving weekend when the resort was at capacity, but it still felt secluded and private. The pro of going then- not a single bug/mosquito; the con- the private pool was too cold to use. Once the resort converts the pools to heated, it is an incredible winter getaway, and not far from the east coast at all given direct flights into CUN.
So, if you are considering the hotel, just book it and enjoy!

Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple