“Great diving, friendly, knowledgeable staff and guides”
Review of Phocea Mexico

Phocea Mexico
More attraction details
Owner description: Come and share our passion... these words perfectly reflect the atmosphere at Phocea : First of all, for us diving means pleasure (the pleasure to discover its underwater treasures), professionalism (we dive with the highest safety standards) and a great atmosphere (being serious doesn´t mean it can´t be fun). Come to discover Mexico, a country with a rich culture, ancient traditions, magic places and friendly people. The Yucatan peninsula enjoys a tropical climate, that allows you to dive all year long, in warm waters, with excellent visibility. The water temperature ranges from 79°F and 84°f in the sea, depending on the season and 75°f all year long in the cenotes.Martine, Didier and their French-Mexican team, welcome you to offer you the best of Phocea.
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Thanks for great dives off Cozumel and Playa del Carmen! My boyfriend and I were referred to Phocea for our Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen dives. We worked with Camille to arrange our schedule before travelling to Mexico. Ernesto guided us at Santa Rosa Wall and Paradise Reef while visiting Cozumel. We saw stunning, vibrant corals and many other creatures- several turtles, lobster, trigger fish, bearded fish, an octopus and more while visiting Cozumel. We had John Paul leading us on our second day of diving off Playa del Carmen at Punto Venado and Jardin where we saw several turtles, lion fish, a couple types of moray eel, two types of rays, cleaner shrimp, puffer fish and more. Both guides, as well as the other guides in our group who helped run the trip were knowledgeable and friendly-- and tri-lingual!
Phocea provided a tasty lunch, snacks, juice, soda and water during our two tank dive at Cozume. They also provided water and snacks during our two tank dive at Playa del Carmen.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"an amazing experience"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 26 February 2014

They run their shop like a well oiled machine and are attentive to the customers needs. The on,y thing I found peculiar was their resistance to leering me rinse off my camera. They insisted I do it across the street in the pool.

1  Thank Tony F
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I recently completed my open water certification with Phocea and was extremely impressed with the shop. They were able to answer all my questions and concerns and made my first dive experiences a lot of fun. It was a great pleasure to work the team. My instructor, Michael, was very attentive and really went the extra mile because he wanted to see me become a better diver. He wasn't just going through the motions. After my cert, I was able to go on two dives in Cozumel which were also excellent. I was thoroughly prepared for those despite having just finished my certification. The dives were all amazing and when I am back in Playa, I will definitely dive with Phocea again.

2  Thank Chris V
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I have taken my IDC and MSDT training and passed my IE with PADI in this 5 star PADI CDC center, being trained by a Platinum PADI Course Director, who has been awarded an Excellence prize for a 5th year in a row! And no wonder why! (just to let you know, Phocea will reimburse your IE fees if you fail). Phocea Mexico truly deserves its fame and recognition for training instructors; in a nutshell:
Very high level of teaching and excellent pedagogy using all PADI supports - extensive staff experience. Very encouraging staff, always available during the (long!) days of the IDC. Training performed in pools, cenotes and the sea. Excellent logistics and organization. The diving center and classrooms are conveniently located next door to, and within the Phocea-run hotel, respectively (and 2 min walk from the beach); facilities always available to study/work with your buddies.

Last but not least: I was in a group of 7 instructor candidates with completely different backgrounds and levels of experience; the excellent and friendly spirit allowed us to work hard (and play hard!) while benefiting from everybody's experience - eventually leading to 100% IE success.

Excellent levels of English, French and Spanish. What else could you ask for?

1  Thank Jibe_1000
See more reviews
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I took the Open Water Certification class with Phocea Mexico Cozumel in November 2013 and I received from PADI the certification card within one week after. I t was a great pleasure to work with this team. They are highly professional divers and very good instructors making you to assimilate everything easy and making you to feel relaxed and safe during diving. The entire team is very courteous and very friendly beginning with lady from desk, dive instructors and boat crew. The rental equipment used during class is of a high quality and instructors helped me to select the right size and with adjustment. I highly recommend this team to anyone. I will return this year to take the advanced open water class.
Mike S , mechanical engineer