“Great Location”

Ranked #145 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Presidente Prudente, SP
“Great Location”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The place looks exactly like the pictures! The rooms are very clean, the bed is big and very confortable. Travel to playa with girlfriend and another couple, and the location was excellent, close to a lot of restaurants, and all the action at 5 av. Our rate did not have the breakfast included but the hotel staff was helpfull giving us tips about places to eat. They did have discount for some of the beach clubs around the area and they were all very cool! They provided beach towels and called a taxi when we needed. They have a nice coffe machine in the room, where we were able to make expresso every morning. Overall it is a great boutique hotel in the middle of the action that i would recommend to anybody and would go back. The cons is the lightning in the rooms, which are really dark, and the fact that it does get a little loud because of the street but nothing that bother my (heavy) sleep, it depends on each traveller, but I rather deal with the noise and be in a good location than have to take taxis or buses to get to the action.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Blanca B, Director General at Hotel El Punto, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Hola Dear Mr. Fizzolla and thank you so much for taking time to write your experience in our Boutique Hotel El Punto. It was a pleasure and we are pleased to hear that you had a fantastic stay with us. We are truly looking forward to host you and your friends again in the near future. We remain at your service and once againt thank you for choosing us!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Avon
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Hotel el Punto is fantastic! We recently stayed for our honeymoon. Yes, it was loud due to the upstairs bar and mostly the mariachi bands in the street ....but nothing a little melatonin couldn't fix! (I was even ill the whole trip and got plenty of sleep) I highly recommend the upgrade for a room with a balcony. We spent most of our time in the hotel on the balcony. My only complaint is that we could have used much more of the coffee every day because it was so good!

The staff was really nice and the rooms were really clean. It was a very comfortable stay. Also - I must mention the artist that displays his work in the hallways....I fell in love with a turtle painting that I passed several times a day. Oh- and La Azotea was great both times we went.

If it is your first trip to the area, this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Room 29 is the top Balcony on the corner of the hotel. It is loud because of the Disco and Mariachi...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Hola Mrs. Julia and thank you so much for taking a minute to write a review about your experience with us. For our staff was a pleasure to have hosted you and we are happy to hear that overall you had a fantastic stay with us. We truly hope to host you again for your anniversary and thank you for choosing our boutique Hotel El Punto. We remain at your service!
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 23 April 2013

PROS: The place looks almost exactly as pictured: small, quaint, clean rooms. The deal I got from Groupon on a 4 day, 3 night stay was a steal. Complimentary full breakfast at Mi Pueblo restaurant across the street; complimentary/discounted beach loungers at Mosquito, Zensi, and Wiki Beaches. They do expect you to spend $20 USD while using their loungers, though. Beaches are short walking distance; Mosquito is the closest and the nicest. The rooftop lounge, La Azotea, is phenomenal! Wish I had spent more time there, the views and ambiance are fabulous and the drink specials comparable to what's on 5th Avenue. LOCATION-right off of 5th Avenue in the thick of the action (this can be seen as a negative as well). STAFF-Julio (front desk) was helpful for the most part although I did feel like I was bothering him at times when I'd go to ask for the breakfast card for Mi Pueblo, or a beach towel (he was preoccupied by the internet). He warmed up as the days passed. Lula- No comment. Jose- pleasant until check out; more on that later. Blanca (manager)- only met her very briefly in passing to resolve a billing issue. Staff at Mi Pueblo and La Azotea were courteous and attentive. FREE WIFI :)

CONS: If you are a light sleeper or are going to the hotel specifically to relax, avoid rooms 21 and 22. Avoid the top floor all together. I was placed here in spite of a request to be on a lower floor and it gets VERY LOUD as the rooms are right under the rooftop bar. The rooms also face 5th Ave, so you will hear ALL the noise from the street once the action starts at night. Fortunately I was too tired from the day to be agitated by this but I can see how this would be a major issue for someone else.

The reservation process needs improving tremendously. This was a thorn in my side for what was supposed to be a relaxing trip. NOTE: The only means to book your rooms to date are via email or calling them internationally. One is not secure and the other would be very expensive. I had to email my credit card info to secure the room, and was told that it was for my roundtrip transportation, to cover taxes not included in the Groupon deal, and incidentals. The transportation (independent from the hotel) company deducted my fee a month before my trip, more about that later. When I got to the hotel I was asked to pay the taxes in cash, which was $40 USD. I asked them to deduct it from my credit card that they had on file and they refused. $40 isn't much but it put an unexpected dent in my spending money and was largely inconvenient. The room was paid in full prior to arrival, I had no incidentals, the transportation was prepaid, and they made me pay taxes in cash. So, my credit card info is basically sitting in a large binder (yes, a binder, on paper.) for what purpose?? Well when I asked Lula, she stated that it was "in case I was a no-show". Again though, the room was already PAID IN FULL prior to my arrival from the Groupon deal. The no-show excuse makes no sense to me.

TRANSPORTATION- My advice: book your transportation separate from the hotel so that you don't have to deal with being harassed about paying again. Blanca emailed me the transportation rates for Lomas Travel: $43 USD roundtrip from Cancun airport per person in shared vehicle. Lomas charged my card accordingly. During my stay, Lulu stops me on my way to the beach to let me know I need to pay...again. She indicated that the $43 was only one-way and that I actually owed $86. I kindly pulled up the emails that I received from Blanca confirming my transportation with Lomas, in addition to my bank statement showing the deduction. She wasn't trying to hear it. She then said "oh the rates can change at any time." Okay, so which one is it? EL PUNTO sent me the rates in the first place. So why wasn't I notified of all these changes in advance? No worries, this was the one day that I actually saw Blanca, who quickly rectified the situation...or so I thought. Imagine my surprise when I am asked at checkout by Jose to pay my airport transfer fee, you guessed it, IN CASH, AGAIN. Rather than updating "the binder" to reflect that I had already paid after what I’d previously endured, Lulu simply scratched out "$86" and put "$43". Again, I overlook it and pull up the confirmation email/bank statement to show that I've done what I needed to do. Again, he wasn't hearing it. This time Blanca was no where to be found. He and I had an unpleasant exchange where he was adamant that Blanca and Lulu TOLD him about the situation from the previous day, and that I still needed to pay... IN CASH. Their insistance that everything be paid in cash, despite having credit card info on file, is highly suspect. Luckily, the van from Lomas arrived soon after and carted me off without further incident and, to date, without an additional charge on my account. That is the ONLY thing keeping me from rating this place less than I did. Both incidences occurred in front of other guests and both were unpleasant, unnecessary and embarrassing. This was completely avoidable and a terrible way to end an otherwise pleasant trip to Playa. El Punto has a lot of potential but it also has A LOT of improvements in organization to work on.

All-in-all, I think I will stick with the resort hotels and hotels that I am familiar with. In the end, as much as I tried, there were just too many unnecessary inconveniences to overlook for me to return here. I have been to the Riviera Maya region four times and it is by far one of my favorite destinations. Fortunately, there are plenty of other highly rated hotels to choose from.

Room Tip: AVOID THE ENTIRE TOP FLOOR IF YOU CAN...LOUD! Specifically rooms 21 and 22. If you don't mind th...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank WestCoast_Peach
Blanca B, General Manager at Hotel El Punto, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Dear Miss Lakeisha. Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. For us is truly a shame that your entire stay was ruined by a mistake that could happen to any hotel. We apologize for the confusion regarding your transportation. Regarding taxes to be paid in cash upon arrival, is previously written in your confirmation and agreed by yourself before your arrival. On the other side, I'm glad you enjoyed the location, room, breakfast and other amenities given and we remain at your service.
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I stayed at El Punto from April 7 - 12 and I have no real complaints. Staff were very helpful and gracious with any questions I had. There were no issues with my room - 26. Very stylish and large king bed. It would have been nice to to have a baclony but I new I wasn't going to be in the room that much so it wasn't a big deal. The art in stairwells were fantastic and if I had the means to get some home, I would have purchased one or two. The hotel is a great location, central location and not far from anything on 5th that you may be looking for.

I knew of the bar/restaurant/lounge on the roof but sadly didn't make it there until later in my trip. My fault completely and when I stay here again I will take advantage of it.

So here are my two quirks and they are small. The door to the room I feel could be a bit more solid so as to block a bit more of the sounds from the rooftop bar. I didn't mind is so so much but I can see how it might with others. And the electronic safe isn't secured to anything. Yes it would be obvious for staff to be walking around with a safe but I feel it still should be secured some way or another. That's it, my two cents worth.

I am glad I chose this hotel for my stay this time around and I will definately choose it again.

Room Tip: Room 26 - no view.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Blanca B, General Manager at Hotel El Punto, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Hola dear Wannabe Bora Bora, first of all thank you so much for taking a minute to write your experience of our Boutique Hotel El PUNTO. We are extremely pleased that you had a fantastic time and we will certainly consider your points of improvement. We are looking forward to host you again soon! We remain at your service. Best Regards;
Chicago
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We absolutely loved this hotel. Chic little boutique hotel smack in the heart of Playa del Carmen. The room was nice, bed was a 7 out of 10, and the rooftop bar (La Azoteca) was outstanding....To be honest, the bar may have been our favorite in all of Playa (I may write a seperate review for the bar and restaurant, as we couldnt get enough of it)
Only negatives that I have to mention, are the rooms could have used a little touch up paint (especially in the bathroom) and the doorknob to the room was falling apart. I didnt really care about the doorknob, as there was a digital safe in the closet. Also, there is no parking, but the police station is about 4 blocks northeast, and there is plenty of safe overnight parking outside the station.
Bottom line, if you are looking for something a little cooler than the standard chain hotel / all inlclusive, definitley check this place out...the price is outstanding as well (we paid about $150/night through hotels.com)

Room Tip: ask for a room with a balcony...the street action below is fun to watch
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BfromChicago
Blanca B, General Manager at Hotel El Punto, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Thank you so much for your kind comments. We are pleased to hear that overall you had a pleasant stay with us. Your comments for improvement have been taken in consideration and we have done the maintenance required in the bathroom and other details that needed to be fixed in order to ensure that future clients are pleased with their stay 100%. We appreciate your time and we are looking forward to host you again soon in the near future. We are always at your service!!
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2013

My husband Russ and I spent 2 weeks ( Feb.17 - Mar. 3) at Hotel El Punto and loved it! The staff were very nice and accommodating, especially Blanca Bertely, she is amazing. We had room 11 and it was very nicely furnished, clean!, and the bathroom was very nice. Loved having the espresso maker in the room, a real life saver in the mornings! Maid service was top notch. Loved the free breakfast across the street at Mi Pueblo, food was yummy. Location to beach was only a 3 min walk. The rooftop lounge/bar and restaurant was great. We loved staying on 5th Ave and the central location of this hotel was perfect. We will definitely stay here again, hopefully very soon.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Blanca B, General Manager at Hotel El Punto, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Hola dear Shelley and Ross!!! Thank you so very much for your kind comments. Was a real pleasure having you both staying at our hotel and I loved the flowers! I truly hope we can welcome you again soon in the near future. I remain at your service and good luck with your business projects!! :)
Melbourne
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Lovely little boutique hotel in the heart of the action in Playa and a tiny one block stroll from the beach. Staff were very friendly and were always happy to answer our questions about things to do in the area. The rooms were clean and very well appointed and the rooftop bar was great for when we were hungry or wanted a drink but didn't want to go looking for a restaurant/club. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Hola dear Rebecca and thank you for your kind comments! For us was a pleasure hosting you and we are really pleased to hear that you had a fantastic time with us. We are looking forward to host you again in the near future. We remain at your service! :)