We tend not to like big resorts and wanted a self-catering option, so we chose Maya Villa based on Tripadvisor recommendations. We were not disappointed. The property was lovely: well-run, with friendly staff, and very secluded and calm despite being just a block away from bustling 5th Avenue). We booked room 406, which was on the top floor and had its own private roof terrace with a hot tub, grill and lovely sitting area. (In fact we only used the roof terrace a couple of times, but it was nice to be able to invite another family for a barbecue up there.)
Maid Viki kept our room very clean, and the kids loved swimming in the lizard-shaped swimming pool with its waterfall. One slight disappointment was that, lovely as the pool was, it was rather small and we weren't allowed to use the pool at El Taj, the sister property that includes the Indigo Beach Club. (Next time I might consider booking at El Taj, which has comparable condos.) But this is a fairly minor point as we were very active during the days and had other swimming opportunities at Xel-Ha, Xcaret and Rio Secreto.
For breakfast, guests can either have the breakfast buffet at Indigo Beach Club or an a la carte breakfast at Imprevist, the restaurant in Maya Villa. I'd strongly recommend Indigo unless it's really windy. The buffet was great and you also get a choice of a hot dish, whereas Imprevist had slow service and the food was average. All in all this was a great experience and a wonderful home base from which to explore many of the family-friendly activities that the Yucatan has to offer. Only one final tip: unless you're a beach freak or do water sports I wouldn't recommend going to Blue Venado, the beach club that has a relationship with the Condohotel properties. We did this one day and regretted it. The waves on the beach were too rough for our kids, and the beach club was very basic. It didn't include towels, so we didn't have any as we'd assumed they'd be provided. Once there we were kind of stuck and felt obliged to have lunch in the overpriced restaurant. It's quite pretty and secluded, but it wasn't for us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Immerse yourself in a unique combination of modern luxury and Mayan magic at this exquisite condo hotel located steps from the white sand beach. Seventeen spacious condominiums are nestled among lush vegetation that make this condo hotel your own tropical oasis. The condominium is surrounded by Mayan art, handcrafted by the region's most talented Mayan artists. Enter trough the great Mayan arch, and find yourself in the midst of greenery, cascading waterfalls, and a sparkling heated pool made of jade-colored and gecko-shaped mosaic and glass that give it the name of Jewel of Playa. Some of the penthouses offer amazing views of the Caribbean sea which is just half of a block away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Maya Villa Condo Hotel & Beach Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maya Villa Condo Hotel And Beach Club
- Maya Villa Condo Hotel & Beach Club Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen