It saddens me to write this review because this hotel had so many strengths and most of the people there were so nice, BUT I am just left with a bad taste in my mouth about this place. However, the hotel room was so gross that when we got home I emptied out our luggage outside my house in fear of bringing ants, cockroaches, and who knows what else into our place. Also, our clothes just smelled of horrible, stale wetness. The main reason why I am writing though is because we had a bill disagreement on charges of $70…not a lot of money, but it was the principle of the matter that they refused to waive $70 worth of resort fees after we stayed there for a week (over $3,000)
- Animals in Wall! During the day my husband went back to the room and heard scratching noises between the walls and on ceiling. He called the front desk to tell and they said they would have someone come out. He went back to swimming and we thought it was resolved, but it happened again when we got back to room late at night. Again, we called front desk and they said they would send someone out. Not sure if they came to the exterior, but we were never given update on the situation.
- Ants! We had little ants all over the bathroom that seemed to only come out at night. I can overlook that problem. However, when I went to the bathroom in the middle of the night, they were on the toilet! We told our concierge the next morning and we were hoping it would be resolved, but it wasn’t.
- Cockroaches! Later that night, my husband was getting ready for bed and while brushing his teeth saw the biggest cockroach he had ever seen. Since it was already 1 am and we had to leave at 7 am we just went to bed. Granted, we should have called the front desk immediately & been more persistent, but nothing really happened with the ants, nor the animal scratching so we weren't too hopeful that calling again would help.
-“ Booked” restaurants. We didn’t arrive until 4 pm our first day there and by that time we couldn’t get any reservations until 9:30 for dinner. We decided to walk into a place (that was almost empty) anyways at 8. The host looked at us frazzled and said, “We are totally booked. Can you come back in 2 hours?” The restaurant literally had 5 tables with people at them and dozens and dozens empty!
- Formal Attire Every Night- Dress Pants & Closed Toe shoes at EVERY restaurant. I wish 1 or 2 of them allowed sandals and/or shorts. We’re already dishing out big bucks, who really cares if a guy is wearing khaki shorts? A casual option would have been nice.
-ALL the waiters we encountered and almost all the hosts, especially the woman at Spices in the morning were very exceptionally nice & attentive and some even knew our name a day later. They seemed happy to please. They made us feel like millionaires and were always so gracious. I feel bad giving a bad review to the Royal Hideaway for their sake because they really did do an exceptional job and they were 5 stars. The concierge for out unit was nice too. It seemed like my problem was the front desk evening/night staff since they did not take care of our insect problem and the management who would not waive the $70 worth of fees.
- Clean grounds, accessible to water sports, rafts at pool, mellow, fun music some nights of the week, decent variety of restaurants
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award winning luxury all inclusive resort set along the beautiful beaches of Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Ideal setting in a serene environment for complete rest and relaxation. Adults only. Member of The Leading Hotels of the World. 2008 winner of the coveted AAA 5 Diamond Award. 11 villas with private concierge are spread throughout the property's immaculate grounds. Six gourmet restaurants serve delicasies in menu-style dining. A full service spa offers the ultimate in papmering and body treatments. Personalzied service and attention to detail set this resort a world apart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Barcelo, Priceline, Holiday Gems, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HRS, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Royal Hideaway Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Hideaway Playacar And Occidental Resorts
- Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Mexico
- Occidental Royal Hideaway
- Royal Hideaway Playacar Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen