We just returned from a one week vacation at the RH. We booked this as a last minute trip and were not 100% sure what to expect as we didn't do too much homework on the resort.
The second we arrived to Cancun airport we were greeting by our Air Transat rep and given private transportation to the resort. It was very comfortable and the drive only took about 35 minutes.
Immediately upon arrival we were helped out of the car and escorted into the lobby, the front desk staff was very friendly and wished us a happy anniversary. To our surprise, our travel agent Marketa from itravel2000.com called ahead and told them about our anniversary which was very nice of her! Our room was not ready which we expected and didn't mind at all. So we headed to the pool and had lunch at the deck.
Room- An hour later we went to our building #30 "Ilang Ilang" and were greeted by our concierge Gerardo. He was extremely friendly and brought us up to our room on the 3rd floor. It was decorated with balloons and they had a anniversary card waiting for us! The room was very nice, walk in closet, jaccuzi, rain shower, and a king size bed. We did face onto the other resort but the music at night never bothered us- we fell asleep fine.
Restaurants- lunch was always my favourite because of the guacamole and Baja Fish Tacos! The staff at the pool will bring your lunch to your chairs as well! In order of favorites:The Grille, Italian restaurant, International restaurant, and then the asian restaurant. Did I mention every liquor is premium you just have to ask. I was drinking Grey Goose or Belvedere all week.
Staff- above and beyond amazing. I have never experienced such thorough customer service. Our concierge Gerardo did absolutely everything for us from booking dinners, day excursions, breaking bills for tipping, arranging champagne for dinners, getting dress pants for my boyfriend who forgot his, and much more! Also, the staff at the pool will always bring your drinks to you, I never had to get up and get anything myself. Try the Pink Panther it was delicious!
Activities & Nightlife- We went to XCARET for one day. It was great, only recommendation would be to not buy the transportation add on and just take a cab to the resort. Cab is about $13 each way and you wont have to stop at 5 resorts to pick up and drop off people.
Be sure to take the bikes from the activity center and ride around Playa Car its a gated community and it has some gorgeous homes.
At night the resort bar isn't usually too busy so we preferred going into Playa Del Carmen and grabbing drinks at Senor Frogs or Tequilla Barrel. Very fun and you'll meet people there.
I cannot think of one negative thing throughout our whole experience. The portion sizes are perfect and if you are ever still hungry they will bring you more without a question. I now know why this resort was rated one of the leading hotels of the world:
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award winning luxury all inclusive resort set along the beautiful beaches of Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Ideal setting in a serene environment for complete rest and relaxation. Adults only. Member of The Leading Hotels of the World. 2008 winner of the coveted AAA 5 Diamond Award. 11 villas with private concierge are spread throughout the property's immaculate grounds. Six gourmet restaurants serve delicasies in menu-style dining. A full service spa offers the ultimate in papmering and body treatments. Personalzied service and attention to detail set this resort a world apart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Barcelo, Expedia, TravelUp, Holiday Gems, Booking.com, Priceline, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, HRS, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Royal Hideaway Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Hideaway Playacar And Occidental Resorts
- Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Mexico
- Occidental Royal Hideaway
- Royal Hideaway Playacar Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen