Royal Hideaway Playacar
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$423
US$293
US$605
US$589
  • Breakfast included
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda(Playa del Carmen)
US$320
US$265
US$222
US$320
US$301
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
US$413
US$403
US$459
US$444
  • Breakfast included
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$806
US$702
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$556
US$399
Orbitz.com
  • Beachfront
US$232
HotelsClick
5,026 results
All reviewslas ventanasthe grilldinner reservationsallegria barvilla conciergespices restaurantclub royaledeck restaurantdinner theaterinfinity poolchef's tablewalk in closetother resortssax playerour honeymoonall inclusive resortquiet resort
Reviewed 15 December 2012

I really like this place. This was our 4th visit and I did notice a few changes. The food is even better than before! The Grill has a new menu and it is wonderful! The staff is so professional and give such great service. There are always chairs at the pool and beach but the bali beds are hard to get. I did notice that some of the beds had a saved sign on them but then I never saw anyone in them. There were some issues with smokers. I think people can smoke anywhere outside so sometimes you need to move in order to avoid the smoke. Royal Hideaway is a nice place and the smoking issue really does cheapen the place.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank smjsmj
RoyalHideaway1, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2013

Dear smjsmj

Thank you for the review.
We’re ecstatic that even , after your fourth visit, we’ve continued to improve. We’d have to agree with you that the new menu at the Grill is simply delicious!
The Bali beds are reserved for guests in the presidential suite.

We’ll keep the sun shining for your fifth visit!

Reviewed 11 December 2012

I spent 15 days at Royal Hideway's hotel and it was the best holidays I ever had... The place, the room, the staff, everything was amasing.

I hope I could go back as soon as possible.

All memories I got back.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Ophelie_Raillard

Dear Miss Ophelie_Raillard

Merci beacoup for your kind review. What an honor to You’ll be be happy to hear that we currently have a complete renovation of our Spa and Gym underway to better meet the demand of our dear guests. We hope to be able to pamper you there during your next stay.
Be the home of your best holiday! We hope that you can make a trip back soon, and we can spoil you for another amazing vacation!
All the best,

Reviewed 11 December 2012

It's taken me awhile to write my review because I don't know what I can say that will add to all the already great reviews and information already detailed for the wonderful Royal Hideaway Playacar. It really is a great resort, perfect really. The location is absolutely fabulous. I loved being able to walk into Playa whenever we wanted. The size of the resort is perfect. I love the smaller, more intimate, and quiet atmosphere. The service was simply out of this world. Our concierge was awesome and made everything that we asked for happen. Every night he'd put a few glasses of wine in our bar fridge for me. On our anniversary our room was filled with balloons and champagne. And every dinner request was met without any problem at the restaurants and the times we wanted - even when we asked to change reservations on short notice to dine with new friends that we met. As noted, you can make reservations before you leave home and all of our requests were honoured.

We stayed in building 24 which is the closest to the beach and the pool. It was great but there are very few ocean view rooms here and our balcony faced directly onto foliage blocking the resort next door so we didn't ever enjoy our balcony which is usually something we do every evening. There is a lovely little lounge area past the Deck with excellent views of Cozumel and a very nice, quiet place to enjoy a before dinner drink though.

The pool side service during the day was absolutely fabulous. As noted, mid morning fruit kebobs are brought around as well as wonderfully smelling, chilled face cloths. In the afternoon they will bring around a water mist spray to spray your face. When you get up and leave your chair, by the time you get back a pool concierge has been there and flattened and tucked in your towels to your chair. It was amazing! As hard as I tried, I couldn't get the towels to tuck in like that!

We found the rooms to be just beautiful, spacious and lovely bathrooms.

The best part of this resort, hands down though, is the food. You won't even believe it. It's like dining in a five star restaurant every night. And I'm a foodie. It was really that good and the food is the most important part for me. Las Ventanas, their signature restaurant, was far and away the best. They have a goat cheese arborio rice with wild rice and an almond foam that my mouth still waters for. And the rack of lamb is just amazing! We also very much enjoyed our dinners at the Italian and the Japanese restaurants and the Grill was very good as well which we understand has recently benefitted from a change to their menu. They have a gorgonzola shrimp appetizer that was to die for.

During the day, the Deck has a great pool side menu (the Calamari is excellent - you must try it)! Spices was only open for lunch a couple of days that we were there but we did go one day and had the beer battered shrimp and mahi mahi with a chipotle aioli which was just outstanding! The buffet breakfast at Spices is also awesome. Las Ventanas was not open for breakfast while we were there nor was the theatre.

So, do I have any complaints? I do have one. And it's really a personal issue that others won't even notice and many will disagree with me on. This resort is so high end, so impeccable in every way, and I think if they addressed this issue it would really cater to the high end clientele that they serve. When you arrive at Spices for breakfast you are asked if you want to sit in the smoking or non-smoking section. We, as well as many others we saw, asked for non-smoking so we were seated inside (no air conditioning) instead of on their beautiful deck with the beautiful view and open air which we love on vacation. On the following day, we asked to be seated outside. No one smoked out there at all during the whole week we were there except once. That day we heard others complaining about it as well. On the third day, we weren't asked if we wanted smoking or non-smoking but rather whether we wanted to be seated outside or inside. Now don't get me wrong, I agree that smokers are entitled to an outdoor space where they can smoke, but it shouldn't be the only outdoor eating area available and to the disadvantage of the non-smokers. Unfortunately, this was also the case at the Deck and all of the outdoor tables. All tables had an ashtray on them including on the chairs outside of Spices where no one sits, all the outdoor tables in the lobby area, in the tea area, and (understandably) outside the bar. The funny thing is there were very few smokers there so it seemed they were catering to a clientele that isn't really there. I personally just found all the ashtrays around to bring the level of class of the resort down. I would suggest that when someone asks for an ashtray in an outdoor location they should be provided one but to have one on every outdoor table everywhere was unnecessary for such a classy place. But I'm partiuclar and just don't like the look of them.

Other than that, an absolutely perfect resort!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank SunSeeker37
RoyalHideaway1, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Dear SunSeeker37,

What a detailed review! Thank you very much for your comments about our resort and we appreciate the time you took to write this review. We love to pamper our guests, and we’re thrilled that you had a memorable wedding anniversary at the Royal Hideaway.

Thank you for your suggestions on the smoking/ non-smoking area. We do our best to accommodate all guests, and I have discussed this with our manager as we’re always looking for ways to improve. In regards to the view, we wish we could provide all our guests with full ocean views however this can be a challenge. We encourage our guests to request any changes while they’re at the resort, as we will do our best to provide a solution.

Our Executive Chef was delighted to hear your comments about the cuisine. We have a very wide variety of gourmet dishes to please everyone´s palate. Also we have The Chef’s Table that is a very unique experience. The customized dining experience offers guests the opportunity to interact with the resort’s executive chef and his team while enjoying unique dishes created exclusively for the Chef’s Table.

We’ll keep the sun shining for you at Royal Hideaway!

Reviewed 5 December 2012

We have been to PV and Cabo, and decided to try and Mayan Rivera. We ended up and the Royal Hideaway in Playacar and loved it. The staff are wonderful and really make the difference! The hotel is small and personal and the staff want to genuinely help you whenever possible. We were concerned about reports of construction noise from other hotels nearby that are renovating, but we heard nothing! The hotel properties are just too large. You can hear some music occasionally from the hotel next door, but it was absolutely unimposing. It was quiet and relaxing. The hotel only offers rooms to 13 and older, so families with little ones should look elsewhere. It is on a very nice beach opposit the island of Cozumel which you can see. It is 25 minutes by foot from Playa Del Carmen via the beach. It feels safe as well. We really liked our villa which was 27. One tip I would give is to book a dinner reservation for the day you arrive by phoning the local number during the daytime from home a few days before you leave. It is worth it. The food is very good, but you do need a res for the dinner restaurants. Breakfast is buffet or room service (which was good also). Lunch is a la carte or occasional buffet poolside as well. There are 5 restaurants to choose from. Overall a very nice hotel!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 3096yew

Dear 3096yew,

Thank you for your sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. It is nice to know you are exploring all Mexican beach destinations and that you finally came to the Mexican Caribbean, the Riviera Maya specifically.

We strive to provide a paradise at Royal Hideaway, especially with our location and incredible staff. We all truly enjoy working here, and it shows in our dedication to our guests.

We love that you walked to Playa del Carmen, as it’s a great place to explore. We also recommend renting our complimentary bikes to take down town or around the Playacar residential area.

You’re right that our a la carte restaurants require reservations. We recommend emailing services@mx.occidentalhotels.com, before visiting the next time. We’ll gladly make the reservations prior to arrival.

We hope to see you again in Mexico soon!

Reviewed 1 December 2012

Just back from a wonderful week at the royal hideaway. Lovely superior room close to sea and one of the many pools. Nice to have personal concierge who solved any problems. Superb fine dining evening restaurants. Excellent attentive service. Beautiful beach front location. Only slight negative was occasional noise from adjacent hotels but nothing the R H could do about that. Superb gardens and grounds. Lots of returning guests - always a good sign. Thoroughly recommend it for a peaceful couples holiday

• Stayed: November 2012
4  Thank sheiladeibel
Guadalupe S, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Dear sheiladeibel,

Your compliments are very much appreciated by the Royal Hideaway family. Thank you for highlighting the exceptional service from your concierge. We do our best to provide personalized service to all of our guests, and truly make their stay remarkable. Our Executive Chef was thrilled to know you enjoyed the dining experience at our resort.
We hope to see you again for another relaxing and peaceful holiday!