My wife and I just returned from a three night stay at the Royal Hideaway Resort. While the resort may have been very nice in the '90s, it is lacking in some very basic areas.
Rooms: They still use bedspreads. The pictures on the internet do not reflect what you will actually experience. The ironing board was very rusty. The hot and cold water never regulated itself. Either it was very hot or very cold, rarely warm. The mattress was not very comfortable. My wife did claim she was fine with it. She weighs 105#, I weigh 185#. Overall maintenance was lacking. We did receive turndown service each evening, which was nice. There are drinks in the room which included bottled water, Mexican beer, and a few cans of soft drinks. There is a coffee machine in the room, but the location inside the desk cabinet was not conducive for use. The walk-in closet was a nice touch. The A/C worked well.
FOOD: We ate breakfast each morning at the buffet. Overall it was what you'd expect. The one item that they did not have was oatmeal. (?) The other odd thing about the buffet was that it changed from one day to the next. For example, chilaques was on the buffet line on the second day we were there, but not the first or third.
There was a daily tea service which was very enjoyable.
We never ate at any of the other restaurants on site. Instead we went into town.
SPA: We each had two massages while we were there. The spa was very enjoyable.
BEACH & POOL: Both are nice. The beach was extra nice.
Overall, I judge a resort by asking myself would I ever go back. Well with this property, I'd have to say NO. Mainly because there are way too many other nicer choices for the same dollar. In all fairness, we stayed there because we decided to go two weeks out from the busiest week of the year. We did enjoy ourselves because we chose to not let the negatives overrule the negatives.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award winning luxury all inclusive resort set along the beautiful beaches of Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Ideal setting in a serene environment for complete rest and relaxation. Adults only. Member of The Leading Hotels of the World. 2008 winner of the coveted AAA 5 Diamond Award. 11 villas with private concierge are spread throughout the property's immaculate grounds. Six gourmet restaurants serve delicasies in menu-style dining. A full service spa offers the ultimate in papmering and body treatments. Personalzied service and attention to detail set this resort a world apart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Barcelo, Holiday Gems, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Travelbag and TravelUp so you can book your Royal Hideaway Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Playacar And Occidental Resorts
- Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Mexico
- Occidental Royal Hideaway
- Royal Hideaway Playacar Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen