“Amazing vacation”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #36 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My wife and I just returned from an outstanding 8 days at the Royal Hideaway. Okay...everything was amazing. The room was lovely and nice to come back to, which was not very often and our building's concierge, Patricia was so helpful. The attention to detail by all of the staff and the level of personal treatment was 5 star all the way.
The food was wonderful everywhere we went. The breakfast buffet at Spices was great. A large selection, very well prepared and always hot and fresh and what better way to start your day then sitting out on the deck, sipping fresh squeezed orange juice, eating great food and being mesmerized by the beautiful white sand, palm trees and turquoise water. Lunch at the The Deck was great...large selection and again wonderful location overlooking the beach. Each of the restaurants were also wonderful for dinner. We never had even a mediocre meal and the service was always pleasant.
The pools were fun and it was always so relaxing to swim up the the edge of the infinity pool and just lay there looking out at the beach. The water aerobics was fun as were all the activities. A special shout out to Israel and Javier who worked so hard to put a smile on everyone's face and served the most refreshing ice cream every afternoon.
The beach was large, clean and beautiful and the water was clear and that amazing turquoise color that I thought only existed on postcards. The water was warm and great for swimming because there is no tide and the waves are pretty calm. The walk down the beach to Playa Del Carmen was only about 20 minutes and lovely walk at that and just outside the gate to the south is a shopping center with souvenirs and jewelry and of course the Starbucks.
We would definitely recommend the Royal Hideaway to one and all.

6  Thank Jonathan D
RoyalHideaway1, Social Media Coordinator at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

Dear Jonathan D,

We appreciate your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. We are glad to know you recent stay was unforgettable.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope you come back very soon.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

The employees of the Royal Hideaway are proud of what they do, and they should be. Service is spot on. Thanks Eduardo, Leo, and everyone else who made our stay pleasurable. We wanted a quiet, all-inclusive where we could spend a few days with no distractions, and we found it. Although the resort was near capacity, we were always able to find a secluded pool each day where we could read, swim, and relax with no noise or distractions. If you are looking to meet other couples, play beach volleyball, and dance all night, then you should look elsewhere. But if you want good food and good drinks in a picture book setting, then look no further.

Room Tip: The neighboring resorts are loud, and our room in building 22 overlooked one of the loud resorts. N...
2  Thank Robert W

Dear Robert W,

Thank you for sharing your review, we are glad you enjoyed everything at our beautiful resort. Our team is dedicated to ensure you a pleasant stay with us; we are glad that it was your case.
We truly appreciate your nice words regarding each of our staff; it makes us feel proud of their great job.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

My best friend and I set up this trip to go golfing. Many friends and business colleagues had praised the virtues of the Playacar golf Club as a must see and Royal Hideaway's All inclusive golf package made the decision that much easier to choose.

The biggest drawback was mother nature. We had a total of six days of rain during our seven day stay, which made playing our golf games somehwhat of a challenge. Despite this, we succeeded in playing two rounds and I must admit, Playacar Golf Club is everything I had hoped for.

Beyond the golf, Royal Hideaway offered a truly unique experience. The people, service, food and amenities were outstanding. Every diner was "à la carte" and required reservations. My personal favourite was the Japanese sushi restaurant. Our concierge "Patricia" made sure the hours worked. She was extremely courteous and helpful and made sure that all our vacation activities were planned out.

The resort is unique with it's hillside location in Playa del Carmen. The Beach front is well kept and beach side service is great.

I must commend the grounds team for keeping the pools, streams, and flower beds extremely well kept despite the three day tropical storm. So much work was done to make sure the place looked tiddy and kept despite the high winds and torrential rain fall.

My only suggestion to the RH Team would be to incorporate varied group activies. I fully understand and respect that couples seeking refuge and rest would more than welcome and embrace Royal Hideaway, but I must admit that two childhood buddies going out for 1 week of golf would expect a little more excitement from the entertainment crew. We chuckled when we saw that daily "ice cream" and "fruit" were considered activities. Beach volleyball would have done it better :-))

My wife and I previously travelled Cuba and stayed at another RH resort (since sold). Our RH experience has always been extra special. I can honestly say that RH goes beyond to make sure the experience exceeds all our needs.

Thanks Patricia for your great advice and support throughout.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Alain H

Dear Alain H,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We are thrilled you enjoyed our facilities. We are also very excited to hear that you loved our restaurants, we shared your review with our entertaiment team.

Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Love this format, so I am going to copy it:

The good:
*B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L resort, beach, pools, etc. Looked like a post card everywhere we turned. Lots of closed off areas to sit and talk or smooch. Bunch of little pools with hot tubs (4?) where we could relax at night and were the only ones, surrounded by plants so I didn't feel like people were watching us, nor if we talked we would wake people up. Two bigger pools toward the beach, the 'infinity pool' had the negative edge that you could hang on and stare out at the beach and ocean. One of my favorite spots. Pool water was refreshing, not too cold, not too warm, and they had some pool floats around that if you timed right you could grab. Tons of art and ceramics around the lobby and different restaurants. very classy look, especially in the 'library'. I took about 20 pictures of the main entry way and its chandeliers.
*Food- we found to be 'very good' to 'delicious'. Food is impossible to please everyone. Portions were fine. We probably ordered an extra appetizer each time, but that was about it. Azia I think I went a little nuts with the sushi. Edamame wasn't on the menu, but they made it for us anyways. Seabass at Palazzo was a bit boring, but nothing was bad. Saw an Elvis show at the theater, and had steak and lobster (included, didn't pay for upgrade). Melvis (Mexican Elvis) was great, and the food was very enjoyable.
*Drinks- plenty of alcohol, actually mixed ingredients, not just the ready-made mai thai in a bottle. blended purified ice for frozen drinks. When I ordered alcohol on the rocks, I had to ask for the better stuff, or they would just pour from their well (which was decent anyways). We had grey goose vodka, Kahlua, Bacardi Anejo rum, Don Julio Silver tequila. plenty of good stuff and we did get pretty hammered the one day we decided to drink all day. Watch the bees at the walk-up bar by the pool. they are a viable 'swarm' by the afternoon. Apparently they don't sting though because the workers don't even make any motion that they are there.
*Beach- awesome, plenty of space, we didn't have much trouble finding open loungers, ordered food and drinks on the beach, tipped the guy a buck or two each time, and he seemed to come back often enough. The ocean was probably mid 80's or higher, so easy to jump in and go for a dip, all fine white sand no rock, hardly any seaweed, clear water. beautiful. We heard someone on an excursion complain about a hotel farther down the coast that had a bunch of seaweed and unclear water. I assumed the entire coast was like ours, but not so.
*Staff- friendly, helpful. Couldn't have asked for more. I worried that I was going to annoy room service asking for water and beer multiple times, but it was no issue at all. We had a couple big orders, and they seemed just fine with everything. all-inclusive, so that part was pretty fun.
*Costco Travel- we booked through this for the first time. It went off without a hitch, direct flights, transfers to/from hotel, no issues. There was a travel agent guy, Tim from Best Day Travel. I think this is the format for most of these resorts. I saw other reviews about the travel agent guy being pushy about meeting. We had a meeting set for us, whether we wanted it or not, and he called us right away to confirm we would be there. We 'could have' pushed and maybe not gone, but we did go, and found the experience quite pleasant. We only ended up booking a Chichen Itza excursion through him, but I appreciated him taking time to go through quite a few of the available options. I say just do the meeting, get it out of the way and book something if you want to. we had a good experience with the trip we booked.
*Adults only resort- well, mostly. I think they allow 13 and up. Still, was very nice to get away from our 5 and 7 year olds without feeling like they were still next to us at the pool. Of course we love them and missed them, but it was pretty darn cool to have some peace and quiet. Took my wife and I about a day and a half to remember how to communicate without being interrupted or having all attention on the kids.
*Other activities- at the dive shop located at the resort, we booked parasailing, snorkeling, SCUBA, and Jet Skiing. We didn't have to 'go' anywhere to do any water sports. they picked us up on the beach right by the resort. We could have so easily spent 6 days never leaving the resort, except by boat for snorkel/SCUBA.

Negatives:
*WiFi was terrible in our room, much better toward the pool and common areas, but still a bit choppy. our room was on the backside of the farthest building, so I think we probably just reached the end of its range. Still, was very frustrating when you want to be in your room looking up facebook or making phone calls over wifi applications, but can't get or maintain a connection.
*A/C- our room was certainly pleasant, but never could get 'cold'. When I go somewhere warm and hang out in the sun all day, I like to turn the air down for a bit to cool off. We turned it to full blast and basically left it there for 6 days. It was cold in the wee hours, but all other times it seemed just about where it probably 'should be', but not a degree cooler.
*Reservations at the restaurants- I don't understand the science behind their reservations. Any time we ate, there were tons of open tables, but if you didn't get your reservation in by the afternoon, you were lucky to get in at all. The first night we arrived around 7:00, and they couldn't get us into a restaurant. We ordered room service. A different day, we got back later than we expected from an excursion (9ish) and asked to push the reservation back an hour so we could clean up. They BARELY could accommodate 30 minutes. We didn't want to rush, but we really wanted to eat at that particular restaurant.
*Adults Only resort- yes, I said good thing above, and it still was. But the resort is pretty 'sleepy' for the crowd that does like to socialize and not go to bed at 8:00. We met a fun couple the last day we were there, and wished we had met them earlier.

The WiFi was more than annoying, but the other items are pretty darn minor compared to the positives. We were so happy with everything, location, beauty, staff, food, etc., we would definitely go there again... if we go to that same area, which is somewhat unlikely because we have 35 other places we want to go next. But if we want somewhere familiar, comfortable, and tropical, I wouldn't hesitate to go there again... or to recommend it to others.

Room Tip: our 3rd (top) floor room was pleasant, but never could get 'cold.' Back side of building...
5  Thank Vince T

Dear Vince T,

Thank you for the time you took to send us such a detail review. We are so proud to read your recent stay reach your expectations. We are grateful about your review and that you shared this experience with future guests, this is very helpful for everyone. We appreciate your feedback about the internet service, necessary measures will be taken.

Thank you again and we look forward to host you again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

I am halfway through a two week stay here and whilst there are many plusses in the overall layout, cleanliness, food and service my main gripe is the beautiful beach spoiled by the noise and fumes of jet skis and parasailing boats, obviously promoted by the hotel. The security guards on the beach seem to be best mates with the constant stream of hawkers and I really lost it today with the guy who spent twenty minutes trying to persuade the octogenarian couple on the sunbeds behind us to spend 150 dollars to visit the Coco Bingo nightclub! I can just about tolerate the inane lunch time beach parties from the rabble two hotels away but the management really must do more to preserve the dignity of this establishment. I will give a further update next week.

• Stayed: July 2013
7  Thank Cyderman101

Dear Cyderman101,

Thank you for send us your review. It is very disappointing to know that you had an overall negative experience with us. We are glad that you enjoyed the beauty of our property; otherwise we regret the inconvenients you encountered during your stay. Each of your points have been shared with our management, we are working on it.

We deeply apologize that your expectations were not met during your recent visit. We hope your next visit will be excellent.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

À réal paradise place
Every thing is fantastic from the arrival to departure
Roofs clean and spacious great service
Every restaurant à la carte amazing good

Amazing beach and location ....not à noisy hôtel everything as class
Wonderfull place for a vacation and to rest ..
All the staff i say all of them .......are amazing people they lové to please you and serve you .

5stars. Every thing

Room Tip: I was section 29 .in the garden ..very quite no noise from other hôtel near by Very good
2  Thank Samson8591

Dear Samson8591,

For us is a pleasure read your review. Thank you so much for send us your comments.
One of our priorities is to make the best holiday experience for each of our guest, this why we put a special emphasis in each service that we provide to you.

We hope welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I've tried to book another Occidental's hotel. It was already fully booked .. they sent me to this small paradise :)
This hotel just made my honeymoon unforgettable. The service has beaten all my expectations, the staff is incredibly kind and helpful, the place is beautiful, the dinner service is similar to the eiffel tower restaurant (really fancy with great food)... unbelievable!

Pros:
- Great staff (very kind, helpful and hard working.. always with a smile on!)
- Great service (bedrooms, room service, food, etc)
- Great chefs and dinner service (the food is great! not just good looking - the service is from a top restaurant!)
- Great location (the beach is great, quiet place, 20min walk from Playa Del Carmen)

... (too many great things to point)

Cons:
- Poor wireless internet (week or no signal in most areas and keep asking for login on apple devices)
- It might be hard to book dinner (if you don't book them as soon as you get there you might need to have dinner at 6:30 or 22:30 at the best places)

Alert:
- Might be a little to quiet if you came to party (or just take a 20min walk everyday and go to Playa Del Carmen)

1  Thank HelioJCD

Dear HelioJCD,

We appreciate your comments, we are very glad to read you enjoyed your honeymoon. We take note every point in your review. Please apologize us for the inconveninece you encountered with our reservation system.

Please remember you can contact our Customer Service before arrival in order to arrange your dinner reservations.

We hope you welcome back again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#51 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#60 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#37 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#16 of 21 in Akumal
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#20 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Royal Hideaway Playacar? Share your experiences!