“Amazing Service, Food and Beach!”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #34 of 210 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Pittsburgh
“Amazing Service, Food and Beach!”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Well, while my husband and I are accustomed to the brand new GRAND resorts in Cabo San Lucas- where a resort is built better than the next each year, the Royal Hideaway made up for it's age (built in 1998) with excellent, TOP-NOTCH service and awesome food! We wanted to try somewhere we had never been before and we stayed at the Hideaway for 7 days. The restaurants were ALL amazing (the only one we didn't try for dinner was The Grille). You can't go wrong no matter where you eat at the resort. Though we particularly loved Azia for sushi and Palazzo for anything. We have never done the 'all-inclusive' hotel-thing before and we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and drinks, as we LOVE to eat and drink GOOD food- spending usually $200 a night in Cabo for dinner. But, even the Hideaway's 'house wine' was so good. The only thing we did not like was the humidity, which can't be avoided, but it is bearable by staying in the pool or ocean and having a constant drink in hand. Cabo has dry heat-like desert with cool nights where in this part of Mexico there was no break from the humidity- day or night. They have an 11:30 am pool-exercise class each day which was fun. We rented a car and that was the only hassle we had to deal with: the people that worked at the car rental place: Budget- apparently no affiliation with USA's Budget car rental- totally harassing us to buy their $50 a day insurance- which we did not do, but had to fight them for a half hour. You really don't need a car, as the cab rides are affordable and any excursion you book will include transportation.
We had a great, relaxing time and thank the staff of the Hideaway for being so good at what they do! Truly Royal!

Room Tip: We stayed in building 31 by the pool and had a tiny view of the ocean through the buildings. We like...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PittsburghChamps
RoyalHideaway1, Social Media Coordination at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this review, 25 August 2013
Dear PittsburghChamps,

It is great to know how fantastic these vacations were for you. Thank you for send us your review. Our entire team is dedicated to ensuring you a wonderful vacation and is great to know that we have succeeded with you and your expectations. This review is very motivating for our team.

Thank you again and we hope you come back very soon.

Sincerely

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (933)
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We just returned from out second trip (this year) to the RH. Much like my review earlier this year, we were very pleased with all aspects of the resort. We visited in April, and found several staff members remembered our names upon our return. We found the resort less crowded (end of July, first of August) than it was in April. We did notice several younger children present. RH is advertised as “adult only”, but it appears 13 is the minimum age. The children were not bothersome, however we felt pity for them as RH does not entertain children and they must have been bored out of their minds. Parents with teens, please don’t drag your children to this resort.

This review is for the purposes of reiterating the positives upon a second visit to the RH. Will most likely return next year. Would recommend to a friend.

3 Thank Cornerlot_10
RoyalHideaway1, Social Media Coordinator at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this review, 25 August 2013
Dear Cornerlot_10,

We want to take a moment to say thank you so much for choosing us for your holiday destination! We are glad to read that you had a great stay with us. Our commitment is to make a memorable vacation for you.

Your comments will be disscused with our management in order to look into new entertaiment ways for younger guests.

We hope you will return very soon.

California
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Just got home from 8 days vacation at The Royal Hideaway Playacar. After reading some reviews I had little reservations about hotel. Now, after we spent beautiful week there, I can say this place is great in every aspect, grounds, buildings, facilities, rooms, food and people who work there.
Service is unmatched and they did everything to make our stay memorable. Food is the best you can get in all inclusive resort. Drinks are top shelf. Diner reservations were very easy. We made reservation for the first two days in advance (via e-mail) and rest was taken care off when we got there.The beach is excellent (not crowded) with very good service (drinks, food).
I could write a more about this place but not need to repeat what many people stated before me.
Definitely, I would recommend it to everyone.

Room Tip: building # 24 is the closest to beach and pools
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank califor1
Dear Califor1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the beauty of our property and the high quality service which we are known. Our top priority is to make an unforgettable vacation.

We are waiting for your return; will be a pleasure to serve you again.

Thiensville, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My wife and I just returned from an outstanding 8 days at the Royal Hideaway. Okay...everything was amazing. The room was lovely and nice to come back to, which was not very often and our building's concierge, Patricia was so helpful. The attention to detail by all of the staff and the level of personal treatment was 5 star all the way.
The food was wonderful everywhere we went. The breakfast buffet at Spices was great. A large selection, very well prepared and always hot and fresh and what better way to start your day then sitting out on the deck, sipping fresh squeezed orange juice, eating great food and being mesmerized by the beautiful white sand, palm trees and turquoise water. Lunch at the The Deck was great...large selection and again wonderful location overlooking the beach. Each of the restaurants were also wonderful for dinner. We never had even a mediocre meal and the service was always pleasant.
The pools were fun and it was always so relaxing to swim up the the edge of the infinity pool and just lay there looking out at the beach. The water aerobics was fun as were all the activities. A special shout out to Israel and Javier who worked so hard to put a smile on everyone's face and served the most refreshing ice cream every afternoon.
The beach was large, clean and beautiful and the water was clear and that amazing turquoise color that I thought only existed on postcards. The water was warm and great for swimming because there is no tide and the waves are pretty calm. The walk down the beach to Playa Del Carmen was only about 20 minutes and lovely walk at that and just outside the gate to the south is a shopping center with souvenirs and jewelry and of course the Starbucks.
We would definitely recommend the Royal Hideaway to one and all.

6 Thank Jonathan D
Dear Jonathan D,

We appreciate your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. We are glad to know you recent stay was unforgettable.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope you come back very soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 4 August 2013

The employees of the Royal Hideaway are proud of what they do, and they should be. Service is spot on. Thanks Eduardo, Leo, and everyone else who made our stay pleasurable. We wanted a quiet, all-inclusive where we could spend a few days with no distractions, and we found it. Although the resort was near capacity, we were always able to find a secluded pool each day where we could read, swim, and relax with no noise or distractions. If you are looking to meet other couples, play beach volleyball, and dance all night, then you should look elsewhere. But if you want good food and good drinks in a picture book setting, then look no further.

Room Tip: The neighboring resorts are loud, and our room in building 22 overlooked one of the loud resorts. N...
2 Thank Robert W
Dear Robert W,

Thank you for sharing your review, we are glad you enjoyed everything at our beautiful resort. Our team is dedicated to ensure you a pleasant stay with us; we are glad that it was your case.
We truly appreciate your nice words regarding each of our staff; it makes us feel proud of their great job.

Saint-Eustache, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My best friend and I set up this trip to go golfing. Many friends and business colleagues had praised the virtues of the Playacar golf Club as a must see and Royal Hideaway's All inclusive golf package made the decision that much easier to choose.

The biggest drawback was mother nature. We had a total of six days of rain during our seven day stay, which made playing our golf games somehwhat of a challenge. Despite this, we succeeded in playing two rounds and I must admit, Playacar Golf Club is everything I had hoped for.

Beyond the golf, Royal Hideaway offered a truly unique experience. The people, service, food and amenities were outstanding. Every diner was "à la carte" and required reservations. My personal favourite was the Japanese sushi restaurant. Our concierge "Patricia" made sure the hours worked. She was extremely courteous and helpful and made sure that all our vacation activities were planned out.

The resort is unique with it's hillside location in Playa del Carmen. The Beach front is well kept and beach side service is great.

I must commend the grounds team for keeping the pools, streams, and flower beds extremely well kept despite the three day tropical storm. So much work was done to make sure the place looked tiddy and kept despite the high winds and torrential rain fall.

My only suggestion to the RH Team would be to incorporate varied group activies. I fully understand and respect that couples seeking refuge and rest would more than welcome and embrace Royal Hideaway, but I must admit that two childhood buddies going out for 1 week of golf would expect a little more excitement from the entertainment crew. We chuckled when we saw that daily "ice cream" and "fruit" were considered activities. Beach volleyball would have done it better :-))

My wife and I previously travelled Cuba and stayed at another RH resort (since sold). Our RH experience has always been extra special. I can honestly say that RH goes beyond to make sure the experience exceeds all our needs.

Thanks Patricia for your great advice and support throughout.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alain H
Dear Alain H,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We are thrilled you enjoyed our facilities. We are also very excited to hear that you loved our restaurants, we shared your review with our entertaiment team.

Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Love this format, so I am going to copy it:

The good:
*B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L resort, beach, pools, etc. Looked like a post card everywhere we turned. Lots of closed off areas to sit and talk or smooch. Bunch of little pools with hot tubs (4?) where we could relax at night and were the only ones, surrounded by plants so I didn't feel like people were watching us, nor if we talked we would wake people up. Two bigger pools toward the beach, the 'infinity pool' had the negative edge that you could hang on and stare out at the beach and ocean. One of my favorite spots. Pool water was refreshing, not too cold, not too warm, and they had some pool floats around that if you timed right you could grab. Tons of art and ceramics around the lobby and different restaurants. very classy look, especially in the 'library'. I took about 20 pictures of the main entry way and its chandeliers.
*Food- we found to be 'very good' to 'delicious'. Food is impossible to please everyone. Portions were fine. We probably ordered an extra appetizer each time, but that was about it. Azia I think I went a little nuts with the sushi. Edamame wasn't on the menu, but they made it for us anyways. Seabass at Palazzo was a bit boring, but nothing was bad. Saw an Elvis show at the theater, and had steak and lobster (included, didn't pay for upgrade). Melvis (Mexican Elvis) was great, and the food was very enjoyable.
*Drinks- plenty of alcohol, actually mixed ingredients, not just the ready-made mai thai in a bottle. blended purified ice for frozen drinks. When I ordered alcohol on the rocks, I had to ask for the better stuff, or they would just pour from their well (which was decent anyways). We had grey goose vodka, Kahlua, Bacardi Anejo rum, Don Julio Silver tequila. plenty of good stuff and we did get pretty hammered the one day we decided to drink all day. Watch the bees at the walk-up bar by the pool. they are a viable 'swarm' by the afternoon. Apparently they don't sting though because the workers don't even make any motion that they are there.
*Beach- awesome, plenty of space, we didn't have much trouble finding open loungers, ordered food and drinks on the beach, tipped the guy a buck or two each time, and he seemed to come back often enough. The ocean was probably mid 80's or higher, so easy to jump in and go for a dip, all fine white sand no rock, hardly any seaweed, clear water. beautiful. We heard someone on an excursion complain about a hotel farther down the coast that had a bunch of seaweed and unclear water. I assumed the entire coast was like ours, but not so.
*Staff- friendly, helpful. Couldn't have asked for more. I worried that I was going to annoy room service asking for water and beer multiple times, but it was no issue at all. We had a couple big orders, and they seemed just fine with everything. all-inclusive, so that part was pretty fun.
*Costco Travel- we booked through this for the first time. It went off without a hitch, direct flights, transfers to/from hotel, no issues. There was a travel agent guy, Tim from Best Day Travel. I think this is the format for most of these resorts. I saw other reviews about the travel agent guy being pushy about meeting. We had a meeting set for us, whether we wanted it or not, and he called us right away to confirm we would be there. We 'could have' pushed and maybe not gone, but we did go, and found the experience quite pleasant. We only ended up booking a Chichen Itza excursion through him, but I appreciated him taking time to go through quite a few of the available options. I say just do the meeting, get it out of the way and book something if you want to. we had a good experience with the trip we booked.
*Adults only resort- well, mostly. I think they allow 13 and up. Still, was very nice to get away from our 5 and 7 year olds without feeling like they were still next to us at the pool. Of course we love them and missed them, but it was pretty darn cool to have some peace and quiet. Took my wife and I about a day and a half to remember how to communicate without being interrupted or having all attention on the kids.
*Other activities- at the dive shop located at the resort, we booked parasailing, snorkeling, SCUBA, and Jet Skiing. We didn't have to 'go' anywhere to do any water sports. they picked us up on the beach right by the resort. We could have so easily spent 6 days never leaving the resort, except by boat for snorkel/SCUBA.

Negatives:
*WiFi was terrible in our room, much better toward the pool and common areas, but still a bit choppy. our room was on the backside of the farthest building, so I think we probably just reached the end of its range. Still, was very frustrating when you want to be in your room looking up facebook or making phone calls over wifi applications, but can't get or maintain a connection.
*A/C- our room was certainly pleasant, but never could get 'cold'. When I go somewhere warm and hang out in the sun all day, I like to turn the air down for a bit to cool off. We turned it to full blast and basically left it there for 6 days. It was cold in the wee hours, but all other times it seemed just about where it probably 'should be', but not a degree cooler.
*Reservations at the restaurants- I don't understand the science behind their reservations. Any time we ate, there were tons of open tables, but if you didn't get your reservation in by the afternoon, you were lucky to get in at all. The first night we arrived around 7:00, and they couldn't get us into a restaurant. We ordered room service. A different day, we got back later than we expected from an excursion (9ish) and asked to push the reservation back an hour so we could clean up. They BARELY could accommodate 30 minutes. We didn't want to rush, but we really wanted to eat at that particular restaurant.
*Adults Only resort- yes, I said good thing above, and it still was. But the resort is pretty 'sleepy' for the crowd that does like to socialize and not go to bed at 8:00. We met a fun couple the last day we were there, and wished we had met them earlier.

The WiFi was more than annoying, but the other items are pretty darn minor compared to the positives. We were so happy with everything, location, beauty, staff, food, etc., we would definitely go there again... if we go to that same area, which is somewhat unlikely because we have 35 other places we want to go next. But if we want somewhere familiar, comfortable, and tropical, I wouldn't hesitate to go there again... or to recommend it to others.

Room Tip: our 3rd (top) floor room was pleasant, but never could get 'cold.' Back side of building...
5 Thank Vince T
Dear Vince T,

Thank you for the time you took to send us such a detail review. We are so proud to read your recent stay reach your expectations. We are grateful about your review and that you shared this experience with future guests, this is very helpful for everyone. We appreciate your feedback about the internet service, necessary measures will be taken.

Thank you again and we look forward to host you again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#49 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#42 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#22 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#39 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal

Been to Royal Hideaway Playacar? Share your experiences!