“could use a little more night life, maybe a sports bar for after 1:00am”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #32 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Matawan, New Jersey
“could use a little more night life, maybe a sports bar for after 1:00am”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

At the resort now. The food, beach, and staff is great. Despite what others have stated I don't hear any noise past 11:00. However, our room is in the middle of the resort and not next to the neighboring hotels where others have complained that the noise comes from. After 11:00 this place quiets down or is at least not a frat party. I would recommend the resort in a heart beat. On a separate note, I would recommned a rental car. A taxi costs about $85 each way from the airport. We rented a car from Thrifty and it costs $220 per week for a Jetta. Just bring proof of credit card insurance or you will pay $20 extra per day. I will follow-up with an additional review when we leave on Sat.

4 Thank bukaroo1964
Itze P, Reputation Management at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear bukaroo1964,

On behalf of Royal Hideaway family, we would like to thank you for choosing our property as your vacation escape. We proud ourselves, we exceeded your expectations and to have fulfilled all your wishes. It was a pleasure to have the opportunity to serve you as our guest. Please rests assure, we will share your comments with our management.

We appreciated your time on writing about your experience,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (914)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Overall I had a lovely holiday (despite the weather being up and down), the staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel & room was clean. The reason why I would not rates some aspects higher is down the the Chefs table experience. At over $200 per head and having filled out a form of likes/dislikes, dietary requirments (I'm vegetarian) AND having met the head chef I was very disappointed to get there and find a pretty full on meat based menu - the same menu for every guest at the table. I had to have tell the Sous Chef 3-4 times that I am vegetarian after being asked if I ate each of the different kinds of meat! My dishes were then replaced with either a vegetarian alternative or something off of the al a carte menu (which is included in the all inclusive side of the hotel!). Additionally, the TV screen was not working (due to the rain) so we could not get a clear view and commentary while the chef was preparing the dishes. When the chef talked through the dishes and wine pairing, most of my replacement dishes were not covered for obvious reason, they were a last minute change! Having raised my issues with the concierge I was advised i would get feedback which I never did! In summary, do not do this experience if you have any kind of dietary requirments and/or particular likes/dislikes as there is a strong liklihood they will get it wrong and you will still end up getting charged $200+! Other than that fab hotel and the restaurants were great so for me it was a complete waste to pay more for the Chef experience and a spoilt evening.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AA A
Itze P, Reputation Management at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear AA A,

We appreciate your comments both positive and constructive about your experience as it helps us to improve our resort for future and returning guests.

We regret if you encountered any frustration during your stay, but we hope this did not diminish your overall experience. Rest assured your experience will be addressed with our management to ensure that our guests will be guaranteed a memorable stay, for your next visit or for further information please feel free to contact us at cservices@mx.occidentalhotels.com

We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again,
Sherwood Park, Canada
Reviewed 13 January 2014

our holiday at royal hideway was great the staff and food where exc they go out of there way to treat you like a king and thats what we got the room was always clean and an animal done in towels to great you after your day at the pool total 5 star would recomend to anyone carlos can not say enough about you your great . definitly a team effort there and they do it well. thanks

2 Thank brent j
Dear Brent J,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on the site following your stay with us and we are thrilled to hear that we surpassed your expectations and that the greatest asset of the hotel is the staff. We are always pleased to hear about our guest’s experiences at our property. It is so nice to read such lovely feedback and is very motivating to all the team who do work incredibly hard to make our guests stay memorable.

Warm regards,
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Overall we had a very pleasant stay even with the rain. The staff was very helpful and happy...a pleasant greeting every time they met you walking about the grounds. The Hotel was exceptional clean, the decor updated and small enough to walk around without walking for miles to the beach or to eat. Only 200 rooms so minimal waiting for a seat at a restaurant for lunch or breakfast. Dinner reservations always honoured. Each building had its own concierge. Fernando was friendly, helpful and had a pleasant manner. He helped find places that were unknown to the hotel staff and he was pleased to help locate them. Being in Mexico during the "Vortex" which caused rain for our entire week of holidays except the last day was beautiful. Our criticism is that not enough activities were planned for the the rain time...they had the normal ones, but no thought of 200 plus people paying for sun at the beach with not much to do so we were bored. High Tea was a pleasant diversion to the day so we didn't have to stay in our rooms. Eating and drinking became "activities". To the hotels credit, they had Spanish lessons, ping pong, diving lessons, etc. on a daily basis plus the tennis courts, basketball and spa.

Room Tip: inner rooms away from noise of other resorts
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Carol L
Dear Carol L,

Thank you for send us your review, we are more than glad to know that every time you have stayed with us, you have been able to enjoy of many unique and memorable experiences due to the amazing staff, the high quality food and drinks encountered at our Restaurants and bars, and lastly but no less important, our Resort facilities.

Please come and visit us again in the near future for us will be an honor to host you again,
Vail, Colorado
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I rated this resort as 5 Star,but has room for improvement & is must closer to 5 star than 4 star.We were guests for a week of New Years; the resort was full,but services were fine.
The food is very good,the physical facilities nice, & the rooms are fine .The staff is excellent & friendly.The location is Playcar just a mile or two south of Playa Del Carmen ; Playcar is a " gated " community" and every resort & golf course is also " gated"....meaning your taxi from the Cancun airport ( 45 minutes away) goes through 2 checkpoints to enter any resort in Playcar .Playcar has 1.5 - 2.0 miles of beachfront & extends around 1 mile in width; my guess is the total village of Plyaycar is close to 2 square miles. There is a small,new hospital on the south entrance to Playcar and Playa Del Carmen on the north end.Guests at Royal Hidaway can walk on the beach or sidewalks to Playa del Carmen to shop,catch the ferry to Cozemel ,etc. or a taxi from the Royal Hideaway is 70 pesos or around $ 6 before tip. The hotel can arrange a private car from the airport for around $ 70; if you catch a taxi from the airport,the taxi is around $ 100,but the return taxi is $ 55......I never understood the logic.
My suggestions
1. The adjoining resorts must have their music speakers turned very high & pointed toward Royal Hideaway ; the noise appears to bother guestrs in rooms bordering these resorts .It would be helpful if these resorts aimed their speakers elsewhere & turned the volume down at night.I am not sure what RH can do,but should make an effort.
2. The red wines available were Malbec & cabernet ; we prefer pinot noir which is only available for around $ 50 per bottle.The whites that were available were chardonny & savigon blanc; again, we prefer pinot grio which was available sometimes .
3. Many guests would get beach towels & place on beach & pool chairs early in the morning ,but show much later to use for an hour or so & leave ,but never removing the towels .Hence, our first day we casually went to the beach at 11 am & every chair was taken at the beach & pool.I asked one of the beach attendants to help find 2 vacant chairs . He said none existed; so , I asked " Am I not to go to the beach today ?" He shrugged, so I asked for his supervisor who immeiately called someone who broght more beach chairs . RH's beach is large for the number of guest rooms & never appeared to have too many beach chairs too close together.
But, overall RH is a very nice resort ( a Leading Hotel) & provides a very nice experience for a reasonable price. This visit was my second & we will return.

Room Tip: Look at the map & select a building in the middle . Most buildings are 2 story ,but some have 3...
2 Thank Larry M
Dear Larry M,

We thank you for posting your comments relating to your most recent stay at the hotel. Guest feedback enables us to continually review our service delivery and standards and make changes wherever possible.

We were delighted to hear that your stay was enjoyable and that you were pleased with our location.

Many thanks,
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 January 2014

My husband and I and our son and daughter-in-law stayed at the Royal Hideaway from Dec. 27-Jan.2. We thoroughly enjoyed our time. It was raining when we arrived and Spices restaurant was closed but Christian made sure that the cooks and staff stayed over so we could have lunch. Although the rooms had a musty smell, they were very clean,albeit a bit dark inside. The bathroom was very spacious and functional and included a nice walk-in closet. We stayed in Building 26. The best part was having Delia as our conceirge! She was awesome and catered to our every need, making reservations, reserving cabs, arranging extra hangers, and even sewing a button on my husband's shirt! In addition Liz did a great of cleaning our room and providing turn-down service at night.

The view of the ocean from the infinity pool was beautiful. There seems to be enough chairs for everyone to have a seat on the ocean or by one of the pools. Many chairs were saved and the resort was at capacity but it didn't seem to be a problem.The people working by the pool are some of the hardest workers I have ever encountered. Every afternoon when it rained they would tend to all the loungers by removing the cushions and towels and replacing them soon after the rain. They were so helpful and pleasant. The beach is beautiful with plenty of loungers and also some palm trees to provide shade.

We went to Allegria Bar before dinner on several nights .Fanny was the greatest! She was quite attentive and took care of us quite well. In addition, the restaurants were all wonderful. We ate at the breakfast buffet at Spices most days. The food was fresh and plentiful. Aziz was another breakfast choice when we were there. It's white table cloth service and excellent food. Try the green juice. Every day there was a buffet lunch by the pool. There was a theme each day. One day it was chicken dishes, another it was pallea(sp), another seafood with grilled sea bass, salmon,giant shrimp etc., In addition The Deck was a great option for lunch. Excellent tuna tartare and fish tacos. It's nice to sit out under the umbrellas with a view of the ocean.

Dinner at Azia was wonderful. Appetizers especially were delectable! Fernando indulged us with wonderful service. Ventanas was a great experience also. Monsterrat and Miguel were so fast and efficient with service when we told them we were in a hurry. We appreciated being waitied on by them and their dedication to their jobs. The Deck , which was a little less formal was also an excellent restaurant with delicious grilled entrees and a variety of sauces.

We were there on New Year's Eve and went to the 'Dinner Theater' for a Vegas style review. It was OK but we expected that it would be more upbeat. Food was OK. That night the hotel next year had a New Years bash and it was very loud until about 2am when the band quit. Otherwise it was quiet and peaceful.

I recommend this resort. They will spoil you with their service and cuisine.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room in the middle of the resort (26) and we were close to everything.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank NancyW1955
Dear NancyW1955,

We really appreciate the time you have taken to express your experience. For us it’s an honor to read your review it's motivating to all of our staff to know we excited your expectations making your vacation a memorable experience. Our main goal is to always make our guest feel pampered in the harmony and excellence of our service, relaxing in our beautiful grounds and enjoying our delicious gourmet food.

Many thanks,
San Clemente, California
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We are currently staying at the Royal Hideaway Playacar, and I am exhausted from lack of sleep. The loud "booming" bass of the music at the resort next door (The Allegra?) keeps me up until well past 1am and has twice awoken me at 5am, even though I am several buildings away in Building #29. This morning at 5:15am, I put on my robe and slippers to follow the noise to determine where it was coming from, and it is indeed up near Building #21 on the neighboring resort side. I am not certain if they play music all night until sunrise and I was lucky enough to finally tune it out after 1am, or if they have an aerobics class or some other reason for blaring the music again at 5am. I called the main desk at 5:30 and am waiting on a response. I will update my review when my stay is finished in 3 days. At this point, I would never return. We chose this resort partly because there are no young children here, which usually means a more peaceful atmosphere, but at least kids sleep at night and don't dance on my eardrum.

I would have given the review 1 star, if not for the wonderful restaurants, mostly good service (with a few exceptions, which is to be expected), and nice rooms. The beach is one of the best -- we've stayed in Playa at another resort two previous times and the beach is one of the reasons we returned, this time with an adult child. However, I'm afraid the area may be turning into more of a Cancun party area and will have to do some better research to find a more peaceful location.

Room Tip: Not sure if there is any quiet room at this location.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Neitz2014
Itze P, Reputation Management at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Neitz2014,

We appreciate your honest and thorough feedback. We are disappointed to hear that your recent stay with us was less than exceptional. Guest satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us here at Royal Hideaway and we apologize for the inconvenient you experienced. We will be sharing your comments with our management for further review, and to help plan best practices.

We do hope you choose to give us another opportunity in the future as this occurrence is not indicative of the high quality of customer satisfaction we strive for.

Kindest regards