“FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #37 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed at the Royal Hideaway from March 19 - 26, 2014. This was by far the most luxurious, clean, friendly resort I have ever stayed at. The staff at this hotel went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed and then some! The resort is extremly well kept and the staff is extremely well trained. Anyone who stays here and does not have a great time, will not have a great time anywhere! We ate at all the restaurants and they are all of the "fine dining" caliber. The food is prepared exquistely and the waiters are wonderful. We had such a great time. The rooms are large, and up to date. There is a consierge in every block of units, and they are there from morning to evening taking care of anything you need. Room service was expedient and food selection very large. We emailed ahead based on the trip advisor reviews and booked our dinner reservations before we arrived. We took a day trip to the Mayan Ruins so we missed our reservation for dinner, but it wasn't a problem as the Menu for room service is 24 hours and the food selection was awsome! I cannot say enough good about these accomodations. The resort is small, only 400 rooms, but the staff is plentiful so you get much better service, much faster than the larger resorts. The little shopping plaza outside the hotel was perfect to satisfy the need to shop. All the loungers around the pool are Rattan (not Plastic) and have cushions with terrycloth covers. These cushions are removed each evening with the terrycloth covers and fresh cushions and covers are put out everyday. You could have more than one beach towel, no towel cards, no wrist bracelets. Perfect! We didn't know it when we booked it but this resort has a 5 Diamond rating! That is top notch and they definitely lived up to it! You will not be sorry staying at this resort! The ambiance of this resort is slow and easy. If you are looking to whoop it up and dance all night, go somewhere else. This resort is geared toward mature adults 30 and up. Live Spanish guitar, flute player, Saxaphone every night. Easy listening with cocktails. I had the time of my life and will definitely return. Also note, that the staff at this hotel speaks very good English, with many speaking Italian, French, in addition to Spanish.

3  Thank 568cindyd

Reviewed 25 March 2014

This trip to RHP is tough to review. Lot's of things were great and some not so great this trip. Before I get into it I need to say this is still one of my favorite all inclusive places to stay in Riviera Maya! We have also been to the Iberostar Grand Paraiso and Secrets Maroma which I consider both comparable with Royal Hideaway Playacar. The other places are newer and flashier but they don't have the style and grace of RHP. They clearly can't hold a candle to the food at RHP which is superior in the area that counts...taste. They all have consistently great service and presentation but the food just tastes better at RHP. If you like good food and substance over flash, I think you will be happy here. If everything has to be new and shiney, and food isn't that important, there are lots of those places around.

As for our experience this past week, things were a bit hit & miss. The misses were not recognizing we had been here a few times before, most recently last year. When we checked in the person said this is your first time here? We said we had been here before but no one seemed aware of this, even our concierge. Not a big deal but still a missed opportunity. He asked if I would like a Canadian paper every day and I said yes. No paper all week except for 1 day when I asked the concierge for it. When we checked in to our room the air conditioner was barely working and it smelled quite musty. We called and someone was sent to change the filter and the A/C was fine after that. Not much you can do about the musty smell in the tropics and to be fair I've smelled musty rooms in other resorts. It seemed to be less noticeable after a day or so. Our last night we ordered the lobster tasting menu for $50 pp and the lobster was way overcooked and very tough and chewy. It was late and we had to get up early and I didn't want to wait around for another portion so I just let it go. I would not recommend this option though, especially if you are used to having Nova Scotia lobster, which this ain't!. It was our only disappointing meal during our stay. We've paid for the chef's table last year and it was incredible so perhaps it was just an off night.

The hits were the food, beach, grounds, staff and overall feel of the place. It is an oasis of calm and relaxation. They list fruit eating as an activity in the daily program which should give you an idea of the pace. The beach is beautiful and you can walk 40 minutes one way until the jungle meets the water and 20 minutes the other way into playa del Carmen which is a very touristy town with lots of shopping and restaurants. The grounds are compact and very lush with meandering brooks and quiet pools away from the 2 main pools on the beach. The entertainment is pretty much confined to the bar allegria and it is somewhat laid back although 2 nights they had entertainment where people actually got up and danced. Some were even shouting "encore"! I mean, really, where's security when you need it?. I'm making a dumb joke but it is fairly quiet especially at night on the resort.
The biggest hit is the food and other than my lobster experience, the food was the best I have had at an all inclusive. I can't comment on the drinks as we are only wine drinkers and I had to buy the extra wine as their included stuff can only be ordered by the glass at dinner and the red selection is a cheap cab or merlot. It may sound snobby but life is too short for cheap wine!

Overall, we will happily come back to RPH as no other all inclusive can give me what I look for in an adult only resort. I like substance over flash and Royal Hideaway has it in spades! The only other AI that comes close to my wants is Secret Maroma but the food is better at RPH.

12  Thank steve247
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Absolutely the BEST hotel in the area!! Close enough to the action of Playa del Carmen but not in the middle of it so very relaxing! Lots of waterspouts options on the beach. Loved the 4pm "High Tea"! Gorgeous lobby. Gorgeous grounds. Kept extremely clean and elegant.

Room Tip: Building #30 is where we stayed and was perfect proximity to the beach as well as the restaurants!
2  Thank Banjo123456789
Reviewed 23 March 2014

1 - January 08 th 2014 when we arrived around 1:30 p.m. our room was not ready.We were then told by our concierge that for our diner that night that all the restaurants were full and the only available place was at 10:30 pm and if not that we could go eat in Playa del Carmen ... at our expense. We found this very unpleasant and to be a very condescending comment. Furthermore we were told that for the entire week the only places in the restaurants available were between 9 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. We had to ask our concierge daily to see if he could change our reservation by placing us on a waiting list. We had to wait for confirmation from our concierge. This was really stressful and unpleasant for a hotel that claims to be a 5 star.

2 - They gave us a room the first night. The noise from the bar ( Allegria ) as well as other places around were so loud that my wife and I did not sleep a wink. In addition we had an animal scratching part of the night in the air conditioning system . We asked to be moved to another room, but all that was available was a room with 2 double beds and another bedroom with a king bed very dark and damp . In addition we had to put earplugs throughout the week because of the heavy doors of the rooms slamming to be shut. Throughout the week we slept poorly and were on vacation to get some rest, which did not happen.

3 - In the restaurant ( Spices ) every morning we had to wait in line just to get some breakfast, waiting was sometimes more than 20 to 30 minutes. In addition, one morning we waited for a table outside and they placed people that had arrived after us so we had to wait longer, it was very frustrating.

4 - We accidently left our safe in the room unlocked and when we returned there was missing over $ 200.00 us . The door to our room was well locked . Only employees had access to our room. This was the first time in a hotel that we were robbed.

5 - We needed towels before going to sea during the day and there were no more clean ones available when we presented ourselves at the kiosk by the pool and they asked us to return in 15 minutes, but the towels never came and no one was in the kiosk.

6 - Finally we have been told by members of staff that the managment had been changed in the last year and that they were hired by the hotel Valentin . We wonder if this contributes to poor quality of services we received .

The response by the hotel was really disapointed...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank louislal2006
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I booked this hotel based on the reviews of food and service and we were not disappointed. From the moment we arrived to the property, they took great care in checking us in and describing all the restaurants and the amenities. Our room was clean and spacious. The pool, beaches and restaurants were beautiful and immaculate. Every single staff member couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. They knew our names by the second day and knew what we liked to drink. We didn't lift a finger and didn't want for anything. The food was great; my boyfriend and I are tough critics as we live in the NY area and have eaten at some wonderful restaurants and have been lucky to travel to some fantastic hotels. I would recommend this hotel enthusiastically and we will definitely return!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Christina P
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Royal Hideaway far exceeded my expectations. The beach was not crowded like the other resorts. We had a canvas cover over our loungers which we opted to use on a couple of occasions. A waiter checked on us periodically for drinks/food. My dream. Relaxing on the beach with someone bringing me drinks.
Relaxing, great food, well kept grounds, nice rooms. What astounded us, the service. We were treated like royalty but it was not a 'stuffy' environment. The staff was jovial, great sense of humor and fun. A shout out to "Elvis" who was the guy who got the party started. Waiters we were fond of, Jesus and Juan, but honestly so many to mention and they were all so fantastic. The staff, simply put, the nicest and most welcoming group.

A plus, adults only.

Room Tip: We were in building 25 overlooking our private pool. Rooms on the main walkway were very nice as we...
4  Thank Lauren D F
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We booked with Transat Holidays which meant Option Plus Service, VIP Lounge in Calgary and Cancun airports and private transportation to resort and back. Everything but priority luggage returning to Calgary went off without a hitch. Once outside Cancun airport we were in our van and on our way within 10 minutes max. Pickup to return to the airport was right on time.
Upon arrival at the resort we were taken directly to Reception where we were shown on a map where our room was located. Fear of all fears, exactly where we didn't want to be, next to and looking towards the Riu Playacar. The receptionist said it wouldn't be noisy there, WRONG!, but if we didn't like the room come back next day. After unpacking we just didn't like the idea of having to repack everything so didn't bother. Big mistake. Workers and their waggons walking by from 6 am to midnight clack, clack, clack and Riu Playacar music from around 9 pm to 11:30 every night. With doors closed you could not block it out. It will be interesting as to what the RHP will do when the Riu Playacar starts its major renovations next year which is a total knockdown and rebuild to Adults Only Palace and expected to take about one year.
We'd booked by email our first 3 nights restaurants reservations and met with temp concierge (ours was day off) and booked another 7 or 8 nights. She made a huge error booking us into the Club Royale when it wasn't even open but thankfully our concierge Juan Luis noticed it and got everything fixed up and our final bookings without a hitch. He also did a marvellous job of decorating our room on our 48th Anniversary. And he was the main reason we didn't go back to reception to get another room. Shoulda, woulda, coulda but didn't.
Our room was great inside and kept clean as a whistle our entire stay, turn down service every night. No mold, no odours, no peeling wallpaper but the railings on the balcony, 3rd floor, were horrible. Rust everywhere and I did check to make sure they were secure and they were but looked downright ugly and the RHP should be embarrassed to have railings in that condition. Sandblast, touchup welding and new paint job shouldn't take more than 2 days per room. Shower water temps as has been mentioned in several reviews was up and down. You'd be standing very comfortably and then a blast of very hot water followed by a blast of cold. Should be consistent.
The resort must have been full when we arrived because for the first 3 days we were hard pressed to find lounges even on the beach. After that there were lots available, including those with the tents. It took until day 13 before we were able to find lounges at the main pool. On day 14 we were told by one of the beach/pool/entertainment staff that if you see a rolled towel on a lounge it's open (rarely if ever saw that but we wouldn't get there until around 10 am), if flat it's taken. BUT we saw that many or most of the guests were just downright lazy and when they vacated their lounges they left their towels on them making it look like they were still occupied. We saw one group of 3 people using 3 lounges at the main pool, 3 at the infinity pool and 3 at the beach and they'd just move back and forth according to their whims. Aridiana at the pools said if she'd seen it she'd have told them only one lounge per person at a time. Beach is huge and beautiful, sea water warmer than the pools except for the small one between buildings 29 (where we were) and 30 which is heated along with a large jacuzzi to 40 degrees Celsius and with only about 6 or 8 lounges very private. We used it several times.
Restaurants: For breakfast Spices is a buffet and very good, eating there about 9 or 10 times. The Deck is an a la carte restaurant and makes great eggs benedict which we had maybe 4 mornings. Orange juiced, still or flat water or sparkling and coffee are poured almost as you're sitting down. Excellent service.
The Deck is open, a la carte, for lunch and has an excellent light menu. We recommended to them to get rid of The Grill (which the Deck becomes for dinner) and leave the Deck open with the lunch menu until around 10 or 10:30 pm, no reservations and casual (shorts) dress. The Grill is merely a duplicate of what's served in the other restaurants for dinner and it would be nice to be able to have something light when you feel like it and without dressing up.
Spices (evening) Mexican food – ate there once, food was good but didn't agree with me and we had to go for a 3/4 hour walk to get rid of the indigestion. Never went back. Somedays towards the end of our trip Spices was open at lunch with the evening menu.
Azia – Japanese restaurant. Ate there once. We were taken to a table outside without discussion to where there were a few other tables AND smokers. Food was ok but nothing to write home about. Would have preferred to be inside.
Palazzo and Ventanas – We ate at each 4 times. Only one word to describe the food, service, presentations, waiters, etc and that's excelente! We did try many of the items at both restaurants and Ossobuco, beef tenderloin, lamb chops, sea bass were all fantastic and cooked to perfection. We had our Anniversary dinner at Ventanas where we were greeted with a bottle of bubbly at our table and we ordered a bottle of wine from the menu. It took us 3 1/2 hours to finish dinner that night. Rest of the time in all the restaurants we drank the house wines which were from Italy, Argentina can Chile and all very, very good.
Club Royale – major disappointment. Great location but shows and buffet Mexican meal so so. We went on a Friday night for Mexican Fiesta which included a short Mayan dance, short Mariachi performance and short Mexican dancers performance. The following Monday was supposed to be a la carte and some other show but they did another Mexican buffet and an even shortened version, 40 minutes, of what we saw Friday. Epic failure on the part of the Program Director.
The Grill: first night wife had tenderloin medium rare and I had Kurobuta pork chop medium. Both cooked to perfection, service excellent. We went again a few nights later and we both ordered tenderloins because of how it was 1st time and at Ventanas. Came out cooked VERY WELL DONE. Sent them back, waiter apologizing and told Manger. 1/2 hour later tenderloins came back cooked WELL DONE this time. Wife refused to eat it, I ate a bit because I was starved. Again waiter apologized blaming a new chef and he told Manger again. I wanted to speak to Manager but think he knew I was looking for him as he disappeared.
Entertainment: Allegria was hit and miss, great sax player early when we were having dinner at Ventanas our last night and we were seated outside. We could hear him clearly so had several dances, just one other table outside, between courses.
The piano player's contract expired shortly after we arrived so about a week and a half without piano in Ventanas lounge and restaurant. Again program Director did not do a good job, surely there were piano players available in Playa del Carmen that could fill in temporarily.
Overall some very good stuff and some not so good and not up to the 5* level Leading Hotels award it holds. But we won't be back.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Riu Playacar side of the resort or you'll be sorry.
10  Thank bobfrombc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#51 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#60 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#39 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#16 of 21 in Akumal
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#20 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Royal Hideaway Playacar? Share your experiences!