“Wedding Weekend at The Royal Hideaway”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #31 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
“Wedding Weekend at The Royal Hideaway”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We just returned from my daughter and son-in-law’s wedding at The Royal Hideaway. The event and the entire weekend exceeded our expectations due to the fabulous staff.

Karina Tagliarini, the wedding coordinator, is professional, caring and dedicated. She answered all of my numerous emails promptly, arranged meetings with various vendors, reassured me during my anxious moments and offered creative input that helped make it a memorable wedding weekend.

I admit to being a Type A personality. My husband and I have a film production background so, we are very detailed oriented. Karina not only planned the wedding for 80 guests, she also coordinated the rehearsal dinner the night before for all of my guests. Most of my guests arrived a few days prior to the wedding, and Karina made certain that all of their needs were met.

Karina also put together an incredible “Dream Team.” Cecilia Avellaneda from Alquimia Events was fantastic! I had very high expectations regarding the decor and she worked tirelessly to make certain that I was not disappointed. She advised me on how to get the most value without sacrificing the look I wanted to achieve. Again, she answered all my many emails promptly, met with me on a several occasions to go over details for the rehearsal dinner and the wedding.

Joann Santa Ana from Mannia provided the MC, Luis Garcia, who was terrific. He kept the crowd dancing for the wedding and the after party. Again, Joann was available for meetings and patiently answered all of my many emails.

Martinna Carrino, from The Best Moments, provided 2 teams of skilled hair and make-up stylists for the bride, bridesmaids, and me. Everyone loved their hair and make up for the wedding (not an easy feat for a group of jaded New Yorkers). Thank you Zoe, Alex, Natasha and Alexandra.

During the entire wedding week, my guests commented on the friendliness of the staff, the beauty of the surroundings, and the quality of the food. The beach was pristine and beach chaises were always available. The staff takes great pride in their attention to detail and to meeting the needs of their guests.

I truly will miss my Royal Hideaway “family”. Again, Karina and Cecilia thank you for going above and beyond to fulfill my expectations. I am certain that my husband and I will be returning to The Royal Hideaway.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Roslyn W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (914)
  • Polish first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My wife and I celebrated her 40th Birthday at the Royal Hideaway, and once again, All the Staff and accomodations were Wonderful! The Villas are somewhat dated, and need some slight upgrades, but the entire experience with the Staff, Food, and phenominal Beach location makes up the difference! I'll start by stating that the service from our Concierge's in the Villa (Freda and Antonio) was absolutely EXCEPTIONAL when they decorated the room with Balloons and Streamers for my wife's Birthday and made special reservations and accomodations throughout the week to celebrate each day, along with the Main Lobby Concierge's Monica Munoz, Erick, and Roberto, provided us with unparallelled service and additional accomodations! The Activities folks comprised of Carlos, Elvis, David, Sergio and Iveth, kept us entertained the entire trip, and they should all be highly commended for being such a WONDERFULLY Talented group~GREAT JOB Guys!! The Las Ventenas Bar/Restaurant was our Favorite, and Benjamin and Fernando provided OUTSTANDING service/drinks each night, which exceeded our expectations! Genero and Luis at the Grill Bar were our servers, and both would go out of their way to bring us the excellent food/drinks poolside and at the Beach, and the SUPERB Bellstaff of Manuel, Marcos, and Alvaro were absolutely the BEST at their respective positions-Even the our Maid service (Miss Fara) was beyond EXCELLENT~THANKS SO MUCH to ALL of YOU!! We've been twice to the Royal Hideaway, and will continue to come back each year, simply because of the FABULOUS Staff, Food, Entertainment, and BEAUTIFUL Beach and Ocean, it's truly a Heavenly experience!!
JP and Dee Fowler

Room Tip: Second Floor Rooms near the pool and Beach are Excellent
Mendocino, California
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We spent our spring break at this wonderful hotel. We have stayed at other five star all inclusives, including Zoetry and Excellence Playa Mujeres, but Royal Hideaway is a new favorite due to its fantastic location--the beach is phenomenal, it is within walking distance to town, and there is a golf course across the street. We were also impressed with the beautiful hotel grounds and great service. Specifically, we were incredibly impressed by our villa concierege, Delia, who was wonderful about taking care of our every request and even attending to things for us that we did not think of--she is fantastic! We also really enjoyed the activities staff--Elvis, Carlos, and the rest of the crew were always friendly and fun. There are some downsides to every resort--this hotel is older so the rooms are not as spacious or updated--but the positives far outweigh any negatives here. I hope to return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank G0rd0e
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 15 April 2014

It is a nice hotel, but not very lively. It is located close to Playa Del Carmen... so close that your view is one of the city at night.

It was once a 5 diamands AAA hotel, but that recommandation vanished away in 2011.

It a regular hotel... with very limited ressources.

Food is cool at the resto bar.
Hope to have place in restaurant, if not, you have no other options.
Rooms are small, have not been renovated for a while
Sound isolation is poor to horrible, at least in bloc 31.

Je voyage souvent, et je me suis permis plusieurs sorties dans moult étoiles des Relais et Châteaux et des 5 diamands.
On m'avait vendu un service de Roi; des chambres de roi... et de belles installations...
La piscine est petite.
Le service bien ordinaire.
L'accueil est acceptable, mais bien ordinaire.
Attention ... le prix n'est pas ordinaire.
Le service d'alcool ferme à 1h00 AM.
Les vins inclus sont plutôt ordinaires.
La plage doit avoir tout au plus 200 mètres.
Au final, for décevant.

6 Thank Stephane_Ahern
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My boyfriend & I just returned from 6 days at Royal Hideaway, our second visit - we were there for 5 days last April. I honestly can't say enough great thinks about this resort...it is truly paradise, and there is not one thing I dislike about this place. The resort is beautiful, the ground are immaculate, and the beaches are soft and clean and there is never a shortage of chairs at the beach. The staff is incredible. The pool staff, led by Sergio, Carlos, and David were even more wonderful than those at our last visit. They made activities fun and we were really sad to say goobye to everyone on our last day. The food is AMAZING at this resort. Every restaurant has incredible food, with incredible service. Las Ventanas is out of this world. Even the food at lunch, whether you dine in or it's delivered to the pool, is incredible. We didn't eat one thing we disliked. At breakfast, the buffet is clean and food is awesome. Carlos, the head omelette maker was so nice and made me feel like we were old friends. There was a wedding on the Saturday night that we were there, and it was so beautiful it made me want to get married there. We can't wait to return for our third visit - we will never go to any other all-inclusive. This place is like home, but in paradise!

Room Tip: We stayed in Deluxe Garden view room - we love the location of our building as it's right by the...
2 Thank Rachel W
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Every aspect was great. The hotel and beaches were beautiful and the staff was friendly. A special thanks to hector and Jose the tequila guy both exceeded my expectations.
The entertainment and activities were second to none I highly recommend going here

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Harleyguychad
Meaford
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I won't leave a long review as most things are covered in detail by others...But this was the BEST experience (5 star all inclusive) we have EVER been too (and that includes the couples resorts).
From the moment we touched down in Cancun with a private car service to our hotel, thru our check in process with a glass of bubbly (we arrived 4 hours before there technical 3pm check-in time- and were given every consideration until then..) and thru the entire ten day stay we had not a single complaint (well ok..maybe the shower could have offered a more stable water temp other than run screaming into the shower wall from terror of scalding or from being frozen on the spot..but hey..its only ten minutes).

Restaurants were the finest (we are foodies- we own a restaurant) ...OMG the food is so delicious. you simply cannot go wrong! We enjoyed Spices for lunch (upper deck) as it was less busy and we loved the selections of bother the deck and Spices for breakie and for lunch.

The beach was beautiful..not the calm water of Jamaica Couples Swept away I admit..but beautiful, and loads of waves to play in. We walked the beach daily and with play del Carmen only 15-20 minutes walk away by beach we found it easy to wander down to shop or take the ferry across to Cozumel for the afternoon and snorkel!

The resort itself is lovely, the rooms lovely and clean (sparkling clean). We loved the secret grotto pools and the hot tubs. and most of all we cannot say enough about the service. Out of this world. They really blew the other places we have been outta the water. Now I agree that if you are looking for entertainment you may want to consider the Riu next door (they were loud and we could hear them getting their groove on (however it was NOT enough to cause sleeping issues for us). We went to Playa del Carmen for entertainment. We watched a leafs game and went for drinks, we went to a movie one night and to Coco Bongo (and that's another story..lol). If you are looking for the vaca of a lifetime and don't care if you have to leave the resort to party..GO! Run to the plane! it's awesome...trust me!

Room Tip: Inner rooms will keep you away from noisy next door partiers!
2 Thank crooksbums