“Outstanding resort!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Austin, Texas
“Outstanding resort!”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Fantastic place….would definitely recommend! It was clean, rooms were bigger/nicer than expected, and resort overall was nice. I'd give the service at the pool 3 or 4 stars…rather slow...but service in all the restaurants was a 5. I love that they had a lot of variety in restaurants and the food overall was very good, much better than other all inclusive resorts! I especially liked Spices…although they were all good. The resort was quiet…not a lot of activity, which was fine as I just wanted to have some peace and quiet. BUT, if you are wanting some things to do onsite, this may not be the place for you. There is 1 piano bar that plays music after dinner, but it was a bit cheesy and that was our only option. If you're wanting romance, this is an outstanding choice. I went with girlfriends, and we were the only single ones there, which didn't bother me, but if you're
going on a girls trip, it's just something to keep in mind. It definitely caters to couples, and the only things to do after dinner are listen to the cheesy music or sit in the hot tub-that's it. I'd like to go back with my husband sometime because it's a great value….good food, good drinks, and an overall clean, nice resort! Note: Units 24-27 are the quietest since they are the interior rooms….RH is sandwiched between 2 louder resorts so I'd suggest one of these buildings.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, request units 24-27, as these are the interior buildings…away from the adj...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Randi W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (920)
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The location of the Royal Hideaway on the beach at Playacar is wonderful, the rooms are spacious and comfortable, and the choice of restaurants is excellent. However, it's the staff who make it such a great place. We have recently returned from Honeymoon and it was my Husband's birthday whilst we were there. Our Concierge, Delia, was great. The staff are very well trained, courteous and attentive. This is an all-inclusive resort and whilst some guests do tip on every occasion, the staff provide excellent service to everyone - particularly Rodolfo, Leonardo, Carolina and Fernando. Christian, who runs The Deck, is outstanding.

Room Tip: Second or third floor rooms are lighter and brighter.
1 Thank Elaine B
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Returned May 24 from a wonderful 8 days at the Royal Hideaway. This is our 10th trip to Playa del carmen area, and our first at the Royal Hideaway. Our past stays have been at Iberostar Tucan, Barcelo Maya, Moon Palace, etc... Here goes...

The grounds were fine. Not perfect, but fine. The cement pond going throughout the place needs to have something done with it. It's just not really beautiful. Needs some fish or green or something. Just a bit barren. The localized pools near each building are a nice touch for evening swims. The place is not huge... which is nice. You can walk from end to end in about 7 minutes.

We had pre-requested a room near the beach and main pool through email. No dice. We were in the furthest building away. No complaints however. Because the resort is not huge.

The room was nice. Not Super. But nice. Not five star, but four star. The fridge didn't work, and was replaced immediately. The mirror had broken free from the wall, and one corner was resting on the table. A couple of minor issues. But not a big deal. the rooms are aging a bit, but still in great shape. The bed was comfortable, and the surroundings were great.

The food was the best I have had at any all-inclusive. Definitely five star. We enjoyed each different restaurant. Nice to have a change each night. The dinner show was just standard. nothing great. And the food wasn't quite as good there. So If I were going again, I'd make reservations for the show, not eat, and have late reservations at the Italian restaurant. The show was a solid C+.... Or just skip the whole show entirely.

The pool and beach were absolutely stunning. Five Stars. That is the reason you come to this place. The breakfast and lunch foods at the beach are great as well. BBQ by the pool daily has fresh fish, chicken, steaks, burgers, etc. Fantastic. Breakfast buffet or sit down dining. Both are great. Do not make the mistake I made and discover the pork carnitas tacos (available ordering at lunch) until the last day. Wooooh. So good. When you get there for lunch, you should immediately order them. Oh, and some chocolate and coconut ice cream. delish.

I spent all day at the infinity pool floating on a floatie, and looking at the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean. It was fantastically relaxing.

I had a massage (80 minute relaxation massage) Well worth the money. Don't pay full price, however, the dude will bother you daily at your beach chair and offer you a discount. I paid $117 including tax, and gave a $20 tip to Esmerelda. Awesome!

Service was spectacular. Everyone smiled, worked hard, and was service oriented. Well trained staff from top to bottom. I would come back to this place in a heartbeat. The only reason I didn't give a full five stars was because of the slightly aging rooms. But I would give this place a 4.5 star definitely. Enjoy.

1 Thank L0nnie
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My boyfriend and I, along with two other family members, stayed at this amazing resort for five glorious days. We staggered our days and both couples had a great experience. The resort is top notch in all ways, food, accommodations, staff, cleanliness, entertainment, etc. Daniela was our concierge; I wanted to take her home with me! She was fantastic!! She is super friendly, helpful, and polite. The rooms were cleaned multiple times a day. All the employees checked on our needs, but didn't bother us. We had a few favorites that we saw every day that we would like to recognize, of course, fabulous Daniela, and Jhonny, Jesus, Javier, and Carolina. Some of the other reviews I read on this resort were a bit silly. It was not inconvenient to make reservations at the hotels. It was actually kind of nice to walk into the intimate restaurants and have the waiters know your name based on both familiarity and reservations. Not one person came off as "requiring" tips. Up until the last day all of the other customers/vacationers were respectable and pleasant to be around. There was one obnoxious group present on our last day but the resort has many options of places to relax and spend your time at so it was not a problem. I WILL be returning to this resort, hopefully many times in the future. Thank you to the wonderful people who made our stay so incredible.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SCBRAVO
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Impeccable service from start to finish! The property is a little dated but the quality holds steady. We loved the quiet restfulness of the grounds. The food was without flaw. Complimentary room service was ideal for the lazy afternoons and midnight snacks. The pools and beach were spotless. I would definitely go back without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Ballthree
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We traveled to Playa to celebrate two family birthdays in May. The property was intimate with only about 200 rooms. The staff were very attentive and were able to accommodate our group of 11 people for every dinner reservation which was greatly appreciated! The grounds were well manicured and staff were constantly maintaining the area. The main pool area was a central hang out spot for us. The poolside wait service was awesome! The staff checked on us frequently. We often ordered snacks/lunch and beverages-I recommend the mojitos and carnitas. The food quality was the best we've experienced at an all-inclusive. We truly enjoyed our experience here-they really know how to make you feel special.

We

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank 891Rgtravel
Durham
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I cannot recommend this place highly enough! By far the most relaxing/clean/luxurious place in the area (we walked up to a few on the beach to confirm). The food was incredible - I had the best steak in my life there - as well as other fantastic meals that made us never leave the resort for a meal. That is a huge complement for an all-inclusive resort. I usually look forward to going to town for a meal, but I was sad the days we had to eat elsewhere (e.g., Chitchen Itza and Cozamel). Additionally, all of the staff were incredibly attentive, even remembering our names at many of the restaurants. My only complaint would be that some of the other guests acted like they were the only people there (i.e., loud and or drunk), but the resort could not help that. One particularly loud twit could be heard across the restaurant turning two of our meals into sessions of trying not to hear about her and how her brother had to shave before her upcoming wedding - I was thankful not to be there for her predictably obnoxious event. Back to the positives! The animators did a great job getting people involved in activities and making our vacation special. I would love to go back to Royal Hideaway Playacar anytime!!

2 Thank SarahSnoop
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#57 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#47 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#39 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal

Been to Royal Hideaway Playacar? Share your experiences!