“Very Disappointing!!!!!”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #32 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at the RHP for our wedding anniversary June 17, 2014 to June 22, 2014. This was our second visit but I must say it was a horrible experience to say the least. The biggest complaint is the resort is older and they need to update their air conditioning system. We complained about our room not getting cool the very first day and they did absolutely nothing. We complained again the second day of our visit and they said they would move us to another room the next day and meanwhile would bring us a fan... Well the next day the rooms (two of them) we were suppose to be moved to was according to them given away. They sent us to look at another room in another building where the maintenance guy was working on the air conditioning when we walked in. We advised them why would we move to another room with the same problem and we were told to check back with them later to see if that room would be cooled off. By then my wife and I were fed up. We suffered out the rest of our visit in agony. We mentioned our dilemma to the management team at the returning guest reception who apologized and stated they would correct the problem and we never heard back from anyone. Upon our return home I sent a letter to the general manager complaining about how unpleasant our visit was. We received a reply from the assistant that they would gladly give us a discount on a return visit to make up for our terrible visit. When I sent them dates they sent me prices that were not discounted.... I complained and they responded SORRY.... Needless to say we won't be going back there ever..... When you drop the ball RHP you make it RIGHT!!!!! Worst trip ever!
Kevin and Laura McNeil
Building 25 room 2521

Room Tip: Make sure you email in advance to put you in a room where the air conditioning works!
20  Thank Nostalgic1

Reviewed 25 June 2014

The entire experience was such a pleasure. The entire staff can not do enough for you, you're treated like royalty. Fantastic food and drink.....still can't get over how we were treated.
The entire vacation was so relaxing, it helps you get away from it all.

Only negative I have to say is, if your wife has a lot or makeup amenities.....not much room. The shower....not much room. Everything else makes up for it. We will be back in 2015, to celebrate our 41st anniversary.

Room Tip: If you are not the lead dog, the view never changes.....so if you want to see all of the beach, ocea...
3  Thank terry b
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I had a great 5 nights in the Royal hideaway.
Highs:
Bedrooms v nice (we stayed on the top floor so had a walk in wardrobe)
Food - especially chef Eden at Spices. Tip - spices opens for lunch too, I think a lot of people don't know this. We also loved les ventanas and went 3 times here. We tried the thai place (diamond winning restaurant) and while we were waiting we were asked if we wanted to share a table at the tepanaki table. I felt I had to say yes as we were asked in front of the other couple so I felt I couldn't say no. In the end there wasn't even a tepanaki show so we were just sitting at an odd shaped table with a couple who I think didn't really want to be with us either.
Felt spices manager and chef were the nicest staff - friendly, genuinely interested in food preferences and catering for food intolerances.
The beach in front go the hotel stretches for miles and is so beautiful to walk along
Nice house wine selections

To be aware of
Not as activity focused as other resorts( eg. Secrets maroma, excellence)
Sun loungers are always gone so so early
Got my nails varnished there but quality was not as good as usual
The mini bar only gives you a few small bottles of water. The concierge asked if we were enjoying our stay and I commented we we're having a wonderful time but I could do with more water. He said no problem.. However extra water never appeared. It wasn't a big deal but was annoying to have been told he would leave extra water.
The Italian restaurant wasn't our favourite - preferred spices or las ventanas

Room Tip: We took advice and asked for a block in the middle
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CAM30041984
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

This is my third visit to Royal Hideaway and I have not been disappointed. I usually travel with my husband as a couple but this time I left my husband at home and brought a girlfriend for a relaxing extended weekend. We both have small children so the absence of kids at this resort is a huge plus.
From our arrival, the service has been excellent and the food and drinks have been superb. There is not a single thing I can find wrong here.

Since I was last here the resort beach has been expanded after suffering severe erosion from a hurricane a few years ago and it is a definite improvement.

The rooms are very nice and are what I would consider pristine. One of the amenities I really love is the dedicated concierge who is wonderful at anticipating your every need from dinner reservations to stocking the room mini fridge with your favorite beverages.

These are just a few reasons why I've kept coming back over the last 10 years and why I hope to be back many times in the future.

I recommend this resort to anyone who values service excellence and is looking for an all adult, relaxing getaway.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Mizcrow
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at RHP this past May for our 10th Wedding Anniversary. We live in New York with 3 young kids and we're looking for a nice break from the grind - and that's exactly what we got. A few things:

1. If you're looking for a party scene this is not it. The place goes quiet by 11:00 or so, which was exactly what we were looking for so it was great for us. It was dinner, a quick drink or two then back to the villa. The place is geared toward couples, not groups. We stayed in Villa 24 and had Daniela as our concierge - she was awesome. Complaints about the noise from the resort next door worried me, but we didn't hear anything at night and weren't affected by it at all.

2. The Villas are nice, but could use touch ups here or there as other reviewers have noted. The rooms were very nice. The bed was ridiculously comfortable and the AC was good. Bathrooms are nice and big with a separate toilet room. If you like big spacious balconies the RHP lacks a bit here. The balconies are a bit small and really not much to them. We barely used them so it didn't affect us.

3. The food and booze are top notch. The food would be considered good in NY let alone an all inclusive. Stick to Las Ventannas and Palazzo for dinner. Spices and The Deck for breakfast - views and food are insane. Any booze you want is available - just specify what you want - most of it is included unless your going for some Blue Label. Lol.

4. The beach is what puts this place over the top. Walking a bit in either direction makes you appreciate how awesome the beach at RHP really is. If you're a beach person you really won't beat the beach at RHP. It's a postcard. The drinks keep coming and you just lay there and take it all in. The chair game gets played at the pool like any other resort, but my wife and I lived on the beach so it didn't really affect us.

5. Many reviewers have complained about the dinner reservations. We set up our first two before we left and the rest once we got there. You do need reservations so make them. And the dress code is what it is, so plan accordingly. Don't really understand how so many people complain about this if you know about it going in. And if you didn't know about it you should have. The vibe is very nice at night and gives the place a romantic feel.

Overall, this place was great. I want to give it 4.5 stars but don't know how. Lol. If you're looking for a nice break from the daily grind this is your place. It's low key and great for couples. The food is very good and the booze is all you could ask for. Get a Tequila Sunset or A Day at the Beach while you're on the beach. And the beach itself is the best in the area. The Villa setup makes for a nice quaint scene - a welcome break from the monster resorts in the area. Would definitely go back. Thanks again Daniela,

Room Tip: A room that faces the center of the resort is probably best although we didn't hear anything at...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jcarroll7475
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We hadn't visited RH since 2008, when we decided on a last-minute getaway for my wife's 50th birthday. We checked out the tripadvisor reviews before booking, and had some apprehension when reading the negative reviews from folks who stayed during weddings and/or corporate events.

Our week at RH could not have been any better - it was wonderful to notice that some elements had actually improved since our last stay - most noticeably, the food selections. We arrived with fresh fish being grilled poolside, and were also pleasantly surprised to see all the healthy food choices available (quinoa salad, spinach/salmon salad, multiple ceviche choices, whole grain bread). We were also blown away by the results of the beach reconstruction which was going on during our last stay...now there are literally miles of beautiful sand to walk on which were not there before...incredible.

It was a magical week away from the noise and concrete here - and the RH staff could not have been more attentive to our requests. Special thanks go out to Leonardo at Spices restaurant and our concierge, Juan Luis.

Definitely take advantage of the spa services. We had not used the spa previously, and we are literally kicking ourselves for not having done so sooner. We booked two spa treatments during our stay, and they were without a doubt, the best massages we've ever had.

We cannot wait to return for our 7th visit to Royal Hideaway.

5  Thank JZSSAV
Reviewed 17 June 2014

If you are looking for a pristine property, attentive staff, beautiful beach and delicious food, this place is perfect. I was really impressed with the condition of the rooms which were immaculate and the bathrooms are very large and well appointed. I thoroughly enjoyed the food at the restaurants which was much better than other all-inclusive resorts I've stayed at. One of the highlights is that they waiters wait on you at the beach and pool. Every fifteen minutes or so, someone was coming around offering to bring you a drink or food. The food service was outstanding.
The downside is that while it is great for rest and relaxation it was a little too sleepy. There is not much in the way of activities or entertainment and everything get's very quiet around 10 pm. I was disappointed they didn't have fun music at the pool or beach (more like quiet elevator music) and there was definitely no dancing in the evenings. One other thing that detracted from our otherwise great experience was that none of the hot tubs were hot the entire week we were there even though we asked every single day to have them turned up. We must have spoken to five different staff asking to them to do something and no one did.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper the rooms are noisy and you can hear when your neighbors open and close t...
2  Thank TrendsettingTraveler