“A great place to recharge you batteries”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #32 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed here this spring for 10 days with our two boys and we enjoyed our stay very much. This all-inclusive resort is a great place to stay in this region. All inclusive really means all inclusive, including room service. Our boy enjoyed ordering snacks at all times of the day. There are different style of restaurants on the resort and our personal concierge booked tables for every night.
The resort is aimed at the American market and as a result most guest are form North America. Given the price level of the resort there were not many other children for our boys to interact with. The entertainment crew kept the occupied.

Room Tip: The resort is very quiet, but the resort next door isn't. From our room (3313) there was a lot o...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Latresne-Bordeaux
Community_Manager_RH, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2017

Dear Valued Guest,
It has been a pleasure to read such a positive review in regards to our resort.
It is our job to make you feel more than royalty here at the Royal Hideaway.
You will always be welcome here, as your new home from home.
I will be sure to show my team your kind words, which I am sure they will be encouraged by.
Kind Regards.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here in August 2014 for 4 nights. I had done thorough research prior to arriving because we were taking such a short trip, I wanted to make the most of it. I work for a major global hotel company but chose to stay here instead because I wanted to resort "feel" instead of just a hotel. I have also stayed in other Mexico all inclusive, including Iberostar and Riu - and this one, for me, surpassed them.

Everything about our stay was wonderful. The property is beautiful, the food is great but what makes the hotel truly awesome is the staff and service. I noticed people commented on poor rooms with limited AC. I can say, our room was always freezing when we walked in (which is exactly what we wanted) and the Housekeeping staff was always in eyesight, should we have needed anything. There were comments made on the paint peeling or rusting on the balconies, this is true - but for the climate and the humidity, its obviously to be expected - and we did see them refreshing paint on a building while we were there. Any hotel in a climate like that can expect to appear tired. Little property flaws are easily overlooked when you are treated so well. People do grab lounge chairs early we noticed - but we were never unable to find two chairs together - even when we arrived well into the afternoon. The food - as you probably have read - was phenomenal and not "good for an all inclusive" - but truly fantastic. Las Ventanas was our favorite - offering several courses of smaller portions. The resort is small - which is nice, because you aren't walking forever to get places - or waiting for a golf cart "shuttle", which I have experienced in other resorts.

Royal Hideaway completed treated us like royalty - I have not one complaint of the entire stay - only that I wish to have stayed longer. The resort does not have a major nightlife scene, but we were honestly so beat by the end of the day from all the fun and sun, that we weren't particularly looking for that. 5th Avenue is a 5 minute and $7 cab ride away with plenty of nightlife.

1  Thank NicRigg

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Royal Hideaway.

It is our duty to ensure our guests have a memorable experience with us and it is very rewarding to read a wonderful review such as yours. It would be our honor to serve you again in the near future.

Thank you once again for sharing your comments,
Kind regards

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We would like to take this opportunity to relay our magnificent experience at Royal Hideaway Playacar 26 Jul - 9 Aug 2014. This was a very unique experience, one that words cannot describe. It was incomparable to any other vacation resort we have ever stayed and it will remain in our hearts and minds forever. The tranquility of the resort, the majesty and beauty of the gardens and the ocean were second only to the staff. They performed their jobs to an impeccable standard with discretion, with the utmost care and concern for us and for every aspect of our body, mind and soul.THANK -YOU to all . The Chefs: What an exquisite experience to rediscover the wonders of Mexican cuisine in its purest traditional way. We would also like to mention that all the restaurants offered exceptional fine cuisine that could easily be recognized internationally. From the moment you arrive, until the moment you leave you feel a profound desire from the staff to pamper you and to fulfill your every need. It was paradise! All the staff contributed to making this our most memorable vacation ever. The love and warmness in your hearts was displayed to us daily in your work and in your smile. Senor and Senora Bergamin. See you Soon!

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share such great feedback regarding your recent holiday to the Royal Hideaway Playacar. It is always a great pleasure and very encouraging to read such positive comments.

We all work very hard to maintain a high standard of service at the Royal Hideaway and it would be a pleasure to welcome you once again to our hotel, your home away from home.

Thank you once again for sharing your wonderful feedback with us.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Me and my girlfriend spent here 5 nights during august. The place is really nice, is located in a little village were you can find also other hotels. The common spaces are really amazing, all is clean and perfect. Rooms are very big and full of all comforts you may require. With all inclusive treatment you can forget your wallet home: you can choose within 5 different restaurants all very nice. I personally suggest Palazzo that is the Italian one. You have a personal concierge where you can ask all the information you need and you have to book here your restaurants. In all the restaurant, even at lunch time or during breakfast the service is really impeccable: waiters are very polite and they make you feel a king. Only negative part is the beach: at 7 in the morning all the nice beds around the swimming pool are taken with the towel even if persons show up around 10.30 or maybe they neither show up. On the beach there are no umbrellas so is really impossible to stay all day long.
In all restaurant at night is required long trouser and collared shirt....a little too much for Mexico...

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank F1L00
Community_Manager_RH, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2017

Dear valued guest,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at The Royal Hideaway Playacar. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Initially we were hesitant to go to an all inclusive place but as I learned most places in or around Cancun are such. When we arrived, which I remember being early afternoon, the receptionist checked us in and took our luggage to our room. We were so hungry that we ran to the nearest open restaurant, so we hit the Bar Deck. Firstly, there was barb-q happening on the side which appealed to us but then, some waitress came to us and invited us to sit down and eat. We were little confused with the options and then quickly figured out that we could pick and chose or order a la carte. The staff I must say were incredible, catering to our every whim and fancy. The room welcomed us with cold temperatures and a bottle of champagne.

The second day, we met two incredible hostesses at the Bar Deck who were more like guest relations managers. After asking us if we had ever been to Cancun and if we explored the local cuisine, we notified them that my girlfriend had not tried 'molle.' The relationship manager promptly emphasized that we must try it in the most traditional form and arranged for it the next day. I couldn't believe the service that she arranged for the next day, great table indoors with the chef bringing out everything possible that was not on the menu!!! We felt like a king and queen!

But it doesn't end at the Bar Deck. For dinner we went to Las Ventanas, with outstanding gourmet food. Me being generally and perpetually hungry, felt the same after the meal. Guess what? They offered me another partial entree!!! Azia was much the same and so was Palazzo.

The bars there are tremendous and the gym relatively empty and very clean. The pools were nice and so were the little furry creatures roaming around, called the agouti. We saw something descend from a tree and then jump up again, it was a monkey.

Let's get back to reviewing the hotel The meal at the Grill was great. Again, each place offering a choice of wine on and off the list. We had so many options. The greatest part of the hotel was the room service which was included. Our immediate assumption was that if its included, it can't be great. We were wrong and we order every breakfast in our room and let me highlight that it was brought on time, with exactly what we need and at appropriate temperatures. No cold toast, coffee or anything else.

It doesn't end there. My girlfriend asked me what "high tea" was. I told her it was a stuffy useless English tradition and while we walked through the terrace to the lobby, we saw a sign for high tea. I asked my darling if she would want to experience that, and she said sure. So we sat and sipped a wide variety of teas from all over the world with a few biscuits/crumpets. Absolutely royal treatment. The Chef's Table is out of this world. We met an older couple there from Scotland and got along famously exchanging experiences and more importantly, intelligence on the menus. This optimized our eating experience.

The rooms were clean, comfortable and beautiful. Our room was a hut like setting with a balcony and ante room before the shower and toilet. The room invited us just to hang out and relax. The Club Royale performance and dinner was endlessly superb. The people surrounding and catering to our needs were just totally like family, joking, laughing but never forgetting our personal epicurian preferences. "Sir you tried a full bodied red wine the other day but may I suggest to you a lighter wine with this 12 course meal." I mean, really, who has a memory like that.

Bar Allegria was another great evening experience. The musicians were all excellent and the setting of the place was an invite to dance. Wide variety of music, drinks and snacks.

This was just an incredible experience and I really miss it while thinking about it. You have to experience the different restaurants, room service and don't ever, ever miss the Club Royale experience!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Daniel Sumit G
Guadalupe S, Director de Recepción at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for making our Royal Hideaway your choice hotel on this occasion and for your very kind recommendation to the travel community , this positive feedback keeps us motivated to encounter the compliance of our demanding quality standards.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We travel to Mexico a lot (12 times in the last 3 years) and have stayed at many great luxury resorts. This was our first visit to the Royal Hideaway and we had extremely high hopes due to many excellent Trip Advisor reviews and a strong personal recommendation from some friends that just love the RH.

I have to start with the bad. We arrived, checked in, ate a good lunch and got our room keys at 3:00 pm without a hitch. When we opened the door to room #2224, a strong mold smell dominated the nicely furnished room. I tried to convince my wife to ask for another room right then, but she thought the room just hadn’t been used in a while and that the air conditioner would clean the air and correct the problem while we were at the pool and beach.

We swam and enjoyed the wonderful pool and beach until 6:00 pm and returned to the room to get cleaned up for dinner. We opened the door and the mold smell was even worse than before. I’m not talking about a little musty smell in the room. I’m talking a not healthy, make you cough, hit you in the face kind of odor. Worst hotel room smell we have ever experienced.

We immediately decided that we had to change rooms. I went to the lobby and explained our problem. The young man on duty agreed that we needed to move and found us space in room #2628. He agreed to let me go take a look before we agreed to anything. Our second room smelled 100% fine, so we turned the AC on high and went to dinner. The staff moved our re-packed luggage to our second room as promised during our dinner. We had a few after dinner drinks and enjoyed the live entertainment until 11:00 pm and returned to our new room. When we got there, the room was not cool. The AC didn’t work! It was late, we had been up since 5:00 am traveling, we didn’t want to try to move again. So we put the ceiling fan on high and tried to sleep … on top of the sheets.

Early the next morning I went to the lobby again and told them about the AC problem. They said they would get the maintenance department on it. I didn’t expect much improvement because of a couple of previous Trip Advisor reviews with the exact same problem. So, I asked for an additional fan to create more moving air. The fan was helpful, but the AC never worked. Our room was about 5 degrees cooler than outside. Not cool. In the 12 times that we have vacationed in Mexico in the last 3 years, we have never had a bad room … except at the Royal Hideaway, and they gave me TWO bad rooms. TWO! Beware of rooms #2224 and #2628.

The other bad service we received was from a bad waiter on our second day by the pool. We asked for water, and it never came. We asked for water an hour later, and it never came. We asked for a beer and a wine, and it never came. I had to go to the bar every time we needed anything on our second day. I got the opportunity to gently bark at the waiter and he said he was sorry. He still never waited on us once all day. Walked right by us 25 times. I just don’t think this particular waiter was able to do the job. The next day, we had good service from a different waiter and the bad waiter was on the Deck, serving food. I hope he was better at that.

Now the good. The food at RH is impressive. As good as we have had. We ate at Las Ventanas the first night. We both had the beef tenderloin and it was wonderful. Ventanas food is very contemporary in presentation and service is excellent. We had Italian food at Plazzo and it was also wonderful. The Lasagna was fantastic! The rib eye steak was way too thin, but it had good flavor. The desserts were also top notch. We ate at the Hibachi table at Azia on our last night and it was great as well. Fun to watch and delicious to eat. For some reason, not many people eat lunch at Spices, above the Deck. We had two great dining experiences during lunch at Spices, outside on the top deck, overlooking the beach. We enjoyed veal shank, grilled shrimp, chicken, coconut shrimp, beef, soups, salads, desserts … it was all great and hardly anybody was there. The Deck was crowded, and their menu is pretty much sandwiches and fajitas. Spices is much better, but if you want a sandwich … stay with the Deck. Food service at all of the restaurants was great. The house red wine needs a little upgrade. It’s not terrible, but the house wine is pretty weak next to the excellent food. The food department at the RH is the best department at the RH.

The beach, water and pools at RH are a perfect 10. However, some of the pool furniture needs to be hauled away and replaced with new pool furniture. About a third of the pool furniture is broken or worn out. You have to be early (7:00am) to get a prime spot by the pool or a cabana. If location matters to you, you have to play the game. Our cabana on our last day was perfect. Beach space was plentiful.

The Reggae band that plays on Thursday nights is fantastic! I’m not a big dancer, but I danced a lot that night. Fun and super talented group. Could have had more fun with a dance type band on Friday night, but the trio on Friday is boring and slow. Talented, yes. Fun, no.

The RH is at least a 45 minute ride from the airport, so be sure to book the private shuttle. If you had to make a few stops at different resorts along the way, it could take 2 hours. Spring for the private ride.

If you want to eat dinner early or prime time, email the resort a week before with your restaurant choices and time requests. They got us exactly what we wanted, when we wanted.

I sure wish we wouldn’t have had the two bad rooms. Because we really enjoyed the food, drinks, the beach/pool and the Reggae band. This is a nice resort. If our room hadn’t failed, we would have rated a 4.5 and been planning a trip back. But, going 0 for 2 on rooms … I doubt if we return.

Room Tip: Beware of "Mold Smelling" rooms and "bad AC" rooms.
7  Thank Foodman3

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share such great feedback regarding your recent holiday to the Royal Hideaway. I look forward to sharing your comments with the staff at the hotel.

It is with regret however that some aspects of our hotel did not meet your expectations; We are working so hard with all the staff to give you the best service. Your comments have been taken on board and will help to improve our service and quality of them for all our guests. If you need some more information or give us a new feedback please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you once again for taking the time to post your review. We hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel again soon.

Best regards.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

This place is so nice.This was our first trip here (and to Mexico) and we had a great stay. It's a super relaxing place with two main beautiful pools right on the beach and others spread throughout the resort. It's quiet and no one bothers you about timeshares! They do cute, fun activities like water aerobics and bingo (I won a bottle of tequila playing that!) throughout the day. All the staff at RH is beyond kind and friendly and I was amazed how they treated and were treated like friends by apparent frequent guests. The all inclusive is terrific, and there are great for options. You must have reservations for dinner and that can be a little quirky timing wise. My only complaints here are that the doors seem to slam very easily and we were woken up quite a few times. also, I wish the bar by the pool/beach was open later. It closes at 6pm. We were still relaxing on the beach and it would have been nice to be able to get a drink.

Room Tip: This is a place to chill out and relax. don't stay here if you are looking for excitement.

Dear valued guest,