After having a terrific time at the Royal Hideaway Playacar in February of 2008, we decided to try to organize a neuroscience seminar here for 18 people. This involved many negotiations with Diana Manrique, the person in charge of coordinating for groups and weddings, and she did an exceptional job of accommodating us and making allowances for all the special requirements of the group without really much in the way of additional charges. In our seminar brochure, I offered my own very positive assessment of the food and service, and I was concerned that the place might not live up to this level of high press in terms of the seminar members. However the experience was uniformly very positive for everyone in the group, both in terms of the service, the rooms, the exceptional food, and the general atmosphere at the resort. In fact, most of the people in our group commented that they thought this was the finest resort they ever stayed in.
We wished that Las Ventanas had been available, but the resort had their menu every other night at the Grill. I'm not sure why they had two restaurants out of commission (Spices and Las Ventanas) and this probably is not great planning on their part.
The tennis pro, Gustavo provided an excellent workout virtually every day, and it was only by dint of working out every day that I was able to not gain a lot of weight, because the food is simply irresistible. Their Asian restaurant compares favorably with the finest Asian restaurants in New York and elsewhere at least in my judgment.
Were there any problems? Well, in all honesty, Internet access continues to be a bit iffy, and we could not get decent Internet reception in our seminar room. Additionally, Internet access even with a strong signal, did not allow us to download the New York Times other than the main front page webpage, as there seems to be some kind of incompatibility between their router system and the New York Times website. I also probably think the showerheads could use an updating.
However these are small nitpicks and they certainly do not in any way spoil the overall impression of great comfort, superb service and beautiful surroundings. I have read some negative reviews of the place, but in all honesty they seem to be written by people who appear to be fairly "high maintenance." Whenever we had any kind of difficulty or problem, our concierge took care of it immediately and gracefully. Obviously, no place is going to get positive reviews from everybody.
Overall, our second experience with this exceptional resort only confirms our extremely positive first impressions. I would recommend this not only for couples but also for small groups looking to have a professional meeting in beautiful resort where you are truly taken care of all the time, and where your cares melt away quickly. It remains my favorite place to go in the world. As we were greeted on our return trip by over 2 feet of snow in the frigid Northeast, we just wished for one more dinner at the Royal Hideaway. Could we just have our table for six at the Palazzo at 7:30 tonight?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award winning luxury all inclusive resort set along the beautiful beaches of Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Ideal setting in a serene environment for complete rest and relaxation. Adults only. Member of The Leading Hotels of the World. 2008 winner of the coveted AAA 5 Diamond Award. 11 villas with private concierge are spread throughout the property's immaculate grounds. Six gourmet restaurants serve delicasies in menu-style dining. A full service spa offers the ultimate in papmering and body treatments. Personalzied service and attention to detail set this resort a world apart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Expedia, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Royal Hideaway Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Playacar And Occidental Resorts
- Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Mexico
- Occidental Royal Hideaway
- Royal Hideaway Playacar Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen