“service is great”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #31 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 June 2005

the hotel has awesome people there-Anna, Pablo, Gus, Alejandro- they are just fabulous

there is no beach-food is great at the grill,azil,ventana-palazzo's is awful and I will eat anything

breakfast was very avergage

dive shop is awesome and the fishing is alot of fun

the hotel is way to expensive for what you recieve

I have been traveling to Mexico for 14 years and this is not the cat's meow by any means but it is still better then Dallas

We would not return but instead continue to look for another spot in Playa Del carmen

Stayed: June 2005
15  Thank gwhite
Guest_Experience_RH, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2017

You will always be welcome here, as your home from home.

I will be sure to show my team your kind words, which I am sure they will be encouraged by.

Kind Regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,472)

A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 15 June 2005

Simply, the best stay I've ever had in all my years of travel. My wife and I spent our Honeymoon here and from the moment we arrived to the moment we left everything was 5 star.. It's so incredible there that your taken away not only by the view but by the quality of the service you receive.. We were so impressed with the maintenence of the grounds as well as the rooms. This is a PERFECT PLACE TO SPEND YOUR HONEYMOON OR ANNIVERSARY. We met so many young couples and made some friends along the way. We will continue to go back on our Anniversaries. Villa 27 or 23 are very good villas. It's almost impossible to get an ocean view room but the way this resort is designed you won't care about that. The food there is awesome.. Try the Hibachi grill at least twice, great sushi and its a great way to meet more cool couples. I love the fact that adults can be adults without looking over their shoulders to see if any kids caught you doing or saying something bad. The staff there makes it 5 star. Not much of a night life but they do have nightly activites every night for the guests. If you want to get a real good seat by the pool get their by 7:00 A.M. to get a spot and if you want a sun bed get there even earlier, everything is first come first serve. The drinks are always better if you go to the bar and make sure you tip the guys so you can get some extra BOOM BOOM.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 15 June 2005

After using this site for well over a year, I am finally pleased to write a review of my own. We had our honeymoon here from May 30-June 6. After a long 13.5 hour flight delay, we did not actually arrive at the RH until 2:30am, but were still greeted as we stepped off our shuttle and were told they had been waiting for us. Check-in was smooth and we immediately ordered room service, which we felt had a very extensive menu and took no longer than 15 mintues to be delivered every time.
The grounds: Impecable! There was one day it was raining and the men were out there raking leaves from the walkways literally as they were falling from the trees and using squeegies to keep the grounds dry. I have never seen such hard workers in my life. Never a piece of trash or out of place leaf in the whole resort.
The food: Where to even begin. We eat fairly frequently at a 5-star restaurant in town here and we felt that the presentation and quality of food at the resort matched this. The desserts at all of the restaurants are incredible and beautiful, we ordered 3 sometimes and split all of them. We liked that the restaurants are never crowded so you get wonderful service. It is very difficult to ever find anyone without a smile on their face, and they are so eager to please. Azia was a favorite-we sat at the table where they cook your food in front of you. Palazzo was awesome-we sat outside so we could enjoy the view of the resort and ocean. The Sunday night theater was awesome. We heard the other show during the week was a buffet, but Sunday was a 4-course meal and a good 2.5 hour show. We were impressed. At every restaurant, they give you a house appetizer, so that was always fun to be surprised with some sort of interesting food. We generaly tipped 2-3 dollars at dinner each night-they deserve every bit of that if not more!! Definitely take advantage of tea time that they have every day from 4-6 in the lobby area. And make sure you try the mayan coffee, but be sure to watch them make it-it's quite incredible.
The room: We had a 3rd floor room with a vault, so it felt very spacious in there. It seemed like every time we stepped out, it was clean and new towels were given when we came back. The towel creatures were a cute touch every day. The bathroom with dual bowl vanity is a good size with a separate shower and bathtub. They always replenish shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. They also have q-tips and cotton balls for you as well. Fridge was always stocked with plenty of bottled water and a variety of sodas and beer.
The beach: I was most scared about this, but I barely even noticed anything was wrong. I would say the chairs are a bit scrunched together, but I don't think there was ever anyone on either side of us though. There was always someone coming around getting our drink order, we didn't even need the flags they give you. We did tip the drink man a dollar or two and never had an empty glass, but honestly, even when we didn't give him anything, the same was true. When you see how hard they work, you will want to give them something too, even though it's not necessary. We were always discreet about giving them tips because we didn't know what their bosses do when they see that. If you want to take a walk the beach, definitely go to the right as you're looking out into the ocean-the left has some serious beach issues and it's hard to maneuver around things.
There's so many more great things I could tell you. I found it useful to e-mail my direct questions to people, so please feel free to ask me anything. drakesarah@rockwood.k12.mo.us

• Stayed: June 2005
20  Thank Sarah D

Reviewed 14 June 2005

We found this hotel to be about average considering what you pay per night. I'll do my best not to repeat the others below.
Postives:
1. Food itself is great at restaurants.
2. daytime scene: It can be competitive to find your ideal place by the pool/beach, but there are lots of options. The water is beautiful and warm. The beach is soft and white - even though there is less than there used to be. Lots of beach/pool waiters to bring you delicious margaritas. The activities guys were great, usually something going on if you are up for it.
3. Housekeeping was excellent - didnt disturb us once and did a great job
4. Grounds are well kept.
Negative:
1. Like another reviewer, we left a few things by the pool (our fault!) and they never turned up in lost and found. Seems like a pattern here...
2. We are pretty laid back people, and we both found the service average. Lots of empty water glasses and undelivered drinks during our stay. Limited availabilty of beers other than Corona from the tap (which was often warm by the time it got to us) .
3. Room service. The food quality and service seemed much worse than any of the restaurants. Everytime we phoned them, the person that answered spoke very little English, whcih often restulted in mistakes in our order. Although this is Mexico, we expected that room service would be proficient in English as most of the guests speak English. For example, we ordered a salad and were told to wait 25 min. It arrived 45 min later. As soon as the guy left, we realized he didnt leave us utensils. We phoned immediately and tried our best to explain that we needed a fork and he either didnt understand or pretended not to. After believing that he finally understood our request, we waited another 25 min and the fork never arrived. So we called them and told them to cancel the fork and they can come pick up the tray. Still not sure if he understood (no apology), but the tray was gone when we arrived home. Last item on room service, they will stock your fridge with "anything you'd like" EXCEPT BEER. We found that strange. They will only bring you glasses of Corona from a tap.

Side note: we got a little antsy and did a day trip to Cozumel. You just walk or take a $5 cab ride to the port and its a 30 min ferry ride ($18 each, round trip). I would highly recommend getting off the ferry and renting a car (shop around, lots of scammers!) and exploring the beaches on the opposite side of the island. I HIGHLY recommend an air conditioned car, its $5 more and well worth it.

In closing - we really enjoyed ourselves and think it is worth a visit. They got all the really important things right.

Stayed: June 2005
9  Thank jenniferindublin

Reviewed 12 June 2005

My wife and I stayed at the RH recently for our honeymoon. I would like to begin by saying that we used TripAdvisor to help select this hotel, and I have had to accept the fact that not everyone shares the same taste. I think there are some for whom this hotel is ideal. For me, it was refreshing and nice, but not the experience of a lifetime. I would recommend ignoring any reviews that give all positive or all negative points about any hotel. It is also my opinion that many of the negative postings result from lack of flexibility that is mandatory when traveling to foreign locations. One should not expect customs or food to be identical to what one would expect in one's home country. Indeed, I have found these small differences to be one of the great aspects of travel.
The most outstanding aspect of the stay here is the service. The staff are very friendly, and always make every effort to please the guests.
The grounds are well done, and we generally were amazed at how tranquil the grounds were. This was not true of the beach.
The beach is somewhat sparse, as noted in other postings, but this is not the main problem in my opinion. The beach is rather crowded for my taste. Some may like it this way. If you are looking for a magical, secluded beach, then I would recommend looking elsewhere. The water, however, is pretty.
We were generally pleased with the restaurants. I particularly recommend the Grill for dinner, as it has a beautiful location. I had a mixed grill (Argentinian-style beef and lamb, quite good), while my wife had an excellent grouper. Palazzo was also quite nice. Spices has very tasty fare throughout the day. We only ate at Ventanas for breakfast, which was good. I cannot recommend Azia, even though I am an enormous fan of Eastern food. They served Japanese and Thai style dishes. We opted for the Japanese. Perhaps the Thai may be better, or perhaps we went on an off-evening.
The rooms are very comfortable, and the maid service was excellent.
I hope this provides you with useful information.

• Stayed: June 2005
23  Thank JeremyCleveland_OH

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 June 2005

My husband & I were here for 5 days in the beginning of June with some people from his company. We were here 2 years ago with the same company. When we arrived at Cancun airport, we found the transportation company that was going to take us to the resort. Avoid anyone else other than the company that should take you...they try to get you to go with them and who knows how much they charge. It was hot upon our arrival at the Royal Hideaway 45 minutes later but we were welcomed with moist, pleasant scented towels and a glass of champagne. After check-in we had to wait about 1/2 hour before our room was ready. Although it was hot, we enjoyed a drink at the poolside bar. The grounds are magnificently manacured -the landscapers are always working...trimming the trees, mowing the lawn, painting... We had a villa near the pool and Spices restaurant (#31) which was always clean and our concierge was very helpful. We always had a towel sculpture on our bed after the room was cleaned. They even cleaned my soap dish...how's that for service? Although we only dined at Spices and Azia (our reservations were planned for us by the company we were with), it was said Palazzo and Ventanas was just as good by the people we were vacationing with. Azia was our favorite. Request to have dinner at the habachi grill. The spring rolls, chicken, shrimp, fried rice, banana dessert and chocolate truffles are out of this world. Spices, the restaurant above the poolside grill offers a delicious hot & cold breakfast buffet where Ventanas near the lobby offers an elegant sit down breakfast. Both are very good. You can work off those calories at the workout facilities. There are a few relaxation pools and a hot tub on the grounds. The spa also offers massages for more relaxation, as well as facials, manicures and pedicures. During our last visit there was alot more space on the beach but this beach is fine. In fact, it is situated above the shore where many people walk so we have a little bit more privacy than the other beaches down the way have. There are alot of sandbags but they are hidden. Several topless women walked the shore and sunbathed. There was one lady sunbathing at our pool but it didn't bother anyone. There are several activities by the pool such as BINGO, water volleyball, & volleyball in the sand. At the beach you can snorkle, take scuba lessons & scuba dive, rent a jet ski, go parasailing, etc. Cozumel is just a 45 minute ferry ride away. You can see it from the beach. A few of the people we were with had a 'swim with the dolphins' experience. From the look of their pictures, it looked like a great time. There are also tours to the pyramids, the jungle and you can shop on the popular 5th Avenue where you can find authentic Mexicana. Evenings you can opt to go into town (Senor Frogs is pretty popular-the airport has a Senor Frogs store) or you can enjoy activities at the Allegria Bar like taking Salsa lessons, dancing to the band or playing casino games. "Love is in the Air" by John Paul Young is their theme song which some of the staff perform a dance to. Many of the staff we noticed were on staff last time we came. Which brings me to say that they were all very nice and many of them had a good sense of humor. Thank you for such a great time!

• Stayed: June 2005, travelled on business
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 4 June 2005

Okay, don't listen to people who are not well travelled or only travel to complain.

We just returned from RH which we chose for our honeymoon.

As far as the welcome, bellboys and checkin...Bellboys were very attentive and took all of our bags. We were escorted to the main lobby where we were seated in elegant furnishings and given champagne as well as cool aromatherapeutic towels...nice.

We were given a full tour of the resort and felt well informed. After our tour, we were escorted to our room. The room was Spotless, not musty and the AC was on.

Our Concierge introduced himself and told us if we need anything....Let me know. We booked several tours shopping etc and all went perfect.

The resort itself is beautiful. The grounds are impecable. Pools are almost sterile and blue. As far as that beach chair myth...we were able to get a chair with relative ease whenever I wanted.

Food! Exceptional. I don't mean good for an All Inclusive. I mean it was excptional period. All resturants should be tried at least once. Drinks are top shelf. No garbage liquor.

One day we decided to go to Chichen Itza to climb the Pyramid. I left my wedding ring (I am the Groom) on the bathroom sink. It is a ring which I designed myself and has tremendous sentimental and financial value. (about 1 years salary for hotel worker). I would have taken it!!

When we returned..Still where I left it. In fact the cleaning person cleaned around it! I hunted her down and gave here a healthy reward. She had tears in her eyes. we also told the concierge and manager.

The next day we went out to sample some tequilla in town which is a 3 minute drive. Taxis (nice taxi's and drivers) are always right out front for $4 trip to town. When we were on our way out the bellboys we made friennds with(Philip) was not wearing his name plate. We asked him what happened and he said he lost it.
When we returned to the hotel he was wearing it again. So you found it we said...No, he said I had to buy a new one for 10 dollars...I handed him $10 and said good night. He said "now you are my Godfather."

Mexican's are happy, fun intelligent people. You will have the time of your life.

Go to the Royal Hideaway..Go anywhere you want..But take advice from a traveller:

Treat people everywhere you go with respect. Suprise the people that are working very hard so you have a great vac. Smile, laugh and say thank you. Spend a few minutes to learn their culture and spend a few dollars to make someones life a little easier. Remember, You are fortunate....You can take a vacation.

• Stayed: May 2005