Royal Hideaway Playacar
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Riu Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Allegro Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
  • Pool
Viva Wyndham Maya(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Viva Wyndham Azteca(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
The Reef Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Riu Yucatan(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
ClubHotel Riu Tequila(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Riu Lupita(Playa del Carmen)
4,931 results
All reviewslas ventanasthe grilldinner reservationsallegria barvilla conciergespices restaurantclub royaledeck restaurantdinner theaterinfinity poolchef's tablewalk in closetother resortssax playerour honeymoonall inclusive resortquiet resort
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 July 2009

My husband and I have been going to the royal Hideaway for 3 years now. The first and second visit were phenominal. This last visit. You could tell that the Economy had taken its toll on the staff (fewer staff obvious cutbacks) We arrived at 1:30 and couldn't check into our room until 3:00 that was OK. The first room they put us in although very clean smelled terribly of mold, they moved us, room two smelled as though it had been sprayed with an air freshener but soon massive mold growth was spotted growing under the sinks in the bathroom. The third room didn't see any signs of mold, but it hit you in the face every time you entered. Our suitcases and clothing smelled of mold so bad when we returned home ( these items were in drawers and hanging in the closet). It was so bad by the third night I had to put covers over my face. In talking to the staff they sounded as though they were aware of mold, but didn't really think this was a big deal. It is not like we asked for a refund, we just wanted a safe place to sleep. My company performs mold remediation and water damage. Their are building materials and EPA registered products that can be used to prevent this from happening and getting worse. Almost afraid to go back.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank rmdlmstrinc
Community M, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2017

Dear Rmdlmstrinc,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your vacation with us.

It is with regret however that some aspects of our hotel did not meet your expectations; We are working with all the staff to give you the best service. Your comments have been taken on board and will help to improve our service and quality of them for all our guests.

Our guests' comments provide us with an opportunity to see our hotel through their eyes giving us insight into any service that may have room for improvement to enhance our future guests' stay among us, therefore we are grateful for the time you spent to share a review of your personal experience in the hotel.

We hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 20 July 2009

I can't wait to go back! My husband and I had the good fortune of staying at the Royal Hideaway Playacar for our honeymoon in late September - early October 2008. It was magical!
The resort is gorgeous. It overflows with charm and it's very clean. That's very important to me. I can't relax if I'm grossed out by my surroundings. The staff was incredibly friendly and extremely accommodating. It's a boutique hotel - just the right size - and the staff soon remembered us by name. If you enjoy being treated like royalty - this is the place for you.
The grounds were immaculate and beautiful, food and drinks were fantastic (even for an all-inclusive resort), high tea every afternoon was a nice surprise, pool is gorgeous and large, rooms and bathrooms are spacious, lovely, and well-maintained.
Now for the most important part - the beach. I loved it! There were large sand bags placed along/near the coast line, but even that didn't detract from the lovely beach. Plus, we knew to expect that, thanks to traveler reviews here on TripAdvisor. The water is clear, turquoise and the sand bags actually helped tame down the waves a little, which I liked. The sand is the whitest white you've ever seen.
One negative point - our room was located near the neighboring hotel's outdoor bar and pool area. That hotel has nightly party and dance events that get VERY loud. We heard blasting music, people telling into a microphone and general crowd noises late at night. We're in our twenties and by no means consider ourselves party poopers, but even we got a tad annoyed by this. It still wasn't enough to wreck our good time. A small price to pay for such a magical vacation!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank orlymel
Community M, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2017

Dear Dallas,

We first would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays in Playacar and for sharing your comments on your experience among us.

Reviewed 19 July 2009

We stayed here in October of last year, and all I can say is "wow!"! It is very sophisticated and upscale, and has all the facilities you would expect from a resort. It's lovely and quiet, and has some great restaurants with amazing food. I liked the smaller portions they served...sometimes resorts in that area serve oversized portions which can be grotesque if you're from Europe!

The theatre show/dinner is worth doing, though of course you won't be immersing yourself in the local culture too much, given that you are still in a resort! It's done very well though, and the acrobatics are great.

Each building has its own concierge, and they really do take care of their guests. I have been to other resorts where they pretty much ignore you unless you ask for something, but here, they are so attentive and really do their job well. Our concierge's name was Ricardo, and he was wonderful.

I would definitely recommend this resort for a relaxing holiday, where your every whim is catered for.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank snowy08

Dear Snowy,

Reviewed 15 July 2009

We had been to Royal Hideaway for the first time about 4 years ago. The service was the best we had ever experienced. Before we had a baby, we used to travel often, usually staying at the more exclusive five star hotels that catered to couples. When we go on vacation we are looking for romance and this place definitely has it.

This was our first vacation since the baby and we could not be happier that we chose to go back to Royal Hideaway. We stayed at Maroma over 3 years ago just before I got pregnant and that was our last vacation (we love Mexico). The service just does not compare to Royal Hideaway. I will say that Maroma does have amazing food, their guacamole rocks my world and I did crave it while in Mexico this time, but Maroma has it's own issues. As for Royal Hideaway that is my only complaint, if you even want to call it that, it's more of a preference really....in my opinion, Royal Hideaway needs more local, ethnic cuisine. Maroma had primarily that, very Yucatecan and it was great! I love food, and I LOVE my Mexican food, can't get enough, so when I see a hot dog and fries on a menu in Mexico, I wonder why is that necessary???? To make the Americans happy I guess? Look your in Mexico, if you don't like Mexican food then don't got to Mexico, makes sense to me why do the rest of us have to suffer, lol. I want my Mole' : ) I understand the hotel is trying to make everyone happy but I think most people would appreciate a true culinary experience of the local cuisine. But again, that is just my preference. I went to Mexico with my best friend over 10 years ago and all he wanted to do was go to hard rock cafe and get McDonald french fries, so I guess to each his own.

I truly feel bad for the people of Mexico because things are tough right now, they are really hurting. The hotel seemed empty...which was great for us but I am sure not so great for them. Low occupancy for us meant a great deal, an upgrade to a beautiful ocean view Jr. Suite which we would never be able to afford otherwise, and 30% off all spa treatments : )

Yes there are only 2 of the 5 restaurants open each night, but you can only eat in once place at one time can't you, so I don't see the problem. We got to eat where we wanted every night. My husband did email the hotel about a week or so in advance to make the dining reservations and we had no problems...they even honored our request for our seating preference (outside on the balcony at Palazzo, for example)

The only down side to the low occupancy was that the restaurant that normally would serve the al la carte breakfast was not open. Only the buffet, however it was is a beautiful spread. There is just about every tropical fruit you can imagine, a full bar, a made to order omelet station and more. You can also eat outside on the deck overlooking the ocean and it is just beautiful. Yes I would have liked the option of maybe having something other than just a continental breakfast served to my room to eat out on our beautiful terrace (which we had due to their very graciously upgrading us to that suite) but what can you do....then it would be just absolutely perfect and well lets face it, nothing is perfect, but it was pretty close.

Also, normally Spices is open for lunch, and there would be my Mexican food, however again, due to the low occupancy it was not. Yes we could have eaten there for dinner but we were only there for 4 nights and I did not want to give up experiencing dining at the other restaurants since we were already eating in Spices for breakfast. By the way they were all beautiful and romantic, Ventanas, I could have skipped. It was trendy, but I live in NYC I can have trendy anytime...when in Mexico I want tropical and romantic..but again, personal preference. If we had the extra $300 in our budget we would have done the dinner on the beach, we did it at Maroma and it is a beautiful experience, but this was a VERY last minute desperately need vacation that we were not even planning on taking, so maybe next year. (notice how often I mention food, yes I love food, it is in fact a big thing for me)

Mexico is such a beautiful place and the people are just wonderful (and did I mention I love the cuisine) that is why we keep going back when there are so many other places we can go. The weather was beautiful, the ocean was beautiful, I did not see or hear of one single person with swine flu nor were we kidnapped by any drug lords....it was the same Mexico we visited 3 years ago and we can't wait to return. As for the beach, it was STILL beautiful even with the sandbags, they actually look like rocks honestly. Just take a little beach walk to the right or the left and check out the atmosphere/beach at the other neighboring resorts along the shore and you will want to RUN back to your beautiful, tranquil resort.

All in all they went out of their way to make our trip special. EVERYONE seemed to know it was an anniversary for us and that we had a 2 year old back at home! By the time we left it felt like you were leaving family and it was sad. Our concierge Riccardo was wonderful and so was everyone else. We are very appreciative and grateful to everyone there for making out vacation so special!

I would recommend Royal Hideaway to anyone who wants a beautiful, relaxing and romantic getaway. Pretty much everyone there was on their honeymoon or celebrating an anniversary, it's the perfect place. You will not be treated better anywhere else in my experience and opinion.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tempest1226

Dear Tempest,

Reviewed 6 July 2009

My wife and I recently stayed at the Royal Hideaway for our honeymoon. From the moment we were picked up at the airport to the time we were dropped off at the airport we were treated like royalty. The service at the Riyal Hideaway was exceptional! I've been to a handful of 5 star resorts in the past but the Royal Hideaway is leaps and bounds bounds above those other resorts in every category... cleanliness, service, location, value rooms.

My wife and I almost changed our mind before we left. We were thinking of switching because of complaints about the lack of beach and the overly hyped swine flu pandemic. I'm glad we didn't because we would have missed out on an amazing honeymoon. Although the beach has suffered from past hurricanes there is still plenty of beach to enjoy... although you will likely find you will spend most of the time floating around in the infinity pool or in the hot tubs that are practically right on the beach. In fact if your like my wife and I you likely won't even leave that area. The staff at the pool will look after your every need. They are constantly adressing you by your surname and looking after your every need. They'll bring you drinks while you relax in the pool, cabana or in your lounge chair. If you get hungry they will bring you a menu and you can order whatever you wish poolside... If your on the beach they have green flags that you simply stick in the sand and they will bring you whatever food or drink you wish.

As for the swine flu... It seems to be blown way out of proportion. We were informed no one at the resort has been infected and we didn't see or experience anything that would prove otherwise. Some reports on trip advisor indicated that some people have had issues booking reservations for the restaurants but we didn't have any problems getting in to any of them in fact we went to each one at least twice... and if we couldn't get in there was always room service which is included in the all inclusive deal. They will bring you whatever you like 24hrs a day.

If your looking for a quiet and relaxing resort where you are pampered with great service than definitely try the Royal Hideaway. My wife and I will definitely be planning a return trip in the near future.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple