“Excellent!”

Ranked #32 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
“Excellent!”
Reviewed 27 July 2005

The hotel and its amenties were more than one can imagine in service and class. Highly recommend for a relaxing and stress-free vacation. Excellent food. Excellent trained staff. Beautiful grounds. Very calm place.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Guest_Experience_RH, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this review, 18 January 2017

You will always be welcome here, as your home from home.

I will be sure to show my team your kind words, which I am sure they will be encouraged by.

Kind Regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (914)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 17 July 2005

Let me start by saying that I stay in hotel rooms over 100 nights a year for business. I have also enjoyed many hotel and all inclusive vacations with my husband. This was our 10th time to visit the Yucatan. We have stayed in Akumal, Cancun and Cozumel.
We just enjoyed a week of good food, diversionary beverages and sun at the Hideaway. It is a very - very good place by all inclusive standards. It is however priced nearly $1,000 per week higher than other all inclusive resorts.
We did not get turn down service 2 of the 7 nights, no towel art, and very little help from the concierge. And - believe it or not - there were kids the last day of our stay!!!
The staff was very friendly. The grounds beautiful. The food good. (Azia was outstanding) In general it was the same quality as a high level hotel like the Marriott or Hyatt.
It can be "buggy" but it's the season! The bathroom floors are slippery - but an extra towel on the floor solves that problem. Tips are included........but you'd better be ready to tip for excellent service as us American's have created a monster! The best service goes to those who tip. The pool and beach chair problem has also escalated to riduclous proportions! People are now taking the pool floats to their rooms at night instead of first come first serve!!!
We did enjoy our stay - but next visit to the Yucatan we will choose either a full service hotel for the same total amount of money - or a less expensive but good all inclusive.

30 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Upstate, SC
Reviewed 17 July 2005

My wife and I just returned from the RH after a 5 day, 4 night stay. True to my nature, I will be brief:

THE GREAT:

1) Service. All but a few went overboard. tipping helped, but it was earned!
2) Weather. They couldn't help that, but bad weather might have jaded things
3) Other vacationers. All were very nice to be acquainted with at the pool and other places
4) The facility. What a place! It was spotless and well groomed. Leaves were being picked up as they dropped!

THE GOOD:

1) The rooms. The rooms were not very big, but well appointed. Unfortunately, ours faced the Allegro and a couple of electrical boxes. Third floor was tough to get to after a long day of relaxing!
2)The Health club. it had a great deal of equipment, but it was small and cramped when multiple pieces were being used at the same time. Water and towels abound
3) The food. I found the only thing that I found of average quality was the sushi. The tuna was thin and not of fine quality. the salmon was not orange, maybe because they sliced it too thin. the rolls were good. OUr best dinner was at the grill by the beach, followed by Palozzo.

THE "COULD BE BETTER":

1) the pool. I was surprised that the main pool was not cleaner. THe smaller pool was blue and luxurious, I felt the larger pool should have been also.
2) needed more padded furniture down near the pool
3) Cigars WAY overpriced at Ventanas :)

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would go again in a second!

22 Thank trek55

Reviewed 5 July 2005

My wife and I arrived on a rainy Monday and were very impressed with the entrance of the Hotel. Royal gated entrance that gives you the "wow" factor upon arrival. We were escorted to the lobby and served two champagne glasses while we checked in. Our bellman escorted us to the room while given us the tour of the property. After some research I gathered the Royal View was the room we wanted prior to check in but it was not available...not a problem because the room we received was a very pleasant surprise!! Gorgeous large bathrooms!! Beautiful balcony overlooking the property/courtyard/pool. This was the regular luxury room. Each Villa has their own concierge. We had Alma. She was great as she accomodated us in all five restaurants throughout our 7 night stay as well as the Royal Show. She booked us two massages (Alejandra was awesome!!!) Alma also put us on a tour to Tulum (Snorkeling inside caves was quite an experience) Alma was GREAT!!
The service is without question the best I've ever experienced. They are all extremely friendly and always begin their conversations with a nice "Hola!!"
The pool water temperature could not have been better if I had set it myself. The drinks from the bar and the non stop food makes you feel like royalty!!! Truly the place to be for your Honey Moon. We will return!!

• Stayed June 2005
22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Oklahoma
Reviewed 27 June 2005

We recently visited the Royal Hideaway at Playacar, Mexico for a week. Our frame of comparison—a week at the Adventura Spa Palace (a resort a little further south on the Mayan Rivera in Mexico) last November; in addition we have taken numerous cruises of the Caribbean and Mexican Riviera on Princess, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

The price of the Royal Hideaway is about 40% greater than the Adventura Spa Palace—this is true for when we went and it appears to hold for other times of year that we checked on the internet. At a premium of 40% more than a “comparable” resort, we expected a good deal more in terms of amenities, service, etc. at the Royal Hideaway—especially since it bills itself to be one of the “leading hotels of the world.” This was not the case—we were disappointed in the rooms, the service, the food and the overall experience.

Physically the Royal Hideaway is nice, and the ambiance in the restaurants was very nice, but the rooms were inferior to what we had at the Adventura Spa Palace. The rooms had far smaller Jacuzzis, very few of the rooms had an ocean view, the chairs were not comfortable, and there wasn’t enough countertop space to put the many items that individuals on vacation have with them. The Adventura Spa Palace also provides a stocked liquor dispenser gratis in the rooms; the Royal Hideaway does not.

There was a severe lack of sufficient air conditioning in two of the restaurants. We ate at Azia twice—both times it was hot in the restaurant. We ate at Spices a number of times for breakfast and lunch and once for dinner. Invariably it was hot. In both these restaurants the temperature is totally unacceptable for a resort of this supposed quality.

The service at the front desk was very uneven; a few times we were ignored in terms of getting help, while at other times the staff was helpful—up to a point. But, in general, the staff did not want to extend themselves to provide consistently outstanding service. The cleaning service in the rooms was, at best, poor. A number of times we had to request that fresh towels or fresh glasses be placed in the room at night, and at one time the porch went three days without being cleaned. This also occurred with some dirt on the floor of the room.

The dinning room service was uneven. We found some of the waiters and waitresses were very good, but others were not. While, in general, there appeared to be sufficient help, sometimes things just did not get done properly. Often the waiters and waitresses seemed more concerned about getting the right plates, silverware, etc. on or off the table, or setting up a fresh table after it was vacated, that they forgot to provide service to the guests who were already having a meal. A number of times we had to ask for more water, wine, coffee, etc.

The presentation of food in the restaurants was always good, but the quality was uneven. We had a number of meals that were ordinary in terms of taste; a few that were bad; and some that were good. Some examples of poor meals are the following: (1) one night two members of our party had steak or beef at Vantanas—while the taste was fine, the beef was tough; (2) one night one of our party had the veal chops at Palazzos—the meat was tough, there was very little of it, and it had a lot of fat on it. and (3) one of our party had the vegetable quesadillas at Spices three times—the first two times they were fine, but the last time they were uneatable. They tasted like something was wrong with the ingredients and they had spoiled. Finally, they served instant coffee in Spices restaurant at noon! Given the small number of meals being served (relative to the Adventura Spa Palace or a cruise ship) the food was, on average, no better and maybe slightly lower in quality than we have experienced elsewhere.

Another issue we had was in terms of understanding many of the staff working at the Royal Hideaway. Our experience has been much better at the Adventura Spa Palace or on cruises—their staffs had, in general, much better command of English than we experienced at the Royal Hideaway. In addition, the quality of the staff training was poor at Royal Hideaway. While some of the staff were well trained and wanted to meet the guests needs, overall we experienced a lower level of service at the Royal Hideaway.

We also had difficult experiences with a car rental at the Royal Hideaway and with contacting the tour company to determine when our transportation would be to take us back to the airport. Given the relatively small size of the Royal Hideaway, these experiences should have been better.

Overall, when you pay a significant premium, you expect a commensurate higher level of ambiance and service. That was not the case at the Royal Hideaway; hence, our conclusion is the Royal Hideaway is substantially overrated and overpriced. There are far better, and less expensive, alternatives for a quality vacation on the Mayan Riviera than the Royal Hideaway!

A final footnote: After returning from the Royal Hideaway we were talking with a travel agent who had recently been to the Royal Hideaway. Her experience mirrored ours in that she was very disappointed with the room, the service and the meals.

31 Thank AmigoOklahoma

Reviewed 27 June 2005

Warning: This review is long, but very informative!!!

I searched and searched and searched the web for the best spot to go on my honeymoon. I wanted everything to be perfect. After reviewing several hotels on tripadvisor, the reviews for Royal Hideaway continued to be positive. I spoke with my travel agent, who is a Virtuoso agent, and she immediately said that we would without a doubt enjoy the RH.

After our flight had been delayed for ten hours we reached the RH at 2AM. Worn out, tired, and mad at the airline, the bell man immediately took our luggage and we were checked in in less that three min. We found the room to be extremely clean and had a bottle of champagne and fruit waiting on us. What a joy after such a long day of travel! The next day it rained continuosly, so we enjoyed a nice lunch at Spices. The staff was quick to entertain us since the weather was so poor. We had a fabulous time brushing up on our Spanish and enjoying authenic Mexican cuisine! We even sat by the pool in the rain, and the staff quickly set up umbrellas around us so that we would not get soaked.

Our private concierges booked all of our dinner reservations and Mayan ruin tour. She was helpful in telling us what we would have time for, the best things at the resort, and she constantly had a smile on her face.

Dinners were fabulous! Not at all what you assume since it is an all inclusive. Very elegant dining, excellent wines from the Baja Pennisula, and fabulous desserts. All dinners are al la carte rather than buffet style. Our favorite place was Azia, the Japanese steak house. They offer excellent sushi as well. The best atmosphere was at Palazzo. We also enjoyed the late night activities at the Allegria bar so check out the entertainment each night there. The buffet breakfast at Spices was incredible!!! You eat overlooking the gorgeous blue water and sip on freshly squeezed OJ.

While sitting around the pool, free five minute massages were offered from the spa staff. One day, the staff pushed a cart around of fresh fruit for a mid afternoon snack. The staff by the pool was great. We always had a drink or food...whatever we desired.

We felt that Royal Hideaway was an excellent choice. If you read reviews that complain about price, they should know better seeing as how you are paying for a resort that has a five star ranking. Obviously you are attending a fine resort so it is more expensive! If there are food complaints, first, it is Mexico, not the USA. There food standards are slightly different. Secondly, order off the al la carte menu responsibly. If they complain about service, they are too picky bc every single need is met that the RH. These complaints about things being stolen...for the record, we never had anything stolen. At the same time, we were careful with our things. We utilized our in-room safe and watched what we left lying around. Be smart people...A) Things are stolen in the USA so they will get stolen in Mexico too B) Dont take three hundred dollars and leave it in a bag by the pool while you swim in the ocean for an hour.

If you are interested in night life, there is night life. The Allegria bar has a mini dance club inside and after dinner we would sit, drink, and mingle with others. One night we played trivia on by the entertainment staff! If you got the answers wrong you had to take a tequilla shot. There was plenty of night life for those that chose to participate. Also Playa del Carmen is minutes away and there are countless bars. A cab ride into to town is only five dollars so its def. worth checking out.

Please feel free to email me if you need any info or want to see photos of the resort. LizEngler@aol.comI will be happy to assist in any way I can. We loved the RH and are already thinking of going back next year!

• Stayed June 2005
41 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

San Diego, CA
Reviewed 22 June 2005

We returned to the Royal Hideaway for a 2nd time last month (May 21-28) and found the resort to be just as great, if not better, than our first visit in April 2004. For background purposes, we are a married couple, 39 & 40, and travel to Mexico approximately 6 times per year (Cabo and Cancun, mostly). We are no strangers to all-inclusive resorts and prefer high-end properties that do not necessarily accomodate children (although we have one of our own).

I was skeptical about the employees remembering us from our first trip, but in fact, we were very much recognized by many staff members (although I'm not sure if that's good or bad). The resort was in great condition - the groundskeepers really work hard to maintain the beautiful gardens and foliage. And yes, the beach had somewhat receded, but there was plenty of sand between the pool & the beach. Interestingly, during our visit last year before Hurrican Ivan, very few people spent time at the beach and most everyone hung out at the pool. This year, however, it seemed as though everyone was at the beach instead of the pool. Sadly, however, we tried, but could no longer walk the entire beach to the town of Playa. We got as far as the Reef Club and had to take a cab ($4).

Our Concierge, Gisel, was fabulous and we used her services constantly. I definitely recommend taking the time to get to know your concierge - Gisel had a wealth of information at her disposal and made things happen for us without question. This year I learned that on a rotating basis, one concierge stays until 7:00 p.m. to cover for all 11 buildings, after the other 10 concierges go home at 5:00. The night that Gisel was covering, her phone literally rang every 3 seconds - I saw her hustle and bust gut for every guest, not just the guests in her villa. Most people were calling to change their dinner reservation time or venue. The woman was clearly a professional and after witnessing her incredible multi-tasking capabilities, she earned my unequivocal respect.

The Grill was our favorite restaurant, followed by Palazzo. Try the ravioli appetizer at the Grill - I think I ordered it one night as an appetizer and dessert - it was that good. Although the choices at the buffet breakfast are plentiful, I preferred breakfast at Ventanas, complete with mimosas, of course. Lunch at the poolside grill or in our pool/beach loungechairs was a daily event for us - the Mahi plate, Mahi sandwich and Philadelphia cheesesteak are highly recommended (they were served on the best baguette bread, something I've never experienced in Mexico before). The food choices, presentation and ultimately, the quality and taste are superb in all the venues.

My husband made his usual spa appointment for a massage and this year, I actually booked a facial w/an extra mini leg treatment, which my aching running legs & feet needed. It was pricey, but well worth it and I highly recommend requesting Herman, who has been at the resort since it originally opened. My husband ended up getting a haircut & beard trim and his stylist did a great job.

I recommend going to afternoon tea at least once during your trip. We didn't go once last year, but after meandering up to the lobby area one afternoon headed for the giftshop, we found ourselves at a table for two and quickly learned to enjoy the champagne, finger sandwiches, and strolling sax player. This was a great place to hang out and watch all the new guests arriving (I'm a people watcher). I think we ended up going 3 different days during the week.

We hired a private driver for the day ($100), who took us to Tulum and Akamal. We arrived at Tulum just as they opened (3rd in line), which was a good thing because the place filled up with people getting off the tour buses. If you're planning to go, and I recommend you do once, you must pay the entrance fee with pesos (38 pesos each, I think). The beach at Tulum is absolutely stunning and one of the pictures we took now serves as my screensaver - I've honestly never seen a prettier beach in my life.

The resort definitely caters to couples - mostly honeymooners and people celebrating anniversaries. I highly recommend this resort over most of the others in the Playa area, but it's not for everyone. If you're looking for a great nightlife, this is definitely not your place. I must say that we've been fortunate to meet some really great people on both our trips to the R/H. Last year, we met Kent & Contessa who were on their honeymoon and we've become great friends. This year, John & Kelly were on their honeymoon and we've recently been in touch with them since our return. Nice place, nice people.

Last, but not least, I recommend tipping these hard working individuals. Yes, I know, the price you pay for this resort is more than most and tipping is supposedly included. But there are definitely exceptional people working here and what you and I consider to be pocket change can possibly change the quality of life for someone working here. We tipped consistently, completed simple comment cards at each meal (I think the staff gets kudos if their name is listed on a comment card), and we constantly received excellent service.

Enjoy your trip and feel free to email me if you have any specific questions.

• Stayed May 2005