“Never again at the RH!!”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #35 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
California
“Never again at the RH!!”
Reviewed 16 August 2005

This was our first trip to the RH and my husband and I were so excited to take a much needed trip with no kids. The first 3 days were nice, beautiful grounds, no beach, and the food was so so. Air conditioning was not working well at all, and the room service was awful! I felt like the employees were all very nice from concierge to waiters and hostesses. Very gracious!
Unfortunately we were stuck at the RH for the Hurricane and it was awful! They put us in the theater at the hotel with people from other resorts who were loud and obnoxious!! Many people became ill that night throwing up and Diarhea, including myself. The hotel charged us the full amount for the night we were in the shelter even though we tried to leave. The next day they gave us a discount for $375.00 US even though we were stuck!!
There was no service and the Management was really really rude! They stopped serving alcohol the day of the hurricane and still didn't serve it until after we left on Tues. We found out the other resorts were not doing that. The manager said they didn't want a bunch of drunk people in the streets. I couldn't believe it. One of the guests was very very ill with fever, chills and throwing up. We physically had to make the manager call an ambulance. I could go on and on. We have contacted orbitz to complain and also stopped pmt for the night they charged us $375.00, We didn't even have sheets on our bed. It was a horrid experience!!

16 Thank Cristab

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (933)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 16 August 2005

My wife and I just returned from the Royal Hideaway on Friday, 8/12/05. This was our second visit, as we had been there two years ago. We were supposed to have been there the Tuesday following the hurricane that Sunday night and obviously had to reschedule. We were anxious as to the condition of the hotel and how it might have impacted the amenities. We were pleasantly surprised that other than looking at some leaves lost on the trees and one broken window at Spices (special order), you'd never have known that there was a hurricane 3 weeks earlier. The resort next door was closed due to damage as were a couple of others. My wife and I determined that the quality of construction was the determining factor in surviving the storm.

We found the food had improved over the two years, especially at the Asian and Italian restaurants. We did not do the cheezy show that they do one night a week as we had experienced it on our earlier visit.

There has been a nice investment in the city of Playa del Carmen and is only 5 minutes and a $5 cab ride away.

My wife and I are not ones who usually return to the same place twice as we love to experience new things and new places. The lure of The Royal Hideaway pulled us back and we're glad it did.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Guest_Experience_RH, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this review, 18 January 2017

You will always be welcome here, as your home from home.

I will be sure to show my team your kind words, which I am sure they will be encouraged by.

Reviewed 12 August 2005

We stayed at RH July 15-19. We had the pleasure of staying for hurricane Emily. I must say they handled it beautifully. Yes, the windows were boarded up, and yes some of the resturaunts were closed, and yes some of the activities were canceled. But, we were put into a safe place, fed, given not just water but soda, and in the end they refunded us a healthy chunk of change for the packages they were unable to provide us with.

Beyond that, the grounds and rooms were beautiful. The service was amazing. The food was great. I have nothing bad to say about this resort, except...why can't room service come to my house?

Our concierge, Roy...was a bit nervous...it was his first hurricane at the resort...and he disappeared...we decided he had gone on a mission to put little masking tape "x"s on every window in cancun. But honestly...we enjoyed ourselves and would go again tomorrow!!!

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 10 August 2005

We stayed at the Royal Hideaway from Aug 1st - Aug 8th for our honeymoon. The resort is amazing. The food and service were fantastic.

Pros - Food, Service, and the grounds.

The beach is not bad at all. I saw some older pictures of the beach and it has completely changed from a year ago. It was definitely big enough.

As for the "locals" on the beach, there are people that walk by trying to sell things, but they don't bother you if you're not interested. You don't even notice them.

The water at the hotel is perfectly fine. You could drink it right out of the sink if you wanted. Myself and my wife drank "flat" water from the beach bar every single day of our vacation and never got sick. We never had to use bottled water for anything.

Every restaurant is very high class. The food and the service in the restaurants were great.

The only negatives from the trip were that they forgot to clean our room 1 night and we had 1 bad breakfast experience.

The breakfast experience:
They didn't give us our menus until we asked for them 10 mins after we sat down and then 5 tables that arrived after us ended up getting their food before us. We had to ask a manager to check on our food and he apparently waited until they cooked it and brought it to us. We think that someone near us actually got our food and we were skipped over.

Everything at the hotel was so perfect besides those 2 things, I wouldn't even lower any of the ratings.

• Stayed August 2005
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 9 August 2005

We stayed at the RH for our honeymoon for one week. The previous week we were married on the beach in Cancun at the Omni (great hotel). I will write a review on them later. We had a great time at the RH but the hotel needs to improve some areas.

Let me start by saying that the RH is a nice property. The grounds are beautiful and they are very well kept. Our room was also very beautiful - but it should have been. We had a duplex suite which cost us $6,000/week land only. It had three balconies, a wet bar and a tub with a separate shower. The appearance of the entire hotel was top notch. I wouldn't change a thing.

The food, however, was not as good as advertised. The meals ranged from pretty good to quite fair. We thought Azia had the best food and Spices was the worst. Breakfast at Spices was decent. The only dish that we found memorable was the chicken fingers at the pool grill. I believe that is a huge black mark on a property that boasts gourmet food.

The problems at Spices typified the problems with the hotel. These problems showed on occasion at other restaurants/bars but they were consistently present at Spices.

1. Spices is infested with flies.
2. If you would like a beverage - just ask - two or three times.
3. AC is almost non-existent.

Sometimes service was great at the RH and sometimes it was not. Our room was very clean but some of the restaurants were not. In fact, my wife was served ice water by the pool with a large insect in it. The reason why this happened was because the ice troth is left open (I believe this is against code in the US). Only when I demanded bottled water were they able to produce it for me. The fact is, for $6,000/week, I should not have to demand anything. These types of incidents repeated through out the week.

Another incident irritated us. We needed to go back to Cancun for a few hours to retrieve our wedding photos. I asked them for a car and a driver to take us to Cancun and bring us back. Eventually they were able to get a rental car with a driver that did not speak English, but I was shocked to find out that a property that charges $6,000/week could not easily produce a car with a driver.

I would return if they changed the following:

1. Pay less attention to the flies in the streams (every day the clean the property's streams) and more attention to the flies in the restaurants and the drinks.
2. Turn up the air conditioning
3. Have one casual restaurant that you don't have to make reservations at night.
4. Remove the word "no" from their vocabulary.
5. Get some Dos Equis.

Sorry for the long review. I hope it helps. In short, this is supposed to be the best ai in the area. If you really want luxury, skip the ai properties and go for a Fiesta Americana or the Ritz in Cancun. If you must have ai, go to a property (such as the Omni Cancun) that knows why people go to Mexico in the first place - fun and sun in a casual, friendly atmosphere for a reasonable price.

• Stayed June 2005
33 Thank duckbilled

Cary, NC
Reviewed 2 August 2005

This was our second visit to Royal Hideaway. Our stay was from July 7th to the 13th. We enjoyed this stay as much as our first visit in April 2004. All service was wonderful (including cocktails and food on the beach). Pay special attention if Eddie is your beach server. He goes the extra mile and deserves an extra tip (even though he didn't expect one). The massages at the spa were wonderful. Our concierge was Victoria in Villa 24. Great villa (quiet, near the pool and beach). We had great breakfasts at Spices and Ventanas. We ate at all the restaurants and I believe you will not find better quality food at any other all-inclusive resort. We ate and drank at RH throughout our stay this time and in 2004 and never had sickness during either visit. There are a few beach vendors walking the beach offering jewelry and parasailing. But never did these vendors bother us while we were relaxing on our beach chairs. The beach and the turquoise water are beautiful and remind us of the Grand Caymans. Expect close spacing of beach chairs which can be a problem if smokers are nearby. But check out the beach beds for something different. The atmosphere at RH is laid back. Although they have entertainment at the Allegria club, don't expect a wild night life at RH. For those of us in our 30's and 40's the entertainment is fine, but you'll need to try in town (PDC) for bar hopping and clubbing. The RH does not allow kids, so it is a great place to kick back and relax while being pampered by their staff. Here's hoping their recovery from hurricane Emily is completed quickly. We look forward to returning again.

8 Thank MojitoNC

Reviewed 27 July 2005

The hotel and its amenties were more than one can imagine in service and class. Highly recommend for a relaxing and stress-free vacation. Excellent food. Excellent trained staff. Beautiful grounds. Very calm place.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#50 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#41 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#22 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#40 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal

Been to Royal Hideaway Playacar? Share your experiences!