My husband and I recently returned from a 6 night stay at the Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. We are from Virginia so we really needed to get away from the frigid winter weather, but we also wanted to travel on a budget. So, we took a chance and booked the trip with IMS Vacations through a promotional deal online. We were extremely skeptical about the legitimacy of this deep discount but we decided that it was worth the risk. The promotion stipulates that one of us must be 30 years old, have a combined income of at least $60000, be married and living together, and that both of us must attend a 90 minute timeshare presentation. Just in case, we brought proof of all of these stipulations because there was no way they could verify this information online. The only documentation they required at the resort was an ID (passport of both you and your spouse) and a major credit card.
Despite our worst fears, our vacation turned out great! We had absolutely no issues during the entire stay. The presentation lasted about 3 hours but this was more a result of us chatting than anything else. There was no pressure to purchase and we were left to ourselves for the rest of our vacation.
We found the resort itself to be immaculate and enormous! We were placed near the beach so our rooms were older. We appreciated the close proximity to the beach so we were willing to sacrifice a newer room. I cannot say that the room was great but it was fine for our purpose. There was a strong acidic smell in the bathroom which they promptly fixed. The only thing we had to be careful about was our front door. If we did not shut it a certain way, the door remained unlocked. Our maid had no idea so sometimes our door would be unlocked when we returned at the end of the day. Fortunately, the safe seemed secure so we were never too concerned.
The beach is absolutely beautiful, expansive, and immaculate! The staff was constantly picking up after us as well as cleaning any seaweed that came ashore. The resort has a ton of bars and great drinks. Anyone who says they are watered down/lacked enough alcohol must have been drunk already! They made every drink to order, had great beers on tap and worked very hard. We never had to wait more than a minute to be served. [As a sidenote: I would not recommend their house red wine but their white house wine (sauvignon blanc) was not too bad.] We tried to tip at least a dollar every time they served us at the bar, a couple bucks at the buffets, and at least five bucks at the restaurants. They truly deserved every penny.
For such a large resort, they did a great job with the food too. I am not the biggest fan of buffets but they always had plenty of variety. The breakfast was always my favorite. Their burgers were delicious…for someone who rarely eats red meat, I couldn’t help but have one at lunch each day! We thought the Italian buffet was sub-par but it is actually connected to the main buffet so you can always go back and forth. We went to the Asian, French, and Mexican a la carte restaurants. They were all great but the Asian and Mexican were particularly good. Remember that unless you are a member of the resort, you may only go to 2-3 a la carte restaurants during your stay.
If you consider Sandos Playacar, please realize that it is an extremely family-oriented resort. There are tons of families, children of all ages, and large groups. My husband and I did not mind but if this is not your idea of a vacation, definitely go elsewhere. We do have to say that the entertainment was excellent…probably some of the best we have ever seen at a resort. The gym was state of the art and there were activities going on all day long. We never went to the spa but I am sure it would not disappoint. The game room is also great although for the number of clientele, it did not have enough equipment. When the main bars closed at night, there is even a disco where you can continue the party.
We flew using Spirit Air for the first time. It is definitely a low-budget airline. If you would like more info regarding our experiences on this airline or at this resort, please do not hesitate to contact me: email@example.com.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is an all-Inclusive hotel in Playa del Carmen with both family and adult sections. We are ideally located on a magnificent white sandy beach in the gated community of Playacar, within walking distance to downtown Playa and Fifth Avenue. Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is located only forty-five minutes from the Cancun International Airport, and the pier serving ferries to Cozumel is a short distance from our property.Playacar is a private, master-planned community situated on the southern edge of downtown Playa del Carmen. Guests at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa enjoy this exclusive community’s impressive infrastructure, including an 18-hole golf course designed by Robert Von Hagge, the Xaman-Ha Aviary, pristine biking paths, and Mayan ruins, accessible to the public for hiking.Riviera Maya is a protected region where many remaining artifacts from the fascinating Mayan civilization can be found. Surrounded by Mayan archeological zones, such as those at Tulum, Coba, and Chicen-Itza, this Playa del Carmen hotel successfully preserves a strong sense of Mayan culture onsite, adding an authentic feel and flavor to the vacation experience in Playacar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Holiday Gems, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sandos Playacar Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandos Playacar Beach Hotel
- Hotel Sandos Playacar Beach
- Beach Playacar Resort Sandos
- Sandos Playacar Resort
- Sandos Playa Del Carmen
- Gala Resort Playacar
- Sandos Gala Playacar
- Sandos Playacar Mexico
- Sandos Resort
- Playacar Sandos