“Great Value, Quaint Resort”
Review of Allegro Playacar

Allegro Playacar
Ranked #84 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed a week there in May 2014. Excellent value. True....it was not the glamorous resort we are used to (like the Now Sapphire & Excellence), but it was a great value. Food was good, especially the Italian restaurant. Bar was good, even serving brand name liquor (like Cuervo, Absolut & Captain Morgan's, which we did not expect). Staff was excellent. Resort was very very clean. The time share people approached us once, and we declined the presentation, and they never again approached us. Ask for a bed topper & the bed is perfectly fine. We had plenty of hot water & lounge chairs available to us. The guests are a varied mix of Americans, Mexicans, & Europeans. 1/2 hour stroll into Playa Del Carmen. We walked the street into town & strolled the beach back. Yes, the rooms are small, but we never spent much time in our room. Large closet with hangers & 4 large shelves. Our room had a free safe. We booked through a travel agent & Apple Vacations & paid a $40 upgrade (for the entire week, not daily) and got a beachfront room. We felt safe, well fed, relaxed, and had zero issues. The AC worked fine in our room if we shut the bathroom door. Most of the resort is open air though. One evening we chose to leave the window open & get the sea breeze. Beach was phenominal & again...plenty of lounge chairs. We felt this resort was cleaner than the Dreams Peurto Adventuras, and much quieter also. WE'd definitely go back!

6  Thank jaguarsuzi
There are newer reviews for Allegro Playacar

Reviewed 20 May 2014

I was so impressed by this hotel. We requested a beachfront room and were given the most incredible room right on the beach. Every room has a balcony with a hammock which was a really nice touch.
The staff here is so friendly. Everyone tries to go the extra step. The concierges are very accommodating of your needs. The servers remembered me and how I like my coffee (they brought me an americano every morning at breakfast). The bartenders are friendly. And the entertainers are very funny, nice people that make you feel welcome. The nightly shows are good, much better than I've seen at other hotels.
The ocean and beach are beautiful. Playa del Carmen is 5 mins away by taxi, costs $7. Lots to do in Playa del Carmen - food, shopping, night clubs/bars etc. Cozumel is an hour away by ferry from Playa del Carmen and you can rent a scooter for $25/day and drive around the entire coast of Cozumel. Excursions are fantastic. Went deep sea fishing, caught a mahi mahi which was filleted right at the beach and served up by a local restaurant for us to eat on the beach. Lots of history to see - Coba and Tulum are not far. As well as cenote, an freshwater cave swim. Lots and lots to do here! And I did feel very safe too.
The Mexican restaurant is great! Fresh, delicious food. Late night tacos are served from 11-1am made fresh to order (these were amazing). The breakfast buffet has a made to order smoothie station. Premium alcohol. The hotel itself is very relaxing but offer many activities for those that like to keep it active.
I would absolutely recommend this hotel and will likely be back!

Room Tip: Request a beachfront room if you can!
9  Thank AshleyCagg
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The Pool area had ash trays ever where , most of the guest are European m and they smoke every where , Sorry But its a nasty and smelly habit . next is the lack of a hand rail going into the Pool with the Bar, also no hand rail in the shower / bath , not easy for seniors . and lastly the AC is a cold water system , and never gets cool , last item is the bath room order , which smells like an out house . Oh lastly is the young drinkers , and the non stop use of the F Word . I will never return !!!

4  Thank Virginiaarv
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The place is OK and for a beachfront property reasonably priced, but we and many of the others in our party had no air conditioning in their rooms. At one point they even sent some engineers to come work on it who only laughed, tinkered with some stuff and then left it in the same condition. The food was surprisingly decent but don't risk ending up in a room without A/C. My experience is that the locations off the ocean are a far better value. Sure, you might have to walk 5-10 minutes to get to the ocean but your money will go a lot further.

1  Thank Joe E
Reviewed 18 May 2014

By far the most superb resort I've been to. The staff is incredible, the location perfect, the views are breathtaking with the Best stretch of beach and ocean view in the area.
Everyone, and I mean everyone made us feel welcome and special. This was my 13th trip to a resort and my 9th trip to Mexico. I do not think I will stay anywhere else in Mexico now.
The staff was absolutely wonderful and made the trip fantastic. Are the rooms small? Yes, but spotless and very well maintained. We had an issue with the safe one day. I went to front desk and asked to be fixed. It took me about 4-5 minutes to get back to my room and maintainance was there waiting on my patio! I was impressed!! Who wants to take away beach time waiting for someone right?!!
The entertainment staff were very energenic and all seemed to absolutely love what they did. The bartenders fast and fun!
Silvia is the sweetest person I've ever met. She goes beyond awesome! She knows everyone's name, is so helpful and serene and just an absolute doll!!

The area where the resort is located is very posh and glamorous. there is a small stretch with shopping that is less than a 5 minute walk away. A walk into Playa Del Carmen is about 25 to 30 minutes via the walkways or about 30 minutes via the beach. Both walks are very pleasing to the eye, you can't go wrong with either path. If is too humid and hot to walk a taxi is 7.00 USD.

I've always booked a different resort with every trip to get a different feel and flavor of the culture but will be booking my stays now at the Allegro for all future trips.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Tricia824
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Upon entry of the resort, check in was quick and painless. When passed off to some random marketing person, we were haggled about visiting another resort for a free excursion or spa treatment of choice. For me, I do not schedule appointments on my vacation. I will admit, this approach totally ticked both of us off right away.

Next was the room - small but cute room. We noticed the AC didn't work that well. The window was open in the bathroom. I closed the window and made sure to close the door to the bathroom in order to keep the room cooler. The room needs quite a bit of updating, but it was definitely not the worst. The beds seemed hard, but I never had a problem sleeping!!! I had some amazing nights of sleep - so no complaints on the AC issue or hard beds. Oh - no need for an alarm as the birds and ferrel cats will let you know when the sun is coming up :)

Booze - I did not drink while on this vacation, but the booze selection seemed pretty amazing!!! If you love dos xx and top shelf vodka and rum, you'll be in heaven.

Food - I was not impressed, but did not starve. Background - we are from Dallas and have a plethora of great food especially tex mex!! I looked forward to splurging on pizza and burgers (Hey, I'm American!!), but it was not that great. The French fries at the burger hut were the best!! Salads and fruit were fresh and delicious!! Omelet bar for breakfast was my saving grace. Coffee was delicious every morning. Late night taco bar is worth staying up for if you don't overindulge in the booze and beautiful sun.

Summary - don't let the hagglers upon entrance set the mood for the trip. Bypass them, and get to the pool for some amazing sun, great activities, and relaxation. Try the food and see what you like. A lot of people loved the food. After all, most people do like the food!! Enjoy yourself - make it great!! Drink, laugh, meet people, and enjoy the staff and resort.

P.S. The photographer was great!!! Get memorable photos taken!!! You won't regret it.

Room Tip: I overheard kayak.com and getaroom.com own a few rooms on this resort. Booking through those website...
4  Thank Carmen T
Reviewed 17 May 2014

From the minute my party of 3 couples walked into this resort it was very sad. The front desk attendant was very rude. We was finally able to get into the rooms around 3:45pm. None of the rooms had good ac or ceiling fans. The rooms were very hot. One of the rooms had black mold though out the shower, another rooms shower head was barely being held up with a drywall screw. the small refrigerator was not keeping anything cold. I walked back up to the front desk and told them of the complaint. I was told that the refrigerator was not to be cold just to have a light chill. The informed me that someone would come down to the rooms to check everything asap. We also spoke to our applevacations rep and informed him of the complaint. 2 days later still no one had showed up even with me complaining. On day 3 at 4:30pm a maintence man showed up to say he would be back in 5 minutes fix the fan and replace the fridge. after waiting 4 hours I called the front desk and told them not to bother cause we was leaving for a while. At this point none of the 3 rooms had been fixed and we was all ready to leave our much needed vacations. Day 4 while out on a excursion they fixed our ceiling fan. The other 2 rooms were never fixed. The rooms were spott checked everyday. The same top sheet was on the bed 2 days in a row. There was a small pink stain on the corner of it. We WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN NOR RECCOMEND IT.

Room Tip: Revamp the staff and buildings.....
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
#51 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#40 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Allegro Playacar? Share your experiences!