“Lovely receptionist”

Hotel Maya Turquesa
Ranked #195 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 28 February 2014

A group of us stayed recently in the hotel and we really enjoyed our stay. The receptionist who checked us in was very helpful and friendly. I don't know her name but she has been looking after us trough the whole stay. Also it was lovely to come back every day to a very clean room with new animal made from the towels (different every day). Nothing was too much trouble, very good value. Definitely worth to recommend to everyone. Many thanks for all your help.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Maya Turquesa

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Wow can't believe all the bad reviews.

I stayed at this place over a week and it was awesome value for money. My advice for any hotel booking is not to book too many nights ahead online, just book one perhaps and go from there, better still just turn up as Playa is full of hotels!

The reason I say this is that you are far more likely to be in a better room and get a better rate if you don't book in advance. If you have already paid online then you cannot blame a hotel manager for saving better rooms for walk-ins. They are just trying to run a business. I have stayed at many hotels around the world and this is nearly always the case at budget hotels!

So the owners were friendly and room cleaners did a great job. I had a great estudio at the back of the property for a good price, much cheaper than the miserable German speaking guy offered along at the Sahara place which looked similar.

Had cable TV, mini-kitchenette, balcony, comfy bed. I think they have recently upgraded the rooms because they looked very smart for this price bracket.

I really cannot fault Maya Turquese, you get what you pay for, but the location is great, it's peaceful but 2 mins from Quinta 5.

Some of the other reviewers sound like the would moan about anything.

You will not be disappointed here, don't let other reviews put you off.

Room Tip: Do not book in advance, they always had spare rooms in the week I was there and it's high season...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank nice-n-cozy
Reviewed 16 January 2014

One point for the receptionist, Nina who allowed us to move rooms after a LOT of arguing. No other redeeming features. It's noisy, cramped, dirty, uncomfortable and unsafe. Our room flooded while we were out and the staff refused to help us mop it up. The roof terrace looked nothing like the pictures online or in the brochure. Our door keys never worked. There was no wifi or safes in the rooms (the cleaners leave the doors open whilst swapping the dirty sheets for other dirty sheets). It's over priced and too stressful for any holiday stay.

Room Tip: Book a suite a least
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank CarrieLang
Reviewed 19 December 2013

They put me in a room closest to the front office. Mallo. They had chairs set up in the hallway 2 feet from a huge pic window. Locals use it as a lounge ALL NIGHT. Slept bad with the noise. I walked by the bus station the next morning and found a nice place. More $ but peace is worth it and the whole place was just remodelled. I was the only one there! 800 pesos vs. a miserable 500.

Room Tip: dont stay near the pool
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank MichaelSuperG
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I stayed there for almost a week and it was very good. Clean room close to every thing i would recommend this place to my friends. i can't say more because i enjoy my stay. and i would go back again. as u walk out the hotel u have Restaurant ,pharmacy, and you are one block away from the beach and all the entertainment u need.

Room Tip: We got one of the room on the second floor great room
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2013

Stayed for one week and it was the most stressful hotel we have ever stayed inn. The noise echoes throughout the entire hotel, The bedsheets were stained (yak). Holes in the ceiling, the room was stinky, like very toxic chemicals. Woke up with a headache and a sore throat and sick to my stomach. The spot lights from the outside light up the room because there were no blinds or curtins on the windows. To get to the room on the second floor the staircase was very narrow and you had to watch your head. AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST THE 'DO NOT DISTURB SIGN' MEANS NOTHING TO THE STAFF. THEY JUST WALK INTO THE ROOM AND TAKE THE SIGN OFF. ********RUN FAST AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL************

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank abbie123154914
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I was traveling to Mexico with a group of 5 friends to visit the ancient Mayan pyramids in Tulum for December 21st 2012. Once we were done with all the ceremonies and get togethers, we had to look up a hotel in a rush because we had forgotten to get a room previously. We stopped at a internet cafe in Tulum and made the reservation online, which required you to supply a card number to reserve the room.

Once I got there the staff was sort of rude (Saturday night 11 pm) but since I'm fluent in Spanish things went a little bit better. I had to wait for them to confirm my reservation on the phone, in which they said that I had to make my payment in cash because the card was only to save my room. I was strung out on 3 days no sleep with my friends and my attention span was off (my fault). I asked staff for a receipt and they handed me my reservation papers back and told me they were as good as the receipt.

Upon arrival, I noticed the Air Conditioner didn't work, our door wouldn't close (had to sleep with an open room), the jacuzzi tubs were unfunctional, no hot water, bad room service, close to no towels, and the water gushed out of the tub whenever you tried to take a shower. The beds were terribly stiff as well, it was nothing short of an awful night.

After leaving the hotel, we proceeded to go to the airport, when I try to use my card to buy a coffee, it gets declined. I had to make a pricy international call to my bank to find out that Hotel Maya Turquesa had also charged my card that night through the booking agency, coming to a price of a wooping 370 dollars for a hostel style hotel for 6 in middle of Playa del Carmen.

The booking agency has been good enough to me to help me solve the situation but the hotel staff keeps reassuring I never paid cash, when I actually have a group of 6 people seeing me pay cash at the counter as well as 2 hotel staff members that were probably laughing behind that "good service" smile. I now have an overdraft in my account and no money to get through the month.

Please stay away from this hotel at all costs. There are cheaper and better places around playa del carmen or cancun/tulum. The other 3 hotel experiences I had in Mexico were beyond amazing compared to this, so I'm guessing it was just the wrong night at the wrong place, with the wrong dishonest staff.

I accept my loss, I would just absolutely hate for anyone to become a victim as I did. Please be safe and keep 100 eyes open when you travel out of the country.

Safe Travels.

Room Tip: Book all your hotels prior to leaving the country.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends