“Good accomodation”
Review of Hotel El Tukan

Hotel El Tukan
Ranked #158 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This is not a 4 or 5 star property, and if you are expecting to be pampered and like luxurious all-inclusive resorts, go elsewhere. This is very clean, basic accomodation with A/C. The location is fabulous, and you can't do much better for the price. This is one of the first "large" (in Playa terms) hotels to be built in the downtown area back in 1995 or 1996. It has a tropical atmosphere, and the pool area is nice. I would not recommend any food package, simply because you are so close to so many great, affordable restaurants. Half the fun of Playa is eating out! I'd be bitterly disappointed if I had to eat at the same place every night.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kam1700
operaciones1, Gerente at Hotel El Tukan, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments,

we hope to see you back soon at one of our tukan hoteles.

manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,344)

Reviewed 1 September 2011

We've stayed at El Tukan twice now: May 2010 and again this May 2011. Both times I had it booked for me by Tank-Ha, the dive shop I go with in PDC. I had read reviews of some people having problems being placed in one of their other properties (other "boutique" hotels in the area), or otherwise not getting what they expected, but we never had that problem at all. We were there a full two weeks this time, and also booked a room for friends for the first 5 days. We had rooms facing the pool; ours on the ground floor (easy walk out to the gardens/pool) and our friend's on the second floor. We booked the "European Plan", breakfast included, which we ate at their restaurant across the street.
This is one of many "budget" hotels, but generally very clean, and certainly a convenient location.
PROS: Good location, good value, clean, nice little pool area, free WiFi.
CONS: Simple rooms, no ice*/fridge.
The pool is small, but a nice little area. If you have a room on the ground floor facing the pool, it's literally a few steps from your garden door. 5th Ave is right outside. They are associated with a property on the beach; you can take their shuttle over there - we always walked (~.8km?). The breakfast buffet was fairly good. Not the selection you find it a large all-inclusive, but sufficient. The rooms are clean but simple (no phone, no fridge, no clock). You could get a glass or two of ice from the living bar, but if you want enough to keep drinks cold, you need to go out a few blocks on 10th Ave. to a convenience store (20 - 24 Pesos/basso). The air conditioners were effective, but since they were in-room, caused some noise, but not hard to get used to.
The staff was friendly and generally helpful, as much as they could be. Example: the lounge chair on our deck broke the second day. Although we told the front desk (and I did say it wasn't urgent) it wasn't fixed when we checked out 2 weeks later. Our in-room water heater started to leak the second week. Although we were told someone would be in to change it the next day, it also wasn't changed when we checked out about 4 days later (but they changed the towels on the floor each day). On the other hand, I reported WiFi failure twice, and on both occasions, the desk made a call and a "guy" showed up and either rebooted the gateway and even climbed a pole to smack the antenna :) By the way, the WiFi coverage improved a to from 2010 to 2011; I had good coverage even in my room this year. I can't be too critical of their maintenance - it's Mexico (and I don't mean that negatively); if it's REALLY critical, they'll take care of it somehow; if it's not, live with it.
One last comment about the garden area: 3 years ago we stayed at the Vista Caribe, 4th St., and although it was very close to the pubic beach, had a fridge, clock, phone, lots of room, we went back to the El Tukan this year mostly because my wife really enjoyed the pool/garden area, right out our back door, while I was away diving.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank scuba_gramps

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your comments,

We hope to see you back soon at one of our tukan hotels,

your comments are very important to us.

sincerely,

Reviewed 19 August 2011

I stayed at El Tukan for 5 das in August 2011. I have had stayed in a few hotels in the area before and El Tukan is about average in comparison. I have received a good deal for the "room only" plan (under 50/night) and it was worth the price. If I would've had to pay full price - I think I would be dissapointed. There is AC and fan in the room but no telephone. Bathrooms are very basic and the layout of the room was weird too but with a lot of closet space. The staff was polite and helpful but nobody would go an extra mile to assist. I am glad I did not get an all-inclusive plan because the food at their restaurants was average/below avergae and there are much better food/service options all over 5a Avenida.
Beach club (Kool) is about 10 minutes away from the hotel and if you don't get all-inclusive option , you can use the chairs and umbrellasbut can not buy food/drinks - have to walk to a different becach clud, which is a bit odd. Plan to get to the beach early in the morning otherwise there will not be any chairs available.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank ninitochka
operaciones1, Manager at Hotel El Tukan, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2011

Reviewed 18 August 2011

I have been going to Playa for the past 9 years and have stayed a variety of hotel in Playa and this was by far the worst place I have ever stayed ANYWHERE!!!!
First off, we booked back in March and was given a description on the room that we would be getting. Which was nothing like we got. I know that things happen, but . . . . .

We get there and they escort us to our room that was a block away the room was nice and modern, then they show us our first floor patio and we sere surrounded by an electric fence!!!!! Now I know Playa and this was just upsetting!

We ask to have a different room that did not make us feel like we were in some kind of jail on our vacation and they said they were booked but would see what they could do. So they bring us back over the the main area of the hotel - which is the older section. They say that they have a suite available but it would cost an extra $20 a night. We agree to look at it. Walking there, it dropped to an additional $10 a night. We walk in and the room is right off the pool and no electric fence in sight, but the room is very well worn and dated and no way considered a suite. As we stand there deciding between the better of the 2 rooms, they tell us we could have if for $50 more for the week. So we take it, at least the electric fence was gone. On the positive side the room was very clean.

One day they did not even bother to clean our room???? One day they only left one towel???

On our second day there, as we were getting ready for the beach, a HUGE cockroach ran across the floor and under the bed! You can call them waterbugs if that makes you feel better, but they are cockroaches. As we attempt to leave the room to notify the front desk, we open the door to be greeted by 100s of cockroaches running for their lives - large and small. The management decided to exterminate. To make things more interesting is that the iguanas were having a field day with all the roaches running around. How about a little notice. The grounds keepers thought is was funny as I ran screaming to the front desk because there were soooo many roaches running they were running across my feet!!!!

One evening we went to exchange our beach towels for the next day. We had used them for 3 days and thought it would nice to have fresh ones. The man at the front desk told us to bring them by in the morning and exchange them then. So we come by the next morning and the new guy at the front desk started yelling at us and refusing to give us clean towels!!! Refusing!!! How do you refuse to give a clean towel, we were not asking for them daily. Needless to say, I stood my ground until we got clean ones.

Then the food!!!! Other than the breakfast, which is hard to screw up, I would not feed their food to my dog!!!! Almost everyday, breakfast through dinner, they served hot dogs!!!! They put hot dogs in everything. I do know that this was not one of those high end all -inclusives, but give me a break. Other than breakfast, we NEVER ate there, it was terrible.

One night we did get to eat with the people who spent more and that food was excellent! I just can't believe they get away with serving such a low standard of food to their other customers!

The only enjoyable part of the stay was the beach club. They share space with the KOOL beach club and they have a great pool right on the beach. The beach bar that the Tukan is very small and offers only low end beer and drinks, but at least there is a place to lay at the ocean. The bar staff was always more than friendly.

Needless to say, we will NEVER stay here again and will tell everyone to NEVER stay there. Very disappointed!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank cheekyprincess007
Tukan M, Gerente at Hotel El Tukan, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2016

Dear cheekyprincess007

I very much regret the bad experience you had with us.

We would like to inform that many things have changed in the hotel, from the services, facilities to the staff. There have been many improvements thanks to the feedback we've received from customers, guests and friends to have greater satisfaction to you our guests.

I extend an invitation for you to stay with us again and is treated as it deserves.

Best regards,
Tukan Hotels and Beach Club

Reviewed 4 August 2011

Hello everybody, I am writing this review in order to help people make the right decision when opting for this hotel! let me start of by saying that we have traveled A LOT, we travel 3-4 times a year and we are in our late 20s and early 30s. So we know what we are talking about!We have done it all- 5 star hotels, 3 star hotels, all inclusives, backpacking,european plans, 4 crusies-we have tried it all! and...we loved El Tukan!

1. If you like the comfort of fancy all inclusive quiet resorts-this is NOT the place for you! this is a very cool hotel, with a lot of vegetation and with an AH-MAZING location- close to the beach, night life,restaurants and even to big supermarkets like Walmart and mega! seriously it has it all. If you like to party and have a good time and like the fact you don't need a taxi for ANYTHING, then this is the place for you.

ROOMS: For a 3 star hotel this place is amazingly clean!We were seriously impressed!The rooms as well as the hotel grounds are impeccably clean!Keep up the good work!The rooms are very basic but very cute.Lots of closet space. yes, the rooms may be a bit louder (but only until midnight) if you are facing the street, but if you have a room facing the pool-no problem at all.

BEDS: we had a queen size bed and it was huge, yes it was a bit hard but nothing you couldn't get used to.

AIR-CONDITIONING: yes the air conditioning was a bit loud, but here is the catch!When you leave the room set the temperature to 20 degrees Celsius or so, that will cool off the room really nicely! then at night, when you are about to go to sleep, set the air conditioning to 25-26 degrees and the room will remain cool but the system would work for a minute or 2 and then go on stand by for 30 mins or so.This way you can sleep with no noise and still enjoy the freshness. During the day the noise didn't bother us at all.

THE FOOD: we only had breakfast included and we must say it was pretty repetitive and not too much choice...but it was DELICIOUS!go to the omelet station and you can ask for any type of eggs or even better, ask for freshly made quesadillas with your choice of ham or chorizo, or both-amazing!some days food was better than others.they had pancakes, french toast, grilled ham and cheese sandwiches,empanadas,tacos dorados and a lot of delish fresh pastries and fruits.No cold cuts and cheeses though. for lunch and dinned there were soooo many restaurants around and really cheap too, we had no problems finding good food.

THE BEACH: is breath taking. white sand and turquoise water. the beach club is great, with a huuuuge clean washroom and shower, and the best thing for us- at noon the DJ starts playing house music at the Kool beach club(which is adjacent to the el tukan beach club).the beach is a 10 minute walk from the hotel, and a very pleasant walk indeed.

LOCATION: the best location ever!we never needed a taxi not even once!we walked to all the restaurants and bars , we walked to Walmart and mega, we walked to the playa del carmen port!If you want all the action close to you-this is the place!

STAFF: was very friendly and nice.we had a few problems with our room keys(they got demagnetized) and our shower wasn't working one day but they fixed the problems pretty fast.

NIGHT LIFE: i must say that this is a perfect hotel for party people. the hotel itself is quiet but the fun is just 2 blocks away! all the best clubs are literally 2 blocks away on 5th avenue and 12th street (the hotel is on 5ht av and 14th street). the clubs are amazing, from Mandala, to Blue Parrot to Pink Elephant and Coco Bongo. The fifth av restaurants and bars die off after midnight and then the party continues on the 12th street.

Hope this review helps and we hope you have an amazing trip like we did.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
11  Thank zvekikreki

Reviewed 30 July 2011

This hotel is located in the 5th avenue in Playa del Carmen (where the action is), it has different types of rooms that goes from hotel to 2 bedroom rooms. I have stayed in this hotel two times, one for new year's eve which was fantastic due to its location. That time I traveled with family and friends and a 2 bedroom was fantasctic as it was a small apartment with two rooms, two bathrooms, kitchen and living room on the first floor overlooking the garden and the pool.
The second time i went with my sister and stayed in a hotel room which was also very comfortable.
The best thing of this hotel is the price, their rates are really worth it due to their location, rooms and service.
It's decoration is mexican style and some rooms have a balcony with a hammock.
They also offer free parking beside the hotel which is very valuable in Playa del Carmen as it can be a hassle to find a place where to leave your car.

Room Tip: They have different room types, from hotel rooms to 2 bedroom apartments.