“Great way to stay in Playa” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel El Tukan
Ranked #138 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
St. Croix
“Great way to stay in Playa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

I like that this hotel is centrally located and easy to walk to all the best spots in Playa del Carmen. I stayed at Tukan for 5 nights. My room was large, modern and clean. The bed and bedding were very comfortable. The shower was roomy. I ate all my breakfasts at La Ceiba (buffet style) and was always satisfied - yummy comfort food. I ate at "Living" one night - Delicious!! The reception staff spoke English and were genuinely nice and helpful. The beach location for Tukan was a bit of a walk and tricky to find, make sure you ask reception before you head out on your own. Once you find it... beautiful, relaxing and fun! I loved people watching. Chairs and towels were provided of course. I would definately stay here again because of its convenient location and comfortable rooms.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank travelngme
operaciones1, Gerente at Hotel El Tukan, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Dear Guest,

In Group Tukan we are dedicated to providing the highest quality and satisfaction to our customers by offering the best service possible.

Management.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Christiansted, St. Croix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

I have just stayed at the Tukan Hotel and Beach Club with my family and I must say it was just great. The newly renovated deluxe rooms are modern and tastefully furnished, the welcome at the the hotel and reception was warm and very friendly and efficient.
We bought the Premium All Inclusive Plan which is worth the money, enjoying all these restaurants ( a la carta Tulipanes at the 5ta Avenida, La Ceiba, Legends Sports Bar, Living Bar and all the other ones at the Real Hotel and TWO beach clubs). The quality of food and service was excellent. They even have a snack service now for the rooms as well. The beach club great, great beach with transfer and well as the location of the hotel was so central, you could walk everywhere in a few minutes. I recommend it to everyone !!! Great Choice ands value for money.

Room Tip: Choose the deluxe rooms and Premium All Inclusive Meal Plan !!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank John S
operaciones1, Gerente at Hotel El Tukan, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Dear Jhon

Management
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

Location is the highlight of the hotel.

Rooms are fine... Service is poor...
We paid in advanced with our reservations for an extra bed, that they never provided.
In a 4 adults and 2kids suite, they only gave us 3 towels, after arguing with the front desk.
Breakfast at La Ceiba Restaurant is average for a roadside Comfort Inn...not what you expect for a Hotel in Playa...and they charge for it!
Pools are small, over chloride.
They need to stress more in service training for employees.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Jose R
operaciones1, Gerente at Hotel El Tukan, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
Dear Guest:

We are very sorry your experience with us.

We can ensure that the foundation of our company is to give satisfaction and total quality to our customers.

Unfortunately we have no report of the details written on their part.

We hope your experience will be allowed to return back to the hotel to improve printing.
regards

new hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

this is the place to stay in Playa del Carmen....comfy rooms, and THE perfect location...reasonable price, right off 5th ave for shopping and you must have the calamari appetizer at the mayan mexican restaurant just a block south...its called Ka'an Kaab

Room Tip: i would say all the rooms are equally good
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank katsglaze
, Gerente at Hotel El Tukan, responded to this review, 14 July 2012

Montville, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

Stayed 1 night. Was afraid to touch anything esp. the bathroom and kitchen area or i'd get the cooties. Bed linens had burn holes in them. The pool was the size of 2 large hot tubs put together. The only plus was the location; it was 1 blk from the beach, a few steps from all the shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank gardenof99
, Gerente at Hotel El Tukan, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear Guest:

We are very sorry your experience with us.

Unfortunately we have no report of the details written on their part.

regards

Travellers are raving about these Playa del Carmen hotels

Santa Rosa, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

Don't believe all the negative reviews you read...I stayed at El Tukan for 12 nights and loved it. This was my 5th visit to Playa and I have previously stayed at luxury all-inclusives---this time I scoped out the location and opted to try Tukan. I found the grounds to be lovely, the rooms more than sufficient, the restaurants good, the pool clean and available, the employees and staff fantastic, but the best thing is the incredible location! Quinta Avenida and all the action is right out the front door--the beach 2 quick blocks, and access to taxis and other activities all right there. The only small problem I had was upon arrival when the reception host gave me a room across the street by La Cieba ( Buffet restaurant) and I did not like it- It was not to my satisfaction because I wanted a view of the garden,pool or Quinta Avenida. So I returned to the desk and told him I needed another room (politely, but firmly) and he insisted that there were no other rooms available. I held my ground, stating that I had paid for the premium all-inclusive for the type of room promised and that was what I expected. The young man told me perhaps I would need to cancel and go find another hotel, and then, magically, he did find another room for me. It was perfect. The on-going construction across the street did not bother me--I simply turned up the a/c and put a pillow over my ears. The hotel is quiet and clean. I saw nothing that some of the other cranky, unsatisfied visitors claim was the norm. The cleaning staff was excellent.
As for the restaurants, I had meals at all of them and found that the La Cieba buffet is great for breakfast with a variety of fresh fruit, yogurts, granola, pastries, omelets to order, cereals and more. I loved Tulipanes for their great service, fresh cerviche, seafood variety, and the presentation of the meals. Either lunch or dinner is great there. I enjoyed coffee and lunches at Legends Sports Bar a block away--well worth the little walk! My favorite was The Living Bar---you could sip cocktails or drink a cold beer while eating tasty, fresh shrimp quesadillas and guacamole, while people watching 5th Avenue.
KOOL Beach Club was a a short 10 minute stroll up the beach or an 80 peso cab ride away. I enjoyed spending my days at the beach there. I was provided with towels, drinks, and a comfortable spot to relax in the sun or under a palapa. The actual beach area is one of the best beaches to swim in---clear water, free of garbage or seaweed, no sand bags, and soft white sand. I was mortified at how few people tip the waiters and towel boys! They deserve to be tipped. A nice secluded beach is about 30 minutes up the beach towards Mamita's---calm, deserted, and peaceful.
Frankly, I would never return to one of the large all-inclusives after my stay at El Tukan. I would much rather stay at a hotel where the staff get to know you by name if given the chance and the respect that they deserve for all their hard work.
If you are the type of person that demands constant entertainment this is not your hotel---I prefer to go find my entertainment on Quinta Avenida, or go on an excursion. I liked the tranquility of the hotel grounds. I booked some excursions with Carlos in the lobby and was more than happy with the prices as well as the quality of the trips. Don't miss Xcaret, and try taking the town ferry across to Cozumel for one day---it's easy and cheap. However, don't shop there---it is much better shopping in Playa. Playa is my personal paradise.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building, facing the grounds, pool or overlooking 5th Avenue. Do not go t...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
11 Thank Lillimarie
, Gerente at Hotel El Tukan, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear Lilli,

St. Albert, Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

A check of the weather map for home and a last minute travel deal resulted in us being on a plane to Playa del Carmen within 12 hours of booking. The package included airfare, hotel, breakfasts and taxes. For the price we were not sure what our hotel would be like, but we were not disappointed. The rooms were clean and the gardens around the property were beautiful and very lush. The front desk staff were very friendly. Our special thanks to Juana whom must have graduated from "towel art school" as every day we had a new and beautiful display to greet us upon returning to our room. The breakfast was good but nothing outstanding. Other than we were a little surprised that they soak pineapple in a spicy juice of some sort. If there is a downside to El Tukan it would be the bar along 5a Avenida. The music was loud and made conversation difficult over an annoying rap beat. The prices were ridiculously high with one beer here costing more than two margueritas just steps down the street. To summarize we found this smaller hotel quaint and relaxing. Just our style as we prefer to avoid large touristy resorts.

Room Tip: The garden area around the pool would be the best rooms to relax. There is construction on a new hot...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple