“nice place to stay”

Hotel Riviera Caribe Maya
Ranked #26 of 183 Playa del Carmen B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 April 2013

we were quite happy with our stay at riviera caribe maya in playa del carmen...being on 10th rather than 5th and being at the further end of the strip 30th street we were away from the hustle and bustle...the strip seems more laid back towards that end...and the price was great!
it does not offer meals but with the money we saved we had lovely meals out and stocked the mini-fridge with yogurt, granola bars, fruit, etc.
the hotel was very clean and well maintained and the front desk had the same rotation of staff so it was quite personal. the attention to detail is nice with couches, pillows and a library in the common areas. we were restocked with honey shampoo and coconut lotion each day too.
beds are firm but comfortable, big pillows, many towels, a/c and fan, and wi fi in common areas. my boyfriend disliked that but i was happy as it kept us from being plugged in the whole trip.
the garden courtyard with the pool was lovely like a little oasis.
it was a 30 second walk to 5th avenue, a 10 minute walk to the Mega grocery store, and about an 8 minute walk to the beach...well located.
the only thing that could be improved on is that when you sit at the pool you can see and hear the cars whiz past on 10th ave. they could benefit from building a wall to help eliminate some of the traffic noise in order to be a really tranquil pool area.

we quite enjoyed our time at this lovely hotel...we would stay again.
thank you to everyone there who made our stay special.

Room Tip: we payed a bit less and got a room without a boucany or pool deck...but ours was actually a bigger r...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank eco_girl55

Reviewed 5 April 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Riviera Caribe for 3 weeks in Feb 2013. I found the hotel to be an excellent deal. It's in a prime location (one block off 5th Av) and just a few blocks from the beach. The staff were all friendly and accommodating. I plan on returning next winter.

Room Tip: I prefer the ground floor. I was in and out of my room so much, first floor worked best for me.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Friendly staff, great maids and comfortable. This our second time to stay at this hotel. Both times we were treated so well. it's a moderate priced place just a block off 5th. Beds are firm, rooms are clean and air conditioned. Small but nice pool in the courtyard. Staff recommend several excellent authentic resturaunts off the beaten path but within easy walking distance
We'd definitely return

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank retired1309
Reviewed 24 January 2013

This hotel is in a great location, 2 short blocks to the beach and 1 block to shops and restaurants. Very friendly staff and free Wi-Fi in lobby area. Very clean and comfortable rooms with airconditioning and balcony overlooking courtyard pool. Very affordable!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank DonnaS8
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Booked this hotel based on tripadvisor reviews that put it on the "could be good/could not be good" category. I booked this hotel for a week (7 days) over New Years with the understanding that New Years eve could get a bit loud.. I was ok with that.

The good - Hotel is in a good location close to 5th ave and shops that tend to be less aggressive with tourists. The hotel is also close to Mamitas Beach Club where you can get a discounted chair rental for days at the beach. The beach at Maitas fill sup fast, so get there early. the maids are the best thing about the hotel.. they work hard.

The bad - This hotel is right next door to a new night club, Voga that blasts music until the wee hours of the morning. The hotel neglects to tell people this and once you're in the hotel and have paid, you're stuck with the room and the noise. The nightclub operates thursday through sunday nights and even with earplugs you WONT be able to sleep. It's insane. My travel companion and I had no idea this would be the case until we arrived to the hotel one evening and could not even hold a conversation with one and other without yelling... it was that loud. I asked at the front desk and their answer was "were sold out, nothing we can do". The beds are insane.. imaging the cheapest mattress in the world..covered in wood and wrapped in plastic.. this is what the bed is like. My companion and I even though about going to the pool and sleeping in the lounge chairs as that would have been more comfortable. I needed three massages to compensate for the hard mattress. The room smelled of sewer gas if the bathroom door was closed. The wi-fi works for about 5 minutes while you are holing your devices in various angles to try and get reception. The doors to the rooms are flimsy and there are no peep holes to see who might be outside your door. The rooms have a key with a giant key chain that you either have to leave with the front desk or lug around with you all day long.. annoying. They charge 1.00 a day to use the safe.. dumb.. it should be included.

I had it with this hotel on day 5. No help from the front desk. Their answer to everything is "were sold out, there is nothing we can do" or "what do you want me to do about that".. very annoying. I am a very savvy traveler and do not require luxury.. just basic accommodations and a comfortable place to sleep.. this hotel cant even get that right. I checked out two days early and moved to a resort where I knew that I would have less noise and comfortable bed to sleep in. Upon checkingout the front desk asked me why I was leaving and I explained. They offered no apology only that I was NOT getting a refund for two days. Nice. Thats the type of service you will get at this hotel.. all about them taking your money!

I left two shirts in the closet and called to see if I could come get them.. suddenly they disappeared.. even though it was two hours later.

Room Tip: If you must use the hotel.. avoid room 204
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank tlabossiere
Reviewed 5 January 2013

My family and I stayed in one of the suites in the hotel. The location is wonderful. It is 1 block from 5th Ave., where all of the great restaurants and shops are, and 2 blocks from the beach. Because it is not directly on 5th Ave., it remained quiet at night, but it was still close enough to walk to everything.

The hotel itself is very nice. Our rooms were large and the bathroom was very big too (though it did not smell so great). The room was clean and the cleaning staff did a very nice job each night. There is Wifi in the lobby, but not in the room, but we preferred this since it ensured we didn't spend too much time on our gadgets. You can also rent a safe key for $1/day, so we felt very safe and knew our things would be secure. We did not find the mattresses too hard, as some other reviewers did. The AC worked very well.

The staff was VERY friendly and helpful. They gave us recommendations and were very pleasant to deal with. There is a small pool in the hotel which has chairs, hammocks, and palm trees surrounding it that was clean and refreshing. The price of the room includes a modest breakfast at a cafe a block away (coffee, juice, and a croissant). They also give you beach towels and coupons to a beach club that is about 2 blocks away which was a really great spot to relax.

I also want to note since I did not see this in other reviews that we rented a car for the duration of our stay, and even though the hotel does not have parking spaces, we did not have trouble finding parking on the street and never had to park more than 1 block away. Also there is no elevator so if you are on the top floor like us, you will have to walk up 2 flights of stairs.

Overall, staying at this hotel really helped make our vacation wonderful. I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend it to friends. Great deal for the price!

Room Tip: King suites have 2 rooms with king sized beds and a large bathroom with a jacuzzi tub.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Hadashadas
Reviewed 9 December 2012

This is a boutique hotel that has a great location in Playa - only one block from 5th street and all the shops and restaurants of the pedestrian mall. It has a neat lobby, circular staircase and fun wall-less shower that you step into (no door, no curtain). These equal a fun architecture. There were no screens on the windows, but I guess people usually run the air conditioner. The pool area is small and quite pretty. It was too cool for us to swim, but the pool looked nice. Our only complaint was that the bed was rock hard. Still, I would stay here again. It was a very weel-priced hotel and a great value.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple