“A very nice little hotel.” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Riviera Caribe Maya
Ranked #24 of 175 Playa del Carmen B&B and Inns
Eugene, Oregon
“A very nice little hotel.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2009

Very friendly staff, clean, convenient location to beach and 5th Ave., but away from the crowds. 15 blocks to the ferry/bus station/collective vans, but we like to walk so no problem for us. Rooms were kept clean, enough towels & supplies each day, grreat firm beds! Bathrooms could be a little improved, water presssure low but adequate. Liked that they provided beach towels. Felt seucre and comfortable. Hotel was airy & cozy.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Ocean Grove, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2009

This a good choice for a budget hotel. The location is great. 1 Block from 5th avenue and 2.5 blocks from the beach. The first room we were given had a moldy smell. When I asked to be switched the girl at the front desk laugh and admitted that they get complaints about that room all the time. It took 2 days before they had a new room to switch us to. The new room had no odor. The landscaping around the pool and courtyard are maintained well. The house keeping staff did a great job cleaning the room. I did find that in the hotel there is a mosquito problem. I must have been bitten 20 times. Mosquitoes seem pretty common throughout Playa del Carmen though.

I would not recommend Mamitas Beach Club. The lounge chairs are old and uncomfortable. The waiters are rude. If you are not drinking and eating a lot they continually ask if you would like your check trying to get rid of you. I did like the beach club karma right next to Mamitas, The waiters are much more pleasant and attentive. The lounge chairs are more comfortable too.

If you like gelato the best place we found was Aldo's gelateria. Did not find any great restaurants in Playa. We did like Los Comales for Mexican food.

If you are planning to take a side trip to Tulum or other spot I would recommend going tot the main bus terminal on 5th ave. The tour companies charge $60-95 to Tulum. We paid $9 for the bus to Tulum. The was was new, comfortable, had TV, and a clean bathroom.

If I went back I would probably stay Hotel Aventura Mexicana.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Misquitos
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank img712
nc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2008

I went to Playa a couple of years ago with one of my friends. I loved this hotel, mostly, but there were a few things that were not so good.
Since May of 2006, has the flushing problem improved? we were suppose to put our toilet paper in bags, rather than flushing after use. I didn't, but chose to only use a few squares at a time. (You know, I kept this up for a couple of weeks after returning to the states.) I think the water pressure has/had its challenges in parts of Mexico. Some people hated the hard beds, but you know, I slept like a rock on it. (no pun intended). I froze though; don't remember if I asked for a blanket or not. The free toast breakfast around the corner was great. Seriously, probably the best toast I've ever had.
Lucy was our room attendant. She was sweet and attentive.
I'm thinking about coming back for another visit.
Best thing about 5th st, the upper half, after the round-a-bot; that is where it is more "real" or at least it was a few years ago.
Have fun!!

• Liked — the beautiful open, airlly lobby area and very nice employees
  • Disliked — the flushing ordeal, wanted more towels, and no blanket.
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled with friends
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2008

My boyfriend and I just got back from a week at the Hotel Riviera Caribe Maya, and it was an fantastic place. Located in a quiet spot, right where you need to be (only a block from the main strip) and only 3 short blocks from the beach. Staff was very nice. Air conditioning was excellent. Pool was AMAZING. It always had some shade so you could swim without getting sunburned (relief from being under the relentless sun at the beach), and it was warm and clean, and often was completely empty! VERY enjoyable. I would absolutely stay there again but have to mention that the shower we had did not have more than 2 minutes of hot water at a time, not sure why. Also the bed was not very comfortable. There is a mattress protector that shifts a lot and there was just a flat sheet on it.. not a fitted sheet. The hotel was very clean however, and had room towels and beach towels (which was much appreciated). Also had lots of closet and cabinet space. It was a fantastic place to stay in a beautiful place.
Other Playa recommendations:
Yaxche- for dinner, affordable/delicious food and a wonderful waitstaff (on 8th between 5th and 10th)
La Cueva del Chango- for breakfast and lunch, amazing menu, all the food was incredible (on 38th between 5th and the beach)

• Liked — Pool, Location, Price
  • Disliked — Bed, Shower
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank taratopaz
Flagstaff, AZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2008

The Riviera Caribe Maya is a very clean hotel with excellent working air conditioning... but the reason we gave the hotel an okay rating is because the beds are VERY uncomfortable. I am the type of person who can sleep anywhere, but these beds were out of control hard. My husband unfortunately has a bad back, and the bed made the few days here a little agonizing for him. He got the deck cushions off the deck to make softer beds, which seemed to help (and he likes his beds hard too). The bed was also called a king, but it was really two twin beds pushed together, which made sleeping together uncomfortable (you would start to fall into the middle of the bed, and we were on our honeymoon). As I said, the AC is great, almost a little too good, we would go to bed hot and wake up cold, but we had sleeping bags with us to warm back up (you have to ask for comforters, but the hotel is happy to provide you with them), I would rather have an over ambitious Ac than one that doesn't work, so no complaints with that.

The beds are really the only disappointment we had with the hotel, everything else is really nice! They even have free internet in the lobby. The staff was very helpful with directing us to the bank and pointing us toward local eateries. The location of the hotel is pretty good, being one block off 5th Ave. it was nice to walk home easily at night (although the hotel is at the end of 5th Ave, but the walk to where most of the restaurants and stores are is not far at all). I think it may be kind of nice to be on the end of 5th Ave as there are many clubs that can be noisy at night, well they were noisy right around the club, but I never heard a sound while sleeping at the hotel.

We ate at Aca Los Tacos a bunch of times, if you get onto 5th ave and start to walk south it is on the right hand side. They have really good tacos and they are open late, so we would get tacos on our way home at 11p or 12a. It is a little pricer than in town, but you are on 5th Ave, and only a couple blocks from the hotel. They give you a bunch of salsas with chips before your meal, great if you like the spicy stuff... be careful if you don't, they only have one mild salsa and it looks very much like their hot! Very good though, highly recommended! (meal for 2; 6 tacos, 2 sodas, 2 beers; $15USD)

We also went diving with Pluto Dives, they are only two blocks from the hotel, and the couple who runs it are very nice. (It was my first time, and I had a little problem breathing with the regulator, your not supposed to swallow the air, but our instructor kept me close and made me feel really comfortable. The next day I was a pro!) I think you can get packages with the hotel and the dive shop. We went on 2 dives (2 ppl) for about $300 (with tip).

• Liked — Clean!
  • Disliked — uncomfortable beds!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MtnGirlandBoy
Sheffield, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2008

Coming from the UK and having know about and researched Playa and the Yucatan, myself and my girlfriend (my 30th during the trip, her being 28), wanted a decent mexican run quaint hotel, away from all the american crap but still close to the beach etc. The hotel was to be a base so we could explore playa and visit the various Mayan sites, centotes and hit the beaches.

This was perfect.

- 2 mins walk from beach.
- At the North (cool) end of town, as far away from the huge hotels as possible. 10th avenue is where all the shops and restaraunts are, this hotel is one road away from it.
- Nice and quiet.
- Awesome staff who bent over backwards when we extended our stay at short notice (thanks Alexandro! :)
- Great remote control air con and ceiling fan
- Hot water 24/7 and great pressue (we stayed in 2 rooms, one had slightly better water pressure than the other)
- Small fridge with soft drinks & water (Coke around 60-70p a can)
- Sturdy safe deposit boxes in wardrobes
- Nice pool and deck chairs in small ish courtyard for when you need time out from the beach
- free internet courtesy of a pc in the lobby (no USB acces tho)
- onsite pooch (aptly names 'yoga dog' by a previous poster. Dog's so friendly. Came into our ground floor room and got fed cookies :)
- nice hard beds (mexicans dont have sprung mattresses)

Tips

When you arrive at Playa bus station (get ADO bus from Cancun airport, not taxi, it's £4 and it's better than UK busses). The hotel is about 10 mins walk down 10th avenue. We got a cab for about £2.

When you check in, ask for a safe key while your there (saves going back after). It's 50p a day.

They give half price discount to 'Mamitas' beach club. Beach clubs are just guys on the beach that let you rent lounge chairs, beds (yip, they have beds on the beach) etc.

Breakfast is also included on some rooms

Places to Eat -

The more you venture up 10th, the more expensive the restaraunts and shops get, since your going towards the americanized part of town. Nothing against it, if that's what you like, fair enough. Personally I went to mexico for the ppl, the food and the culture.

'Quinta pasion' is a small Mexicoa run restraunt between 10th and 5th avenue, just next to the hotel. It's on c28 i think. 2 can eat with drinks for £15 and the foods amazing. all of it.

'Babes' is in 2 locations and sells amazing food to the locals. It's a noodle bar, but it's cheap and very popular. Try the swedish meetballs, one of their specialities. Was gorgeous...

'Blue lobster' about half way down 10th if you want Mexican sea food. Ate there twice and it was lovely. Also tried the local lobster which is huge. 2 could dine on one.

Remember

- Mosquito repellent. Apply when you go out after dusk. Mainly on feet and ankles.
- Toilets are pretty rustic like in some places in Europe. Paper goes in separate bin.
- Don't leave your room open after dusk or you'll get mosquitoes in there.

Hope this helps someone, as this site did me. Many thanks for a lovely holiday. Will definately come back if I'm ever in Playa once more.

All the best.

• Liked — service, location and price
  • Disliked — nothing reall
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Welshy_2002
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2008

The Hotel Riviera Caribe Maya is a nice little hotel in a great location. One block off 5th street, the pedestrian avenue with restaurants, bars, shops, etc, this hotel was convenient to everything. The room was very comfortable, plenty of space, AC, hot water. The staff was very friendly and spoke English very well. If you are looking for a comfortable, affordable, place that is not all-inclusive, I recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo