“Great casual place.”

Ranked #20 of 166 Playa del Carmen B&B and Inns
Denver, CO
“Great casual place.”
Reviewed 19 February 2010

If you don't like big resort, but you still like to stay at the nice place, this is it. I've read somewhere that it is a "boutique" hotel, and this expression exactly reflects the vibe of this place. It is very clean with modern decor. We had a room on the first floor, five feet away from pool. Place was very quiet all the time, and only occasionally other guests were playing at the pool. It is perfect for a romantic getaway! Location is also great, just one block from 5th Ave. and few blocks away from the beach. Beach on this side of Playa is really nice and sandy. You just can't go wrong with this place.
Advice: we explored entire 5th Ave. and it turned out that bars and restaurants on the 5th Ave. on "our" side (closest to the hotel) are the cheapest and that's where the locals actually party, so stay close. Taxi ride to local supermarket was only $2.5 each way a couple of years ago...so much better than walking in the heat. For a day trip, I recommend going to Cozumel (take ferry) and rent a scooter, it was the best time ever to ride around island (around $30 per day and remember to bring you credit card and passport with you). Have fun.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Merida
Reviewed 12 February 2010

I have been staying here for 2 years. Paola and her staff, Mariano, Maestro, Arturo and the rest of the staff are friendly, fun, very helpful and care about your experience here at the hotel. The rooms are very comfortable, free internet, fridges, very nice pool, and always so clean. The location is my favorite, close to the action walkable to everything including Mamitas beach 2 blocks away. And, EASY PARKING which is hard to find! Stay here and it will be your favorite place, and such a deal!! (pay cash and save 12% on tax)

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 31 January 2010

On our many visits to Playa del Carmen we stay at Hotel Riviera Caribe Maya. The location is perfect, about a block or two from 5th Ave at 30th Street, which means it's quiet and peaceful, yet close enough to walk to 5th Ave for the shopping and restaurants. The beach is also a short 5 minute walk. The rooms are well kept, simple and clean. The beds are definately not "heavenly beds" like at the Westin, their a bit firm, but that's fine with me as long as their clean. The pool is great, always very clean and great to relax in the afternoons. My only complaint about our room is that the TV was small, it must have been a 13", but it had satellite, and besides, who really watches TV in Playa? They have a really nice lounge area with a computer and free internet access. The grounds are always spotless and the staff is polite and helpful. We really enjoy staying in a ground floor room with a balcony that has easy access to the pool. What I really like is that it's a small inn, which makes it very intimate. This place really meets all my standards, cleanliness, location and price.

There's a really good restaurant near the hotel, I think it's right on the corner of 30th and 5th, you'll see it as you leave the hotel and walk towards 5th ave, it has a trendy atmosphere and there's always a lot of people eating there, they make great Argentinian Beef Empanadas.

I would definately stay here again and have recommended this hotel to friends/family and they have stayed here and have only positive things to say about this hotel!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 21 December 2009

I found this hotel through Trip Advisor and am so happy with my stay at this property!
The staff is so helpful and our room was amazing for the price! We stayed in the King Suite wth Balcony (Room 208) and was very happy. The suite is two rooms, with a king size bed in each room, a huge balcony, and a very big bathroom with jacuzzi tub.
The beds are a little hard but the staff was quick to put a foam mattress pad on the beds upon request. There was also a tv in each room, and a mini bar fridge in one room. The water pressure in the shower is not the strongest or hottest, but it was acceptable. Breakfast was also included with the room. I took the pop and water out of the fridge ($1 each if you want them) and bought my own water and drinks at the local Walmart (a $4 cab ride from the hotel) The pool is small but nice and clean and just the right size. For those of you who cant live without your Starbucks, there is one a block away. The beach club is a 3 minute walk (2 blocks away) The hotel is in the far end of 5th avenue (north end) in what I consider the "classier" part of 5th. Dont listen to anyone who says its sooooo far away from the action on 5th because the restaurants and bars in this area are wonderful! Anyone who says its far is just plain lazy! I walked the entire strip from end to end every day and it was great every time! (20 minute walk end to end) Treat yourself to an $18 massage on the beach -- just walk down 14th and make a right onto the beach and walk til you see the place with the black foam beach beds - thats the best one I found. So nice to have a massage on the beach with the warm breeze wafting over your body and hearing the waves. HEAVEN!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank RelaxMeToronto
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed 17 September 2009

Let me say this to begin with: You DO NOT need an all-inclusive property if you stay in the city. If you are looking for 5-star this is not the hotel for you. But this hotel serves its purpose in a town full of great things to do.

The hotel itself is small and somewhat cozy. The rooms are small, as is the bathroom, but they serve just a fine purpose as you should not be spending too much time in the room. Playa del Carmen is a wonderful place to explore which brings me to the biggest drawback of the hotel. While it is close to 5th Avenue, it is on the far end of it. Had this hotel been a little closer to the center of town it would have been much better. Its location will help you walk off dinner from the night before though (need to try the seafood).

We never used the pool as we never really spent much time on the hotel. The staff was always friendly and created a homely atmosphere as some staff members brought their dog to work. As I said earlier, the bathrooms are very small though I did enjoy the open shower. Be careful though is its easy to get water all over.

We didnt make it to the beach very often which was partly due to the weather, but also because we liked to adventure out and explore. We made a trip to Chichen Itza which was great and also walked constantly around exploring all the city. There are more than enough places to eat, shop, and drink if you just go find it.

We plan on going back as soon as we can, though we may stay at a hotel closer to the center of town next time.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JoeFlip
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 12 September 2009

If you see the reviews there are some complaints about a hard bed, and it was indeed hard, you can request them to put a mattress cover over the mattress and that made the bed feel better.
The breakfast is very simple, coffee/milk/bread and the front desk was slow.
Our reservation was not in their records when we got there.

The good things:
Good location, it was clean, well maintained and had a computer with fast internet.

I do not remember about noise, but I always sleep with a ear plug.

Please let me know if you want to know anything else.

Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
San Pedro, Belize
Reviewed 3 July 2009

I used to live in Playa del Carmen, so I knew the exact area I wanted to stay - somewhere QUIET, and that can be very difficult to get in Playa within walking distance to town.

The price was right, my room was spotless, the housekeeping staff was very caring, and the entire Front Desk staff excellent. Carlos went out of his way to help me one day when I needed a massage but also needed to pay credit card. (a new Spa within easy walking distance called Vida).

I felt very safe as a single woman, I never once used the safe nor had any concern that any of my items (laptop etc...) might go missing, I found the staff to be very responsive, the room comfortable, the a/c worked well, the shower was a little cold for me, and the internet pretty spotty, but all in, this is a great value!

La Cueva del Chango restaurant is within easy walking distance, this restaurant has been in Playa forever and caters to locals and tourists alike. The food is excellent and I had most of my meals there. Just walk north to 38th, this is also a great place to hit the beach if you don't go for the commercialism and crowds of Mammitas.

I was also enjoyed visiting my friends at Bad Boys Beach Bar at the beach between 2nd and 4th (Captain Dave has been a friend for years) And horseback riding in the jungle and the along the most amazing beach with my friend Lisa who now owns Baaxal Ranch.

I would highly recommend this hotel (and I can stay with friends for free if I want).

Stayed June 2009, travelled on business